Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

Blimpkin posted:

So the dog is gone, and my cat has been eating better already. She also pooped last night which makes me feel a whole lot better. I took her bell-collar off and she seemed to feel alot better about it all now that she is silent once more.

However, I have noticed her drinking from my bedside water cup yesterday and today, this behavior may have been going on for a long time. Have I been risking anything by not realizing for months that she may have been drinking my water? Note: I hadn't noticed it ever before this week, and now she has been doing it right in front of me, so I think she hasn't been doing it until I've been seeing her.

Glad your cat is happier.

As for her drinking your water, my cats do that too. The main risk, in my experience, is when the cat turns the glass of water over on top of you while you're sleeping. After the 4th or 5th time, I got a cup with a lid and use either that or a water bottle when as my bedside water cup.

The Happy Hyperbole posted:

The problem is, within the past 3 months or so they have periods of time where they become exceedingly aggressive with each other. It typically starts with the female beginning to yowl and hiss whenever she sees her brother, which leads to him chasing her and her shrieking like he's trying to murder her. They don't really fight, just swat each other a bit before one of them takes off, but she goes on high defensive and the sight of him sets her back off. After this happens they both will spend hours or days where they are constantly looking over their shoulders for the other. The male tends to try and find her, but then just sits a bit away and stares while she kicks up a ton of racket. This has lasted a few days at a time before, but just as randomly as it begins they'll just stop and go back to behaving normally.

So, what the gently caress? Is there something causing this kind of behavior, or some way I can help try to resolve whatever keeps setting them off? Because it is exceptionally frustrating having them both losing their minds for no reason, and each time it happens there's the worry they won't snap back and start acting normal again.

Any kind of advice is appreciated.

Two questions:

When was the last time the female cat went to the vet? It's possible with any behavioral change that there is something wrong and the cat is sick/in pain and reacting to the other cat because of this. Definitely worth checking out.

Are there lots of strays outside? My youngest male cat gets really upset when stray cats (presumably not fixed) are outside and he can see/smell them. It makes him lash out at the other cats and everything (including us) freaks him out and makes him yowl like crazy. After a few hours, he typically calms down and is fine again, but the first time it happened we couldn't figure it out. The second time, we saw the stray cat outside the window. He also did this when a new neighbor with a dog moved in next door (apartment building, so he could smell the dog through the door). After awhile he calmed down and the dog coming and going was no longer a threat. So I'd check for any things that have changed in the environment that may be causing this.

If a vet determines nothing is wrong and you can't find anything that might be upsetting the cat, you might try Feliway. Others have had success with it calming their cats down if they're upset.

Nione fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinks
May 9, 2004
Just cos a rape kit came up positive, that doesn't mean she was raped!

Blimpkin posted:

So the dog is gone, and my cat has been eating better already. She also pooped last night which makes me feel a whole lot better. I took her bell-collar off and she seemed to feel alot better about it all now that she is silent once more.

However, I have noticed her drinking from my bedside water cup yesterday and today, this behavior may have been going on for a long time. Have I been risking anything by not realizing for months that she may have been drinking my water? Note: I hadn't noticed it ever before this week, and now she has been doing it right in front of me, so I think she hasn't been doing it until I've been seeing her.

My cat is a fucker for this. Trust me, your cat does it in the still of the night and you wake up and drink cat water.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

cross post from yospos, but: cat acquired

He couldn't figure out the cage so i just sorta led him in and shut the gate manually. Off to the vet we went.

FIV free, worm free, disease free over all. Got beginning shots, a flea pill, a second visit four weeks from now. he handled it all great, the vet was super confident he'd adjust.

He is definitely a he, ten weeks old, and a fuckin' champ. welcome home little buddy

revolther
May 27, 2008
edit nevermind

revolther fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jul 30, 2013

The Happy Hyperbole
Jan 27, 2009

What's he up to now? Hard to say since we're not telling him what to do.

Nione posted:

Glad your cat is happier.

Two questions:

When was the last time the female cat went to the vet? It's possible with any behavioral change that there is something wrong and the cat is sick/in pain and reacting to the other cat because of this. Definitely worth checking out.

Are there lots of strays outside? My youngest male cat gets really upset when stray cats (presumably not fixed) are outside and he can see/smell them. It makes him lash out at the other cats and everything (including us) freaks him out and makes him yowl like crazy. After a few hours, he typically calms down and is fine again, but the first time it happened we couldn't figure it out. The second time, we saw the stray cat outside the window. He also did this when a new neighbor with a dog moved in next door (apartment building, so he could smell the dog through the door). After awhile he calmed down and the dog coming and going was no longer a threat. So I'd check for any things that have changed in the environment that may be causing this.

If a vet determines nothing is wrong and you can't find anything that might be upsetting the cat, you might try Feliway. Others have had success with it calming their cats down if they're upset.

It's been about six months since the last time I got them to the vet. They're both up on their shots and generally nice healthy animals. The real problem is I can't tell if the female is acting out due to sickness or stress because she's always been incredibly highly strung. Not only generally skittish, but she's never really played with the male, and is generally always a little panicky. Because of this it's kind of hard to see if there is a period of stress that leads up to these incidents. Right now I have them separated and I have some food, water, and litter laid out for her so I can see if she's eating and going to the bathroom.

There are a few strays in the neighborhood, just one or two cats, and one has hung around our driveway before. Our windows are all covered, though, so I don't think they've seen any other animals around. It could be they're smelling something and getting set off, but it's really hard to tell with how they flip out at seemingly random times.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

He couldn't figure out the cage so i just sorta led him in and shut the gate manually. Off to the vet we went.

FIV free, worm free, disease free over all. Got beginning shots, a flea pill, a second visit four weeks from now. he handled it all great, the vet was super confident he'd adjust.

He is definitely a he, ten weeks old, and a fuckin' champ. welcome home little buddy

Woo! I came to the thread hoping you'd have an update! I'm glad things went so smoothly. Does he seem like he's totally feral, or is he okay with being touched?

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I picked up a 4-5 year old stray male at the beginning of the year. Turns out he has diabetes insipidous which is apparently a rare condition that prevents his body from processing water correctly. This causes him to down 1.5-2 quarts of water daily, and piss just as much. Otherwise he's fine and acts like normal cat. After so many months of this, it's getting tiring. To top it off, he's not at all affectionate like my other cat. He doesn't even like to be petted. It's a very unrewarding relationship. All he does is scream for more water. The most troublesome bit is how much litter I go through, buying 40 lb bags of Swheat Scoop weekly.

The medication he requires costs somewhere around $300 monthly. I've never bought it, opting instead to make sure he has water. That's just not working out for me. I've called a few rescue centers, and they don't seem to know what his condition is even after I explain it. I'm afraid of giving him to a person since I'm positive that they'll get sick of him and put him out where he can't get the water he needs. It must have been what happened when I found him near death. Can't euthanize him either, since he's healthy as can be as long as he stays hydrated.

Are there any rescue centers within like 3 hours of central Ohio that anyone can recommend? Any alternatives?

:edit:
whelp gee thanks

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 27, 2013

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

The vet tech was handling him pretty well after the first couple minutes. i've only barely touched him.

The vet seemed to think he was stray, not feral, whatever the difference is. He's tucked underneath my sink right now. I figure I'll pretty much leave him be today.

Sareini
Jun 7, 2010
My four-year-old black howler of a cat, Cracker, has just spent the past two days going back and forth to the vets with us to have an abscess on her face checked out and drained (we'd originally thought it was conjunctivitis as her eye was slightly swollen at first and watering a lot, but when the side of her face under her eye swelled up so she looked like a prize fighter, that changed). This morning the vet checked her over, drained about half the abscess (the other half started draining last night on its own) and injected her with painkillers and some more anti-inflammatory meds to help with the discomfort and to help take the remaining swelling down. She's got another appointment on Wednesday to see how she's doing and antibiotics with her food until then.

Since we got her back, however, she's been acting... off. Specifically, sitting in her cat carrier (we had to take the top off when we got back to check on her) and refusing to come out of it. She's eaten, cleaned herself and purred a little when we fuss her, but other than that she just sits there, seemingly staring into space. My partner says she's just stoned off her kitty head on the painkillers, but I have a panic disorder and so I just want to be sure I'm not missing something. So is she just stoned, mildly traumatised, or Option C?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Blimpkin posted:

You've been drinking cat water, good job. The bigger thing I'd worry about is if you're drinking from a glass, and if it's possible for your cat to knock it onto the floor in one of many attempts to assassinate you.

Congratulations on your new cat, I fear for your shower curtains. Your bathroom is plenty big enough for him. I'd suggest a hooded litterbox if you can so stuff doesn't fall in the cat litter in the bathroom(like stray shower water at the very least).

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Our vet has prescribed a different diet to help with our cat's digestive problems.

We currently give him "Royal Canin Hypoallergenic Selected Protein" in 5.6 oz cans. We buy a case of 24 for around $60 direct from the vet.

I'm trying to find this online anywhere possibly for cheaper, and I'm having difficulty. If anyone knows of any sites that'd be great. I also can't seem to find it in any smaller cans either. 5.6 oz is a little bit too much for one serving and I'd like the smaller cans if they're even made. Thanks.

edit: It's this. Looks like it's not much cheaper.

second edit: Jesus, it requires a prescription? Wtf. I guess I have to get it straight from the vet then.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Nione posted:

I'm assuming the fighting is the typical growling, hissing, chasing, smacking kind of cat fighting (which is normal) and not screeching, blood drawing, real fighting? If so, then that all sounds completely normal to me. Your kitten is an rear end in a top hat. Your older cat is teaching it manners. As long as no one is getting injured, it's fine and your kitten, as it gets older, will get along better with the older cat. I'd actually be more concerned if the older cat didn't put the kitten in its place when it got to be too much. Our cats are 4, 11, and 12. There are times when the youngest still irritates the older ones, but there are other times when they all cuddle up and clean each other. It just takes time for them to figure out where they stand in "cat hierarchy."

Yeah it's not full blown fighting but the older one just seems like she can't be bothered with the younger one at all and has taken to disappearing out of the kitchen window (inaccessible to the kitten) for long periods of time, as well as being moody when in the house. I guess we'll wait and see how it develops.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

the posted:

second edit: Jesus, it requires a prescription? Wtf. I guess I have to get it straight from the vet then.
Your vet can give you a written prescription so that you can get the food online or wherever you want.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

I'll just preface this but saying that I'm already going to be paying the vet a visit, but a little piece of mind before then would be nice.

Something is up with one of my cat's rear legs, and he growls at you if you touch it. However, he has moved around a little bit. He jumped on the couch where he's currently sleeping and he has moved to different spots and positions on the couch. He also had some really foul smelling anal-leakage diarrhea. I've suspected he had worms and have treated him for that as well if that's relevent, and have also cut some pretty big clumps of matted fur out.

So what are the chances his leg is straight up broken versus a nasty bruise or something of that nature? Is there anything I can do in the meantime as well?

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
My fluffy cat, Figaro, is at the emergency vet. Congestive heart failure. He's only 5.

We decided to try and get his symptoms under control and then make a decision based on how he's doing after 12 hours. If he can breathe easier and the medication starts to work then we'll deal with pilling him and the various follow-up visits until his quality of life becomes something I'm not comfortable with.

I really didn't expect to have to make any sort of life or death decisions for my cat this early. He's still so very young. It sucks. Today just sucks.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Esmerelda posted:

My fluffy cat, Figaro, is at the emergency vet. Congestive heart failure. He's only 5.

We decided to try and get his symptoms under control and then make a decision based on how he's doing after 12 hours. If he can breathe easier and the medication starts to work then we'll deal with pilling him and the various follow-up visits until his quality of life becomes something I'm not comfortable with.

I really didn't expect to have to make any sort of life or death decisions for my cat this early. He's still so very young. It sucks. Today just sucks.

I'm so, so sorry. I lost my 2 yo Torgo from congestive heart failure last year. It wouldn't be easy no matter how old your cat is, but I definitely think the shock when they are young makes it worse. I hope he pulls through and you get many more years together.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
I need a touch of advice. I've adopted a new kitty, and he's 9, much older than any other cat I've ever adopted. Couldn't help it though, seconds after they opened the cage at the shelter he was rubbing against my legs and purring and giving me headbutts and that was it, I melted.

Is there anything I should know about bringing in an old duffer versus a young cat? I know the standard introduction procedure, and Mr. Carsons is comfortable around dogs (he had one in his old house) so I'm not concerned about him not getting on with the other pets as long as introductions go well in a few days, but with him being older is there anything else I should watch for?

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
My wife and I just moved into a new house and she's keen to get a kitten. She always had cats at home when younger, and I'm all for it. It seems to be kitten season at the moment as well, the shelter has lots. We both work though, is it fair to leave a kitten at home all day while we're in work? The shelter don't release them until they're at least 12 weeks. Also I see the OP talks alot about adopting two kittens. I can completely see the logic but I'm a little worried about the cost and well, having two animals roaming the house instead of one. We don't work long hours, weekends always free. Is it difficult for a cat to be at home on its own all day?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

adamarama posted:

My wife and I just moved into a new house and she's keen to get a kitten. She always had cats at home when younger, and I'm all for it. It seems to be kitten season at the moment as well, the shelter has lots. We both work though, is it fair to leave a kitten at home all day while we're in work? The shelter don't release them until they're at least 12 weeks. Also I see the OP talks alot about adopting two kittens. I can completely see the logic but I'm a little worried about the cost and well, having two animals roaming the house instead of one. We don't work long hours, weekends always free. Is it difficult for a cat to be at home on its own all day?
How old are we talking here? You getting a 12 week old kitten on the dot, or something like 5-6 months? Things will be a lot easier if they can eat kitten food vs formula. At that point, they just need to accustomed and "trained"* for basic stuff(read: making GBS threads in a box, maybe don't-bite-that), then they can manage on their own just fine. I would suggest more time with the kitten early on though so it can bond with you better and get used to being handled, which is VERY IMPORTANT if you want to be able to clip their nails among other things.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
I would keep kittens confined to a kitten-safe bathroom while you're away, at least until you know what they're getting into and are more confident they won't destroy themselves or anything else. Two kittens will also help keep each other busy so they don't get busy with your stuff...

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

Dienes posted:

I'm so, so sorry. I lost my 2 yo Torgo from congestive heart failure last year. It wouldn't be easy no matter how old your cat is, but I definitely think the shock when they are young makes it worse. I hope he pulls through and you get many more years together.
Thanks. It was definitely a shock, that's for drat sure. Doubly so because I had just a few hours earlier picked up my nearly 9 year old dog from the vet after having surgery to remove a tumor. Not a good day for the four legged critters in my house.

Figaro sat in an oxygen box getting IV lasix for about 8 hours before they decided he was breathing much better. They pulled the iv an our after that and gave him his first pill. When I called to check on him he was lounging in his cage staring at the vet in the blank way that he does. He is having an ekg done and probably an ultra sound. After that we get to see what our treatment options are.

I'm still sad but the shock is gone. Fortunately finances aren't a concern so I can deal with the emergency visit(s) and the meds. I am very much a quality over quantity person when it comes to my pets' lives so while I could go above and beyond I won't. That would be for me and I love my kitty too much to do that.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Women's Rights? posted:

I need a touch of advice. I've adopted a new kitty, and he's 9, much older than any other cat I've ever adopted. Couldn't help it though, seconds after they opened the cage at the shelter he was rubbing against my legs and purring and giving me headbutts and that was it, I melted.

Is there anything I should know about bringing in an old duffer versus a young cat? I know the standard introduction procedure, and Mr. Carsons is comfortable around dogs (he had one in his old house) so I'm not concerned about him not getting on with the other pets as long as introductions go well in a few days, but with him being older is there anything else I should watch for?

Not really. 9 is still comfortably middle-aged for cats, so the main difference between him and a 1.5 or 2-year old is going to be energy level.

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010
Did I miss something in the OP about dealing with flea infestation? I'm sure it's been covered a shitload somewhere in this thread. I have an appointment scheduled on Friday with the vet. In the meantime, I've used two different kinds of spray on the carpets/upholstery, vacuumed several times, treated the two cats first with a powder from Walmart, then Frontline early Thursday morning. Also, on the advice of the person at the vet, tried to give one of the cats a bath in Dawn soap, ended up being clawed to poo poo so that did not work out well. Still have a major infestation that I can't seem to get a handle on. The cats do not go outside, so not sure how it started. Seemed to coincide with the very hot weather here we've had recently here in the northeast. The cats will not walk on the floor unless they have to, and one started to refuse to use the litter box where it normally is, I had to move it to the living room which I'm not exactly happy with. I tried carrying him to the box but he acts like I'm carrying him to his death or something and as soon as I would put him in it he runs as fast as he can out of there. I moved the same box to the living room like I said, and he immediately went to use it. So it's not the box itself, must be the room that he's afraid of. So far the other cat hasn't had any problems using the litter box. I really don't know what to do next. Going to be a long week until the vet.

Oh yeah, I first noticed a behavior change two weeks ago, but I chalked it up to the extreme heat that we were dealing with.

porkfriedrice fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 28, 2013

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Quick question:

We brought home a new cat this morning, a beautiful black 2-year-old DSH we call Midnight.

We have him in a room of our house where we can close him off and give him time to chill, etc. He's got everything he needs in there-- food, litter, water, toys, hiding spots, etc. He seems to be doing quite well.

My problem is with one of my established cats, Beemer.

Beemer is a 5yo DSH, and he's not eating. Like, at all. He's a big cat, but not fat according to the vet. He's ALWAYS all about food--- waking us up to feed him, meowing incessantly until he gets fed, etc. As a rare treat to him and the other cat, we gave them wet food tonight, which is like the best treat ever to them. The other established cat was just fine and ate it no problem. Beemer sniffed at it and wouldn't touch it. Under normal circumstances Beemer would be forcing his big rear end in there trying to hog all of it.

I understand that a new cat is a big change. His entire kitty world is turned upside down, and I understand that there will be growling, hissing, etc no matter what we do. I know he's stressed, but I how long before I need to get worried about this behavior from Beemer? We're 12 hours into it, so this isn't unexpected.

Both of our established cats have been getting extra love and attention from us. We've even rubbed them down with the new cat's scent.

Any help will be appreciated. How long before I need to start getting worried if this behavior continues?

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Retail Slave posted:

Beemer is a 5yo DSH, and he's not eating. Like, at all. He's a big cat... how long before I need to get worried about this behavior from Beemer? We're 12 hours into it, so this isn't unexpected.

I have a big cat who recently went on a hunger strike after getting the sniffles for a couple days. This has now blossomed into hepatic lipidosis, or "fatty liver" as his body began breaking down fat and his liver was unable to keep up. From what I've been reading, this is fairly common in large cats who suddenly stop eating, and it can only take two or three days before it becomes a life threatening ailment.

So if your cat isn't eating in another 24 hours or so, you may want to consider forcing (or "assisting") him with a wet slurry.

As it is, I now have to manually feed and water my cat several times a day, and will be doing this for weeks or months according to the vet, until the cat begins to eat on his own again. It's treatable, but the liver problems have suppressed his appetite entirely, so it's the sort of problem that only makes itself worse.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
About 2 and half months ago I found a newborn kitten, he's doing good! He got his first round of shots and is BIG for his age, 2.8 pounds compared to the other strays I've seen at work that are maybe 2.2 pounds and are a few weeks older. I'm worried about his enthusiasm for biting and rough play, he grew up alone with no siblings or a mom to whoop his rear end for getting out of line, and I've tried teaching him that biting is not okay (finger on tongue until he gags, yelling NO! and sprays from a water bottle, etc) but I don't see it getting better.

He doesn't bite hard, but it's enough to be a problem when he's older. He loves to ambush people too, my lower legs are nice and scratched up. Sometimes he's super calm and chills on my lap then out of nowhere he goes into Kill Mode and I have to push him away.

Am I missing something really basic, or is he beyond help? I need to adopt him out but if he's gonna be a little assassin his whole life I don't see him having a new home for long.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Manos del Sino posted:

I have a big cat who recently went on a hunger strike after getting the sniffles for a couple days. This has now blossomed into hepatic lipidosis, or "fatty liver" as his body began breaking down fat and his liver was unable to keep up. From what I've been reading, this is fairly common in large cats who suddenly stop eating, and it can only take two or three days before it becomes a life threatening ailment.

So if your cat isn't eating in another 24 hours or so, you may want to consider forcing (or "assisting") him with a wet slurry.

As it is, I now have to manually feed and water my cat several times a day, and will be doing this for weeks or months according to the vet, until the cat begins to eat on his own again. It's treatable, but the liver problems have suppressed his appetite entirely, so it's the sort of problem that only makes itself worse.

I know this isn't the greatest for him, but we got him to eat a few treats, and he licked at a little bit of wet food. Hopefully he's coming around a bit.

edit: He still seems really sad, though. He's not himself. Poor guy. :( He's getting lots of extra love and attention, though.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 28, 2013

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Engineer Lenk posted:

Not really. 9 is still comfortably middle-aged for cats, so the main difference between him and a 1.5 or 2-year old is going to be energy level.

He's draped over my shoulder making biscuits on my chest and purring in my ear right now so looks like no difference in old kitties versus new kitties :3:

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
So my kitten just flat out refuses to use the litter box. I bough some Cat Attract litter but it didn't do any good at all, she didn't even seem to notice it. I've already made an appointment with a vet where I will bring up the problem, but I have doubts that it's a medical issue because she will use litter boxes at other houses. When I've brought her to other houses with cats she'll make beeline straight for their litter box. So why won't she use the one I have set up for her?

I've moved it to different places, made sure it's secluded and away from anything loud or stressful, but she just acts like it's not there. What gives?

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Esroc posted:

I've moved it to different places, made sure it's secluded and away from anything loud or stressful, but she just acts like it's not there. What gives?

Could it be the type of litter? Some cats don't like scoopable litter, or the crystal kind, but will use generic litter all day long. It may be worth cycling through different types if you haven't eliminated that possibility yet.

Also, is the litter box at your home new? We had a kitten who saw her shiny new litter box as a playpen and not a place for business, at least not until our other cats started desecrating it. Eventually she learned what its proper purpose was, but it had to be "broken in" first.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Just make her watch you taking a poo poo it in yourself. She'll understand in time. If you could record it and send it to me, that would be even better...

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Esroc posted:

So my kitten just flat out refuses to use the litter box. I bough some Cat Attract litter but it didn't do any good at all, she didn't even seem to notice it. I've already made an appointment with a vet where I will bring up the problem, but I have doubts that it's a medical issue because she will use litter boxes at other houses. When I've brought her to other houses with cats she'll make beeline straight for their litter box. So why won't she use the one I have set up for her?

I put the litter box in a bathroom and lock the cat in until it uses it. A bowl of water, some food if it takes a while. They've always figured it out eventually.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Retail Slave posted:

Quick question:

We brought home a new cat this morning, a beautiful black 2-year-old DSH we call Midnight.

We have him in a room of our house where we can close him off and give him time to chill, etc. He's got everything he needs in there-- food, litter, water, toys, hiding spots, etc. He seems to be doing quite well.

My problem is with one of my established cats, Beemer.

Beemer is a 5yo DSH, and he's not eating. Like, at all. He's a big cat, but not fat according to the vet. He's ALWAYS all about food--- waking us up to feed him, meowing incessantly until he gets fed, etc. As a rare treat to him and the other cat, we gave them wet food tonight, which is like the best treat ever to them. The other established cat was just fine and ate it no problem. Beemer sniffed at it and wouldn't touch it. Under normal circumstances Beemer would be forcing his big rear end in there trying to hog all of it.

I understand that a new cat is a big change. His entire kitty world is turned upside down, and I understand that there will be growling, hissing, etc no matter what we do. I know he's stressed, but I how long before I need to get worried about this behavior from Beemer? We're 12 hours into it, so this isn't unexpected.

Both of our established cats have been getting extra love and attention from us. We've even rubbed them down with the new cat's scent.

Any help will be appreciated. How long before I need to start getting worried if this behavior continues?
In addition to Manos del Sino's advice, you may want to set up 2 separate feeding areas instead of keeping them together so Beemer doesn't have to be in the vicinity of the other cat when eating.

Also, there's some flavor of canned Fancy Feast mentioned occasionally in the thread that when warmed in the microwave, is kitty crack and ideal for fussy eaters.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I noticed a bright red spot in the corner of Tigh's eye this morning. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say he got popped a good one from Khan while playing last night and broke a blood vessel. There's no discharge (that's just a regular eye goober in the picture), he isn't squinting, there's no swelling or tenderness, and the red spot has not grown in the past couple hours I've been monitoring it. However, this is Tigh's only eye. I'm waiting for the vet office to open so I can give them a call, but should I be freaking out? Or is this just the cat equivalent of a black eye?

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Lemony Fresh posted:

I took my kitten to the vet today - he's fine! The different sized pupils went away and he is perfectly normal now. They also shaved his butt since he is always getting poop stuck around it. He looks really funny now, poor guy. :(

The vet quoted me $300 for neutering him. I think that is a little expensive. I know there are a few low cost neuter places around here, but I'm not sure if it is a good idea to take him to them. Are they as safe as having a vet do it?

Take your kitty to the local SPCA if there is one, they usually have a vet clinic that will do neuters/vaccinations/whatever for 1/3rd that price.

Aww yay, this makes me :3: I figured he was around 3 months and just tiny, time to start pumping him full of kitty food! Glad everything turned out alright, and great job with the capture/vet. That went quite smoothly. I also live in a 1BR apartment, and since you have no pets, its probably the BEST place for a new kitten. Keep us updated with pictures!

Esmerelda posted:

Oh no. I hope everything goes ok. That is so scary when I just got a 5 month old cat last month. :glomp:

adamarama posted:

It's not GREAT, but it's not going to kill the kitten. Your kitten is going to sleep ALL DAY though, and is going to be running around and meowing through the night. As long as you can deal with that I wouldn't worry much. Make sure there aren't electronics to chew, check for hazards each day before you leave, and make sure they have plenty of toys and snuggly blankets and such. As far as getting a second cat goes, I would wait a few months and see what your kittens personality is like. You can always introduce another cat later on when you have an idea of what the first one costs. (This is all based on the assumption that your kitten is over 12 weeks old, litter trained, weaned, etc.)

Esroc posted:

How old is she? Is it a covered or uncovered box? Is it easy for her to get in and out of? Size/type of litter box, as well as the type of litter, and the location can matter. I would really recommend finding a kitten friendly odor-FREE litter, a lot of scented litters don't go well with kittens. Put her in the litter box everytime she eats or drinks, as well as in the morning, afternoon and at night if possible. If she goes in the box, reward her with a treat! Out of hundreds of cats i've worked with from 6 weeks to 15+ years, only two of them didn't use the litter box, one a feral stray, and the other was older and from an abusive home. It may take some effort, but unless its a medical issue, you should be able to train her!

JayJay fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 30, 2013

jacido
Oct 10, 2008

Too much Breaking Bad, not enough Working Out.
I have a four year old male cat, and we are thinking about adding another member to our family. We are not sure to get a cat or a little dog (little because that is all our place allows for dogs). The only problem we have about trying to figure our what animal to get is because of how sensitive our cat already is to change.
He has some weird sensitive bladder that whenever there is change the lining of his bladder goes away and it becomes painful for him to urinate, so he will pee on my things because I am his person. He hasn't urinated on anything in a while and got medication for his bladder thing in the past.
When my boyfriend left to move to a new province and I had to stay behind for a couple months, my cat peed on his favourite rug to lay on at the front door. After we moved with him there was no issue which was great. I made sure he had treats, feliway, and butt loads of toys. I still make sure his has all the stuff he needs to make sure he is okay.
He has a weird attachment issue towards me, even so when my boyfriend and I hug he meows and meows until I pick him up.
He follows me everywhere and constantly brings me toys. This is totally fine and adoring, but is concerning whenever we leave to visit family back home for 4-5 days.
We think that maybe getting a friend for him would make issues with people leaving be better for him.

Do you think this is a good idea to alleviate his attachment issues? If so, do you think it would be incredibly difficult to bring in another cat or would a different species (a dog) be less intrusive?

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I finally got her to start using the litterbox. As I said before, she would use litterboxes at other houses but acted like hers didn't exist. So I got the bright idea of taking some poop from another cats box and burying it in hers. Figured it couldn't hurt.

I set her down in it afterwards, she sniffed the buried poop, then immediately did her business. I gave her a cat treat for it and everything's been peachy since! :D

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

JayJay posted:

Oh no. I hope everything goes ok. That is so scary when I just got a 5 month old cat last month. :glomp:
He's doing great!

Obviously we haven't cured him or anything but we think we have a good shot of managing this for a little while. Fortunately Figaro is the worlds easiest cat to do stuff to so pilling is a matter of hold cat on lap - gently pry open mouth -drop pill in - let cat close mouth - :catstare: X 3. Then I hug him, he grumps off about a foot away then turns around and wants to give me headbutts.

It sucks that we will lose him long before he's an old man but there's nothing we can do about that. What we can do is spoil him and enjoy how awesome he is :)

ferndavant
Jul 5, 2009

Because that's what doggies do! :3:
Hey guys,

I'm freaking out here. Yesterday, Deuces got vaccinated. She pretty quickly went down hill, though. She's not eating, she's not drinking, she just sits there curled up in a ball. I noticed she's also limping, and when I touch her, she yips in pain, particularly when I touch her leg.

Is this normal? What can I do? Should I be worried? Is it emergency vet clinic time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

ferndavant posted:

Hey guys,

I'm freaking out here. Yesterday, Deuces got vaccinated. She pretty quickly went down hill, though. She's not eating, she's not drinking, she just sits there curled up in a ball. I noticed she's also limping, and when I touch her, she yips in pain, particularly when I touch her leg.

Is this normal? What can I do? Should I be worried? Is it emergency vet clinic time?

I am going to assume it was a rabies shot? Usually that is in the hind leg. Just like shots we get, cats can have soreness, reactions, etc. due to vaccinating. But rabies vac reactions are pretty rare. Was this her first time vaccinating or has she had the same shots before without issue? I would first call the vet that administered the shots, and just ask their advice before going to an e-clinic. Most vets, as long as they are open, will make time to see a post-visit issue or give you better advice than I am. Definitely try and feel around and look at the area for any kind of swelling, redness or hair loss. I believe the shot is under/behind the leg? It could (hopefully) just be that your girl is a bit of a fuss, and her leg is very sore.

JayJay fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 31, 2013