Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

JuffoWup posted:

Yeah, cpds kind of need a small tank and some odd care. Atleast for me, even when there was 15 of them, they were skittish. More importantly, they like heavily planted aquariums, so you end up with the "what fish" problem. Tank looked good from a 'scape point of view, but the fish to make it where not to be found.

Check out the postted blue-eye. No experience, but look pretty cool too. From what I've read, are also more outgoing as well.

Really though, I think I should have gone for cichlids. Dropped the flow so I'm not blasting my fish around, and now it seems there is almost no water movement in the tank. Lessons learned, don't use a saltwater tank in freshwater.

Powerheads, man, powerheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SUCKING DICKS AND SQUEEZING TITTIES
So two questions, how long am I going to be soaking this previously dry driftwood before it sinks (I only ever used rocks before, this poo poo is super buoyant!) and how long do I cycle a tank before thinking of adding the plant life?

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

dirtycajun posted:

So two questions, how long am I going to be soaking this previously dry driftwood before it sinks (I only ever used rocks before, this poo poo is super buoyant!) and how long do I cycle a tank before thinking of adding the plant life?

I've never done driftwood so no help there. You can add plants as soon as you put water in the tank. Plant's don't need a cycle, in fact they can help kick-start the cycle.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
I'm about to toss my API ammonia test in the trash. After multiple water changes with no improvement (and strangely healthy and vibrant fish), I became suspicious and tested against tap and bottled water. Between 0.25 and 0.5 mg/L total ammonia. :raise: Swapped it for a second kit, with both reagents from a different lot, and the stupid thing still reads ammonia even in distilled water. A quick Google search suggests this is not uncommon.

Is anybody using the SeaChem ammonia test? How do you like it?

Local options are API and Seachem, hence the question, but I'm not averse to ordering something else if need be.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

dirtycajun posted:

Depends on the size and type of driftwood, but anywhere up to a week. What kind is it? Also chuck those plants right in there. They're probably carrying bacteria and stuff that'll help the cycle get started, as Zaffy mentioned.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

Depends on the size and type of driftwood, but anywhere up to a week. What kind is it? Also chuck those plants right in there. They're probably carrying bacteria and stuff that'll help the cycle get started, as Zaffy mentioned.

Cypress, was going for a swampy feel.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

dirtycajun posted:

Depends on a lot of factors with the driftwood, but it can be anywhere from a couple days, to months, to well... never. I have had two pieces soaking for a month now with no improvement. You could always tie it to a piece of slate and bury the slate in your substrate

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

Guys with planted tanks, what Chem treatments do you use weekly/ daily?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Weekly, a dash of CO2 booster to my water change water.
Fert tablets every 3 months.

That's it. The reason I get such vibrant green colours and crazy growth is the nano tanks have a very low profile and allow the LED lights to penetrate water easily.

I don't use a CO2 setup.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I used to add Flourish and Flourish Excel, but havent in awhile while I ran a DIY co2 setup. The co2 was kind of nuts and gave me crazy growth, but I'll leave it off for awhile now. I may start up on excel again since the algae is getting out of control without it. I have a layer of soil and fertilizer under gravel for root feeders.

Mean Bean
Jan 19, 2012

My blood type is Folgers.
Help! I saw a substrate that was really beautiful at the German fish store yesterday, but I think it only came with a little aquarium kit they had and they didn't have it just to buy. It was tiny round pebbles, like natural riverstone but smaller in diameter than an M&M and nearly all perfectly round and flat like a tiny skipping stone. Also would like input into whether this would be ok for shrimp?

Edit: I have googled this in a million different ways to no end!

Mean Bean fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jul 29, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hmmm, it's not this stuff is it?

That's Fluval Shrimp Stratum.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Hooray for fuckups.

I don't know if I didn't wash my hands enough or the water was too hot, or the new plant I put in did something, but one of my hillstream loach tanks went from 20 down to maybe 5 overnight. The entire tank is aquascaped with lots of rocks, so after work today I get to tear it down and fish out all the bodies, no pun intended. Found one floating, which I thought was odd, and then saw the mounds of shrimp and scuds and assassin snails over more on the bottom.

Here's hoping I don't lose the rest of them. This was one of my favorite tanks. :(

Mean Bean
Jan 19, 2012

My blood type is Folgers.

SynthOrange posted:

Hmmm, it's not this stuff is it?

That's Fluval Shrimp Stratum.

Nope although I do have some of that coming in the mail, it was tiny perfect skipping stones. Next time I'll get a picture!

It was kind of like a mix between these two pics, but tiny and perfect:

It looked amazing in the tank.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Cowslips Warren posted:

Hooray for fuckups.

I don't know if I didn't wash my hands enough or the water was too hot, or the new plant I put in did something, but one of my hillstream loach tanks went from 20 down to maybe 5 overnight. The entire tank is aquascaped with lots of rocks, so after work today I get to tear it down and fish out all the bodies, no pun intended. Found one floating, which I thought was odd, and then saw the mounds of shrimp and scuds and assassin snails over more on the bottom.

Here's hoping I don't lose the rest of them. This was one of my favorite tanks. :(

If you don't suspect low oxygen issues, It could be the new plant, outside grown chemically treated etc but this would nuke your snails and shrimp too.

The shrimp and snails are fine?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Kharnifex posted:

If you don't suspect low oxygen issues, It could be the new plant, outside grown chemically treated etc but this would nuke your snails and shrimp too.

The shrimp and snails are fine?

No, the new anubas was from amother tank with fry, so that was clean. Found one adult and 3 surviving fry. Shrimp and snails and scuds continue fine.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Mean Bean posted:

Scoping out my chosen fish store for when I set up my tank and I saw some Galaxy Rasbora/Celestial Pearl Danio and they were sooo pretty! http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/the-celestial-pearl-danio-a-cautionary-tale.htm

Not my pic, stole it from the internets:

I have a school of twelve Celestial Pearl Danios in my 55 and they are great fish. You have to be careful though on your source because there are people selling wild-caught and they come with a host of problems and you end up with dead fish. My LFS was carrying them and got a batch from a supplier who claimed they were not wild-caught and within two weeks they were all dead. They were just unhealthy, sick fish.. even looking at them you knew something was not right. I have had mine for over a year without a single loss, they school well with the Cardinal Tetras I have as well.

dirtycajun posted:

Guys with planted tanks, what Chem treatments do you use weekly/ daily?

The 20L I have is dirt, no chemicals except what I used to initially cycle. The 55 I dose with Brightwell Florin Multi on every filter change.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Cowslips Warren posted:

No, the new anubas was from amother tank with fry, so that was clean. Found one adult and 3 surviving fry. Shrimp and snails and scuds continue fine.

drat, could be a virus, bacteria, anything. That's a real shame because I love those fish, and making them a 'River' tank is so much fun.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

I got a couple more plants and a piece of malaysian driftwood. I also bought a tiny airpump that I turn on in the evenings. I still need to get something to hold the airstone in place that won't look so ugly, but I think my tank is looking more decent now. I just hope the plants don't die.

I had soaked the wood for a few days in hot water according to its instructions to get as much tannin(?) out of it. It's been in my tank for a few days now and the water is slowly changing colors. Should I be concerned or will a change of filter help fix that?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Chido posted:

I got a couple more plants and a piece of malaysian driftwood. I also bought a tiny airpump that I turn on in the evenings. I still need to get something to hold the airstone in place that won't look so ugly, but I think my tank is looking more decent now. I just hope the plants don't die.

I had soaked the wood for a few days in hot water according to its instructions to get as much tannin(?) out of it. It's been in my tank for a few days now and the water is slowly changing colors. Should I be concerned or will a change of filter help fix that?

A water change will clean it up, but it really shouldn't be too much of a concern for you. It could be a while before the wood stops leeching into your water, but I doubt you will have any negative results besides poor clarity.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Minor Container Pond Update: Got my first flower today. Water Mint has started putting out little purple flowers.

Hoping the Hyacinth is next.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Chido posted:

Looks like anubias and some java ferns from the photo, good choices! Dont worry about the driftwood, it'll continue to leech tannins out like an old teabag til it's depleted. Just keep up with the weekly water changes.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Thanks :). The hornwort Durrneez gave me is dying for some reason :(, but the anubia is growing a new leaf. I added the java ferns on Sunday, and so far they haven't had any withering leaves yet so I hope they'll be ok. I know a 5 gallon tank doesn't really have much room, but with only 2 guppies and 3 endler's livebearers, do you guys think I could get away with adding a couple more fish? They don't sell snails in the petsmart I went to, but they had ottos and I was wondering if any of oyu guys have experience with ottos in small tanks, and if it's advisable.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
were they all males because
BABIES EVERYWHERE?

If youre just doing it for algae control, I could probably send you some MTS

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I have some snails that might've come with the hornwort, maybe the anubia. They seem to be pond snails and there's one I can't quite figure out what it is. They're still very small, but I'd rather avoid having a snail infestation if I can. I want to get a nerite snail, but I was hoping i could maybe have some ottos instead since they are cute, but I don't think my tank is big enough for them :(.

Edit: what is MTS? Mystery tank snail? Also, I wonder if i can feed my chickens the snails in case they start overruning the tank, hmmm.

Chido fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 3, 2013

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Chido posted:

I have some snails that might've come with the hornwort, maybe the anubia. They seem to be pond snails and there's one I can't quite figure out what it is. They're still very small, but I'd rather avoid having a snail infestation if I can. I want to get a nerite snail, but I was hoping i could maybe have some ottos instead since they are cute, but I don't think my tank is big enough for them :(.

Edit: what is MTS? Mystery tank snail? Also, I wonder if i can feed my chickens the snails in case they start overruning the tank, hmmm.

MTS = Malayasian trumpet snails. They're kinda long and pointy shelled things. Good for general cleanup and for stirring up the sand and soil in those sorts of tanks, but have to be on the scale of convict cichlids when it comes to things that can multiply in an aquarium if left unchecked.

So I've been messing with my big tank for a little bit today, and my lavender gourami is suddenly a bitey little bastard. He's bitten my hand or arm every time I've put it into the tank today, no less than a dozen so far times :stare:. Little guy is completely fearless. I don't usually name my fish, but the little jerk has earned one I think.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Shakenbaker posted:

MTS = Malayasian trumpet snails. They're kinda long and pointy shelled things. Good for general cleanup and for stirring up the sand and soil in those sorts of tanks, but have to be on the scale of convict cichlids when it comes to things that can multiply in an aquarium if left unchecked.

So I've been messing with my big tank for a little bit today, and my lavender gourami is suddenly a bitey little bastard. He's bitten my hand or arm every time I've put it into the tank today, no less than a dozen so far times :stare:. Little guy is completely fearless. I don't usually name my fish, but the little jerk has earned one I think.

My vote is for Sushi.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

This is my tank before the water cleared. Going to be adding the plant life on Tuesday I believe.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

My vote is for Sushi.

Maybe. I was told by someone else that Namor might be a good option, but I have to think about it.

Did figure out why he's been super grouchy though, it's becase there's an assload of fry floating now. I didn't see them at all yesterday, but there are a whole bunch today. Guess I need to boil up some eggs for 'em or something.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

dirtycajun posted:

This is my tank before the water cleared. Going to be adding the plant life on Tuesday I believe.

Those decorations look pretty cool, if a bit crowded. Are any of them genuine? If so you may want to test the ph to ensure they don't alter it.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Shakenbaker posted:

Maybe. I was told by someone else that Namor might be a good option, but I have to think about it.

Did figure out why he's been super grouchy though, it's becase there's an assload of fry floating now. I didn't see them at all yesterday, but there are a whole bunch today. Guess I need to boil up some eggs for 'em or something.

Name him Sharknado :colbert:.

Fusillade
Mar 31, 2012

...and her

BIG FAT BASS
Cowslips, re: peacock bass and entertainment: they tend to not be destructive like a lot of other bruiser type SA cichlids. No digging, redecorating, etc. I do occasionally spoil them with television intended for toddlers -- they really enjoy the bright colors and moving objects, they will all cruise over to the laptop and just stare raptly for a good 20-30 minutes at a time. :)

Also, I'm so excited! Those of you familiar with the previous thread may remember Clarkson, the JAAAAGuar cichlid. She's currently about 8" long based on my best guess comparing her to my hand (I have lady hands which are about 7"). I usually don't stress my fish out by measuring, but I know people tend to overestimate because of image distortion from glass or acrylic. For those of you unfamiliar, here's a reminder:

I've had her for nearly a year and a half now, and have occasionally entertained the idea of breeding her, but the adage that you 'have either a show jaguar or a breeding jaguar' turned me off for the longest time. I eventually concluded that the aggression and shitbeating that jags give each other (most breeders advise that the fish mate through a divider!!!) :black101: was probably the result of 1.) difference in size, since the males of most pairs I have ever seen photographed usually have a good 2" on the females, and 2.) being crammed together in a tank space really only appropriate for a single fish of their kind. After observing the behaviors of fish that I have in my CA/SA community tank, I've concluded that a lot of it really does have to do with the combination of size and space. The oscar is probably the longest and most massive at 12", and everyone else in the tank (gold severum, male Mayan, male jack dempsey, male green terror, johanna pike cichlid, Clarkson) ranged between 8-10" and have plenty of room in the 300 gallon. With that in mind, I felt more confident about proceeding with the project.

I found Jaeger at a LFS. He's about the same length as Clarkson, but leaner. After he came out of quarantine, Clarkson was in looooooooooooove. :swoon: He returned interest, and they began courting. It was no where near as violent as I've seen recorded. Lots of head-shaking, posturing, and as things got more serious, a few SHORT lip-locks. Perhaps there's a reporting bias in jaguar cichlid husbandry!!! They starting working together as a unit to clear out one half of the tank for themselves.

Here's Jaeger reminding Sloth (the oscar) that the back corner is OFF LIMITS!!!

This past weekend, the sneaky bastards laid their eggs on the background (a few infertile ones turned white from fungus). Here, have a horrible picture!!! Jaeger glares at the camera while Clarkson keeps bulldozing the sand around their nesting spot.

Anddddd a second, slightly less awful shot.

This evening, I looked around the side of the tank, and could see the bottom of the tank writhing!!! The clutch has hatched! There are sooooo many of the little guys! Jaeger and Clarkson are herding them to keep them in their nest -- which is damned impossible to photograph because there's not enough room to squeeze between the wall and the tank on that side. I've already set up a 20 gallon with filtration media from one of my other established tanks, and a half and half mix of water from the 300 gallon and fresh. Still need to get some baby brine shrimp going, and add sponge around the filter intake to keep them from being sucked to their doom. About a week after hatching, the parents start cannibalizing! If these fellows survive the transition from yolk sac to eating foods, they will be old enough for the big semi-annual auction our aquarium club has. :)

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Chido posted:

Name him Sharknado :colbert:.

Done! Behold, the most fearsome creature to have ever been birthed by the waters and the skies at the same time:

I think I know how stormchasers feel now.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Fusillade posted:

the best story :allears:

How wonderful! congratulations! the people demand photos of the babies at any and all opportunities!!!

Shakenbaker posted:

Done! Behold, the most fearsome creature to have ever been birthed by the waters and the skies at the same time:

I think I know how stormchasers feel now.

holy frijole that's a lot of MTS! tank looks spotless though :) your fish specimen is very pretty.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Congrats on your bundles of baby bass! :toot:

Shakenbaker, gotta concur, that does seem like a lot of MTS. I had a giant explosion when I first introduced them after having a snail-less tank for a year, and they went through all the uneaten debris in the substrate. They're back down to more reasonable levels now, thankfully.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

This is awesome. Good luck with the baby jags!

durrneez posted:

holy frijole that's a lot of MTS! tank looks spotless though :) your fish specimen is very pretty.

SynthOrange posted:

Shakenbaker, gotta concur, that does seem like a lot of MTS. I had a giant explosion when I first introduced them after having a snail-less tank for a year, and they went through all the uneaten debris in the substrate. They're back down to more reasonable levels now, thankfully.

Yeah, I got about a billion MTS. It looks worse just before lights out which is when I took that, but I'm not about to argue with the numbers. I know it's because I overfeed, but I never learn. I want to get some loaches for that tank, but yoyos get a bit bigger than I want, and dwarf chain loaches were like $16 a pop for my local store to get them for me which is a bit more than I want wanting to spend on something that needs a school, you know?

Maybe I should just get around to setting up a pea puffer tank and tossing them treats. Lord knows I'll never run short on food for 'em.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
Does this look acceptable enough for a 10 year old that wants a betta?

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarius-Aq25...ords=Betta+tank

Has a filter and some cool looking lighting, so I figure he is good to go after adding the betta itself, some food, water conditioner, some fake plants, gravel or beads, and maybe a little ornament if there is room. I know it's not top of the line, but it seems nice looking and more humane than just tossing the betta in a small vase like I see most people do.

Mr. Onslaught fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 7, 2013

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Thsi is the tank I'm using right now, it's a 5 gallon starter kit from aquaon. I originally had a betta in it and it did pretty well. the tank is not that big, but roomy enough to add more decorations. Currently I have it with 4 endler's livebearers and 2 guppies, all male, and 3 real plants. It's probably overcrowded, but so fat the fish seem to be doing fine and I like how it looks. the sell the filter pads in petsmart and they often have this tank on sale :).

http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-17775-...ni+bow+5+gallon

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Does this look acceptable enough for a 10 year old that wants a betta?

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarius-Aq25...ords=Betta+tank

Has a filter and some cool looking lighting, so I figure he is good to go after adding the betta itself, some food, water conditioner, some fake plants, gravel or beads, and maybe a little ornament if there is room. I know it's not top of the line, but it seems nice looking and more humane than just tossing the betta in a small vase like I see most people do.

If it's not going to be a heavily planted enclosure, the consensus is >5 gallons minimum for a betta. If you're going for fake over real plants, there's a panty hose test that you can do to make sure the decorations don't tear up the fish's fins:

quote:

If a plastic plant will snag a pair of pantyhose when rubbed against it, then it will damage your Betta's fins. Be safe and buy silk plants instead.
from http://www.wikihow.com/Take-Care-of-a-Betta-Fish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Thread title hitting a little close to home...