Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
G:

"Steve Bell on the royal baby – The Duchess of Cambridge gave birth to a boy on Monday, Prince George of Cambridge, who is third in line to the throne" Also Jane Austen to appear on the new £10 note in 2016.

T:

I:

A&E crisis plans 'not good enough', MPs say

M:
"The Royal baby still grabs the headlines."

quote:

“Me too. I’m trying to give up. I’m down to six mentions a day.”

E:

:siren::jeb::derp: Aliens are invading Britain! WHY AREN'T THE BBC REPORTING THIS!!! :derp::jeb::siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Cloud Potato posted:

:siren::jeb::derp: Aliens are invading Britain! WHY AREN'T THE BBC REPORTING THIS!!! :derp::jeb::siren:

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Cloud Potato posted:

E:

Why is WORMWOOD SCRUBS signposted? Is there some reference to a recent news story?

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Errr dunno, maybe it's just there as a "look it's London" thing although it is deliberately confusing as the skyline is drawn from the perspective of south London rather than North, where Wormwood Scrubs is.

Also how is the Westminster clock tower taller than The Shard? Surely that would have been mentioned somewhere when they built it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I wonder if Adams realises that the logo on those scarves matches the logo of the long-defunct SDP?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Also how is the Westminster clock tower taller than The Shard? Surely that would have been mentioned somewhere when they built it.
I think he has a habit of drawing it at a ridiculous scale (if I had the time I'd look for that cartoon with the Maggie statue). I'm not exactly sure, but I'm pretty sure some of those buildings are out of order too.

Maybe he's just a bad artist?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on George Osborne and economic recovery – Experts predict 0.6% rise in GDP for second quarter but Labour will claim that feelgood factor is still a long way off"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Daily Mail:
"The economy is showing the first signs of growth."

quote:

“Goodness. Andy Murray winning Wimbledon, a new Royal baby, the economy growing. What else could one want to get the feel good factor.”

Express:

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

The Times' paywall is down

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Cloud Potato posted:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on George Osborne and economic recovery – Experts predict 0.6% rise in GDP for second quarter but Labour will claim that feelgood factor is still a long way off"
Is this meant to be a reference to something?

quote:

Independent:

There's more context for this: Peacock tails are actually useless at attracting females. So it's a fairly apt visual metaphor.

Er, wow. I thought the Times liked the Royal family? That's the least flattering caricature of William I've ever seen.

(Thanks for doing the megapost, but could you number or label the individual cartoons at all? It's a right faff trying to work out which URL is which image.)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

What's the context of this?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Kurtofan posted:

What's the context of this?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/jul/24/jane-austen-appear-10-note

http://www.newstatesman.com/business/2013/07/vince-cable-bank-england-are-capital-taliban

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Ah so it's "two things happened", thanks.

I find this cartoon pretty disingenuous.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It's genuous it's just dumb. He just mulched the two together and then forgot to step back and check if it was dogwhistling like hell.

How often do you get a chance to draw a hosed-up lovely looking peacock and this dude whiffed it.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Kegluneq posted:

Is this meant to be a reference to something?

He's not quite scraping the bottom of the barrel, as the economy has seen a puny 0.6% growth. At least, I think the wooden curved wall is meant to be the inside of a barrel.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah I thought it was some kind of pit (with the lines giving it depth so it's not just a background) and he's doing his 'up up and away' pose, even though he's barely lifted and there's a hell of a long way to go

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
If it wasn't for that fact that over 100,000 people have died then this would be a great Death Metal album cover.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

A classic distillation of Tories 'n' Europe, there.

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on the anti-immigration billboard ads – A government advertising campaign warning illegal immigrants to "go home or face arrest" is being challenged in the courts"

Telegraph:

Wonga row: Archbishop of Canterbury 'embarrassed' over Church funds

Independent:

Times:

Stephen Collins:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Cloud Potato posted:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on the anti-immigration billboard ads – A government advertising campaign warning illegal immigrants to "go home or face arrest" is being challenged in the courts"

:D

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Yesterday's Observer:

"George Osborne's not-so magic wand - Chris Riddell on the chancellor's flawed alchemy"

Yesterday's Sunday Telegraph:

Yesterday's Independent on Sunday:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on the Twitter rape threats case – A 21-year-old man has been arrested by police investigating threats and abuse directed at a feminist campaigner"

Independent:

UK migration figures a best guess, say MPs

Express:

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Cloud Potato posted:

Yesterday's Observer:

"George Osborne's not-so magic wand - Chris Riddell on the chancellor's flawed alchemy"

:stare: Normally I think people are a bit harsh on Riddell and his labels, but Jesus.

Ed: Also, fox in speedos, I think this is just cause to add "furry" to the Express cartoonist's list of crimes. Burn the witch :colbert:

Weldon Pemberton fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 29, 2013

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Weldon Pemberton posted:

:stare: Normally I think people are a bit harsh on Riddell and his labels, but Jesus.

Yeah, but its not like really bad cartoons but its just he seems to amazing drawings and then ruin it with labels and seems to base his drawings around them going to be labelled. :smith:

Still think he is super talented but :argh: try not using labels :argh:!

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Took me a moment to figure out what was going on with the guy's face, but that's that memetic "LOL I TROLL U" face contorted into an expression of pain, isn't it?

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
Telegraph:

I was going to post today's Scotsman, but they've updated their website and it puts you in a redirect loop for all the cartoons. Not the ones by Frankie Boyle though, so here's one he did last week

Ofaloaf posted:

Took me a moment to figure out what was going on with the guy's face, but that's that memetic "LOL I TROLL U" face contorted into an expression of pain, isn't it?

It's an unhappy trollface, yeah

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Thread hero Martin Rowson was interviewed on Radio 3, in case you wondered what classical music he liked (Bizet). He shows up an hour and a half in.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Justice is meant to be blindfolded, but I guess the bandana look works too.

HCO Plumer GCB GCM
Apr 29, 2010

"Gentlemen, we may not make history tomorrow, but we shall certainly change the geography."

Zephro posted:

Justice is meant to be blindfolded, but I guess the bandana look works too.

As any QI viewer will tell you .. sometimes she is .. sometimes she isn't.

The one on top of the Old Bailey, for example, isn't.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Cloud Potato posted:

Yesterday's Independent on Sunday:

I can't figure out if this is meant to be a Battleship Potemkin reference or not.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on energy industry transparency – Ofgem is accused of not doing enough to ensure the probity of energy companies" Also 'Lads' mags' given cover-up deadline by Co-operative.

Telegraph:

Mail:
"The NHS helpline called 111 is unsafe admit their bosses."

quote:

“Okay, that’s my advice. I have to go now I have other patients to attend to.”

Express:

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

THIS WASN'T TERRIBLE.

Okay the art is the same as ever but the joke itself is not bad, there are no random newsboards, and there isn't a single Royal in sight!

Not entirely sure why there's movement lines above the guy's head but... this could be a "okay I chuckled" in the hands of a better artist.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The NHS 111 number is being run on massively outdated computer technology by people with no fashion sense, while urban wildlife runs rampant through their call centres.

A... cartoon?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

goatface posted:

The NHS 111 number is being run on massively outdated computer technology by people with no fashion sense, while urban wildlife runs rampant through their call centres.

A... cartoon?

To be fair he has to draw computers in such a way that his target demographic will recognise them as such...

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

The Doomsday Kerryclock moves to two minutes to midnight, as tensions rise in the Middle East. An Armageddon Cartoon.

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPbqQOf41Qc
:rock:

Double edit: To be honest, I'm not even sure exactly what that cartoon is meant to mean. 'About time'?

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 30, 2013

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Kegluneq posted:

To be honest, I'm not even sure exactly what that cartoon is meant to mean. 'About time'?

It happens to mean:

Kegluneq posted:

The Doomsday Kerryclock moves to two minutes to midnight, as tensions rise in the Middle East.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Freudian posted:

It happens to mean:
Ugh, so basically my post was :thejoke: I thought these talks were supposed to be a good thing, so :shrug:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Freudian posted:

It happens to mean:
That's what I took it to mean too, although I was a little surprised at it coming from Adams. It's really a somewhat dark joke.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on bankers – Huge bonuses, Libor-fixing, payment protection insurance mis-selling – banks and their shady practices" Also, Warm weather sees boom in UK jellyfish blooms.

Telegraph:

Yesterday's Independent:

Independent:

Mail:
"A poster lorry encouraging illegal immigrants to go home is causing controversy."

quote:

“Alright, Lads. We’re in England. You can come out now.”

Express:

Happiness index shows 'small improvement' in 2013, ONS Big News Sign says

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the Lewisham hospital cuts – Health secretary Jeremy Hunt's plan to reduce A&E and maternity services at London hospital is overturned at high court" Also Right-to-die campaigners Nicklinson and Lamb lose battle.

Telegraph:

BP says its Gulf of Mexico fund 'will be fully utilised'

Independent:

Mail:
"Protests are rife in the UK by people affected by fracking for shale gas."

quote:

“Be honest. It’s working. They haven’t fracked since I superglued you the their drill.”
[sic]

Express:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent:

And today's 'Most Redundant Label' award goes to...
This is pretty awesome. I just wish there was the tiniest chance that Hunt would face some kind of negative consequences after breaking the law, or at least attempting to.

Edit: Lest we forget, Hunt has gotten into trouble for this sort of thing before.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Aug 1, 2013

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on the Lloyds sell-off – Lloyds Banking Group chief executive says a share sale is now in the government's hands"

Telegraph:

JCB chief Bamford and Brian Paddick among 30 new peers

Independent:

Margaret Thatcher vetoed William Hague Treasury job

Express:

:sun: Feeling hot hot hot! :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Paul Thomas gets paid for this poo poo??!

• Locked thread