Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003

KittyEmpress posted:

I assume 'cake job' is off the 'piece of cake', and refers to a nice easy job?

Because man nice and easy would be great I am a lazy rear end.

Six years is a long time though for CTN, is there any additional benefit to it besides not being on ships? I mean if it's a really good job for me wanting to do college classes while still enlisted that sounds great, but otherwise that'd raise my time to 'settled into a life style and have my nursing degree' age to 28, assuming I get none of the four years of school done.

I should probably not make long term plans, should I?

Here's what you should plan for: You're going into a developmental/career black hole for x years. You might be able to make the best of it and have a pretty okay time. You might also be completely miserable and unable to do pretty much anything except work.

Also 28 is not a really bad age to start a career. 38 might be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
Doesn't the navy have a nursing program? I know a few folk who went that way on the AF side of the house.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

somewhatpathetic posted:

Doesn't the navy have a nursing program? I know a few folk who went that way on the AF side of the house.

The only medical field that's available for enlisted is Hospital Corpsman, which I was warned against on the page before.

shyduck posted:

I would, because any bit will help. Also for upper body and core, https://www.hunderdpushups.com and https://www.twohundredsitups.com are very good programs, and there are Android/iOS apps for both that track your daily progress and can be used to time your sessions. I use both of those for PT test preparation. Include some running, but take it a little bit at a time and don't get frustrated. Some conditioning is better than none.

Also, I threw the 99 cents to get the all in one one (Squats, Dips, Sit Ups, Push Ups, and Pull Ups) of this, and despite only have two and a half weeks at most, I fully intend to make the most of it.

Vasudus posted:

Here's what you should plan for: You're going into a developmental/career black hole for x years. You might be able to make the best of it and have a pretty okay time. You might also be completely miserable and unable to do pretty much anything except work.

Also 28 is not a really bad age to start a career. 38 might be.

This is something I really have trouble with reconciling because gently caress, 10 years is like 55% of my life so far. The time between when I was 8 and when I was 18 was huge, and I guess it's hard to remember that that's because I was developing the whole time, and 18 to 28 is less amazing.

I'll try not to hope for too much though.

JohnnyHardcore
Jan 15, 2008

KittyEmpress posted:

Also, I threw the 99 cents to get the all in one one (Squats, Dips, Sit Ups, Push Ups, and Pull Ups) of this, and despite only have two and a half weeks at most, I fully intend to make the most of it.

I use the same program, my advice would be to copy down all the week 3+ in a small spiral notebook and take it with you to boot. You will likely have personal time at the end of the day (We did in the Army even 9 years ago) and you can use that time to talk about which actress you would nail if you had to make a choice, or you can use it to get SWOLE. Well, US military definition of swole anyway.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

KittyEmpress posted:

I assume 'cake job' is off the 'piece of cake', and refers to a nice easy job?

Because man nice and easy would be great I am a lazy rear end.

Six years is a long time though for CTN, is there any additional benefit to it besides not being on ships? I mean if it's a really good job for me wanting to do college classes while still enlisted that sounds great, but otherwise that'd raise my time to 'settled into a life style and have my nursing degree' age to 28, assuming I get none of the four years of school done.

I should probably not make long term plans, should I?

Yea, you still have to do all the Navy bullshit that comes with it, but most CTNs do watch floor stuff, often on pointless 24 hour watches, that's not very demanding. If you want to challenge yourself there are much more interesting fields in the community, but it's mostly random what you end up doing your first tour. The benefit is you're at one of five stateside locations, you never deploy, so you could easily take online college courses (lots of people do).

KittyEmpress posted:

The only medical field that's available for enlisted is Hospital Corpsman, which I was warned against on the page before.

I'm not a corpsman, I only know what I know from hearsay. Corpsman can end up never deploying as well, but their advancement rate is garbage.

quote:

This is something I really have trouble with reconciling because gently caress, 10 years is like 55% of my life so far. The time between when I was 8 and when I was 18 was huge, and I guess it's hard to remember that that's because I was developing the whole time, and 18 to 28 is less amazing.

I'll try not to hope for too much though.

Life is what you make it. I joined the Navy at 29 years old. It was a choice between this or making customer service my "career". A lot of people will say they hated times they were in, but not a lot of people say they regretted doing it.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

JohnnyHardcore posted:

You will likely have personal time at the end of the day (We did in the Army even 9 years ago) and you can use that time to talk about which actress you would nail if you had to make a choice, or you can use it to get SWOLE. Well, US military definition of swole anyway.

is this really even a decision to make? the answer is just so obvious

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

white privilege posted:

is this really even a decision to make? the answer is just so obvious

No it isn't. I would bang Scarlett Johansson first probably, but I doubt everyone feels that way.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

Cole posted:

No it isn't. I would bang Scarlett Johansson first probably, but I doubt everyone feels that way.

Everyone who's answer isn't a man feels that way.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Mila Kunis first. She's sexy as gently caress

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
She's too skinny. I like a real woman.

Holy poo poo we're actually proving the point that was made.

Captain Amerikkka
Mar 14, 2013
Yah the real hotness is that fat bitch from Bridesmaids.

-Actual enlisted opinion

Captain Amerikkka
Mar 14, 2013
Edit:dp

ktimekiller
Jan 9, 2012
Question about enlisting.

I am currently in college and soon to graduate in the next year as an Asian Studies major and Global Studies minor out of UCLA.

I have been considering career options and came up with 2 ideas, career Military and Foreign Service.

If I go the Military route, I want to work in the international/public relations field.
I have also considered that if I go Military, I may end up trying to get into the Foreign Service after my term is up.

What do the experienced think of this?
Let me know if you need more information.

ktimekiller fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jul 29, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
You need to look VERY HARD at the specific military services and career fields that can further your chosen career. In general, enlisting with a college degree is a terrible loving idea. The only exception (IMO) is when there's a certain job that can actually build your experience level and directly help your post-mil career.

With a degree you could, theoretically, apply and be accepted for officer training...but these days it's a really long shot. In the AF, a foreign service liason officer is a second career...you do your assigned job for 4+ years then you retrain and get a new AFSC. It's highly competitive and foreign languages might be explicitly required (it's at least an unwritten requirement).

First thing's first: you need to identify exactly what you want to do, then look at what options the various military services offer that can actually help you and how likely it is that you'll get that job rather than being some kind of truck mechanic.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

With a degree you could, theoretically, apply and be accepted for officer training...but these days it's a really long shot. In the AF, a foreign service liason officer is a second career...you do your assigned job for 4+ years then you retrain and get a new AFSC. It's highly competitive and foreign languages might be explicitly required (it's at least an unwritten requirement).

In the USAF you get picked up for RAS at more like at the 6-10 year mark, with it typically being closer to the 10 side of things, and yes it is highly competitive. Also you don't do that job full time...it's a secondary AFSC and you go into a dual track career where you alternate between RAS/"foreign service" type assignments and assignments in your primary career field. Not sure how the other services do it.

OP it sounds like you would best be served by pursuing the FSO route, that sounds much, much, MUCH more up your alley. The short version is that there is almost zero chance you will get to do what it sounds like you want to do if you enlist; there is a slightly higher (but still not really high) chance you will get to do that if you pursue a commission...but good luck getting into OCS/OTS. The only way that going into the military makes sense is if you use it as a springboard to get some experience prior to going down the FSO application process, but even then like Godholio said you need to identify which service and which specialty are going to help you out most with that.

Give the Foreign Service thread over in A/T a look, see what they have to say.

e: Not saying that going the FSO would be much easier than pursuing getting a commission, because it probably won't, but at least if you were successful the chances of you doing something that you would probably want to do would be higher than going after a commission.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 29, 2013

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

ktimekiller posted:

Question about enlisting.

I am currently in college and soon to graduate in the next year as an Asian Studies major and Global Studies minor out of UCLA.

I have been considering career options and came up with 2 ideas, career Military and Foreign Service.

If I go the Military route, I want to work in the international/public relations field.
I have also considered that if I go Military, I may end up trying to get into the Foreign Service after my term is up.

What do the experienced think of this?
Let me know if you need more information.

I read this and all I can say is, "congratulations on writing for the base website."

Foreign service dude. Avoid the military.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax
Good loving luck getting into the Foreign Service right now though.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

Do not enlist with a degree. I did. Do not.

ktimekiller
Jan 9, 2012
Could you explain?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

ktimekiller posted:

Could you explain?

It's a terrible loving idea. Alright so you come in as a 23-year old fresh out of college and into a world where you are so completely inconsequential that being tasked to clean up a bathroom will be a good day because no one higher up will gently caress with you.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

ktimekiller posted:

Could you explain?

Hmm well I could get paid a lot more and gain more respect or literally be driven like a slave and treated like a criminal for three years.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Last tuesday my recruiter called me up and asked if I could take the ASVAB on Monday or Tuesday this week. I said I could on Tuesday. So I show up today and find out I was on the list to take the ASVAB yesterday. At least I get to take it tomorrow instead but god drat.

I just cannot comprehend how poo poo like this happens. First they mess up my name and now they schedule me on the wrong day.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Mustang posted:

Last tuesday my recruiter called me up and asked if I could take the ASVAB on Monday or Tuesday this week. I said I could on Tuesday. So I show up today and find out I was on the list to take the ASVAB yesterday. At least I get to take it tomorrow instead but god drat.

I just cannot comprehend how poo poo like this happens. First they mess up my name and now they schedule me on the wrong day.

You've described every day while you're in.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mustang posted:

I just cannot comprehend how you can't see the giant red loving flag flying in your face.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Mustang posted:

Prepare for a long 4 years.

JohnnyHardcore
Jan 15, 2008

Mustang posted:

If these things are legitimately bothering you, do yourself and your sanity a favor and do not enlist. Once you're in, your entire life will be managed by people who cannot figure out what your name actually should be, and once you're past the enlisting stage, it will probably do something neat like cause them to decide you're trying to collect benefits under a false name and send you to prison for 17 years, and then once you get out you'll be sent right back because you were reported as AWOL by the unit that sent you to prison in the first place because some PFC was hungover and didn't properly triple file your prison transfer form. And some how you will also end up with AIDS, and they will charge you for it because you didn't fill out a hand receipt for your AIDS before you caught it.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Well it's not like I'm enlisting with a degree, I'm trying to get the OCS contract and I'm told I'm a good candidate for OCS. I first went to the recruiting office on June 24th and it's over a month later that I finally get to take the ASVAB.

I talked to some of my friends that are in the Army and they're telling me that this particular recruiting station has always been lovely and that I should go to the one in the town to the south instead.

The station in the town to the south is the one I went to 5 years ago and they had me taking the ASVAB the very next day.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Just curious, what stopped you 5 years ago?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
College from the sound of things.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Yep, college. I was determined to enlist but the soldiers in my family persuaded me to stay in college since I had a scholarship and Florida College Prepaid covering all my expenses, an opportunity not many people had.

I hated the first few years but I'm glad I stuck with it, though sometimes I wish I had enlisted back in 2008.

I have a good idea on what life as an officer is like since my dad spent 27 years as one and I grew up on and around military bases for most of my life.

I'm just impatient right now because I don't have much to do for the time being and I'm tired of living in the Tampa area.

Beria
Nov 13, 2011

Mustang posted:

Well it's not like I'm enlisting with a degree, I'm trying to get the OCS contract and I'm told I'm a good candidate for OCS. I first went to the recruiting office on June 24th and it's over a month later that I finally get to take the ASVAB.

I talked to some of my friends that are in the Army and they're telling me that this particular recruiting station has always been lovely and that I should go to the one in the town to the south instead.

The station in the town to the south is the one I went to 5 years ago and they had me taking the ASVAB the very next day.

Buddy, everyone with a degree is told they're a good candidate for OCS. Whether you are or not is another matter. Don't get me wrong, it's not like officers are some fraternity of the elite, but most enlisted will think you should and could be an officer since YUO HAVE DEGREE

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Just gonna say Beria is the reason you should join the military.

So you can be like Beria.

Masterful job.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been really considering joining the military. But am I doing it for the right reasons? I've been raised in foster care since I was 12 and have never had a real family or discipline now i make 800 a month using govt aid and working a thankless job that only requires me to log in to the internet occasionally and go to group homes and tell 16 y/o "please dont rape" I want to stop being lazy and do something better. Should I enlist?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Turtlicious posted:

I've been really considering joining the military. But am I doing it for the right reasons? I've been raised in foster care since I was 12 and have never had a real family or discipline now i make 800 a month using govt aid and working a thankless job that only requires me to log in to the internet occasionally and go to group homes and tell 16 y/o "please dont rape" I want to stop being lazy and do something better. Should I enlist?

It may not be a bad idea. Don't expect it to be what you think it is. You sound like you don't have a college education or money to get one so you'll get that from the military.

Do yourself a favor and enlist for the absolute minimal amount of time you can. I believe you have to do three years to get the full benefit of the GI bill so I would start there. That way you can decide if you like it and if you don't you can get out as soon as possible. Don't get duped into five years like I did. If they offer you a bonus for an extra year of service, you have to decide how much your time is worth to work another year in a job you might possibly hate. I'm not really savvy with recruiting and how bonuses are figured so maybe someone can pipe in. Or maybe someone already has.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Go USAF. Look for the least challenging, most tangibly rewarding path to do 4 years.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

holocaust bloopers posted:

Go USAF. Look for the least challenging, most tangibly rewarding path to do 4 years.

Seriously, go easy. Once you get out no one will give a gently caress about how hard you had it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Seriously, go easy. Once you get out no one will give a gently caress about how hard you had it.

I'm also 325 and 72 inches

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Well then. YLLS is a very helpful sub forum.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Turtlicious posted:

Well, your life will probably become shittier, but the money will definitely go up.

Cole is right. If you do go ahead with it, join up for the least amount of time possible (3 years), and pick up that GI Bill action. I'll also add you should pick what sounds like the easiest job ever to you. X-ray tech, legal assistant, anything that doesn't sound like it involves shooting people. You sound like you've got at least a little bit of life experience behind you, and you shouldn't under any circumstances take army values as real world values, or anything you learn about behavior, social interaction, even ways of thinking as ever relating to the civilian world, because the army is it's own microcosm of dumb that feeds on its own poo poo in a constant metaphorical orgy of effluent that makes no sense at any time to anyone that isn't a fuckin' maniac.

Really, if you join up, do everything to keep your expenses low, get in, save cash, get out, collect unemployment and the GI Bill and go to school.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Even better.

Turtlicious posted:

... you've got some work to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Turtlicious posted:

Man that isn't a minor detail. You literally need to lose a hundred pounds before you can join. A recruiter will not even talk to you until you bring that down to like 230 or less.

• Locked thread