Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

bitches get ~tsundere~ when I pull out my katana
the hip-to-leg ratio of this cartoon videogame person is way off let me post da vincis vitruvian man to show u

if u strip away the hair of the attractive geek girl character in panel three, u can clearly see that her cranium is shapel like a male one

the vanishing point in this rape apologist strip is clearly off as i will demonstrate by drawing perspective lines all over it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

get your darmok & jalad and catdrugs shirts here

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

bitches get ~tsundere~ when I pull out my katana
This comic is a parody of the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "Darmok" in which Captain Picard and the Enterprise crew meet with a Tamarian ship. They can translate the words of Tamarian, but because the language is based on metaphors, they cannot understand what the words mean. "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra" is repeated many times in this episode by the Tamarian captain, Dathon. Picard is eventually able to decipher the line to discover that it was a story of two warriors marooned on an island (Tanagra) who work together to defeat a common foe. The alien's intention is that he and Picard work together to defeat a monster as a way to cement ties between the Tamarians and the Federation.
In the comic, instead of suggesting a dramatic gesture to achieve a diplomatic breakthrough, the alien seems to be using a corny up chat line. It is not clear if he is chatting up Deanna Troi (who has the long curly hair) or Picard. However, given that in the original episode Darmok and Jalad (the two warriors) were identified with Dathon and Picard, it seems likely that he is flirting with Picard.
"Kalenda's" sounds similar to "Calender's" and could refer to calender models and be the name of an adult dance/strip club.
The title text suggests that the actor Patrick Stewart (who played Picard) might sometimes feel as confused by the way that Star Trek fans talk as the character he played did in this episode.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Otaku Alpha Male posted:

"Kalenda's" sounds similar to "Calender's" and could refer to calender models and be the name of an adult dance/strip club.
i just googled this and holy poo poo no you loving sperggggggggggggggggggggg

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Otaku Alpha Male posted:

as soon as some webcomic gets posted, every loving goon is suddenly an art critic lecturing ppl about anatomy and expression and

as a faceless, formless, emotionless blob I-

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-us-save-mobilicity

$400,000,000 to buy a wireless carrier

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Otaku Alpha Male posted:

This comic is a parody of the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "Darmok" in which Captain Picard and the Enterprise crew meet with a Tamarian ship. They can translate the words of Tamarian, but because the language is based on metaphors, they cannot understand what the words mean. "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra" is repeated many times in this episode by the Tamarian captain, Dathon. Picard is eventually able to decipher the line to discover that it was a story of two warriors marooned on an island (Tanagra) who work together to defeat a common foe. The alien's intention is that he and Picard work together to defeat a monster as a way to cement ties between the Tamarians and the Federation.
In the comic, instead of suggesting a dramatic gesture to achieve a diplomatic breakthrough, the alien seems to be using a corny up chat line. It is not clear if he is chatting up Deanna Troi (who has the long curly hair) or Picard. However, given that in the original episode Darmok and Jalad (the two warriors) were identified with Dathon and Picard, it seems likely that he is flirting with Picard.
The title text suggests that the actor Patrick Stewart (who played Picard) might sometimes feel as confused by the way that Star Trek fans talk as the character he played did in this episode.

what the gently caress

WHAT THE gently caress

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

quote:

If our campaign dosn't reach our goal of 400 million we will then refund the money given to us!

but we're gonna make it a flexible funding campaign anyway

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm kinda surprised; people actually watched Penny Arcade's reality show thing? I read the premise and it was immensely depressing

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
C$233

Raised of C$400,000,000 Goal

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

haha flex funding

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Fabricated posted:

I'm kinda surprised; people actually watched Penny Arcade's reality show thing? I read the premise and it was immensely depressing

details? sounds like a good laugh

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

i am so ready to shell out literally hundreds off millions for a kickstarter that spells it "substane"

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

it took me like a solid minute to figure out what word he meant to use there

is this person mentally ill

If you can't donate please make some noice online

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Werthog 95 posted:

"let's raise four hundred million dollars to buy a mobile carrier, who's in"

they're either mentally ill, 12, both or just trying to make a quick buck

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

cause they don't have to refund anyone and flex funding lol

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Werthog 95 posted:

it took me like a solid minute to figure out what word he meant to use there

If you can't donate please make some noice online

NOICE!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

hubris.height posted:

details? sounds like a good laugh
From the site:

quote:

In 2011, the Creators (a.k.a. Mike and Jerry) declared to the Penny Arcade office that a reality show based on webcomics must be done. After a year of research and a successful Kickstarter stretch goal (thank you!), the stage had been set for 12 Artists flown from around the world to compete for $15,000 in cash and a year integrated into the Penny Arcade machine.

Through a variety of events and challenges, these 12 will fight, claw, write, and draw until only one Artist remains. Friends may or may not be made.
if you ever needed to know how sad the world of wanna-be webcomic stars is, here you go

$15,000! Work for Penny Arcade! Get some advertising or links to your comic I guess! Are you ready to let a panel consisting of two guys who are only successful because of being at the right place and time judge your work and declare you worthy or unworthy??

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Tim Buckley "draws" a hideously unfunny comic that's a distant also-ran to PA, and tried to start a PAX knockoff out of sheer jealously (which failed miserably by the way) and he has more dignity than the people who participated in this contest.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
digital ogreload

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jSk5OzexN0

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Positively cringe-inducing.

And yet, again, he still has more dignity than the Strip Search contestants.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Fabricated posted:

Tim Buckley [...] has more dignity
not true after he sold his original loss layout sketch on ebay :unsmigghh:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Fabricated posted:

From the site:
if you ever needed to know how sad the world of wanna-be webcomic stars is, here you go

$15,000! Work for Penny Arcade! Get some advertising or links to your comic I guess! Are you ready to let a panel consisting of two guys who are only successful because of being at the right place and time judge your work and declare you worthy or unworthy??

this is very funny thank you

i never understood PA's appeal its marginally funny at best and that's not a high bar. i guess being 'successful' at webcomics is a lifetime goal for people. sad part is i bet one or two of the people are actually skilled artists with statements to make and they will get turned away instantly.

still the whole thing is p shameful. 15k salary to work for PA and have your work day recorded

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hubris.height posted:

this is very funny thank you

i never understood PA's appeal its marginally funny at best and that's not a high bar. i guess being 'successful' at webcomics is a lifetime goal for people. sad part is i bet one or two of the people are actually skilled artists with statements to make and they will get turned away instantly.

still the whole thing is p shameful. 15k salary to work for PA and have your work day recorded

they stuck to putting out 3 comics a week every week for a really long time and the art used to be also decent while they were doing that. hence they became a popular comic

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Penny-Arcade is the epitome of "Right Time, Right Place".

I can't even really say they're good businessmen since they were involved in the gigantic E-Front debacle and nearly lost the rights to their comic.

Just pure unadulterated luck that lasted until they were smart enough to make good decisions about how to make money and how to spend it, with PAX being the smartest.*

*Discounting PAX Australia, which I hear was a mess.

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

the video of buckleys convention is like the spiritual predecessor of all the pathetic brony cons you see these days, my fav part is the keyboard toss in what looks like an unused warehouse for the grand prize of a gaming mouse or keyboard lol

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fabricated posted:

I can't even really say they're good businessmen since they were involved in the gigantic E-Front debacle and nearly lost the rights to their comic.

Just pure unadulterated luck that lasted until they were smart enough to make good decisions about how to make money and how to spend it, with PAX being the smartest.*

to be fair when they joined efront they were like 20 and 21 and in college or some poo poo.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Hashtag Nascar posted:

the video of buckleys convention is like the spiritual predecessor of all the pathetic brony cons you see these days, my fav part is the keyboard toss in what looks like an unused warehouse for the grand prize of a gaming mouse or keyboard lol

I remember hearing he was also super controlling about letting any information in or out. Like there was no wifi and people couldn't bring their own MiFis or tether their devices or they risked being kicked out.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Sham bam bamina! posted:

not true after he sold his original loss layout sketch on ebay :unsmigghh:

i miss having a CAD mock thread, when did this happen?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Migishu posted:

last month, read all about it here.

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012

cool biRd pics
Aug 28, 2009

you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2010618696/dkss-reality-death-maze

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

cyberia posted:

I'm the life-ruining spinal injury sustained during the cliff jumping segment.

click this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHjVW3uUAb8&t=43s

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Migishu posted:

what even happened to the CAD mock thread

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
bss basically banned mock threads because the andrew dobson/tom preston thread got obsessive over digging up his many failures in life

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

slogsdon posted:

bucko's dog died and the thread was beginning to meltdown so waterhaul closed it to let things cool off. then he never re-opened it and banned new mock threads. i guess it was a necessary evil because goons do ruin everything but come on

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jul 30, 2013

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i mean on the one hand, yeah, it was getting out of hand

but on the other hand reading that dobson blog entry where he tells the tragic tale of woe about how his college anime club ditched him in favor of watching what they wanted and having fun was totally hijacked by traitorous upstarts was pure gold

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Fabricated posted:

robert khoo's the smart one, though gabe/tycho should get some credit for at least showing up three times a week; you couldn't get most webcomic artists to stick to a schedule if you put a gun to their heads.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

slogsdon posted:

Start one in yospos. See how long til it gets gassed and you get banned. It'll be like a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Fabricated posted:

I keep hearing this, but from what I have heard from nerds who went there, it seemed alright.

• Locked thread