Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Aphrodite posted:

Does it not have the same levels as the K70? The high setting on the K70 hurts my eyes.

It does, and I keep mine on the lowest setting. Or on the "follow the keypresses" setting because that's cool. :c00lbert:

Does the K70 have Blue or White LEDs? The K95 has white ones, they're a little less blinding than blue ones would be and also don't reflect nearly as much off of the black anodized aluminum chassis. I've seen pictures which suggest the K70 might use blue LEDs, which I know from experience can be literally eye-damaging bright with direct exposure even at low voltages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The K70 comes in black aluminum with red LED or silver aluminum with blue. I have the silver/blue and...

Aphrodite posted:

Does it not have the same levels as the K70? The high setting on the K70 hurts my eyes.

Seriously the low setting is almost too bright. The brightest setting is like the sun.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat

Agreed posted:

My wife wants my K95 to glow more. BULLSHIT, it glows just right :3:

My wife says my DAS keeps her up at night :(

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dogen posted:

The K70 comes in black aluminum with red LED or silver aluminum with blue. I have the silver/blue and...

Seriously the low setting is almost too bright. The brightest setting is like the sun.

Yeah, aluminum/blue for me too. I would guess the red isn't as bad, but red/black is so overdone.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Black chassis/White LED works great.

I just ordered a Caps Lock replacement key with "Left Ctrl" instead, and a cross-hatch textured spacebar from WASD. This is how it starts, isn't it?

I've made a lighting macro profile with just the Caps Lock key LED disabled to start getting used to it. Hoping it arrives this week, picked Priority but you never know.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Agreed posted:

It seems like a remarkably good deal for a MX Brown keyboard with some nifty features for durability, portability, and ease of use?

Cool deal, I went ahead and ordered it. Sorry I thought I had posted a bit more background earlier, basically I telecommuted for a few years, and since the pets don't mind, I used a Model M. A month or so ago I got a new gig in an actual office building and a 'comes with the PC' type keyboard. I thought about bringing in my Model M, but worry about annoying my new coworkers and it growing legs.

I went ahead and bought one so we'll see if it's any good, and how the browns compare sound and feel-wise to buckling springs. If I had my own office, with a door, I'd without hesitation pickup a unicomp and happily clackity clack myself all the way to 5 o'clock.

asciidic posted:

I'm thinking of going in on this. I always get cheap/hand-me-down keyboards because I don't want to break an expensive one. I am become WASDeath, the destroyer of spacebars. My old Logitech Elite lasted a record 1.5 years before the spacebar and num 0 went limp and tapped out. Hopefully this thing will handle the abuse.

I'm not sure, can you replace cherry mx switches easily, or is it a resolder job?

Agreed posted:

I just ordered a Caps Lock replacement key with "Left Ctrl" instead, and a cross-hatch textured spacebar from WASD. This is how it starts, isn't it?

I'm planning on the same thing. Death to caps lock.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
I've currently got a Logitech Wireless Keyboard K350 which is pretty much meh for games and after disassembling it to clean, since it was a health hazard it's not quite been the same (or it is now like it used to be, I'm not sure. I've been looking at the SteelSeries Apex Raw as a replacement. What do people think of it? anyone had one and would recommend it? or is there something better out there? Since i finished uni i've got no need to do a lot of text editing so games and web browsing are the primary uses.

vogonity
Aug 1, 2005

Buglord
^^ I was considering one of those but I wanted to enter the world of mechanical keyboards (I'm prepared to join the insanity) and the Apex isn't mechanical. I also don't like the gloss around the keys. My previous keyboard had it and it's just harder to clean and looks cheap imo. Seems like a decent keyboard otherwise.

I just received a SteelSeries 6Gv2 Black and Red edition to test out. I think I like the Black better (Red sort of feels too floaty for me), but I was wondering if something like this will fit into one of these keyboards in order to test out other switches.

Also, slightly related, ordered a SteelSeries Kana and Sensei Raw to test out as well and I'm leaning towards the Sensei. Feels better in my hand despite the Kana supposedly having a better sensor.

Anyhow, these are my first SteelSeries products and I'm decently impressed by the build quality. Specifically the keyboards. They have a nice weight to them.

Edit: I forgot to mention I also ordered one of these huge wrist pads and I love it so far. I actually ordered another one because I can turn it sideways and use it like a huge comfy mousepad/arm rest :D

vogonity fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 24, 2013

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I am building a new machine exclusively for gaming. I want a keyboard with the following features:

- Wireless
- Long lasting battery (No preference between rechargeable vs. AAA/AA)
- Backlit
- Near zero input lag (it's for gaming!)
- Can accept multiple simultaneous keystrokes
- Requires no firmware (if that's impossible, then has firmware that isn't a pain in the rear end)
- Connects via a dongle (my machine does not have built in bluetooth and I prefer not to add it internally)
- Won't interfere with a wireless mouse and wireless Xbox 360 controller

Does such a keyboard exist? I have found the Logitech K800 and it may work for me, anyone know this keyboard?

EDIT: Or should I abandon the desire for a wireless keyboard and just get a ~10-foot USB extender?

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

My parents have that at home. It's decent, but way overpriced for the quality of the keyboard, even considering the featureset. I'd spend a bit more for a backlit mechanical with cherry brown switches and a USB cord extender before I'd go wireless for gaming.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I ended up needing the numpad more than I thought I would, so I returned the K65 and picked up a Coolermaster Storm Quickfire XT with Cherry Reds for about $80CDN. I couldn't find it anywhere online a few days ago, and the shop said they just got them in today. Seems to be a new product. Awesome timing.

This thing seems like it'll be fantastic as a work keyboard. Really understated looks, and the matte finish looks really slick. The case is really slim and easy to tuck into a bag, and the deatchable cable also helps a lot in the portability department. The only thing that might be an issue is that the USB cable isn't anchored onto anything, so hopefully the port on the keyboard itself won't fail after repeated wiggling of the cord from moving around.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I returned my Coolermaster Stealth with MX Greens. After a few days I just found them too stiff. I tried out a brown in-store (the Trigger) and found it a little too mushy. Does this mean Clears are the best middleground?

In terms of the keyboard itself, I love the layout and design. I just didn't care for the MX Greens for an extended period.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I got the sampler pack from WASD when I called them to make sure I wasn't loving up the order (first-timer) for my swank "Left Ctrl" replacement Capslock key, and it turns out that 1. they are releasing back-lit keys and back-lit keyboards soon (so I'll probably get the exact same key, but, you know, back-lit); 2. their space bars aren't compatible with K95 space bars so they were quick to cut that once I let them know my usage case; and 3. those guys rule, I got a sampler pack and now I can safely say that I would probably love the MX Blues although my wife would kill me with a fork because if one of them clickety-clacks that much I can't even imagine a bunch of them. A one-man band of clicketyclicketyclicketyclicketyclickety

MX Blacks are pretty good, too. Did not care for the Browns (at all, that non-linear actuation is weird with so little force required), but I liked the MX Blacks a lot. I might end up getting a WASD board with MX Black switches if they're still using Costar and they come out with a full-sized board (I really like me a numpad, okay?). It has all the qualities I like about the MX Reds, but a little firmer actuation. I don't think it would slow down my typing at all, I have this piece of dogshit Logitech board to compare them to and ANY mechanical switch from MX kicks its rear end for feel, it would just be a little harder to accidentally trigger adjacent keys if I wasn't ultra precise.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah green and clear are both not very common flavors. There should be a chart in the OP (or maybe you have to look it up on WASD or somewhere) about the switch types but those are both odd choices.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
http://www.keyboardco.com/blog/index.php/2012/12/an-introduction-to-cherry-mx-mechanical-switches/ I always find this link an immediately helpful color switch reference when I occasionally look into keyboards.

Coxswain Balls posted:

I ended up needing the numpad more than I thought I would, so I returned the K65 and picked up a Coolermaster Storm Quickfire XT with Cherry Reds for about $80CDN. I couldn't find it anywhere online a few days ago, and the shop said they just got them in today. Seems to be a new product. Awesome timing.
$80 CDN? That's great, is there a link online? I've been looking for a new Cherry Red/Brown model at a good price for our silly currency.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 25, 2013

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

TheRationalRedditor posted:

http://www.keyboardco.com/blog/index.php/2012/12/an-introduction-to-cherry-mx-mechanical-switches/ I always find this link an immediately helpful color switch reference when I occasionally look into keyboards.

$80 CDN? That's great, is there a link online? I've been looking for a new Cherry Red/Brown model at a good price for our silly currency.

I went to Memory Express and pricematched with Direct Canada. Normal price is a hundred bucks there, but ME matches the price and knocks off an additional 25% of the difference.

I don't think it's on their website yet since it's brand spanking new. It was the same thing with the K65 when I picked that one up a few days ago, but it was added shortly after, if you wanted to order online.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Dogen posted:

Yeah green and clear are both not very common flavors. There should be a chart in the OP (or maybe you have to look it up on WASD or somewhere) about the switch types but those are both odd choices.

Yeah, I spent that weekend reading up on all the different types, then another two days after while growing unsatisfied with my greens. I liked them, but they weren't "perfect" and I'd rather not spend that kind of money on something that isn't. I found the browns a little too light, so I took a look at the clears and was hoping someone had some experience with it since most youtube reviews for mechanical keyboards are "this is what the keyboard sounds like". Sure, I know that the blues require 45cN of force, and clears 55cn, and so on and so on, but without feeling it it's hard to compare ( say, how it compares to a membrane / scissor keyboard). Considering clears are much, much harder to find in the style I want (tenkeyless, non-flashy/limited branding for use at work), and even then expensive (which I don't mind if it's something I know I'll keep and use) I was hoping someone had more experience.

Stores really only carry the Blackwidow here, and I know I don't like those blues. If I wind up ordering the clears, it'll be online, and I live in :canada: so I'll probably get reamed on shipping and customs.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jul 26, 2013

vogonity
Aug 1, 2005

Buglord

WorldWarWonderful posted:

Yeah, I spent that weekend reading up on all the different types, then another two days after while growing unsatisfied with my greens. I liked them, but they weren't "perfect" and I'd rather not spend that kind of money on something that isn't. I found the browns a little too light, so I took a look at the clears and was hoping someone had some experience with it since most youtube reviews for mechanical keyboards are "this is what the keyboard sounds like". Sure, I know that the blues require 45cN of force, and clears 55cn, and so on and so on, but without feeling it it's hard to compare ( say, how it compares to a membrane / scissor keyboard). Considering clears are much, much harder to find in the style I want (tenkeyless, non-flashy/limited branding for use at work), and even then expensive (which I don't mind if it's something I know I'll keep and use) I was hoping someone had more experience.

Stores really only carry the Blackwidow here, and I know I don't like those blues. If I wind up ordering the clears, it'll be online, and I live in :canada: so I'll probably get reamed on shipping and customs.

Order the WASD sampler pack: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/review/product/list/id/7185/category/19/

It's not the best way to test, as they're only one switch each, but it was enough for me to get an understanding of the differences. I didn't solder them into a board or anything, just pushed the bottom into some styrofoam and clicked at em a bit with the keycaps on. You don't even need to get the keycaps if you have some already.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

WorldWarWonderful posted:

As the above guy mentions, clears are part of the WASD Sampler Pack and they're pretty good! A bit more force than I'm used to, but my board has reds. I liked their tactile feeling a lot more than anything but the Blues, which my wife would probably kill me if I used (by the way, they don't feel or sound anything like a Model M to me, personally, anyone else have an opinion on that?)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Sort of a side question, but I figured you guys might know since the cause is keyboard. I busted a switch pulling a keycap off. Looks like I'm going to be doing some soldering work. Is there a preferred wattage for the soldering iron and/or preferred solder type? Is there a decent cordless soldering iron yet?

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

PortaSol makes some pretty good butane soldering irons at different price points.

blackmarketlimb
Dec 27, 2005
Is there any home remedy for "broken" keys? I just got a Corsair K95 as a replacement to a K90 that started repeating keystrokes, and I can't spare the money or hassle to send this one back too.

The problem is the left shift button feels weird - it takes a lot of force to depress on one side and it feels like there's a lot of resistance beneath it. It feels like it's trying to be a Cherry blue without the right feel, if that makes any sense. I can learn to live with it, it just bums me out because I frequently use that key in typing and gaming.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Got a soldering iron? I'd mail you an MX Red switch for free if it'd slot in (not guaranteed, they oblige different configurations iirc and this is a sampler from WASD and I am not sure if they use the "diode under each key" method Corsair does).

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

It could also not be the switch itself but the stabilizers. Did you pull the keycap off and see if there's anything obviously wrong? I don't know any specific fix besides the good old "take things apart and put it back together and pray."

blackmarketlimb
Dec 27, 2005
Yeah, I took the cap off first thing. The switch itself - I don't know much about keyboard interals, so please bear with me - presses fine and smooth. I'm talking about the red switch. However, there's two black switches on either side. The right most one feels fine, and the key presses normally in the center or on the right corner. The black switch on the left side feels loose and wobbly, and that side requires a good amount of force to press down and it feels like there's something resisting the key press on that side.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
About how long should I expect it to take to get used to a modern mechanical keyboard? It felt better than a regular one/laptop keyboard after one day, but I've lost a quarter of my speed.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

The black parts are the stabilizers I was talking about, they're a common point of failure. Unfortunately from what I googled it looks like it's a pain to remove them on Corsair boards since they use the combo of plate mounted switches + Cherry stabilizers.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

helopticor posted:

About how long should I expect it to take to get used to a modern mechanical keyboard? It felt better than a regular one/laptop keyboard after one day, but I've lost a quarter of my speed.

It honestly takes a while. Depending on the switches you have, it can be even longer. It took me a while to get used to blues but reds were a whole different monster. I still mess up on reds a lot but not as much as I used to. The big thing I notice I do is I rest my fingers on my keys which result in random letters getting spewed out all over the place.

Other than that, I figure about a month or so should get you close to normal depending on the switch.

blackmarketlimb
Dec 27, 2005

Internet Friend posted:

The black parts are the stabilizers I was talking about, they're a common point of failure. Unfortunately from what I googled it looks like it's a pain to remove them on Corsair boards since they use the combo of plate mounted switches + Cherry stabilizers.

Well poo poo. Thanks for the help - I guess I'll either have to suck it up or try and get them to cover the cost of shipping. It just really annoys me that despite liking them so much, both my Corsair boards have come with defects and I really can't afford to keep shipping them back/the lost productivity of having no keyboard and taking time off work to get to the UPS store.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

blackmarketlimb posted:

Well poo poo. Thanks for the help - I guess I'll either have to suck it up or try and get them to cover the cost of shipping. It just really annoys me that despite liking them so much, both my Corsair boards have come with defects and I really can't afford to keep shipping them back/the lost productivity of having no keyboard and taking time off work to get to the UPS store.

For what it's worth, they printed me a prepaid shipping label on a used board because the leg of it broke off at some point during its use. They really go the mile on customer service, especially if you make 'em. This is an issue you can in no way fix yourself without voiding the warranty, and given that you're talking about a really expensive keyboard, it is not the thought that counts, here, it's the fact that it's unacceptable to have a malfunctioning key (especially something that we use ALL the time, this isn't exactly Pause/Break here). Call 'em and gripe if you need to.

To reiterate, they are replacing, fully at their expense, a keyboard whose only malfunction is that it lacks a rear leg on one side. Including a prepaid shipping label. And it's not new, either. So if they're willing to do that for me, surely they can take care of you on something seriously impacting your ability to use the product, y'know?

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

helopticor posted:

When I got my first MX brown mechanical keyboard, I didn't feel much of a difference compared to my cheap membrane keyboard and thought, "Well poo poo.. did I just waste my money?" After having used my mechanical keyboard at home and another mechanical at work every day, I tried using my previous cheapo keyboard just to see what it felt like. That keyboard felt like poo poo. The difference in tactile feedback was really apparent (wiggly keys, squishy feel with no solid tactile feedback, lightweight/flimsy.)

Perhaps YMMV, but for me the difference wasn't noticeable until I started adapting to my new keyboard and then going back and trying my old keyboard.

e: Realized I didn't quite answer the question... Took me probably 1-2 weeks to get used to how light the keys were. At first I kept hitting accidental keystrokes, but I eventually got used to the sensitiveness (mx browns.)

krnhotwings fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 28, 2013

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Well just bought myself a new keyboard since this 15 euro keyboard from a local electronics chain one is literally falling apart.

Upgraded to a Filco Majestic (blue shift) instead, 105 fin/swe keycap layout. I wanted a blue case with white or beige buttons but none where available anywhere I was looking, so I had to settle for black/black. Should be a giant steup up at any rate.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
I'd like to make a recommendation. I own the Logitech G15 Keyboard for I don't know how many years, it has and still continues to work perfectly. Everyone should have one. The aesthetics of it are somewhat dated but whatever, it is the single best keyboard I have ever and will ever own.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

helopticor posted:

I'd say about a week. It depends on the individual and how many different boards you use regularly, as well.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Dogen posted:

I'd say about a week. It depends on the individual and how many different boards you use regularly, as well.

The tactile bump helps a lot; it took me two or three days to stop bottoming out often on the MX Greens, but the stiffness killed my pinky finger. I ordered the same keyboard, the Coolermaster Stealth, in Blues because it was on sale for 65 bucks after a rebate, and I'm hoping those are the right fit for me. If not, no big deal, I'll just bring it into work and use it there.

sound_again
Jun 19, 2012
I'm not seeing any mention of this deal in the last page or so, but for only the next day Massdrop has a deal on Max Keyboard Nighthawks for just 105 USD, or 30% off. They have the following on offer:

MX Blue w/ white LED
MX Brown w/ white LED
MX Brown w/ blue LED
MX Brown w/ green LED
MX Red w/ white LED
MX Red w/ red LED

I really would prefer MX red with blue LEDs, sadly. Blue backlight is a must as everything else in my setup glows blue. I'm thinking I'll just get the browns, as everybody who gets them seems to get used to the tactile bump eventually. Decisions... :ohdear:

You have to sign up for the site to have access to the deal.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

sound_again posted:

I really would prefer MX red with blue LEDs, sadly. Blue backlight is a must as everything else in my setup glows blue. I'm thinking I'll just get the browns, as everybody who gets them seems to get used to the tactile bump eventually. Decisions... :ohdear:

You have to sign up for the site to have access to the deal.

I tried them out in a store and they were way less pronounced than I thought they were - they aren't as tactile as a blue or green. Then again the only PC games I play are adventure games or ones that are easy to play with a controller. I also didn't notice the same buildup of resistance as I got closer to the actuation point, compared to a blue or green which put up a little more of a fight.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I'm glad that I got the sampler pack from WASD (did I mention those guys rule?), because it 1. made me totally rethink my assumptions about Blues - I figured they'd be just like Model M, which is not ideal for me, but they are not and I could rock a keyboard with them if not for the fact that my darling wife would murder me with my own keyboard after CLACKITYCLICKITYCLICKITYCLACKCLICKCLACKCLICKTY times a few hundred thousand, and...

2. Made me really appreciate the linear actuation of the Reds. I would HATE a keyboard with Browns, their breakover resistance loss is really weird and uncomfortable to me compared to the Red linearity. I also would probably get along fine with Blacks, or Clears. These are all good switches in my opinion, I can see why some people would like the browns because you can really tell when you've activated them, but I think I'd be less pleased with "tactile feedback". In their own way, the Reds do provide feedback, it's just not exactly like the browns - you just sort of acclimate to them and you know when you've hit the key and can move on (this is not a thought-out thing, either, it just happens as you go) ... it's hard to explain and easy to feel if you have ever used them, you know what I mean, you know when they've been depressed before you bottom them out. If I had a board full of browns I'd be more annoyed by constantly bottoming them out because once they're actuated, they have practically nothing stopping your fingers at all.

Would be cool to have a MX Red keyboard with a Brown macro bank and Brown numpad, though, that feel would be more applicable for those in my head.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Looking to pick up a new keyboard and I'm debating if I should go with brown or red switches. Are there any cheaper places to pick up some sample switches than the WASD site? Those end up around $20 for me with shipping, which is a little pricey considering I only need to try a couple of them.

I'd rather test a whole keyboard of course but all we have around here are Best Buys. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Looking to pick up a new keyboard and I'm debating if I should go with brown or red switches. Are there any cheaper places to pick up some sample switches than the WASD site? Those end up around $20 for me with shipping, which is a little pricey considering I only need to try a couple of them.

I'd rather test a whole keyboard of course but all we have around here are Best Buys. :/
I was actually able to find a Logitech G710+ (Cherry browns) at a Best Buy, so don't rule it out completely. Whether they'll let you take it out of the box is a different story, but you might want to go take a look anyway.

• Locked thread