Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

blackguy32 posted:

A price cut would probably do absolutely nothing. What the Wii U needs is something to pull people to the system. I would say Earthbound would be along the lines of what needs to keep happening. As it stands, even with a price cut, there would be nothing to play on it.

To sell people on the Wii U we need to sell them a 20 year old game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

RagnarokAngel posted:

To sell people on the Wii U we need to sell them a 20 year old game?

No, they need to release games that are as good as Earthbound, which they haven't really done.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

blackguy32 posted:

No, they need to release games that are as good as Earthbound, which they haven't really done.

But neither have MSFT or Sony :v:

Hopefully the games coming out will help. This will be my first time as just a Nintendo platform holder, since the gamepad is boss as gently caress, so the lineup is looking really good as far as I'm concerned. The only thing I won't buy this year is Wii Fit U.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 29, 2013

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

Neither have 99% of game developers, and the market seems to be doing fine.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Oh come on, you guys are being disingenuous. There are barely any games worth playing on the Wii U at this moment, and there are dozens of games worth playing on the PS3 and 360.

No one has said anything about the market as a whole.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

blackguy32 posted:

When an interviewer told Joseph Heller that he had never written another book as good as Catch-22, Heller replied "Neither has anyone else"

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

blackguy32 posted:

There are barely any games on the Wii U at this moment.

This is what you meant, I'm sure.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
Personally I'm holding out for some great 3rd party titles from Ubisoft, such as a new Imagine Babyz or Petz Sports.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

The_Frag_Man posted:

Wasn't something similar happening in New Zealand? Hopefully more of this happens and Nintendo are forced to pull their finger out.

Yeah I posted about it earlier on in the thread. The thing had about as much impact here as a wet fart.

I mean it doesn't help there's almost no Nintendo nostalga (seemingly the only thing they were counting on to sell the WiiU?) here because everyone had Sega consoles and Amigas, but the Wii sold super will here, while the WiiU didn't even really launch, it just sort of turned up on shelves and no one bought it.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I and everyone I know immediately knew this system was in trouble when it was named the Wii U and it's gimmick was a lovely tablet. The fact that it wasn't even clear that it was a new console (and still is not to many, many people), there's plenty of people who think it's a lovely tablet add on that aren't console gamers.

I don't know how any marketing company could have green lit the calls their made. It's insane.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I really wish they would just suck it up and release a bundle sans gamepad. I mean it's neat, but there aren't many games of note to begin with, and how many of them are really reliant on the gamepad? I think it was smart of Sony to not bundle move with the PS4. It's a niche accessory, the same way the gamepad would be if it wasn't a necessary purchase. I mean christ, the thing is a $100 lead weight on console sales.

I still wouldn't buy it with a price drop, (the games) but it would help. v:shobon:v

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
A lot of the games they showed at E3 had underwhelming tablet usage which kind of makes me wonder if they aren't playing with the idea.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

blackguy32 posted:

Oh come on, you guys are being disingenuous. There are barely any games worth playing on the Wii U at this moment, and there are dozens of games worth playing on the PS3 and 360.

No one has said anything about the market as a whole.

I think it's worth noting that Nintendo/fan typical response to the Wii U being underpowered is their focus on "fun" is starting to wear really, really thin.

The Wii U was just a poorly thought out system in a lot of aspects, technically and marketing wise.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I don't own a Wii U, but don't you need the gamepad to navigate the system menu?

Granted that's probably something they could patch out, but I'd be surprised if they did that.

A price cut would be a good idea regardless though. Especially with the PS4 looming on the horizon at a mere $50 more.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Yeah I posted about it earlier on in the thread. The thing had about as much impact here as a wet fart.

I mean it doesn't help there's almost no Nintendo nostalga (seemingly the only thing they were counting on to sell the WiiU?) here because everyone had Sega consoles and Amigas, but the Wii sold super will here, while the WiiU didn't even really launch, it just sort of turned up on shelves and no one bought it.

It's pretty much the same across Europe too. It's hard to pinpoint exactly who the Wii U is for. The "just give me a new mario, zelda and smash bros" people don't seem to realise that they're just a vocal minority. Those things were not what made the Wii a success, it was mostly simple and fun local multiplayer and a control system that helped include people who generally don't play games at all. While the marketing of the WiiU has also been poor I don't think making clear it was a new console would've had much an effect on sales either, the sorts of people who would buy a WiiU already know its a new console, the millions of people who bought a Wii for non-nostalgia reasons wouldn't buy one anyway because it offers nothing they want over the Wii which they already have.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Blazing Ownager posted:

I think it's worth noting that Nintendo/fan typical response to the Wii U being underpowered is their focus on "fun" is starting to wear really, really thin.

The Wii U was just a poorly thought out system in a lot of aspects, technically and marketing wise.

Yeah really I've had the system since launch and I've only gotten two games, and I only have two because Nintendoland was a pack in. If Mario U and Luigi U was cheaper I'd probably consider it, but the rest of the exclusives are really underwhelming. Even counting Pikmin the sum total of the games that I would own would be a hypothetical 5. Five games for a system that has been out since last November. And it's not like I have anything against the company, I already have mountains of Nintendo poo poo. It's just in contrast I've gotten far more games in the same time period for each other existing current gen console and handheld. Hell I got more Wii games in the last 6 months than Wii-U games.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

WendigoJohnson posted:

Hell I got more Wii games in the last 6 months than Wii-U games.

And people say backwards compatibility doesn't matter.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

bushisms.txt posted:

And people say backwards compatibility doesn't matter.

Honestly, I've been too lazy to transfer my Wii stuff over to my Wii-U. They both sit next to each other among the myriad of systems, so yeah still using my OG Wii.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

WendigoJohnson posted:

Honestly, I've been too lazy to transfer my Wii stuff over to my Wii-U. They both sit next to each other among the myriad of systems, so yeah still using my OG Wii.

Same here but that's more because I have a PAL version of Xenoblade and my Wii is modified to play it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Yeah I'm still super confused as to why they didn't change the name right then and there to something clearer. There's been tons of Wii accessories that were called "Wii ___" so naming their new console the "Wii U" was a stupid as gently caress idea, and when this was proven by the mass confusion caused by their E3 conference they just barged ahead with it anyway.

That said, the Wii U's biggest problem is that there's nothing to buy on it unless you're a rabid monster hunter, pikmin or earthbound fan and are willing to drop 300+ dollars to play those games (I'm in all three categories and I would buy five WiiUs if I could play a smash bros demo tomorrow for one hour). They should've waited until this holiday to come out with it, with the huge amazing release titles and Smash Bros not too far-off with the name "Super Wii."

Instead they rushed it out the gate for Black Friday with barely any games, and a barely functional OS that you had to spend 2 hours downloading.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 30, 2013

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Bobnumerotres posted:

That said, the Wii U's biggest problem is that there's nothing to buy on it unless you're a rabid monster hunter, pikmin or earthbound fan and are willing to drop 300+ dollars to play those games. They should've waited until this holiday to come out with it, with the huge amazing release titles and Smash Bros not too far-off with the name "Super Wii."

No that's even worse than the Wii-U, they should just get back to calling the systems Nintendos.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bobnumerotres posted:

That said, the Wii U's biggest problem is that there's nothing to buy on it unless you're a rabid monster hunter, pikmin or earthbound fan and are willing to drop 300+ dollars to play those games (I'm in all three categories and I would buy five WiiUs if I could play a smash bros demo tomorrow for one hour). They should've waited until this holiday to come out with it, with the huge amazing release titles and Smash Bros not too far-off with the name "Super Wii."

Instead they rushed it out the gate for Black Friday with barely any games, and a barely functional OS that you had to spend 2 hours downloading.

I would point out that if they had in fact held it back for this holiday season, they'd really need to have bumped the specs more especially considering the price point.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

WendigoJohnson posted:

No that's even worse than the Wii-U, they should just get back to calling the systems Nintendos.

Wii 64. WiiDS.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

WendigoJohnson posted:

It would be pretty cool if the next console is just called "The Nintendo". Every single game journalist story about it would be calling it a "reboot" and then getting angry at Nintendo because it didn't follow through with usual Hollywood reboots and make every original Nintendo property gritty and depressing.

Wait no that's the opposite of cool.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom posted:

Wii 64. WiiDS.

That just makes the Wii name look even worse, The Nintendo Seven would have been a better name.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

WendigoJohnson posted:

That just makes the Wii name look even worse, The Nintendo Seven would have been a better name.

Why would I go out and buy a Nintendo Seven when I can purchase a Nintendo 64? The bigger number the better!

:v:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Why would I go out and buy a Nintendo Seven when I can purchase a Nintendo 64? The bigger number the better!

:v:

Wii One.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
They should call it the Ninstalgia, where every game is certified by Nintendo to make you yearn for a time when you weren't jaded about the videogame industry and all you really cared about was hitting the A button and watching things happen.

Bump N Jump HD packaged in with the console.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Just call it The Mario. Shape the console like a fat idiot plumber and sell it to nostalgic 20-somethings for $600 a pop.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
gently caress, just make the thing look exactly like an N64, and make it backwards compatible with N64 cartridges, and rerelease old N64 games, and to keep cost down remove the ability to play Wii and Wii U games.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Super Wii.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Just call it The Mario. Shape the console like a fat idiot plumber and sell it to nostalgic 30-somethings for $600 a pop.

20-somethings played Sony and Xbox primarily when growing up, it was the older guys who were into Nintendo. If you can remember places like Babbages or Walden Electronics before gamestop acquired them all, you remember having to buy the NES and SNES in stores, because none of those places were around when Playstation came out.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 30, 2013

literally real IRL
Apr 28, 2008
They should make an alternate model, like the PS slim, give it a new name like Nintendo 7, drop the tablet, add in reverse compatibility with Wii games, add connectivity with 3DS, and create a better online account system. Then pretend it's a completely new console.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Taser Gator posted:

They should make an alternate model, like the PS slim, give it a new name like Nintendo 7, drop the tablet, add in reverse compatibility with Wii games, add connectivity with 3DS, and create a better online account system. Then pretend it's a completely new console.

Sega, Nintendo, and Sony all tried this, it did not work well. The Sega Nomad the Japanese PSX, and the Panisonic Qubed were all failures. Sega also had the Neptune in production but it was canceled.

Really the only example of this sort of working was the PsOne. But it was under 100 bucks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Taser Gator posted:

It has reverse compability with Wii games already.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I've been saying to myself this is a repeat of the N64 years for Nintendo where third-parties left them high and dry for the competition forcing Nintendo to rely on their own development studios while trying very hard to woo the third-parties back. Though there are a few differences this time, the first being GoldenEye 007 and Ocarina of Time aren't on the horizon but they don't have a bullheaded CEO who refuses to compromise for the greater good. As well, they don't have the problems of an unpopular (and expensive) storage media but their release calender would make Nintendo circa 1997 blush with embarrassment (the Wii U has nowhere near the amount of vaporware that kept gamers hoping in the late '90s).

I guess what I'm getting at is Nintendo is very much repeating history by having a console that is being openly shat upon by the third-parties but are in a better position to recover if they just focus on releasing GAMES while keeping their costs low because they now have two mega-companies to worry about instead of the one.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

WendigoJohnson posted:

20-somethings played Sony and Xbox primarily when growing up, it was the older guys who were into Nintendo. If you can remember places like Babbages or Walden Electronics before gamestop acquired them all, you remember having to buy the NES and SNES in stores, because none of those places were around when Playstation came out.

this is correct.

Ive never understood the love affair with Earthbound. Completely overshadowed by other legendary games of the time... and it was sort of like Secret of Evermore, where you play for like 2 hours and then go what the f*** is this and go outside.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

TyroneGoldstein posted:

this is correct.

Ive never understood the love affair with Earthbound. Completely overshadowed by other legendary games of the time... and it was sort of like Secret of Evermore, where you play for like 2 hours and then go what the f*** is this and go outside.

Neither did I, I spent 10 dollars on a Mother 2 cart, had the translation guide, beat it and felt unfulfilled. The art direction was like one of the early to mid 90's nickelodeon cartoons, which I could see the appeal. But it goes bizarro pretty quickly making the last few legs of the game just like every other 90's JRPG out there. And having it be 100 bucks because of hoarders is stupid. That and the game is short.

In contrast I can see why Xenoblade costs over 100 bucks because you have a ton of game time in there. It still shouldn't be at that price though, no game should.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

TyroneGoldstein posted:

this is correct.

I'm sorry you hate fun dude. Earthbound kicks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Bobnumerotres posted:

I'm sorry you hate fun dude. Earthbound kicks rear end.

The battle system is the same as any of the Dragon Quest games. It only stuck out because it was one of the very few JRPGs released in America. Meanwhile, it had loads of competition in Japan from the likes of Dragon Quest 5, Front Mission, Wonder Project, and a slew of other games America never got on the SNES.

Seriously, Wonder Project is something of a crime that it was never brought to America. One of the few games that used the SNES to it's full power.

• Locked thread