Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:angel: There's three seasons of masterchef out there.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but I kinda love that show. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
I'm having trouble with my chicken banh mi. I have a surprise picnic I'm planning and I had enough time to run to the Korean market (almost the same as any other except for no drat limes and surly old Korean ladies abound) and grab a chicken. I was going to do cold peanut sesame soba noodles, but turns out she doesn't like cold noodles. So, I'm switching it to a banh mi, I can swing by home and do about 10 minutes of prep before I have to leave so this seemed like the best idea as I can prep most of the stuff the night before. I have all the veg in easy access so I can pull it out and chop, I have the chicken cooked and soaking in its gelatin. I'm going to stop by the lovely Korean bakery and get a passable baguette and I have do chua of beets and carrots in the fridge.

The one thing I'm missing is where I need advice. I used to work on a French line, but I haven't had a kitchen in the past year except for a hot plate and I'm all out of sorts. With a roast chicken banh mi should I be going for a fish sauce, lemon juice, chili sauce or try and whip up a quick mayonnaise during the lunch break? I kind of like the idea of having the mayonnaise there for the bottom to keep the bread from being soggy, but I can also mash up an avocado and spread that on the bottom. She's Korean and really has never had Vietnamese food so I don't want to go too chili and fish sauce heavy.

Also, pineapple salads I was going to basically chop up pineapple and some of this native Korean green that is similar to water cress and sorrel and make a dressing similar to the one for papaya salad and toss it in that before I leave. That sounds good yeah?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
The Banh Mi place here makes their own mayo for their sandwiches and I really couldn't imagine the sandwiches being better if he went a different route.

Mayo, daikon, cilantro, pickled carrot, and jalapeno.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Steakandchips posted:

Jiro loves sushi is an awesome movie.

yeah, I fuckin loved this movie. already seen it, but man I don't think I could bring myself to watch it on my flight. have a 3 hour layover in tokyo, id be like biting my cheek and sobbing

so close, yet so far...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

DontAskKant posted:

The one thing I'm missing is where I need advice. I used to work on a French line, but I haven't had a kitchen in the past year except for a hot plate and I'm all out of sorts. With a roast chicken banh mi should I be going for a fish sauce, lemon juice, chili sauce or try and whip up a quick mayonnaise during the lunch break? I kind of like the idea of having the mayonnaise there for the bottom to keep the bread from being soggy, but I can also mash up an avocado and spread that on the bottom. She's Korean and really has never had Vietnamese food so I don't want to go too chili and fish sauce heavy.

Aioli is mandatory for good banh mi, particularly chicken in my opinion. also mandatory is pickled carrot/daikon or whatever, cilantro, and fresh jalapeno. beyond that I'm sure whatever you wanna do is fine

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

mayo is def necessary, mix maggi in the mayo, too.

Marinate the chicken in fish sauce, lemongrass, ginger, garlic, and palm sugar.

do chua (pickles), fresh chiles, cilantro is necessary. cucumber is a nice touch.

My fav banh mis have pate in them, too.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Seeing as I'm in Korea this sandwich has to be only banh mi-esque. Thanks, I'm just going to try to whip up a garlicky mayonnaise with no mustard and hope that works. I'm for going the cilantro and using 바듬 as the green which I know isn't right, but I couldn't take a 2 hour train ride down to get cilantro and then 2 hours back. I'm hoping for just a delicious sandwich I guess. Which is really what happens when you gently caress up a banh mi. I was outraged at the daikon price today so I went with carrots and beets. I did manage to find jalapeños after 2 years. Oh man I bet I have an immersion blender in a box somewhere, I could just use that for my mayonnaise. Tiny whisk isn't going to work.

Has anyone tried the Serious Eats canned sardine banh mi?

I need recommendations on whetstones too. Chef always had a $400 one that I can't afford.

Edit
Question : would you not date someone because they didn't eat a certain food. Is there a food that is that important to you?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

DontAskKant posted:

Seeing as I'm in Korea this sandwich has to be only banh mi-esque. Thanks, I'm just going to try to whip up a garlicky mayonnaise with no mustard and hope that works. I'm for going the cilantro and using 바듬 as the green which I know isn't right, but I couldn't take a 2 hour train ride down to get cilantro and then 2 hours back. I'm hoping for just a delicious sandwich I guess. Which is really what happens when you gently caress up a banh mi. I was outraged at the daikon price today so I went with carrots and beets. I did manage to find jalapeños after 2 years. Oh man I bet I have an immersion blender in a box somewhere, I could just use that for my mayonnaise. Tiny whisk isn't going to work.

Has anyone tried the Serious Eats canned sardine banh mi?
sardine banh mi is pretty good, but not my favorite. Works well in a pinch. getting specifically jalapenos isn't really necessary, any hot green chile will work fine, I actually prefer serranos. If you can find culantro, that would work fine as the herb, shiso might be pretty interesting to try and I'm sure you can find that in korea.

quote:

I need recommendations on whetstones too. Chef always had a $400 one that I can't afford.

King stones are alright entry level stones that won't break the bank. They make double sided stones, too. Something like a 1000/6000 doublesided would be a great affordable stone. Shaptons are great, too, but they are quite a bit more expensive, the nice thing about those is that you don't need to soak. I have a bester 1200 that I won from one of the ICSAs that is really really awesome, too.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

King stones are alright entry level stones that won't break the bank. They make double sided stones, too. Something like a 1000/6000 doublesided would be a great affordable stone. Shaptons are great, too, but they are quite a bit more expensive, the nice thing about those is that you don't need to soak. I have a bester 1200 that I won from one of the ICSAs that is really really awesome, too.
I use a Beston 500, Bester 1.2k and Suehiro Rika 5k and like them well enough. I think I bought them individually, but it looks like they have a package deal sort of thing on CKTG now that includes all of those plus some random accessories for $140.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Thanks, what is CKTG?

The shiso I will try at some point, we do have it here as perilla/sesame leaf being the English translation though it's a little different. Finding different kind of peppers here is hard. The jalapeños is the only fruity one of seen aside from the Thai chilies. The Kazakh place I took GrandFromage to used the perilla as a wrapping for dolma which didn't quiet work. Not when you are expecting the smoothness of grape leaves.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Thai chiles would work just fine, just don't go overboard with them.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

DontAskKant posted:

Thanks, what is CKTG?

chefknivestogo.com

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

EVG posted:

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but I kinda love that show. :)

More, I wanna see him freak out on the plane at someone putting up some really terrible food. Masterchef is bizarre but okay by me.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

DontAskKant posted:

Edit
Question : would you not date someone because they didn't eat a certain food. Is there a food that is that important to you?

Pizza. Nah, I think it's more that I'd never date someone who didn't want to eat anything new ever or only "liked" three different things for dinner. Whenever I see posts asking for advice for cooking for someone like that I get kinda bummed out. Part of why I love my fiancé so much is that she loves food as much as me. Sure, everyone has weird things they don't like even though they should (she doesn't like caramel, wtf?) but as long as they're willing to try things that might be new or unfamiliar at least once it's fine. I don't think I could be with someone that picky, it'd be too boring!

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

She's agreeing to eat banh mi and spicy pineapple salad on a first date, so that's new enough, I'll ease the cilantro in later if it works out. She did make a vomit emoticon at cold noodles, but that's a common texture thing. Bonus points are always added when she'll eat anything at all.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

DontAskKant posted:

She's agreeing to eat banh mi and spicy pineapple salad on a first date, so that's new enough, I'll ease the cilantro in later if it works out. She did make a vomit emoticon at cold noodles, but

sever

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Iron Lung posted:

Pizza. Nah, I think it's more that I'd never date someone who didn't want to eat anything new ever or only "liked" three different things for dinner. Whenever I see posts asking for advice for cooking for someone like that I get kinda bummed out. Part of why I love my fiancé so much is that she loves food as much as me. Sure, everyone has weird things they don't like even though they should (she doesn't like caramel, wtf?) but as long as they're willing to try things that might be new or unfamiliar at least once it's fine. I don't think I could be with someone that picky, it'd be too boring!

Yeah, I think I feel the same. Main wife loves food too; it's something we both get a great deal of pleasure from.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I know what else she also gets pleasure from...

(my penis)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Steakandchips posted:

I know what else she also gets pleasure from...

(my penis)

Given that you too are in London that's actually more plausible than most jokes of that ilk. BUT IT'S NOT TRUE! :argh:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Pasta, bread, rice (not in that order). The first two are negotiable. The last is not. I can deal with most vegetable pickiness, as I've dealt with a fair few myself. But not eating the actual food part of the meal would be a deal breaker.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I wish people could make nice food at decent prices here.
But I live in the perineum of the world.
Not enough variety here to ever have anyone be "un-dateable"
Take banh mi for example.
Where I live is very close to Vietnam, heaps of Vietnamese are living here too, a lot own bakeries or delicatessens, no bahn mi shops though. Subway is the closest you'll get unless you make it yourself at home.
I guess when the immigrants came here 40 years ago they tested the waters and found out it was too risky, and the family businesses just stuck with bread and milk. Such a shame, but they were probably right, the usual poo poo fast food, cafe and bar/restaurant chains are doing very well.

Pretty much anyone here can only get what is usually safe boring foods, so it's just never brought up during a date.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Just came back from a cabin trip with my gf, her parents and her sister+bf. A neighbour came by and gave us two wonderful, fresh fished cusk. As I'd never prepared one before, I went up a hill to get cell reception and looked for recipes. I was worried that the meat would be too coarse but a quick google recommended pan searing and grilling, even likening the meat to lobster. After gutting, decapitating and filleting(the fillet knife barely pierced the skin, go go Fiskars knives) I boiled the bones and head to make a fish stock to bring home. Great was my surprise when the stock was thrown out and the tiny pieces of fish put into the freezer for the cats to enjoy.

I sliced the fish into portion size and noticed that the skin had a slime that rubbed off a bit on the white meat. I removed the skin (didn't want to, but the parents insisted because it was yucky ew gross slime) and only barely convinced my gf's mother that rubbing the fish with an old used dishwashing brush was a very bad idea. I'd divided the barbecue into a hot and a cold zone as the pieces were quite thick. After searing nicely I put them on the colder side to avoid overcooking the fish. A few of the pieces were promptly butterflied by others, and put on the hot side to avoid them BEING RAW INSIDE WHEN SERVED EW GROSS, but I shrugged and kept on trucking.

I was really surprised at the taste and texture of the cusk, close to cod but with its own strengths. A piece of fish was deemed to be EW GROSS RAW due to juice running from it when cut, and a lot of the fish was promptly floured and pan seared for an additional 20 minutes to their tastes. (bone dry)

This was served with some great potatoes, carrots and a powdered hollandaise sauce. I offered to make one, but they opted for the powdered sauce which they made with margarine(equal parts rape seed oil, sunflower oil, coconut oil and shea, they call it butter),diluted with water and stock cubes and rethickened with potato starch. Gloopy.

Luckily the last cusk is in my freezer right now, maybe I'll try baking it.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Nothing is non-negotiable in romance, given a demonstrable willingness to provide skillful oral sex. Plus, I'm learning to cook vegan! It's probably good for me, which is why I am going to fire up the smoker tomorrow.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

DontAskKant posted:

Meat. I could never deal with someone who is vegetarian/vegan because (a) I am an omnivore and I don't want to cook around self-imposed dietary restrictions that involve entire food groups, and (b) the veggie contingent around here are all completely up their own asses about how they won't eat ABC because XYZ, aren't you impressed? :smuggo:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

So here is a pretty cool photo essay. Pictures of grandmas around the world with their signature dishes, before and after cooking.

http://www.demilked.com/delicatessen-with-love-gabriele-galimberti/

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

I think it's a repost, but it deserves a repost.

This is making my mouth water. My grandparents had the same salt and pepper shakers too.

Edit: I don't see a single dish I wouldn't eat. Grandmas are the best.

BlueGrot fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 30, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That meal just makes me sad.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

That's norwegian cuisine for yah.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Looks like good food to me. Not exciting, but nice when it's 20 below.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

My favorite norwegian foods:

1. Pinnekjøtt, salt cured lamb served with potatoes and mashed rutabaga.
2. Fårikål, lamb and cabbage in alternate layers, boil for 3 hours and serve.

I sent Gourd of Taste a package of pinnekjøtt, dunno if he tried it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Yawgmoth posted:

Meat. I could never deal with someone who is vegetarian/vegan because (a) I am an omnivore and I don't want to cook around self-imposed dietary restrictions that involve entire food groups, and (b) the veggie contingent around here are all completely up their own asses about how they won't eat ABC because XYZ, aren't you impressed? :smuggo:

Around here as in physical location, not GWS, right?

I'd like to add how proud I am to have contributed the thread title.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

BlueGrot posted:

Edit: I don't see a single dish I wouldn't eat. Grandmas are the best.

I'd eat it all except for the catepillars. I would TRY it but still be skeezed out even if it tasted good. I'm a bad person :(

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Have I invented a dish that no one else has? I think that's impossible. I've found that subing chicken with boudin noir in alfredo is pretty much one of the tastiest things ever. I googles it but I don't see anyone ever posting anything about it. You should try it. It makes it grey instead of white but drat it's tasty. Also, blood sausage is one of the tastiest things ever so if you haven't tried it, you should. Don't be a pussy, dino.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

therattle posted:

I can't speak for Yawgmoth, but I'd say GWS is the opposite of this. I know a lot of people who like to brag that they haven't eaten a burger in a month, and they look down on everyone because others have. These are the same people who think "vegan" and "organic" are interchangeable terms and a box of pasta isn't "vegan enough" if it came from a supermarket.

I think GWS is more or less open to taste and improve on anything. Well, maybe not anything.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That meal just makes me sad.

It's missing sweet-sour onion sauce and lots of freshly snipped parsley. Don't go dissing on long-simmered beef, it's seriously good stuff. All that undiluted meatiness and sticky-melty fatty bits :kimchi:

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Heathen.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Croatoan posted:

Have I invented a dish that no one else has? I think that's impossible. I've found that subing chicken with boudin noir in alfredo is pretty much one of the tastiest things ever. I googles it but I don't see anyone ever posting anything about it. You should try it. It makes it grey instead of white but drat it's tasty. Also, blood sausage is one of the tastiest things ever so if you haven't tried it, you should. Don't be a pussy, dino.

I've done blood sausage in a goat chz cream with orecchiette and crisp veg. Pretty loving good.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So here is a pretty cool photo essay. Pictures of grandmas around the world with their signature dishes, before and after cooking.

http://www.demilked.com/delicatessen-with-love-gabriele-galimberti/

this is awesome, I love poo poo like this

there's so much food in the world I know nothing about, which makes me very, very happy.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

therattle posted:

Right.

contrapants posted:

I know a lot of people who like to brag that they haven't eaten a burger in a month, and they look down on everyone because others have. These are the same people who think "vegan" and "organic" are interchangeable terms and a box of pasta isn't "vegan enough" if it came from a supermarket.
This is pretty much exactly what I'm talking about. I had a guy blather on at me for a good ten minutes at work yesterday about how he only eats organic vegan preservative free :downswords: and how it's so hard for him to shop for food because of it. But hey, if people want to spend an extra $5/lb on produce so they can feel superior, more power to them. I just want them to stay on the other side of the river.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
A doctor I saw to get a script for some antibiotics told me to change my diet and avoid all processed food and corn to cure my allergies after fasting for a couple days. I asked him if he thought I could have had an actual allergy to corn and he said it was unlikely but I should avoid corn anyways.

A doctor.