Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
Yes. It's basically what every "Unofficial Patch" should be. It rebalances some things, but it's done with a very light touch- it's not some bloated overhaul mod.

There's no reason not to use it, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, I was thinking of replaying New Vegas since I've never completed it. I had a look at the J.E Sawyer mod since it seems that it changes the game for the better. Is it a good idea to install the mod if you've never completed the game before?

Yes. I'd even say to get it before playing the game for the first time.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Chronojam posted:

Yes. I'd even say to get it before playing the game for the first time.

Yeah, the only reason not to use it is that it might be a little rough on a first-time player, but if you're familiar enough with the game not to get yourself murdered out of the gate you'll be fine.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
How does Sawyer mod play with Project Nevada, any obvious conflicts?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Don't use the PN Rebalance module and you ought to be fine, I believe. I think it's fine with the other PN bits?

However, I have to dissent a bit with the last few posts: jsawyer isn't an automatic apply in my opinion. It's a very good mod and yes, it will probably make NV better for you, but some people just want to be FO3-style supergods dishing out death and destruction at every turn while still being able to hit every conversation skill/SPECIAL check. So I can't agree with "there is no reason to not use it."

It's a very easy decision to make, though. Read the list, does it appeal to you? Absolutely use it. Does it not appeal? Absolutely don't. There should be no hesitation when you read it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Threadkiller Dog posted:

How does Sawyer mod play with Project Nevada, any obvious conflicts?

Only with Rebalance, and then you can just mess with the values to your liking.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

If you use everything but the rebalance module of PN there shouldn't be any conflicts. If you use the rebalance module, load it before JSawyer and you'll be fine.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How is that tale of two cities mod lately? I kind of want to play FO3 through, but I can't stand not having ironsights.

BigDes
Dec 27, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How is that tale of two cities mod lately? I kind of want to play FO3 through, but I can't stand not having ironsights.

Still kind of weird, latest version demands the FO3 DLC but you can never activate it (or at least I can't). So still a bit wonky

As for ironsights then I suppose there is this?

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/6938/

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Rebalance and JSawyer can cause some conflicts, but you can set the conflicting parts of PN to the values JSawyer uses in-game.

Cirosan's Classic Overhaul will have a thing you can use that's similar, so you can choose your preferred values vis-a-vis CCO/Jsawyer.

You can use all three, but it's more prone to bugs and other issues; CCO and PN both use a lot of scripts, so you might have to give certain settings a minute to finally click for all the right scripts to trigger and resolve.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
God, maintaining uniques or modded weapons is an utter pain without Jury Rigging. Goddamn duct tape and/or wrenches.

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

ronya posted:

God, maintaining uniques or modded weapons is an utter pain without Jury Rigging. Goddamn duct tape and/or wrenches.

There is a mod to turn off degradation. I kind of look at it as my char is weapon cleaning freak who I assume keeps up with weapon maintenance

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Am I the only one that thinks Jury Rigging is a wasted perk, considering how many Weapon Repair Kits you can make upon getting Repair to 50? I mean the materials to make them are EVERYWHERE! Not to mention some of the dealers will sell 10 of any given Weapon Repair Kit material.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Reapring items with other items is good for other reasons: helps lower clutter in inventory, prevents you having to throw away loot if you're overencumbered by using a crappy-condition laser pistol to increase the cash value of a medium-condition laser pistol. Plus unless there's an Armour Repair Kit outside of mods, Jury Rigging is more versatile.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

i am tim! posted:

Am I the only one that thinks Jury Rigging is a wasted perk, considering how many Weapon Repair Kits you can make upon getting Repair to 50? I mean the materials to make them are EVERYWHERE! Not to mention some of the dealers will sell 10 of any given Weapon Repair Kit material.
I could do that, or I could never have my weapons or armor degrade ever without messing around with the semi-clunky crafting system, the relatively heavy kits themselves, or the parts (though EDI being a workbench helps with that). Kill dude, pick up weapon that fits my weapon vaguely, repair, move on. Plus I get more money from selling full quality stuff for no effort and I can repair armor for free too. Keeping Graham's armor topped off with pre-war clothing is great. I mean, my Repair is already going skyhigh so I can make awesome bullets, why not take one perk of the many that I have available?

edit: If you're willing to just repair weapons using kits, then yeah, it probably is better to not take Jury Rigging. There are definitely some perks I'm willing to take to make my life easier, and that's one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, jury rigging is useful if only because you don't really have anything else to do with all the dozens of junk weapons you loot from random bad guys. You can't sell them because they're worth poo poo, and dropping things in good conscience a game like Fallout is impossible for someone like me. :shrug:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

:ssh: Jury rigging works on armor too. :ssh:

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Now that I levelled up and just pointed Jury Rigging, it feels a little cheesy fast-travelling all over the Mojave looking for the one guy still selling service rifles, just so that I can save tens of thousands of caps on unique rifle repair.

I mean, it works, but this is like doing fetch quests after having thoroughly explored the countryside. All the deliver-plot-coupon-to-X-destination get instantly solved through loading screens.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

ronya posted:

Now that I levelled up and just pointed Jury Rigging, it feels a little cheesy fast-travelling all over the Mojave looking for the one guy still selling service rifles, just so that I can save tens of thousands of caps on unique rifle repair.

I mean, it works, but this is like doing fetch quests after having thoroughly explored the countryside. All the deliver-plot-coupon-to-X-destination get instantly solved through loading screens.

I think this is one of those cases where it'd be easier to just make some weapon repair kits.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Sleepy Owl posted:

I think this is one of those cases where it'd be easier to just make some weapon repair kits.

How is that easier? Short of stealing it's decently hard to quickly buy or acquire all the ingredients needed to make enough weapon repair kits.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

ronya posted:

How is that easier? Short of stealing it's decently hard to quickly buy or acquire all the ingredients needed to make enough weapon repair kits.

The poo poo is laying around everywhere and once you have Muggy you are good to go on everything but wrenches really.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

The poo poo is laying around everywhere and once you have Muggy you are good to go on everything but wrenches really.
I thought that some of the DLC actually changes some of the junk everywhere. I know I had problems getting stuff until I threw in all of the DLC + Project Nevada and then it was a lot easier.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

socialsecurity posted:

I haven't even started any of the DLC yet.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

sitchelin posted:

:ssh: Jury rigging works on armor too. :ssh:

Also sunglasses, which is important if you want to continue looking like the number one stunna when you're getting shot to hell.

How and why they can be repaired with pre-war hats, though, I have no idea.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
How often do non-quest-relevant or quest-exhausted locations respawn their NPCs? I've noticed that corpses disappear after some ingame days, but non-named NPCs sometimes do and sometimes don't. Do all the smaller Powder Ganger encampments simply never respawn?

Animals definitely keep turning up - a single scorpion seems to be repeatedly decimating Goodspring's unsuspecting settlers.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Wolfsheim posted:

Also sunglasses, which is important if you want to continue looking like the number one stunna when you're getting shot to hell.

"drat, I can't find any tinted glass to fix these shades. I'll just use leather instead." :haw:

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Boone

Boone

telling me that you shot your wife because there was no way to save her might seem a little more persuasive without the backdrop of a smoking Cottonwood Cove and three fleeing Weather family slaves behind you. As in, literally behind your Bethesda-engine talking head.

Or, I guess, I shouldn't have taken Boone's response as a cue to see whether the NPC chat dialogue had anything interesting...?

edit: also, it turns out that being Vilified by the Legion doesn't actually make Aurelius of Phoenix react at all when you barge into the HQ room, take stuff out of his desk right in front of him while he is sitting at it, and run out of the room. Dude is chill.

ronya fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jul 30, 2013

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Wolfsheim posted:

You're using the soft leather of your hat to polish all the dirt and grime off of the lenses but gently caress now the brim of your hat is dirty and no courier would be caught dead with a dirty hat so gotta toss it.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

ronya posted:

Boone
Boone
telling me that you shot your wife because there was no way to save her might seem a little more persuasive without the backdrop of a smoking Cottonwood Cove and three fleeing Weather family slaves behind you. As in, literally behind your Bethesda-engine talking head.
Boone is not the Courier though.
Normal, non-protagonist characters have no real chance of doing the crazy poo poo the Courier does in an average playthrough.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

I don't know about that, whenever I played vanilla with Boone he would end pretty much every fight himself before I even saw the enemy.

Pringles_School
Jul 24, 2013

ronya posted:

Boone

Boone

Or, I guess, I shouldn't have taken Boone's response as a cue to see whether the NPC chat dialogue had anything interesting...?

edit: also, it turns out that being Vilified by the Legion doesn't actually make Aurelius of Phoenix react at all when you barge into the HQ room, take stuff out of his desk right in front of him while he is sitting at it, and run out of the room. Dude is chill.

Doesn't Boone tell you that his wife was about to be shipped off across?

Or am I remembering things wrong?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I can't remember exactly what he said, but the gist was that he couldn't save his wife because there were too many Legion soldiers. Back then he was an average NPC, remember, not a level-scaling player companion in a power fantasy.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Pringles_School posted:

Doesn't Boone tell you that his wife was about to be shipped off across?

Or am I remembering things wrong?

Yeah, she was seconds away from being on the boat. So even if he did have crazy Level Scaling Powers he would have been too late.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dammit, Boone, this isn't the hardcore mode version of... uh, life. Don't you realize you could've just gone in rifle blazing (from a hill, far away) and won by sheer persistence between being knocked out for a few moments?

edit: I think saying something like that to him would probably make him more mad than it's worth.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
One of my great pleasures is getting all of my companions killed during my adventures. Half the time it's something stupid (like fast-traveling to Black Mountain into the middle of 3 deathclaws). The other half is cazadores.

And then I do Lonesome Road, and ask myself what can change the nature of a man.

edit: Honestly, my only real complaint about hardcore mode is permanent companion death. So many things go so wrong with the engine and animations that they tend to die for completely avoidable reasons. So I collect my friends and put them in my tower like they're pokemon.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 30, 2013

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

3Romeo posted:

One of my great pleasures is getting all of my companions killed during my adventures. Half the time it's something stupid (like fast-traveling to Black Mountain into the middle of 3 deathclaws). The other half is cazadores.

And then I do Lonesome Road, and ask myself what can change the nature of a man.

edit: Honestly, my only real complaint about hardcore mode is permanent companion death. So many things go so wrong with the engine and animations that they tend to die for completely avoidable reasons. So I collect my friends and put them in my tower like they're pokemon.

This is why you stick power armor on them and give them some overpowered fuckoff DLC weapon. Even Cass becomes a viable combatant when you load her up with power armor and that dog-powered minigun from OWB.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

3Romeo posted:

I just reload. I'd love a mod that mad you revive companions- the idea of a major character just dying off because you hosed up is pretty neat but 99% of companion deaths are Veronica trying to see if she can punch a cazador to death. (Spoiler alert: she can't.)

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Male Man posted:

Is it just a limb? Chop it off and bring back what you can.

No, his entire body is inside the pavement and only his back is sticking out from the ground

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Boone told me she was still on sale when he turned up. Maybe there is different dialogue available?

But the Courier isn't supposed to openly assault the camp, either. That's what the radioactive waste is for. The fluff is that there are "actually" hundreds of legionnaires, I suppose, but the engine can't handle that so whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Zeron posted:

I don't know about that, whenever I played vanilla with Boone he would end pretty much every fight himself before I even saw the enemy.

Makes you wonder if he even needed a spotter back in his 1st Recon day.

Speaking of Boone, I tried the prid console command but it didn't work. I think making a Boone clone messed something up. I just loaded an old save to begin again (pun intended) and Boone is functioning fine on the old save, and I did Dead Money again since I wanted to get the achievement for locking Elijah in the Sierra Madre vault. (Not sure if it's OK to have that last bit spoilered?)