Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
If you call tech support and I ask you what you're trying to do when you sound confused, have something in mind. Please. "What are you trying to do/log into?" "I DON'T KNOW!" Then why are you calling me? How can I possibly help you? Why does everyone expect IT to be psychic? Hell, if I were psychic I'd buy up lotto tickets...

Or the lady who freaked out at me when I asked if she remembered her ID. "I DON'T REMEMBER IT. I'M 40 YEARS OLD!" Uh, okay. Do you not realize that more and more older folks are coming back to college?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
So I went through the training for the support I'll be doing for the next month and it is all piss easy, just running Microsoft fixes and super simple office troubleshooting.

The problem is the help desk in India we are assisting didn't think in advance that maybe we'd need the tools they use to look up users, remote into computers and unlock poo poo on the active directory so now they are scrambling to make us accounts and give us remote access.

Lady spent two hours going over how to run a Microsoft hotfix and wouldn't even have said a drat thing about how they get to their vnc client if we hadn't asked about it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That reminded me of a caller from a call centre I recently found work in, b2b first line tech support. I was trying to find a client in the database with the (too long) employee ID he'd given, when all of a sudden while diagnosing his problem:
"Ahahahahah! I've just realised, earlier I gave you my old student ID from my college!"

:3: I'm enjoying this job. Just finished my 3rd week live. (UK call centre)

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .
Reading all the promotion talk in the last few pages is depressing.

There are no promotions in a call centre. It's like being in jail. You get moved from laundry duty to library duty, but you're still in jail.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Science posted:

There are no promotions in a call centre. It's like being in jail. You get moved from laundry duty to library duty, but you're still in jail.

Started on phones in 2004, now work from home for the same company doing what amounts to consultancy work but salaried.

You can do your time and get out as long as you don't let it grind you down.

TOTSE
Jul 23, 2011

SCREEAAAAAAW

Fil5000 posted:

Counterpoint: we had a guy come in on a dress down day wearing a Stetson and cowboy boots with flames on them. Some people just don't know how to dress at all.

Devil's advocate: When I was at a call center, I would sometimes come in wearing some such thing as brown corduroy and a bright orange aloha shirt. I knew it looked stupid. That was the idea; people looked and smiled and maybe felt a bit better for the day. Maybe these people weren't so aware of themselves, but maybe they were—consider that they made it through the interview.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

RN029-ARIN posted:

Devil's advocate: When I was at a call center, I would sometimes come in wearing some such thing as brown corduroy and a bright orange aloha shirt. I knew it looked stupid. That was the idea; people looked and smiled and maybe felt a bit better for the day. Maybe these people weren't so aware of themselves, but maybe they were—consider that they made it through the interview.

He was someone that failed the interview that came in as a temp. He devoted a ton of time to getting his fellow newbies to rise up and demand a ten minute break every morning and afternoon despite there being an hour long lunch break, a job that hardly tied you to the desk, and the existing policy on breaks being "don't go over 20 minutes of break in a 7 hour shift and try to avoid going for a coffee when it's busy as poo poo". He lasted about ten days into training before he was asked to leave and never return.

Also a bunch of people on my team had worked with him before and were begging me to make sure he didn't wind up with us. Dude was a winner all around.

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!

Science posted:

Any position where you don't have to deal with the phones anymore is a promotion in my eyes. Even though the job I got promoted to makes me hated by all the agents it's still worth it.

What I do now is monitor breaks and lunches and if people go over I either notify their boss or just go find them myself and tell them to get back on the phones. It's much better than taking calls will ever be. Even WITH the nasty looks from people that used to be my friends.

FWC
Jun 25, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
How can I create a new thread for this, Please help...

Legal advice:

Hey,
I am dealing with a unique situation where I may need a lawyer. Please give me some pointers. I was working at an IT firm as a service desk agent when my cousin calls and offers me a job in a nearby town. I talk about the options for a while before seeing that he doesn't want me to work for any other company. I am going through some changes at work and ask him if the position is open for an interview. He agrees and asks me to come down. After I arrive he changes the living arrangements with our colleagues. He changes from a mortgage to a rental and the friend group changes from older company engineers to some young twinks that work in the company NOC. I feel a little strange living with homosexual strangers, so I send my cousin a text saying "Noo gays". He immediately shows it to his gay colleagues who decide for him that they should cancel the job opening for me. I have already submitted my two week notice informally and feel like I need to come down and see whats going on. I am not clear why my cousin (who has a girlfriend) is putting so much importance on gays). Do you think I should file a law suite for cancelling a job opening over a personal living arrangement? Please advise. :)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

FWC posted:

Legal advice:

Hey,
I am dealing with a unique situation where I may need a lawyer. Please give me some pointers. I was working at an IT firm as a service desk agent when my cousin calls and offers me a job in a nearby town. I talk about the options for a while before seeing that he doesn't want me to work for any other company. I am going through some changes at work and ask him if the position is open for an interview. He agrees and asks me to come down. After I arrive he changes the living arrangements with our colleagues. He changes from a mortgage to a rental and the friend group changes from older company engineers to some young twinks that work in the company NOC. I feel a little strange living with homosexual strangers, so I send my cousin a text saying "Noo gays". He immediately shows it to his gay colleagues who decide for him that they should cancel the job opening for me. I have already submitted my two week notice informally and feel like I need to come down and see whats going on. I am not clear why my cousin (who has a girlfriend) is putting so much importance on gays). Do you think I should file a law suite for cancelling a job opening over a personal living arrangement? Please advise. :)

Is this you're situation? Because 1) You weren't hired, and 2) Your bigotry is well within their bounds to not accept. I would have done the same drat thing as well.

*edit* You lost a job because you're a bigot, I would accept that fact and move on.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 28, 2013

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

FWC posted:

Legal advice:

Hey,

I think you should post this word for word in this thread in Ask/Tell:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266659

They would love to help you. :haw:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

FWC posted:

Legal advice:

Hey,

Sorry to hear you were a victim of the GAY AGENDA.

less than three fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 28, 2013

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
New rule at my job is that we have to say "okay?" at the end of each call. Not doing so loses 1 point in qa. Figure that out.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Harminoff posted:

New rule at my job is that we have to say "okay?" at the end of each call. Not doing so loses 1 point in qa. Figure that out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DkfbgA8224&t=56m20s

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Harminoff posted:

I'm sure it sucks being watched for it but I tend to say "okay?" after everything I do, gives the customer an opportunity to tell me I'm wrong.

First day back at the call center today! I'm sure it'll wear off but I'm excited :woop:

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

ratbert90 posted:

Is this you're situation? Because 1) You weren't hired, and 2) Your bigotry is well within their bounds to not accept. I would have done the same drat thing as well.

*edit* You lost a job because you're a bigot, I would accept that fact and move on.

Yeah, I have to go with this. You weren't hired, and frankly, I would be incredibly loathe to hire a bigot in the first place. Dealing with callers is a pain in the rear end enough without dealing with bigoted co-workers.

The best you might do is just admit it and apologize, owning up to your mistake. Odds are good though, you sabotaged yourself. And ... might wanna work on that whole bigot thing.

Though, I'm a bit surprised this is your only post, FWC.

FWC
Jun 25, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Aerofallosov posted:

Yeah, I have to go with this. You weren't hired, and frankly, I would be incredibly loathe to hire a bigot in the first place. Dealing with callers is a pain in the rear end enough without dealing with bigoted co-workers.

The best you might do is just admit it and apologize, owning up to your mistake. Odds are good though, you sabotaged yourself. And ... might wanna work on that whole bigot thing.

Though, I'm a bit surprised this is your only post, FWC.

Well, I am working on making it up. I have tried to be friends with the gay kid. The situation was confusing and there was a power play within my family. Hopefully, I can change my avatar because those dudes are gay. Expect more posts to come.

Good luck!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

FWC posted:

Well, I am working on making it up. I have tried to be friends with the gay kid. The situation was confusing and there was a power play within my family. Hopefully, I can change my avatar because those dudes are gay. Expect more posts to come.

Good luck!

... You're either a brilliant troll or a complete idiot. I have no idea which.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Could be a reference to IWC / ironic war criminal. Either way I'd suggest ignore, report, move on.

3 shifts to go, I'm loving psyched. Freedom is so close.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

EvilHawk posted:

First day back at the call center today! I'm sure it'll wear off but I'm excited :woop:

Welp went about as I expected. It's weird being the "new guy" but knowing everything already. Bad thing is that I have to go through the entire 2-week training course again. Good thing is that I'm being trained on household rather than motor, so at least I'll be learning something new.

Moving to a swanky new building soon too! Where everyone has their own desks! But there's going to be even less parking available. Currently we have about 300 spaces for 1,200 employees. New building has ~150 spaces, and we're expanding (again). There isn't even any residential roads around we can take over. :sigh: Gonna have to bike it up 5 miles of hills to get to work.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker

EvilHawk posted:

Bad thing is that I have to go through the entire 2-week training course again.

Never say this in the presence of anyone in a call centre. People kill to get any time off the phones, and that includes even the most boring, redundant training courses.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ZeroDays posted:

Never say this in the presence of anyone in a call centre. People kill to get any time off the phones, and that includes even the most boring, redundant training courses.

As someone who was promoted to running these training classes, I give great thanks for this. People who I take off the phones to train are in the best moods because for the time I have them, they aren't taking calls.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

WampaLord posted:

As someone who was promoted to running these training classes, I give great thanks for this. People who I take off the phones to train are in the best moods because for the time I have them, they aren't taking calls.

So do you not find it annoying when they ask you a bunch of questions plainly intended to just draw things out?

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

ZeroDays posted:

Oh man, the SAP training I mentioned a few posts earlier was both the most boring and best thing ever. 5 hours a day for 3 days off the phones. I asked every loving inane question I could think of, including what it stood for.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

So do you not find it annoying when they ask you a bunch of questions plainly intended to just draw things out?

Not really, because it's a break from me standing up there and talking my head off for hours at a time. I try to make training as fun/engaging/interactive as I can because otherwise it would be boring/exhausting for me and for the trainees.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Sooo I accepted a call center job for a still-growing mortgage company back in November of last year buying into the "within 6 months you'll be promoted" speech they give to everyone. Come my 6th month into the company it starts leveling out and rather than promote people from the call center, other departments hire from outside the company/through referrals because they believe we aren't "seasoned enough" to get promoted. On my 8th month they freeze hiring to become "more efficient" so now I'm officially stuck in the position I should've left 2 months ago. Not only that but departments have started "trimming the fat" of less efficient workers (which I believe I am a part of, but mostly because I've lost the motivation to work since it's obviously getting me nowhere). I've been a top producer for the class that I started with and made a good chunk of change but they can definitely see that my drive is starting to slow down.

Basically not sure if I should put in my notice and quit (and spend months and months looking for a new job) or keep working there until I get terminated.

It's my first "real people" job after working at a pizza place for 4 years while I finished my schooling. So essentially my only experience is in customer service (which I hate with a passion).

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
What's to stop you from both working there, and looking for a new job?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

ZeroDays posted:

Oh yeah I know exactly what you mean, but it's so dull doing exactly the same "Basics of Insurance" booklet for the third time. I just want to get back to doing actual proper work! Feel free to quote me on this in 2-3 months time

More good news is that I'm going back with my old team leader, who loves me, and actually played a fairly big part in getting me rehired (HR had hosed up (again...)), and almost all of my old team are still there and happy to have me back :).

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Help desk log, Day 3:

I finally got my first ticket at my new desk! But the ticket was misrouted to my queue and after doing to some research to make sure there was nothing I could do I popped my findings in the ticket and redirected it to the correct queue.

Now my resolution rate is at 0% :suicide:

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

horchata posted:

Sooo I accepted a call center job for a still-growing mortgage company back in November of last year buying into the "within 6 months you'll be promoted" speech they give to everyone. Come my 6th month into the company it starts leveling out and rather than promote people from the call center, other departments hire from outside the company/through referrals because they believe we aren't "seasoned enough" to get promoted. On my 8th month they freeze hiring to become "more efficient" so now I'm officially stuck in the position I should've left 2 months ago. Not only that but departments have started "trimming the fat" of less efficient workers (which I believe I am a part of, but mostly because I've lost the motivation to work since it's obviously getting me nowhere). I've been a top producer for the class that I started with and made a good chunk of change but they can definitely see that my drive is starting to slow down.

Basically not sure if I should put in my notice and quit (and spend months and months looking for a new job) or keep working there until I get terminated.

It's my first "real people" job after working at a pizza place for 4 years while I finished my schooling. So essentially my only experience is in customer service (which I hate with a passion).

Like AlexTabaccy said, start applying right now. If you get a job then you can quit. If you get fired, you're already on the job market and you can just ramp up your search.

Acervus
Aug 7, 2007

Namaste
Just finished my training doing purchase reviews for my company. I was really excited until I realized how completely moronic people are when they don't get instant gratification.

Jerk: "WHADDYA MEAN YOU GOTTA CALL ME TO VERIFY MY PURCHASE? SCREW THAT I DIDN'T AUTHORIZE A PHONE CALL HOW DID YOU GET THIS NUMBER?!"

Me: "Well sir, it's for your security so that someone doesn't try to use your billing information to buy something without your consent. Some of the information was flagged in our system so I wanted to call up and make sure you were the one who made this purchase."

Jerk: "I WANT A SUPERVISOR AND I WANT YOU TO GET ME TO THEM NOW"

Supervisor said the exact same thing (thanks scripts) and got his info without a fight.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
In my experience people will yell for a supervisor simply because they think a supervisor is going to do something different/better.

A lot of time s they do just to shut the customer up.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I will tell people that the supervisor will tell them the same thing, especially when it comes to legally contractually bound stuff.

Then again, I've said that, they still insist on getting the supervisor, then the supervisor makes a retarded accommodation for something clearly the customer's fault, so I dunno.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~

Loving Life Partner posted:

I will tell people that the supervisor will tell them the same thing, especially when it comes to legally contractually bound stuff.

We're Not allowed to say that because it may "upset the customer". :(

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

I don't even argue anymore. Soon as someone says those magic words, I shut down any help I was trying to give them and pass them on - most of the time it's another colleague of mine who has a phone specifically for escalations, not an actual manager. But alright, you don't want my help, time for you to go away. :byewhore:

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~

Chicken Doodle posted:

I don't even argue anymore. Soon as someone says those magic words, I shut down any help I was trying to give them and pass them on - most of the time it's another colleague of mine who has a phone specifically for escalations, not an actual manager. But alright, you don't want my help, time for you to go away. :byewhore:

I love making my TL take sup calls. One, because it's a little bit of revenge against him for treating me so lovely previously and two, because I get to sit next to him and listen to him mock the customer on mute (or directly to their ears in a way most customers would be too stupid to realize they're being mocked). It's one of the few small joys left over at this poo poo show.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Acervus posted:

Just finished my training doing purchase reviews for my company. I was really excited until I realized how completely moronic people are when they don't get instant gratification.

Jerk: "WHADDYA MEAN YOU GOTTA CALL ME TO VERIFY MY PURCHASE? SCREW THAT I DIDN'T AUTHORIZE A PHONE CALL HOW DID YOU GET THIS NUMBER?!"

Me: "Well sir, it's for your security so that someone doesn't try to use your billing information to buy something without your consent. Some of the information was flagged in our system so I wanted to call up and make sure you were the one who made this purchase."

Jerk: "I WANT A SUPERVISOR AND I WANT YOU TO GET ME TO THEM NOW"

Supervisor said the exact same thing (thanks scripts) and got his info without a fight.

I work in retail rather than call center, but this has always been my experience. Nobody ever listened to me, but they went right along with it once the same exact thing came out of a manager's mouth. After a while I stopped trying to explain stuff more than once and just call the manager as soon as it looks like there's going to be some kind of argument.

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Long ago when I worked at a call center, other agents would sometimes be put in charge of accepting supervisor calls, which could never be declined. So yeah. Even if the "supervisor" was just another perfectly capable agent, talking to someone who was supposedly in charge was enough for most customers.

If their account needed something a supe only had access to, they were always willing to make the change for the agents if we asked on hold or after the call.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I don't mind taking sup calls for my reps, just don't offer the sup right off the loving bat. That poo poo pisses me off, because where I am it's taking me away from another sup call for someone who's right up poo poo creek at that point.

I don't know about your places, but team leader isn't a loving picnic where I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Chicken Doodle posted:

I don't even argue anymore. Soon as someone says those magic words, I shut down any help I was trying to give them and pass them on - most of the time it's another colleague of mine who has a phone specifically for escalations, not an actual manager.

dustbin posted:

Long ago when I worked at a call center, other agents would sometimes be put in charge of accepting supervisor calls, which could never be declined. So yeah. Even if the "supervisor" was just another perfectly capable agent, talking to someone who was supposedly in charge was enough for most customers.
I always suspected this was the case. I remember some ten years or so ago I was having a horrible customer service experience with Dell and kept having to call their service line, which was staffed by people with what sounded like Pinoy accents. I would ask for a supervisor and get someone else with a Pinoy accent. Then on one particularly bad call, I asked for the supposed supervisor's manager, at which point I got an extremely accommodating gentleman with an American accent.

It was at that point I realized that asking for a manager/supervisor probably just jumps you over to a parallel agent. It makes sense.