Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
What's the dfference between jars and mason jars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Call Now posted:

What's the dfference between jars and mason jars?

A mason jar is a specific type of jar. It has a metal screw ring and a separate disc with rubber or wax to seal the jar.

Other types of jars exist, like jelly jars, candy jars, apothecary jars and those ones with the hinge thingy.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

syscall girl posted:

I've heard really good things about the USAA and I'm wondering if I qualify for an account.

Both of my granddads served and two uncles but my dad (thankfully) was a little to young to get recruited into Vietnam.

As I understand it you can get a checking account pretty easily but not the insurance (which I don't want) but I was curious if anyone had a line on how, if at all, it works for civilians.

I can't stand BoA, Wells Fargo, &c so I'll either be making a new account with USAA or one of a few local credit unions.

Sorry if this is not a stupid/small question, I'll probably just end up calling them up in the morning but any advice would be appreciated.

I use them for insurance and credit cards (my dad is a vet) and I have no complaints. If you're looking for an alternative to the big banks, you might also look into credit unions. I use a credit union for my check depositing (since my main banks are online), and they are frequently lauded for a lot of the same customer service benefits USAA is.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

FogHelmut posted:

Do chatrooms still exist? Like late 90's AOL? I know there's IRC, but I mean in the sense that it's more of a generic internet population, while IRC attracts a particular tech-savvy crowd.

Anecdotally I know lots of people that use skype group chats.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Is it possible to rent a car in America without having car insurance?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

tarepanda posted:

Yes. Credit cards may provide this. Otherwise you buy it from the agency.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Grimey Drawer

tarepanda posted:

If you mean "will they let you rent a car without insurance at all," the answer is "it depends." Some states allow you to maintain a (rather sizable) bond instead of having actual insurance. But generally, you need some proven way of paying people if you get in an accident in order to rent a car.

If you mean "I do not have insurance, and wish to rent a car," then yes, it's actually quite easy; every car rental place (that I've ever heard of, anyway) will simply charge you an additional fee in order to use their insurance. Additionally, as was said above, your credit card may cover it.

Keep in mind that many rental agencies won't rent to you if you're under 25.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Thanatosian posted:

If you mean "I do not have insurance, and wish to rent a car," then yes, it's actually quite easy; every car rental place (that I've ever heard of, anyway) will simply charge you an additional fee in order to use their insurance. Additionally, as was said above, your credit card may cover it.

What kind of fee are we talking about here?

I'm 28 and an ex-pat, so I don't have a car or insurance, but I'd like to rent one in a few weeks when I go back.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Grimey Drawer

tarepanda posted:

I'm 28 and an ex-pat, so I don't have a car or insurance, but I'd like to rent one in a few weeks when I go back.
The kind of fee that--much like the price of rental cars--probably varies quite a bit from agency to agency.

I'd hit up three or four different car rental companies (preferably at the airport where you're landing), figure out which one is offering you the best deal.

Do you still have an American credit card? Check the terms (or just call them). They probably provide coverage, provided you don't get the additional coverage from the agency (and assuming it is not a moving truck, but just a car for getting around).

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Nicccceeee.

Seriously though, make sure to get the whole staff on board, it's easy to just fire one person who starts making noise. Yes, I realize you could obviously sue for that but it puts you out a job in the meantime.

I already have a few riled up about it, seeds of doubt and all that. Only 8 employees in the bar, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Can't sue if I get poo poo-canned though. I live in a "right to work" state. So they can fire me for literally no reason with no repercussions.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well for one thing they can't fire you for being a whistleblower, right to work state or not.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Floppychop posted:

I already have a few riled up about it, seeds of doubt and all that. Only 8 employees in the bar, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Can't sue if I get poo poo-canned though. I live in a "right to work" state. So they can fire me for literally no reason with no repercussions.

Yeah. I mean, it's illegal to fire someone in retaliation, but realistically they'd fire you for something like "poor attitude" and I guess you could hire a lawyer and take them to court, but that costs money.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

tarepanda posted:

For most full-size cars, it is between $10-20 per day.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
One more question: If I want to rent a specific kind of car (a Subaru Forester would be nice), is that possible at all?

I'm looking in the Harrisburg-Chambersburg area, if that helps at all. It probably doesn't since there's nothing there.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

tarepanda posted:

One more question: If I want to rent a specific kind of car (a Subaru Forester would be nice), is that possible at all?

I'm looking in the Harrisburg-Chambersburg area, if that helps at all. It probably doesn't since there's nothing there.
Probably not. You can call the different car renal agencies and ask what they have, but I've never seen a Subaru anything at any US place.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Well for one thing they can't fire you for being a whistleblower, right to work state or not.

Yeah but good luck proving that's why you got fired.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

On the topic of rental cars, be advised that at most places you need a credit card -- for some reason a debit card will NOT work for this, no matter how much money is in the account. (I learned this one the hard way.)

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Do people who are allergic to bee stings generally have allergic reactions to other insect stings as well?

Floppychop posted:

I live in a "right to work" state. So they can fire me for literally no reason with no repercussions.

Right-to-work is a union thing and has nothing to do with this. What you're describing is at-will employment.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Gravity Pike posted:

Yeah. I mean, it's illegal to fire someone in retaliation, but realistically they'd fire you for something like "poor attitude" and I guess you could hire a lawyer and take them to court, but that costs money.

This is what I was getting at. I'm sure he values his job more than a potential lawsuit payout 5 years from now. You're essentially organizing the staff into a union and collective bargaining them into paying when you're on the clock. The entire staff has to say, as a whole "this is an illegal practice and NONE of us are willing to work like this." Then she either has to fire the entire staff or cave. Having the entire staff involved sways the power in your favor. It's easy to replace one person, hard to replace 8, especially if no one is around to train new staff.

Transcendent Man
Dec 23, 2012

"Death gives meaning to our lives. It gives importance and value to time. Time would be meaningless if there were too much of it." - Ray Kurzweil

FogHelmut posted:

Do chatrooms still exist? Like late 90's AOL? I know there's IRC, but I mean in the sense that it's more of a generic internet population, while IRC attracts a particular tech-savvy crowd.

ICQ and Omegle are the only ones that come to mind.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
People still use ICQ?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Powered Descent posted:

On the topic of rental cars, be advised that at most places you need a credit card -- for some reason a debit card will NOT work for this, no matter how much money is in the account. (I learned this one the hard way.)

I wouldn't say "most" but it's very dependent on specifics of the company policy. Definitely a "call ahead and get the specifics" type of thing.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I never bothered to get an actual credit card until I was 33, I'd rented cars fine on a debit card, it does put a large hold/pre-approval on the card though.

I'd always thought the insurance the rental place sells is just comp/coll, liability goes off of your own ins? (My visa credit card now covers what rental place sells at no charge)

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

Can someone just reassure me that I don't have rice stuck in my wisdom tooth socket? I had them all extracted five days ago, so I am pretty sure it is impossible to lose a grain of rice back there but I am also super squeamish about it. :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Here's a stupid one. I need to see my primary care doctor about something*, but getting an appointment within the next couple days is proving difficult. My insurance makes using a different primary care/family physician office a pain in the rear end, so I can't really change doctors quickly to one who's more open, either. (At least, not while having coverage for said visit.) So I figure tomorrow I'll find a nearby walk-in clinic and ask them to take a look. Is there anything I should know about finding/picking one, like insurance issues, quality, cost, anything like that?

* if anyone cares, it's a rash on my wrist. Kinda looks like it might be scabies but ~internet diagnosis~ and all. Itches like a bastard.

helium muppet
Jun 17, 2003

Once again, Alex gets the jitters.
What is the movie I'm thinking of? It's at least pre-2002. I don't remember much other than this: There is a woman living in an apartment. In the unit below her lives a man that spies on her and has a diagram he drew on his ceiling of the layout of all her furniture.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

john mayer posted:

Can someone just reassure me that I don't have rice stuck in my wisdom tooth socket? I had them all extracted five days ago, so I am pretty sure it is impossible to lose a grain of rice back there but I am also super squeamish about it. :(

Didn't they tell you to rinse with salt water? Do that a lot and if there's anything back there it should pop out eventually.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Wagonburner posted:

I never bothered to get an actual credit card until I was 33, I'd rented cars fine on a debit card, it does put a large hold/pre-approval on the card though.

I'd always thought the insurance the rental place sells is just comp/coll, liability goes off of your own ins? (My visa credit card now covers what rental place sells at no charge)

You can buy a number of different forms of insurance when renting a car, including liability insurance. I know there's Hertz at Harrisburg airport; here's the summary of their liability product.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

john mayer posted:

It's just the healing process. To your tongue everything feels huge and foreign after extraction.

It's probably a little flap of healing gum that will drive you insane if you let it.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

tarepanda posted:

People still use ICQ?
Mostly Russians. In 2008 there were 32 million active users, of which 11 million were in Russia, 9 million in Germany, and 1.2 million in the Czech Republic.

Edit: ICQ is also the instant messenger of choice of online criminals.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 30, 2013

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Hey does anyone know what the brown cut-looking things on cherries are?

I've got a picture from my lovely phone camera, it's not great but you can kinda see it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Battlescars.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

muike posted:

Battlescars.

:black101:

Damage yes. They're safe to eat still.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

ChairMaster posted:

Hey does anyone know what the brown cut-looking things on cherries are?

I've got a picture from my lovely phone camera, it's not great but you can kinda see it.

Here you go:
https://www.google.com/search?source=ig&rlz=&q=cherry+rain+split

Basically, cherries split like that if it rains at the wrong time before harvest or if they weren't picked when ripe or if the cherry wears tight pants and ate too many cheeseburgers or the cherry is a depressed teenage girl who just cant take it any more.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ah thanks, that makes sense. I always knew they were fine to eat but I never had a clue where they came from and whenever I googled something like "what's the deal with the brown things on cherries" it gave me results about brown rot on cherry tree leaves or something.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

ChairMaster posted:

Ah thanks, that makes sense. I always knew they were fine to eat but I never had a clue where they came from and whenever I googled something like "what's the deal with the brown things on cherries" it gave me results about brown rot on cherry tree leaves or something.

It's not your fault. You have to use bing.com for searches composed in Seinfeldian.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Noni posted:

It's not your fault. You have to use bing.com for searches composed in Seinfeldian.

Color me surprised. I thought you were going for the cherry pun.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

FCKGW posted:

A mason jar is a specific type of jar. It has a metal screw ring and a separate disc with rubber or wax to seal the jar.

Other types of jars exist, like jelly jars, candy jars, apothecary jars and those ones with the hinge thingy.

To clarify a bit, mason jars, candy jars, etc, are used for home canning.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is there a general camping thread? I did a search and only found something about motorcycle camping in AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Here's a stupid one. I need to see my primary care doctor about something*, but getting an appointment within the next couple days is proving difficult. My insurance makes using a different primary care/family physician office a pain in the rear end, so I can't really change doctors quickly to one who's more open, either. (At least, not while having coverage for said visit.) So I figure tomorrow I'll find a nearby walk-in clinic and ask them to take a look. Is there anything I should know about finding/picking one, like insurance issues, quality, cost, anything like that?

* if anyone cares, it's a rash on my wrist. Kinda looks like it might be scabies but ~internet diagnosis~ and all. Itches like a bastard.
Do you wear a bracelet or watch on that wrist? Could easily be an allergy top the metal. It's actually pretty common.

In my experience, one urgent care clinic is generally as good as another.