Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Oculus Rift seems to be doing well. No consumer product yet but it's a company that got funds from Kickstarter that's actually doing something productive with the money. Pity that those kinds of kickstarters are literally one in a million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I think the Pebble is the only really successful example of a Kickstarter. Although, the finished product was kind of a useless gimmick, but that was the idea going into it. I'm glad that I sold mine for double what I paid for it.

reaper was also successful if you are basing it off percentage over the pledge goal not total dollars raised
11500% over the goal compared to pebble's 10000%

Reaper asked for 30k and got 3.4 mil
Pebble asked for 100k and got 10 mil

For such a niche product, i think reaper was wildly successful

Fauxtool has a new favorite as of 19:13 on Jul 29, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Crain posted:

It really does. The fast and loose approach that kickstarter takes has really damaged the idea of crowd-funding. Very few projects seem to come to fruition. Even major projects backed by industry giants like double-fine are stalling, going over budget, or (in the case of the "Doom that came..." board game) complete mismanagement of the whole project leaving thousands of backers out in the cold.

This is aside from all of the blatant scams, scummy projects (reddit PUA guide/send my daughter to RPG camp), and the untold thousands of terrible projects by teenagers trying to get money for what amounts to sketch ideas.

Well no poo poo, sherlock. If funding things was a guaranteed thing, then sites like kickstarter wouldn't need to exist in the first place - it'd all be no risk, investors would have no problem fronting the money.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Install Gentoo posted:

Well no poo poo, sherlock. If funding things was a guaranteed thing, then sites like kickstarter wouldn't need to exist in the first place - it'd all be no risk, investors would have no problem fronting the money.

Not my point jackass. There is a difference between the standard risk in investing in a product and throwing out any random idea someone has without any review. There will always be risk when it comes to start ups or unique projects, good job recognizing that, you're clearly smarter than the average kickstarter, but that's not to say that kickstarter is doing crowdfunding well.

They've given it a bad name, and have left a sour taste in a lot of peoples mouths by connecting a lot people who shouldn't have access to funds with people who have more money than sense.

They should be focusing on vetting projects so that the vast majority reach successful funding, and successfully deliver on their promises. Instead they are just throwing every drat thing out there in order to get as many cuts of the funding as possible without thinking about the fact that when less than half the funded projects fail to deliver or fail to deliver what was promised that it will turn people off of the business model.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Fauxtool posted:

reaper was also successful if you are basing it off percentage over the pledge goal not total dollars raised

I've never heard of Reaper before, so I looked it up. Holy crap.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Crain posted:

Not my point jackass. There is a difference between the standard risk in investing in a product and throwing out any random idea someone has without any review. There will always be risk when it comes to start ups or unique projects, good job recognizing that, you're clearly smarter than the average kickstarter, but that's not to say that kickstarter is doing crowdfunding well.

They've given it a bad name, and have left a sour taste in a lot of peoples mouths by connecting a lot people who shouldn't have access to funds with people who have more money than sense.

They should be focusing on vetting projects so that the vast majority reach successful funding, and successfully deliver on their promises. Instead they are just throwing every drat thing out there in order to get as many cuts of the funding as possible without thinking about the fact that when less than half the funded projects fail to deliver or fail to deliver what was promised that it will turn people off of the business model.

So what you're looking for is a place that will guarantee delivery of your product? Man have I got the place for you. It's called loving Amazon.

No "more reputable" site is coming because no one, besides you I guess, is looking for a site that makes it even harder to get a product up for possible funding. The only sites attempting to compete with Kickstarter are significantly less reputable, there's a reason for that. Everyone keeps saying that with failed projects people are going to lose faith, but there's basically no indication that Kickstarter is losing steam. My hope is that things like Kickstarter will make people look a bit harder at who's behind the things they buy, rather than hoping that some monolithic organization comes along to police what we can put our money into better. Those kinds of organizations already exist and the entire purpose of Kickstarter is to remove them, you get that right?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

HiggsBoson81 posted:

So what you're looking for is a place that will guarantee delivery of your product? Man have I got the place for you. It's called loving Amazon.

No "more reputable" site is coming because no one, besides you I guess, is looking for a site that makes it even harder to get a product up for possible funding. The only sites attempting to compete with Kickstarter are significantly less reputable, there's a reason for that. Everyone keeps saying that with failed projects people are going to lose faith, but there's basically no indication that Kickstarter is losing steam. My hope is that things like Kickstarter will make people look a bit harder at who's behind the things they buy, rather than hoping that some monolithic organization comes along to police what we can put our money into better. Those kinds of organizations already exist and the entire purpose of Kickstarter is to remove them, you get that right?

I don't even support things on kickstarter. I know it's a huge risk even for things backed by major studios (AND HOLY poo poo it looks like such a kickstarter is in trouble). I'm just saying that the complete lack of vetting done by the big names in crowdfunding does nothing but hurt their business model. I'm not saying that I want a site that guarantees delivery. That's just called loving shopping. All I'm saying is that they should cut out the projects that have absolutely 0% chance of success (Like loving Rapdawg over here), the outright scams, and the projects that go against their own TOS.

THAT'S NOT ASKING KICKSTARTER TO BECOME GODDAMNED AMAZON.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Crain posted:

Most business projects fail. Period. It's just how things work.

If Kickstarter was able to figure out which ones would actually work in the first place, then they'd be investing the money themselves for the guarenteed return, instead of just taking a cut off of everything.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

HiggsBoson81 posted:

See that's where your wrong. Kickstart's TUA mentions that there has to be a "deliverable" at the end of the project or a refund a required. Whether that is the stupid $5 thank you email or the full product, there is "something" that you should receive upon backing.

The paradox with Kickstarter is that the more it polices, the less money it makes. There's a reason why kickstarter let things like the PUA book or fund my feminism through... they get a cut of it and lets face it, the controversy got them on the news (there's no such thing as bad publicity) and they got paid handsomely for it as well. As long as Kickstarter's terms ("we take a 10% cut but all liabilities rest with the creator") aren't challenged, there's no reason that Kickstarter shouldn't refuse any product that's not outright fraud.

You have the right to hope and kickstarter is more organized than stuff like indi-gogo's flexible funding scheme but you're deluded if you think that Kickstarter's anywhere near "good". It comes with the territory trying to centralize something inherently decentralized but I would be surprised people stay around after being burned from a project.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Install Gentoo posted:

Most business projects fail. Period. It's just how things work.

If Kickstarter was able to figure out which ones would actually work in the first place, then they'd be investing the money themselves for the guarenteed return, instead of just taking a cut off of everything.

The issue with that is that Kickstarter gives the impression in its TUA that you aren't investors but rather customers. A normal VC firm understands the risks that its taking when it funds a project but the payoff is usually debt + stock + maybe revenues. As a backer on kickstarter, you see no such return, in fact its insane that the best ending is you get the product you backed, that's a completely one-sided risk situation if I've ever seen one.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

OrganizedInsanity posted:

The issue with that is that Kickstarter gives the impression in its TUA that you aren't investors but rather customers. A normal VC firm understands the risks that its taking when it funds a project but the payoff is usually debt + stock + maybe revenues. As a backer on kickstarter, you see no such return, in fact its insane that the best ending is you get the product you backed, that's a completely one-sided risk situation if I've ever seen one.

Well yeah that's kind of the whole point of it, you are a customer making very small payments (comparably) to what a full on investor who's going to get a piece of the action would have gotten. Although there's not exactly anything stopping a Kickstarter project from willingly deciding to give everyone backing a share in the result.

Not to forget, tons of people make pledges to kickstarter at levels too low to even get anything back at all.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I think the Pebble is the only really successful example of a Kickstarter. Although, the finished product was kind of a useless gimmick, but that was the idea going into it. I'm glad that I sold mine for double what I paid for it.

Well there is Boss Monster, FTL, Shadowrun Returns, Race the Sun, and Defense Grid 2 from the short list of things I have backed. They have all delivered on their promises and I personally was very satisfied with the end results. In some cases, Boss Monster and FTL, they far exceeded my expectations. I did not include several other projects who's delivery appears to be imminent.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Bruxism posted:

Well there is Boss Monster, FTL, Shadowrun Returns, Race the Sun, and Defense Grid 2 from the short list of things I have backed. They have all delivered on their promises and I personally was very satisfied with the end results. In some cases, Boss Monster and FTL, they far exceeded my expectations. I did not include several other projects who's delivery appears to be imminent.

I was just playing my Kickstarter Edition of Boss Monster this weekend. It's loving great.
I've gotten quite a few limited run kickstarter models and stuff too. It's been good to me.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bruxism posted:

Software is much easier to release and distribute than a physical item. You can release a 75% done game and say good enough. Look what happened when the ouya tried that.

You can't have too many orders with a digital release, but a physical item can be too popular and leave the makers unable to scale up that much

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Bruxism posted:

There're tons of successful Kickstarters, the Reaper one mentioned above has almost completely delivered. (I think EU is missing I'm not sure, I have all my stuff.) Zombicide from CMON made nearly a million and has delivered on Season 1 and funded Season 2 which should be delivered soon as well, and that made over 2 million. I've backed 18 projects on Kickstarter for a total of a couple thousand dollars and haven't had any fail to deliver so far, some of them aren't done delivering yet but I don't think any of them will fail. The total funding for those projects is in the tens of millions. I'd say the riskiest ones to fund are Video Games from pretty much anyone followed by over funded board games by first time companies.

I don't get it, does it bother you that people risk their money by the tens of dollars at a time to see passion projects made? I'm glad that I can do it, though I do kind of split my Kickstarter funding between passion projects and things I know will get made that actually make me money. A lot of TG stuff can be sold on E-bay at a profit and I'm up a fair amount on that. Kickstarter does sort of straddle the line between established entities getting funding to make things with very little chance of failure, and pie-in-the-sky dudes getting money to make things with no idea how to actually manage whatever they're doing.

I'm not sure what Kickstarter could do to separate those categories, and as mentioned if they could do it 100% perfectly they'd just run a VC firm and make far more than they currently are. I prefer a situation where you have to make that distinction yourself, and I don't think a site that tries to make it for you will be as successful as Kickstarter.

I'm also curious what you see as a high profile failure? I've backed a lot of high profile TG projects and had none fail. There're some failures of course but none of the really major projects have had any issues, mostly people mad about mishandling and the like. Other than a recent boardgame where a Scam artist apparently ran the kickstarter for 2 well known designers and absconded with the money. But that wasn't really high profile to me as its total funding was pretty small.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

HiggsBoson81 posted:

There're tons of successful Kickstarters, the Reaper one mentioned above has almost completely delivered. (I think EU is missing I'm not sure, I have all my stuff.) Zombicide from CMON made nearly a million and has delivered on Season 1 and funded Season 2 which should be delivered soon as well, and that made over 2 million. I've backed 18 projects on Kickstarter for a total of a couple thousand dollars and haven't had any fail to deliver so far, some of them aren't done delivering yet but I don't think any of them will fail. The total funding for those projects is in the tens of millions. I'd say the riskiest ones to fund are Video Games from pretty much anyone followed by over funded board games by first time companies.

I don't get it, does it bother you that people risk their money by the tens of dollars at a time to see passion projects made? I'm glad that I can do it, though I do kind of split my Kickstarter funding between passion projects and things I know will get made that actually make me money. A lot of TG stuff can be sold on E-bay at a profit and I'm up a fair amount on that. Kickstarter does sort of straddle the line between established entities getting funding to make things with very little chance of failure, and pie-in-the-sky dudes getting money to make things with no idea how to actually manage whatever they're doing.

I'm not sure what Kickstarter could do to separate those categories, and as mentioned if they could do it 100% perfectly they'd just run a VC firm and make far more than they currently are. I prefer a situation where you have to make that distinction yourself, and I don't think a site that tries to make it for you will be as successful as Kickstarter.

I'm also curious what you see as a high profile failure? I've backed a lot of high profile TG projects and had none fail. There're some failures of course but none of the really major projects have had any issues, mostly people mad about mishandling and the like. Other than a recent boardgame where a Scam artist apparently ran the kickstarter for 2 well known designers and absconded with the money. But that wasn't really high profile to me as its total funding was pretty small.

I have no issue with it but it annoys me when people keep going on about how we shouldn't expect a product from them because that's not what Kickstarter is about. If you provide money for a certain reward tier and do not receive, you are entitled a refund of your funding amount as per kickstarter terms. It irks me when people don't try or get scolded for demanding it because it goes against the "spirit" of kickstarter.

Did I say something about the high failure rate? If so, I'm exaggerating as I don't see that many kickstarters that didn't look like scams turn out to be scams. The point I was trying to make was that you can't equate yourself to a VC investor because the best possible result of your money is getting what was promised to you. If you're going into a project expecting a subpar or compromised product at the end as a lot of people suggest when a kickstarter turns south (shadowrun returns, ouya etc) is disingenuous because of that.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Bruxism posted:

There was a Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter I missed? drat. I really enjoyed the first one and talked to the developers when it came out about the game mechanics. Even did a few minor write up/FAQs for it.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

I have no issue with it but it annoys me when people keep going on about how we shouldn't expect a product from them because that's not what Kickstarter is about. If you provide money for a certain reward tier and do not receive, you are entitled a refund of your funding amount as per kickstarter terms. It irks me when people don't try or get scolded for demanding it because it goes against the "spirit" of kickstarter.

Did I say something about the high failure rate? If so, I'm exaggerating as I don't see that many kickstarters that didn't look like scams turn out to be scams. The point I was trying to make was that you can't equate yourself to a VC investor because the best possible result of your money is getting what was promised to you. If you're going into a project expecting a subpar or compromised product at the end as a lot of people suggest when a kickstarter turns south (shadowrun returns, ouya etc) is disingenuous because of that.

Sorry probably mixing up posters a bit in terms of people complaining about no successful Kickstarters. If the Kickstarter fails to deliver the people involved should attempt to sue for a refund. That's a thing they can do by Kickstarter's TUA. I don't think it goes against the spirit of Kickstarter at all to expect people to deliver something. I think getting up in arms because someone delivered non-perfect software is a little silly, but that's probably because I develop software and have a lot of empathy for how hard it is to do on a budget. Also why I don't give much money to video game/software related projects because I don't have a lot of faith in them. I'll pre-order at the minimum level for things I really want to see made, but that's about it and I keep my expectations really low.

I backed and really enjoyed Shadowrun Returns, as an example, as I didn't expect it to be a triple A title. It wasn't, but it was highly atmospheric with tons of fun little references. There's also still another expansion campaign to come and I didn't realize people considered it a failure.

I have no sympathy for Ouya backers, that project was dumb.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fauxtool posted:

Well, if we're going by that standard, the Penny Arcade Podcast has them all beat, having raised 2,303,600% of its original goal.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Fauxtool posted:

Software is much easier to release and distribute than a physical item. You can release a 75% done game and say good enough. Look what happened when the ouya tried that.

You can't have too many orders with a digital release, but a physical item can be too popular and leave the makers unable to scale up that much

Boss Monster is a physical product that ended up tacking on a bunch of additional physical items thanks to stretch goals. I was afraid they were promising too much, but once my game arrived in the mail I was pleasantly surprised to find it overflowing with all the promised items produced in good quality. I do get your point about physical items being more difficult to follow through, but I disagree with the general idea (not saying this is your idea) that Kickstarter is doing a poor job of facilitating crowd sourcing. My point is that if you are a discriminating backer it is actually an effective service.

thiswayliesmadness posted:

There was a Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter I missed? drat. I really enjoyed the first one and talked to the developers when it came out about the game mechanics. Even did a few minor write up/FAQs for it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hiddenpath/defense-grid-2

It was a bit of a scam actually. Though the title says DG2, it was in fact seeking to fund another expansion pack for the original DG. They did sort of wrap it in this idea that a successful KS campaign for the expansion would show interest for an ACTUAL DG2. In their defense they DID release the expansion and have begun working on DG2. They have promised that all the backers from the KS will get a copy of DG2 for free...

Here is their explanation of it:

http://www.hiddenpath.com/games/defense-grid-2/

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bruxism posted:

Boss Monster is a physical product that ended up tacking on a bunch of additional physical items thanks to stretch goals. I was afraid they were promising too much, but once my game arrived in the mail I was pleasantly surprised to find it overflowing with all the promised items produced in good quality.

There wasn't all that much extra. Foiled versions of the monster cards, a six-card bonus pack, four shiny metal Level Up counters and a sleeve for the box that spoofs the golden Legend of Zelda box.

A poster child for successful Kickstarters is Mantic Games. They were a tiny company with three staff making miniature gaming rules until their first Kickstarter, which made $500k. Their second made $730k, their third broke the $1 million mark, and two years on they're starting to rival Games Workshop. Deadzone hasn't hit the streets yet, but Dreadball has multiplied its original backers several times over since going retail.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

SJG's Ogre Kickstarter nearly got swamped by all the additional stuff they kept throwing up as stretch goals, and they're an actual, established game manufacturer. In the end, it basically doubled the time to market, but the final product is large and heavy enough to crush some economy cars.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

...of SCIENCE! posted:

As evil as this is, what's even worse is that actual professional film studios are doing this exact same drat thing and almost nobody cares aside from the actual VFX artists.

Unfortunately if I want my art degree to work in games or art related stuff I have to do at least 400 hours at an internship (I'd say 90% of them are unpaid). Schools get in on this poo poo to make sure that they're ruining the industry for you before you even get into it. That's why all these dudes probably think artists don't need to be paid to "just draw" and places like Rhythm and Hues are bankrupt while the movie they worked won an Oscar and made over 600 million worldwide.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

Bruxism posted:

I backed "Limeade" which is an iPhone/Pad battery pack (which I got and it is so awesome my daughter stole it...), have seen photo's of the Moby Dick card game that is shipping soon, and the "Napoleon" wargame (actual, not computer) which I also got. There's some flaky computer game that I kind of regretted backing (Pixel Press?) that still updates but honestly I don't really want it anymore..., and the Small World 2 iPad game that I supported because I wanted it and is being created by people who have already created stuff, so it kind of just serves as a pre-order discount.

So yeah, just be careful and if something looks flaky, don't support it. You can always wait to see if it actually happens and pay 10% more as a "regular" customer.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I like how the guys at Brutal Carnage are so deliberate about being jerks.
They deserve at least some of the mockery that went to the handicaped Lore dude from Christmas. So much fresh harassment could have been put to better use :colbert:

Look at them listening to feedback

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

unpacked robinhood posted:

I like how the guys at Brutal Carnage are so deliberate about being jerks.
They deserve at least some of the mockery that went to the handicaped Lore dude from Christmas. So much fresh harassment could have been put to better use :colbert:

Look at them listening to feedback

Are these guys Eastern European immigrants or something? The only people that speak in such stilted dialogue I know come from Russia or Ukraine.

In other news Nostalgia Critic wants more money! For the low low price of $6,500 you too can have a bit part in a NC review.
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/channel-awesome-s-new-shows-and-more

But at least he knows what the fans want?

quote:

Anyway, our first major show will be a Pop Culture Challenge. It will be funded by this campaign. And hosting will be put in the capable hands of Brad "The Cinema Snob" Jones -- a man who oozes charisma with the frequency of a derelict oil tanker. Initially, it will be a weekly game show revolving around questions from the 80s to the early 2000s. It's tailor made for the Nostalgia Critic crowd and Gen Xers, Ys, Millennials, and all those other groups advertising execs like to create buzzwords for. So, are you nostalgic for your childhood? Remember what you were watching in high school and college? The movies, the music, the sports, the events, the video games -- everything will be on the table! After we get a few episodes under our belt we plan to start implementing physical challenges into the mix. But of course, this costs money. Brad's Cheshire Cat smile alone requires 24 hour maintenance by an army of orthodontists working out of a mobile command center. At least, that's what he claims. We told him to just use a whitening toothpaste like the rest of us. So, thankfully, donations will be better used on actual resources apart from his teeth.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

In other news Nostalgia Critic wants more money! For the low low price of $6,500 you too can have a bit part in a NC review.
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/channel-awesome-s-new-shows-and-more

But at least he knows what the fans want?
You know I actually unironically like a lot of Nostalgia Critic's stuff but holy poo poo does that look awful and unfunny. Plus flexible funding? Ugh.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
If only dogs could talk so they could share their opinion on this man's attempt at building a social network for dogs. I'm pretty sure the general consensus would be "I'm a dog and have no use for your silly technology. Also, feed me treats". The ability to share medical data between veterinarians sounds useful, but despite being the most practical thing on the list it's mentioned last. I'm not a dog owner so I have no idea how common it is, but do people really set up play dates for their dogs? And if so, do they really need a specialized social network for it?

The project lead isn't afraid to speculate about the future of WoofLinks. He foresees a future where your dog can become a 'data collection platform', and wants to integrate a tiny camera into the collar so you can track your dog's day to day activity. Finally, an accurate method to keep track of how many times a day your dog licks its balls.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Zybourne Clock posted:

If only dogs could talk so they could share their opinion on this man's attempt at building a social network for dogs. I'm pretty sure the general consensus would be "I'm a dog and have no use for your silly technology. Also, feed me treats". The ability to share medical data between veterinarians sounds useful, but despite being the most practical thing on the list it's mentioned last. I'm not a dog owner so I have no idea how common it is, but do people really set up play dates for their dogs? And if so, do they really need a specialized social network for it?

The project lead isn't afraid to speculate about the future of WoofLinks. He foresees a future where your dog can become a 'data collection platform', and wants to integrate a tiny camera into the collar so you can track your dog's day to day activity. Finally, an accurate method to keep track of how many times a day your dog licks its balls.

I totally called this in the Next Big Thing thread. :smugdog:

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
It's already been done.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Those brutal carnage guys are busily tweeting game publications in some attempt to get PR, but there's no way that'd work.
Their comment about that Exoscoriae guy got removed from the kickstarter page, the only anything left of it is my censored version post pretty much.

In other news, we now have a project combining zombies with yet another thing because pop culture takes a long time to let go of things I guess.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Noyemi K posted:

Those brutal carnage guys are busily tweeting game publications in some attempt to get PR, but there's no way that'd work.
Their comment about that Exoscoriae guy got removed from the kickstarter page, the only anything left of it is my censored version post pretty much.

In other news, we now have a project combining zombies with yet another thing because pop culture takes a long time to let go of things I guess.

Can someone explain the zombie thing to me? It was interesting when used as a way to dissect man's cooperation with each other but now its literally an interchangeable thing with aliens/monsters/etc. Is it because its the most "realistic" possible outbreak?

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Can someone explain the zombie thing to me? It was interesting when used as a way to dissect man's cooperation with each other but now its literally an interchangeable thing with aliens/monsters/etc. Is it because its the most "realistic" possible outbreak?

Wth games it's because programming zombie AI is easy.

Crashbee has a new favorite as of 14:38 on Aug 1, 2013

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)

Guilt-free mass homicide scenario. Before, it was slavering inhuman WWII Germans in uniform.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

People who actually think a zombie apocalypse would be awesome are people who think they are better than everyone else and have nothing to lose. The popculture thing is because people are dull and lazy, though zombie films can be good because they break conventional horror tropes.

Max Brooks, who released the Zombie survival guide early on and kind of prior to the craze, gave a great panel I got to attend where he talked a lot about this and even how over-saturation would mess things up. Got to talk to him at a signing for a good five or ten minutes with my Dad, he was a really nice and quick witted guy. Sharp. Definitely got his father's timing and picked up how to think fast from Mel's schtick.

Misplaced Yankee
Jan 29, 2009
Anyone else kinda sad to see the robot spider kick starter probably going to fail? At 12 days and under 100k I don't think I'm going to be struggling with a robot kit any time soon.:saddowns:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think the problem is that you can already buy the robot in stores, Everyone who wants one can simply buy it with no hassle, and there doesn't seem to be that much cuztomisation to appeal to the kind of people who like that sort of thing. I am not sure whether there is a difference in price..

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
The one in stores is a different model, and it's a fair bit more expensive. These kits are great value but yeah, a lot of the target audience already have one and it's hard to justify another, even at a great price.

Shame, I really wanted a kit one to throw Arduinos and lasers and poo poo in.

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.

Noyemi K posted:

I really tried to hear him, but that split-effect is way too goddamn annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
I really dislike the Erik Chevalier guy (Doom that came to atlantic city). He is starting to do refunds but in the comments section he blames backers for getting the press involved.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/forkingpath/the-doom-that-came-to-atlantic-city/posts/555128#comments