Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Aw yeah now we're talkin! :dance:

Spikey posted:

Oh my god! He krilled her!

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
That was a....surprise. Giant etheric shrimp ghost demon. Okay. So much for the Coyote theory.

I just keep thinking, particularly since this chapter has hit on Rey's relationship with Annie and the rules of ownership, what if Rey's body was damaged? If it was damaged enough, would it be unable to sustain 'life' in the toy? It'd be interesting to see how the Court handles that type of situation: allow Reynard to enter a new body not under Annie's control, or let him die/keep him trapped in a non-functioning body, potentially pissing off the Forest but keeping Rey under the Court's thumb.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh yeah, claw shrimp. Live real deep. Big as a man.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

Phy posted:

Oh yeah, claw shrimp. Live real deep. Big as a man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpheidae

:colbert:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Haledjian posted:

What if Annie's toy is filled with Renard AND Hetty from now on.

How annoying would that be.

Well, this is another way that this chapter could change the status quo.
I mean exposition is nice and all, but we got like 3 pages worth of that, if Hetty is just killed, then this is simply filler. So yeah, Annie having control of two spirits due to her fox thingy would be pretty rad.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

This explains everything. Adam's sister was fatally allergic to seafood.

Battle Pigeon posted:

Can honestly say I didn't expect the shrimp reveal. I wonder how much of Hetty's personality was caused by being in the doll's body, and how much of it was already her own, considering Renard's "the mind is a plaything of the body" comment.

You know what, I don' think that's what that phrase means. I mean some people here interpret it as the spirit's personality somehow changing depending on the body it's currently inhabiting, but my interpretation was that bodily urges can affect the mind as much as the mind controls the body. This is a common concept in philosophy (aiming to control, or free the mind, from "carnal desires" like hunger or physical attraction and such) and I think it reflects on Renard's own justifications and regret for his past acts.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I was taking it to mean that the mind arises from the body (in the sense of emergent behaviour), rather than being something completely separate. In GC where there are spirits/souls and magic thrown into the mix it makes it a bit more complicated, but it seemed like he was saying the mind was affected by the body it's emergent from. Since the body from which his mind arises from changes, so does his mind, in whatever way. I've no idea how that would affect his spirit if at all though-maybe that contains his core personality and memories.

While I was googling for the page he says that to check the context, it led to TV Tropes (yeah, I know) where they claim about that line:

quote:

Word Of God says that he changes form based on how he's feeling. That is, Rey was being sarcastic.

Don't know if I buy that, though.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Destroying the vessel would kill the spirit within it, like how Renard was presumed dead when he missed Antimony, so Hettie is pretty limited by whats close enough to get into.

Maybe Renard is destroying the doll as a mercy for Hettie? With the doll destroyed she would no longer be bound by contract to Adam, so even if she did manage to get a new body she would have no reason to attack him anymore. In theory, although she is pretty nuts.

This chapter will end with Hettie possessing Boxbot, becoming murderously terrible.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I hope she possesses the soccer (?) ball.

Dyllyn
Mar 28, 2009

Greatness is always within Reach
One line from Gunnerkrigg court resounds very strongly with me. Renard has said "the mind is but a plaything of the body" and I think this has come up time and again whenever Renard acts differently depending on what shape he's in.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
What an interesting form to take, Coyote.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Only Rey holding a match would make a good avatar from this page :(

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

VanSandman posted:

I beg to differ.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

VanSandman posted:

Click your fingers applauding the play. :colbert:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

MikeJF posted:

He regrets his murder of an innocent. What he's doing here is meting out justice, and protecting one.

Reynardine has a conscience but he certainly isn't pure. He'll get his hands dirty. The animal world is a harsh place, after all.

He has definitely developed a personal moral code over the years, and that generally seems to cover 'harm no innocents', which he feels very strongly about, to the point of it weighing very heavily on his conscience.

He has absolutely no problems with a fair fight against a clear enemy, though. Granted, this is a bit of a sucker punch against Hetty, but she is pretty clearly insane and evil.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

Devil Ed posted:

I beg to differ.

I removed the speech bubble fragment, hope that's okay!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

I'm quite intrigued by the Demon Hell Shrimp, actually. I'm wondering if it's at all related to Lindsey and Bud.

Also;

Have you ever woken up
scratching yourself and
wondering why? That was me.
Putting glass fiber in your bed.
Sleep tight.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

The Red Queen posted:

I removed the speech bubble fragment, hope that's okay!

And the quote would be, "Now, you see my TRUE FORM!"

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

That wasn't what I was expecting at all. Roll on next update!

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
It's not Hettie's fault. All the mercury in the water drove her crazy!

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

VanSandman posted:

Here's my super-rough attempt at cleaning that up for avatar use:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I feel terrible for almost murdering that girl. Now, I'm going to almost murder you, instead!

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Oneiros posted:

Here's my super-rough attempt at cleaning that up for avatar use:

It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness

Or, you know, whatever other lame text you'd want to put below it. :colbert:

Also this is fulfilling all my dreams of Hetty suffering for being such an awful human being.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

BobTheJanitor posted:

It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness

Or, you know, whatever other lame text you'd want to put below it. :colbert:

Sick burn, Rey.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

OneTwentySix posted:

I feel terrible for almost murdering that girl. Now, I'm going to almost murder you, instead!

Yes, because both of those events are definitely the same! I mean, that kid Annie offed prior to meeting Rey really didn't deserved that. More seriously, what did you expect? Renard is still very much a Forest Dweller, deep down, and that implies a certain measure of lethalness in dealing with aggressors and foes.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Jenx posted:

Hattie's a shrimp. Okay, I can roll with that.

She's a Silverfish.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Nilbop posted:

She's a Silverfish.

...And thus the name of the chapter now makes sense.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

OneTwentySix posted:

A lot of people apprently didn't read the words in this chapter. Rey makes it abundantly clear that he regrets killing an innocent and defenseless man, and tortures himself over almost doing the same again with Annie. He makes a very specific exception for Sivo, who was an enemy that he fought and defeated. Hetty is an enemy, and one that - unless stopped - will kill a helpless child.

He tried to reason with her, and she only went more visibly Dark Side on us. He tried to talk her down. There's only so far words will take you against a crazy demon-doll.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I'm assuming that this is also how Renard always sees Hetty, since he can peek into the ether naturally. So while we saw a wolf/plush wander around with murderdoll, in the etherial realm it was always demonfox and murdershrimp walkin' around.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
Renard got his body possessing powers out of the bizarrely divine Coyote, but Hettie seems to be of the same psychic lobster species as... you know, those guys (forgot their names). They aren't body possessing, they're just real good at etheric stuff. This raises the possibility that Hettie's original shrimp body is still laying around somewhere and she was just stuck inside the doll because of contract! So with the doll destroyed she's just going back to her body and it's gonna be alright, isn't it? :ohdear:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nilbop posted:

She's a Silverfish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverfish

That thing? They don't look very similar to me.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Hettie defense force: What's one positive aspect of Hettie's character? Not in the storytelling sense, I mean as a person. What good does keeping her alive do beyond jeopardizing an innocent child.

Are you expecting Batman to swoop in, knock her out with a punch, and take her to Arkham Asylum or something?

This entire storyline all she's done is talk about killing people. For Gunnerkrigg, she's a one-dimensional character. There is no reason whatsoever to have sympathy for her and you'd have to be dumb or insane to have more sympathy for her than for Adam.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Hettie defense force: What's one positive aspect of Hettie's character? Not in the storytelling sense, I mean as a person. What good does keeping her alive do beyond jeopardizing an innocent child.

Are you expecting Batman to swoop in, knock her out with a punch, and take her to Arkham Asylum or something?

This entire storyline all she's done is talk about killing people. For Gunnerkrigg, she's a one-dimensional character. There is no reason whatsoever to have sympathy for her and you'd have to be dumb or insane to have more sympathy for her than for Adam.

You know as unrealistic as the concept of Batman and Arkham Asylum are, that doesn't automatically make the flipside of summarily executing the mentally ill the most real-world solution. And it might be that those people noting how quickly Reynard choose the fire based solution aren't upset that Hetty isn't going to murder an innocent child, but just remarking on how quickly Reynard skipped over the middle ground of calling the police. For me, and I assume for most others, it was more a commentary on Reynard's character and less a positive judgment of Hetty's actions.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
How do you call the police on a possessed doll when you're a possessed stuffed animal

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Officer! Officer! This possessed doll is going to torture a boy with some stuff I helped her steal.

I'm not saying this is The Only Solution but it's not like any of this is hugely out of character for ethereal non-court beings.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I lost the last of my sympathy for her when she turned into a prawn. Funny how it's hard to have sympathy for a psychopathic demon prawn.

Actually, it's kind of hard to have sympathy for prawns full stop. Unless they're these guys.

fake edit: I bet Hetty would taste delicious with a bit of lemon juice and maybe some garlic butter.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

cafel posted:

You know as unrealistic as the concept of Batman and Arkham Asylum are, that doesn't automatically make the flipside of summarily executing the mentally ill the most real-world solution. And it might be that those people noting how quickly Reynard choose the fire based solution aren't upset that Hetty isn't going to murder an innocent child, but just remarking on how quickly Reynard skipped over the middle ground of calling the police. For me, and I assume for most others, it was more a commentary on Reynard's character and less a positive judgment of Hetty's actions.

She's not "mentally ill," she's a loving evil spirit. Exorcising evil spirits is a done thing. And fire works pretty well as a method!

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Huntersoninski posted:

Officer! Officer! This possessed doll is going to torture a boy with some stuff I helped her steal.

I'm not saying this is The Only Solution but it's not like any of this is hugely out of character for ethereal non-court beings.

Not to mention the authorities in this case would be the Court and I doubt that Reynardine wants much to do with them at all, never mind handing them another body-possessing creature to imprison and study.

In related news, my copy of the latest book arrived today. It's gorgeous! :swoon:

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Dominic White posted:

A lot of people apprently didn't read the words in this chapter. Rey makes it abundantly clear that he regrets killing an innocent and defenseless man, and tortures himself over almost doing the same again with Annie. He makes a very specific exception for Sivo, who was an enemy that he fought and defeated. Hetty is an enemy, and one that - unless stopped - will kill a helpless child.

He tried to reason with her, and she only went more visibly Dark Side on us. He tried to talk her down. There's only so far words will take you against a crazy demon-doll.

I know this.

I still think it's funny if you go by the most literal interpretation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Yonic Symbolism posted:

How do you call the police on a possessed doll when you're a possessed stuffed animal

You go to the Court authorities who are aware of who you are and that you physically can't lie to your owner when she commands you to tell the truth. You let them know that a rouge forest spirit, something they already frown upon on principle, is actively planning to commit murder. They throw her in a warded cell of the same general type they imprisoned you. C'mon guys, this is not exactly a setting were the phrase 'possessed doll' is out of the ordinary.

I'm not trying to suggest that this is what should happen, or that it wouldn't have complications, or that it even makes Reynard "a bad person" that this wasn't what he did, but saying 'Come on guys, dousing her in lighter fluid and immolating her was the only rational choice!' is just not true. The only point is that he had other options and they didn't cross his mind. If destroying the shell doesn't harm the possessing spirit then it's a moot point, but if it does then it's worth noting that Reynard is so willing to kill as a first resort.

(And to forestall the 'she would kill Adam while he told someone' argument, it's been made quite clear that she's a bit constrained without Reynard assisting her. I doubt she'd suddenly manage to kill Adam in the hours at most that it would take Reynard to inform someone.)

Oxxidation posted:

She's not "mentally ill," she's a loving evil spirit. Exorcising evil spirits is a done thing. And fire works pretty well as a method!

I suppose it's up in the air unless Tom comes down definitively one way or the other, which is unlikely. However if spirits are more innately good or evil then why are mediums so necessary to manage spiritual matters? Problems would generally result from evil spirits which can apparently just be killed.