Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Admin Understudy posted:

Valve bags.

I've read a couple guides that tell me "uncovered" for up to 24 hours. I'm not familiar with the chemical reactions that take place after roasting, I just assumed it needed oxygen. Well more oxygen than a near empty bag contained. I will definitely try sealing it up right when it's cool next time and see if I've just been killing my coffee.

Chances are you have been. Tossing them in the bag and let the valve do the work is a good call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ok storage container talk since its already goin on.

What do you guys think of this:
BeanSafe "The Coffee Storage Solution", Polypropylene -MOCHA
http://amzn.com/B00A7E1BPC

It seems good but if the sweet Maria's are as good/better than ill just go with those.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

frenchnewwave posted:

Was thinking of buying some beans from Grumpy in NYC. Has anyone ever tried it?

Yeah! Get the Idido!

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Admin Understudy posted:

I've read a couple guides that tell me "uncovered" for up to 24 hours. I'm not familiar with the chemical reactions that take place after roasting, I just assumed it needed oxygen. Well more oxygen than a near empty bag contained. I will definitely try sealing it up right when it's cool next time and see if I've just been killing my coffee.
You're not killing yout coffee. It's degassing, and unless you've roated the oils to the surface they are not being degraded appreciably by the air. And if you're coffee is more than 4-5 days old, it's mute because it's "stale" at that point. Stale is the wrong word, it has lost most of the subtle variances that make a varietal unique, it can still taste good. Be happy, don't sperge over the trivial things like this, sperge over important things like brew temp and uniform particle size. :)

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

4-5 days old and stale is a bit exaggerated. You can go two weeks properly stored before it gets stale.

Degassing is actually necessary for good coffee. I let mine rest in the container with the top ajar for 24 hrs before sealing. It will still sometimes self pop open due to continued degassing even after 24 hrs.

I've heard the rule of 15. 15 minutes after ground coffee is stale. 15 days till roasted coffee is stale. 15 months for green coffee to go off.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

4-5 days old and stale is a bit exaggerated. You can go two weeks properly stored before it gets stale.

Degassing is actually necessary for good coffee. I let mine rest in the container with the top ajar for 24 hrs before sealing. It will still sometimes self pop open due to continued degassing even after 24 hrs.

I've heard the rule of 15. 15 minutes after ground coffee is stale. 15 days till roasted coffee is stale. 15 months for green coffee to go off.

Yeah, I use lock and lock containers, but I just don't actually lock it so air can still get out for the first 8-12 hours or so.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.
I have to report that on my recent Hawaiian order I asked if they sold green beans, and if they did, could they include a few ounces so I could try roasting it myself. He replied that they did ($20 lb) but was including 4oz gratis with the order. I told him I was going to try an air popper - he said the machine they use commercially is essentially a really big air popper. He also kindly suggested I do it outside if I didn't want the wife to put the kibosh on the whole thing.

Now I really can't wait for my coffee to arrive - I ordered some medium (as opposed to my usual medium dark) this time and am anxious to taste the differences...

This got me thinking (dangerous) why you never hear of anyone making roast blends, kind of like blended scotch? Like using 2/3 medium roast and 1/3 medium dark to "create a subtle hint of whatever". Or for someone to claim they have the best blend, using some Ethiopian mixed with a Java, and adding just a few beans of dark roast to balance the tannins (???). I'm guessing there's some logical reason why this doesn't happen? Or perhaps it does happen and I'm just not aware of it?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

JDM3 posted:

I have to report that on my recent Hawaiian order I asked if they sold green beans, and if they did, could they include a few ounces so I could try roasting it myself. He replied that they did ($20 lb) but was including 4oz gratis with the order. I told him I was going to try an air popper - he said the machine they use commercially is essentially a really big air popper. He also kindly suggested I do it outside if I didn't want the wife to put the kibosh on the whole thing.

Now I really can't wait for my coffee to arrive - I ordered some medium (as opposed to my usual medium dark) this time and am anxious to taste the differences...

This got me thinking (dangerous) why you never hear of anyone making roast blends, kind of like blended scotch? Like using 2/3 medium roast and 1/3 medium dark to "create a subtle hint of whatever". Or for someone to claim they have the best blend, using some Ethiopian mixed with a Java, and adding just a few beans of dark roast to balance the tannins (???). I'm guessing there's some logical reason why this doesn't happen? Or perhaps it does happen and I'm just not aware of it?

People blend. It just depends on what you like. Just like your scotch analogy a lot of people just like single malts instead of blends.

The infamous "Moka java" blend is probably the easiest to get you feet wet and uses the bright acidy Yemen moka coffee to balance the dark earthiness of Indonesian java coffee.

Timid
Dec 13, 2012

Good morning coffee thread. I arrive with more stupid questions!

For the CCD, is it possible to release the coffee with a cup that has a larger opening? I'm not too sure on how the mechanism works.

Also, is it common for coffee lovers to put cream in their coffee? Like just cream/milk and no sugar. I know a guy who likes to put a lot of cream in his coffee.

That guy is me.

Edit:
I'm also thinking of having a local coffee roastery (Local as in an hour away) grind some coffee for me and have them ship it to me. Is there anything wrong with that? I'm sure theres some science as to why this is a horrible idea but ,I'm asking them to grind it for me since I don't have a grinder yet and I don't have the time to drive up there to pick it up.

Timid fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jul 30, 2013

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

Timid posted:

Good morning coffee thread. I arrive with more stupid questions!

For the CCD, is it possible to release the coffee with a cup that has a larger opening? I'm not too sure on how the mechanism works.

Also, is it common for coffee lovers to put cream in their coffee? Like just cream/milk and no sugar. I know a guy who likes to put a lot of cream in his coffee.

That guy is me.

Edit:
I'm also thinking of having a local coffee roastery (Local as in an hour away) grind some coffee for me and have them ship it to me. Is there anything wrong with that? I'm sure theres some science as to why this is a horrible idea but ,I'm asking them to grind it for me since I don't have a grinder yet and I don't have the time to drive up there to pick it up.

When you say larger opening, how large? If the CCD can fit on top of the cup, it should work.

Don't have the local roasters grind the beans for you. It will go "stale" by the time it arrives to your house and will basically contradict the point of buying freshly roasted beans. Buy a $20 manual grinder, works just as well. Those are my 2 cents.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

GrAviTy84 posted:

That's what big-coffee want's you to believe :smug:

I'd say there's an appreciable difference between 4-5 old coffee and 14 day old coffee, but I'm not saying the 14 day old coffee tastes bad. I hate the pejorative 'stale' - because that doesn't describe the taste change very well.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

nwin posted:

It seems good but if the sweet Maria's are as good/better than ill just go with those.

I think you should buy it and let me know. I'm thinking of getting a container for the beans I buy from local roasters (they come in cheap bags more often than not)

JDM3 posted:

If you go to starbucks, everything is a blend. But famous (and good) roasters like Blue Bottle also do blends: http://www.bluebottlecoffee.com/products/three-africans

quote:

Unlike some of our fancy-shmancy single origins, which tend to be nichey and polarizing, this blend has a very easy-to-like personality, good body, unthreatening complexity, and reasonably clean aftertaste. The Ethiopians – a Yirgacheffe and dry-processed Sidamo – leave subtle imprints of dried blueberries and cardamom, and clean up the slightly raisiny aftertaste of the Ugandan.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

Timid posted:

That guy is me.

Nice to know I'm not the only one. I'm on a low-(almost no)-carb diet and so my body uses fat instead of carbs for energy.

As a result I drink a LOT of 1/2 and 1/2 in my coffee and don't worry about the calories. Like 6 oz coffee and 2-3 oz 1/2 and 1/2. Actually I taste it first and it's not bad black, but it's SOOOO much better "blond".

Yes, I'm sure this is the equivalent to drinking a Macallan's and Diet Coke, but...

Deal with it.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
At that point, I am not sure whether you are adding milk to your coffee or vice versa.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

I ran out of 1/2 & 1/2 today, so when my package from Hawaii arrived I had to drink a nice mug of medium roast black. Very good. I think it's a bit premature to judge based on one cup, but so far the medium roast is better. Medium Dark really needs the 1/2 & 1/2 IMHO. Or perhaps I've just gotten used to it that way. That's how I drank it in Hawaii - pour out an inch of medium dark coffee, top off with 1/2 and 1/2. Never did try the medium there...

If you're curious, yes, I am a moron.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

nwin posted:

Oh god the product description: "... because co2 buildup degrades coffee's flavor." Not that again.

I strongly urge you to buy the $5 container from sweetmarias instead, this reeks of the same scam a company called Friis were running a year or two ago. They were selling a storage jar with a one way valve that was magic - it only let co2 out and allowed other gasses back in. Because you see, co2 was the thing making everyone's coffee stale. Not, you know, an oxidizer or anything. The kicker? For the privilege of owning one of Friis' magic valves you paid around 4x what the jar was actually worth.

Save yourself $15 and get the valved jar from sm, a valved jar is a valved jar.

o muerte fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 1, 2013

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

I picked up one of those $5 Sweet Maria's tins this week since I am going to embark on a roasting adventure, and while it totally seems good for $5, you have to make sure you never try to wash it because the diaphragm in the bottom is paper and will get hosed.

I also have one of these Tightac 1lbers that is pretty nice. I need to buy a new one however as I dropped it a long time ago and I got a crack on the side of the lid. It doesn't inhibit the air tightness or the functionality but I sperg about it every time I use the thing. It's lasted me a couple years though and you can wash it out if you want to really get old oils out.

If I buy another, I might buy the 1/2lb version since if I am buying roasted coffee online, it tends to be 12oz bags and there is quite a bit of room in the 1lber.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
They also want almost $9 to ship the tin from Oakland, which is less than ideal.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Mandalay posted:

They also want almost $9 to ship the tin from Oakland, which is less than ideal.

That just means you have to buy some more stuff to make it worth it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You can also swing by there in person and pick it up for zero shipping.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Yeah, I'll have to integrate it into my next trip up to the Bay Area. I was planning on going last month but they apparently don't believe in opening on Saturday.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Well there isn't really any storefront, it is basically a factory/industrial building. You let yourself in the gate, wave to whomever is in the office, then find the bag on the shelf with your name on it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm scared of Oakland

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There is nothing to be scared of, West Oakland is a cultural experience!

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

withak posted:

Well there isn't really any storefront, it is basically a factory/industrial building. You let yourself in the gate, wave to whomever is in the office, then find the bag on the shelf with your name on it.

Yes, this would be just fine if I could do this on a weekend since I live in SoCal and sometimes fly up. Oh well, so it goes.

On my last road trip, I found a small independent store in San Luis Obispo that would let you roast beans yourself (to your preferred level) using their drum roaster. Pretty innovative and I wish I had time that day to check it out. Coastal Peaks is the name.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Mandalay posted:

Yeah, I'll have to integrate it into my next trip up to the Bay Area. I was planning on going last month but they apparently don't believe in opening on Saturday.

If it makes you feel any better I live about a mile away from SM and I always have them ship my beans because I can't ever find time during the week to go make a pickup :downs:

At least the USPS flat rate options are pretty cheap.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Does anyone know of a brick and mortar store that sells a hand grinder? Going on a camping trip and I don't think I cab get one from Amazon before we leave.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Does anyone know of a brick and mortar store that sells a hand grinder? Going on a camping trip and I don't think I cab get one from Amazon before we leave.

REI does but it is of unknown quality. I think cost plus world market might, any third wave coffee shop should, too.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

GrAviTy84 posted:

REI does but it is of unknown quality. I think cost plus world market might, any third wave coffee shop should, too.

3rd Wave coffee shop would be my first choice.
Williams Sonoma might sell Harios.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

The grinder at rei looks interesting, might just swing by and pick that up on the way.

http://www.rei.com/product/784116/gsi-outdoors-javagrind-coffee-grinder?stop_mobi=yes

Punzilupo
Jul 2, 2004

I have one of these, and it does work, but not especially well. Good enough for camping, though. On mine, the wing-nut for adjusting the grind size only partially meshes with the threads on the rod that turns the burr, so that it is not possible get finer than a certain point. And the burr is of low quality as well. I get grounds that go all the way from 1/8" chunks to pretty fine stuff, with everything in between.
http://i.imgur.com/vGi2eaT.jpg

Punzilupo fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 4, 2013

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Punzilupo posted:

I have one of these, and it does work, but not especially well. Good enough for camping, though. On mine, the wing-nut for adjusting the grind size only partially meshes with the threads on the rod that turns the burr, so that it is not possible get finer than a certain point. And the burr is of low quality as well. I get grounds that go all the way from 1/8" chunks to pretty fine stuff, with everything in between.
http://i.imgur.com/vGi2eaT.jpg

That's a funky grind, but I think it'll be good enough for my clever, in the woods.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
One of the nice things about the CCD is that you can adjust the timing to get the best out of any grind.

Fino Martini
Jan 24, 2006

porktree posted:

That's what big-coffee want's you to believe :smug:

I'd say there's an appreciable difference between 4-5 old coffee and 14 day old coffee, but I'm not saying the 14 day old coffee tastes bad. I hate the pejorative 'stale' - because that doesn't describe the taste change very well.

Certain light roasted coffees don't peak in flavor until two weeks.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.
Anyone have a resource for tamping ergonomics? I'm a part-time barista and I'm paranoid about loving up my wrists.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
I bought a heat gun and dog bowl. I think I should've bought a deeper-dish dog bowl; 32oz isn't big enough.

How close do you hold your heat guns? The roast I finished a couple minutes ago was set to 1000 watts and I must have held that thing less than an inch away.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Casull posted:

I bought a heat gun and dog bowl. I think I should've bought a deeper-dish dog bowl; 32oz isn't big enough.

How close do you hold your heat guns? The roast I finished a couple minutes ago was set to 1000 watts and I must have held that thing less than an inch away.

Pretty sure the bowl I have is around 32oz, and it's big enough for 1/2C to 3/4C of beans, but for me that's plenty as I've been a pretty sporadic drinker lately.

I hold the gun about an inch away to begin, and once I get to first crack, pull back just a bit (2" maybe? haven't measured - the end of the gun is around the height of the top of the bowl) to keep the heat going until they're at the roast I want. I found that works better than keeping the gun close the whole way, makes the heat more even later in the roast.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

dedian posted:

Pretty sure the bowl I have is around 32oz, and it's big enough for 1/2C to 3/4C of beans, but for me that's plenty as I've been a pretty sporadic drinker lately.

I hold the gun about an inch away to begin, and once I get to first crack, pull back just a bit (2" maybe? haven't measured - the end of the gun is around the height of the top of the bowl) to keep the heat going until they're at the roast I want. I found that works better than keeping the gun close the whole way, makes the heat more even later in the roast.

I do exactly the same thing. If you hold the gun too close at the end of the roast it's pretty easy to scorch some of the beans.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

I have a strange observation: I've been making coffee in my aeropress using a medium roast, and in lieu of a scale, using a bit more than 1/4 cup of beans per cup. Then I grind them up, brew, etc. After a few days of this I switched to a medium dark roast. Same amount of beans.

Obviously a much different flavor, but what is interesting are the leftover grounds. I extract just until the air starts to seethe through, so given the air in the chamber, I end up with a rounded hill of grounds. What I noticed is that there seems to be a bit less volume with the grounds from the medium dark compared to the medium. The approximate amount of fresh grounds appear the same between the two, but there are fewer (or less) after they have been brewed.

Am I imagining this? Is there anything that would explain this anomaly?

(Also must report that I'm liking the medium roast much better - likely there is a reason it's the standard roast...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Beans kind of puff up as they roast. So they're less dense the roastier you get them. Ideal roast will vary depending on origin. South east asian coffees taste pretty bland in city roast. African coffees are completely tragic at anything more than a full city.