Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

Cleretic posted:

Except the game throws both signets and pax at you like loving candy by the time you're QL10 anyway, so tossing green signets in gear you'll be using for an appreciable amount of time is pretty okay. I'd even be cool with throwing blues in transient gear if you're likely to be doing the three end-of-DLC missions often.
With the caveat: check the Auction House first! It would be a shame to miss out on 12 million pax because you put a blue violence into a green Q10. I did this with a green violence before I knew better, and it's still sitting in my bank hoping for a signet extractor to drop from Nightmares. Which has happened a grand total of once that I've seen so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I agree with Thwoompa, I don't put signets or glyphs in poo poo unless it's custom gear. It's not worth it, you won't have it long enough.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
So I finally got a good enough internet connection and computer to play online games again and decided to give this one a try. Any advice for someone new to this game?

Full disclosure, I haven't played an online game since vanilla WoW came out and even then I only played for a few months :effort:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The first post has a huge section labeled "New Players."

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

guppy posted:

The first post has a huge section labeled "New Players."

I imagine the OP will make more sense after I've played the game a few hours and figured out the terminology. Thanks though.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

BigRoman posted:

So I finally got a good enough internet connection and computer to play online games again and decided to give this one a try. Any advice for someone new to this game?

Full disclosure, I haven't played an online game since vanilla WoW came out and even then I only played for a few months :effort:

This game is very friendly and rewarding for casual players, when your picking your initial faction go with what sounds interesting to you. The same goes with starting weapons, pick two that sound fun. If you get stuck in a mission, want some advice where to go next or just want to shoot the poo poo with goons while you shoot the poo poo out of zombies hop on our mumble server. We have an ingame chat as well, /chat join awful, mumble info is in the OP.

greth
Nov 12, 2008

Does it trouble your mind the way you trouble mine?
Seconding that mumble is super friendly and helpful. There's usually someone willing to at the least answer questions you may have, and often times help out on tricky missions, dungeon runs, or whatever.

And sometimes we talk about France, apparently.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

greth posted:

And sometimes we talk about France, apparently.

Is this what comes after Tokyo?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Azubah posted:

Is this what comes after Tokyo?
Based on the conversations I heard, it's what comes after London.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Last night I finished the shotgun/chaos starter deck because its description looked cool. Good to know that chaos is cruddy; I only put in enough AP for the deck abilities and spent little SP on it. I'll just enjoy the deck outfit and start dumping points into something else.

It sounds like shotguns are alright for general leveling, so: what should I pair with them? I'm also interested in any decent shotgun consumers that hit more than one enemy.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Chaos has some of the best abilities in the game, for both tanking and dpsing. None of the weapons are actually bad, because no weapon is meant to stand alone. you're going to be dipping into a lot of weapons for passives anyway, so it's not really possible to waste points or anything. Keep in mind that whatever you end up doing, you'll probably fill out the entire wheel regardless.

Pistols and elemental both play well with shotguns, with the added bonus of being a great build for when you hit QL10 and start pushing other content. Pistol/shotgun is a great starting dps build because you bring necessary group buffs to offset your lower gear, and short fuse in elemental is the same way.

greth
Nov 12, 2008

Does it trouble your mind the way you trouble mine?
One thing that was definitely not intuitive was that passives do NOT require the relevant weapon equipped to function, they completely stand alone. So while your active powers are all going to be from your weapon pair, your passives will probably be from goddamn near anything (examples being things like on-hit/crit/whatever heals, damage increases, "when you strike an Afflicted target, you..." type things). Along the way, obviously, you'll be picking up more and more actives. And yeah, you do sort of end up filling out the wheel by accident as you go.

If you're wanting to fill out the built-in decks, I recommend doing it in the order of "literally fill out the entire inner wheel" -> "decks that give cool looking outfits" -> "other". There's a shockingly large amount of good poo poo in the inner wheel.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Ok, that's good to know that filling up the whole wheel is possible, I thought there was a cap on max ap/sp gained. I like pistols so far and I've already put a fair amount of points into them, but I want to experiment with some of the magic schools instead of swords as secondary.

elhondo
Sep 20, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Ankh normal is weird, I'm convinced. I've been running it as a tank in QL8 Blues for a bit, and have run the gamut from smooth to impossibly stupid. And the failed runs have included folks in QL 10. I think having an overgeared healer presents a really hard tanking situation, in that you need the big heals (due to no mitigation with QL8 dungeon drops), and not enough hate generation to overcome a powerful healer.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

elhondo posted:

Ankh normal is weird, I'm convinced. I've been running it as a tank in QL8 Blues for a bit, and have run the gamut from smooth to impossibly stupid. And the failed runs have included folks in QL 10. I think having an overgeared healer presents a really hard tanking situation, in that you need the big heals (due to no mitigation with QL8 dungeon drops), and not enough hate generation to overcome a powerful healer.

If you have agitator and blade torrent nothing can pull off you.

elhondo
Sep 20, 2012
Grimey Drawer
not blade torrent, but escalation/intensity with agitator and fuel to the fire. Still lost aggro.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

How exactly do the Deck Outfits work? Do you get them automatically if you happen to take all the right skills or do you need to select them somehow? I've been able to find out precious little about deck outfits beyond what they look like.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Once you have all the right skills, you'll be able to click the Claim Reward button while the deck is selected to get the outfit.

elhondo
Sep 20, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Beaten

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Do you get rad free outfits, like, all the time? This is way better than the generic duds I started out with:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yes, once you unlock an outfit, you can wear it whenever.

You should also check out Pangaea for more clothes.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Toshimo posted:

If you have agitator and blade torrent nothing can pull off you.
Unless the healer uses barriers.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

orcane posted:

Unless the healer uses barriers.

Not so much, mostly its just if the tank has no AR.

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

elhondo posted:

not blade torrent, but escalation/intensity with agitator and fuel to the fire. Still lost aggro.

The important thing to remember about tanking in this game is that 1) Equiping only "tanking" pieces will make sure you fail at tanking. I know it's really strange, but you usually want 2 pieces of blue attack gear on and the rest all tanking pieces. If you're having issues holding agro against an overgeared healer, try 3pieces of attack gear. 2) healing (especially with blood) builds INSANE amounts of agro, especially since with barries agro builds even when it's not doing anything. if you're having issues keeping agro off the healer, tell them to slot SUBTLETY. It makes them generate less agro and is very useful when you're overgeared healing.

elhondo
Sep 20, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I wasn't really clear on what I was trying to express. I was responding to a post on pubbies sucking in Ankh. While I personally admit to the failings of stacking health and ignoring AR (that's just the way the blues fall before elites), I am a consistently bad tank, and my results vary greatly. Some runs go really smooth, aggro can be lost and recovered, and other times, the healer in purples can't keep me alive through multiple attempts. I don't know the hate formula well enough, but it makes me think that the TSW forum posters had something were on to something when they were pondering overhealing = additional aggro.

On a separate note, Ankh PUG's are where the nominally chill community tends to break down.

thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

My fanfiction makes baby Jesus cry

elhondo posted:

I wasn't really clear on what I was trying to express. I was responding to a post on pubbies sucking in Ankh. While I personally admit to the failings of stacking health and ignoring AR (that's just the way the blues fall before elites), I am a consistently bad tank, and my results vary greatly. Some runs go really smooth, aggro can be lost and recovered, and other times, the healer in purples can't keep me alive through multiple attempts. I don't know the hate formula well enough, but it makes me think that the TSW forum posters had something were on to something when they were pondering overhealing = additional aggro.

On a separate note, Ankh PUG's are where the nominally chill community tends to break down.

The problem is chaos. Swap to hammer and use stones throw and razor shards, never have agro problems again. It doesn't matter if you have an overgeared healer or dps then because hammer is so good at generating agro and doing more damage generating more agro once again. I've been in the situation of having q10 blues and running thru dungeons with the best dps in the game and its a joke to hold agro with hammer compared to chaos. Choas was the tanking build because it used to be the only way to apply exposed, this changed a long time ago but people for some reason still tank with chaos. You can get by with chaos but its a battle especially when you outgeared by others in the group, it's just dumb doing it considering you have much better options.

You also must have ar gear in addition to tanking gear always, try and take 2 majors AR and you will work up to more later on.

Whats your in-game name? I'll be happy to come help with dungeons.

elhondo
Sep 20, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Firestander in game. (I've had it explained to me in previous MMO's, that I probably shouldn't stand in the fire.)

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
Ok, we can help with dungeons that aren't Hell Raised then.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So can people suggest a good damaging resource consumer for AR? My leech build currently uses High-Explosive Grenade, but even when I set up the bonus damage with Incendiary Grenade it's just underwhelming in terms of firepower.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Cleretic posted:

So can people suggest a good damaging resource consumer for AR? My leech build currently uses High-Explosive Grenade, but even when I set up the bonus damage with Incendiary Grenade it's just underwhelming in terms of firepower.

Why not just use transfuse anima? does good damage, does good healing.

If I am using Ele Force, I use Fire in the Hole. Otherwise I use Three Round Burst.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

I was playing through the story mission on my Templar alt and I saw this which I missed the first time through:

:c00l:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Zephonith posted:

I was playing through the story mission on my Templar alt and I saw this which I missed the first time through:

:c00l:

They've thrown a lot of neat easter eggs into the names of abilities, it's kind of cool. :)

One area has its attack messages written as warning messages - GET OUT, YOU WERE WARNED, etc - while one of the late game bosses has all their buffs and so on written in the native Romanian. You wouldn't notice these unless you actively went looking for them.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I've always been a fan of "Too Slow", myself.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

My favourite attack name is from Dr Klein in Ankh. He has an attack on the bridge called "Profane in the Membrane". That's closely followed up by "Kittens, Jeez" from The Vanishing of Tyler Freeborn.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

I remember the Black House's damaging effect being called "Leave This House"

None of it has anything on Scrapyard Edgar though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If you walk into the carnival water the slow debuff is the spirit of tiny, drowned kittens scratching at your heels. Oh Andy, what did your Father do. :ohdear:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Zephonith posted:

My favourite attack name is from Dr Klein in Ankh. He has an attack on the bridge called "Profane in the Membrane". That's closely followed up by "Kittens, Jeez" from The Vanishing of Tyler Freeborn.

Edgar's ability names in Tyler Freeborn are good too. Unfortunately I don't remember what they are right now.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Edgar's ability names in Tyler Freeborn are good too. Unfortunately I don't remember what they are right now.
I know one of them is "Orbitities" and one is "Crazy poo poo"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Why don't pubbies want TSW to have bugs fixed?

quote:

/stuck works fine in all cases, where you are place you can no longer regularly move away from. It normaly moves you one step to the side. It however doesn't work, when the game believes, you are still moving (falling).

The problem is, that when ppl notice they might be stuck, they will first try to jump out which more often than not actually leads to that pseudo-falling situation. As there is a /reset i strongly doubt, this is our Nr. 1 problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Some of the ability names are ace, but none have tickled me as much as "Blood for the Blood Dog" in Darkness War. Simple things, eh? :v:

• Locked thread