Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Are you trying to ditch your contract altogether? If so you could have someone else take over your contract. You don't make any money but you also don't have to pay any cancellation fees, and your free to start a new contract with whatever phone and plan you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

joedevola posted:

It's a Galaxy S2 and it's spotless.

Spotless except for the Galaxy S2 part

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I would imagine that a Glaaxy S2 is so cheap now that you would have already paid it off during the course of your contract, isn't that probable?

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Bugblatter posted:

Are you trying to ditch your contract altogether? If so you could have someone else take over your contract. You don't make any money but you also don't have to pay any cancellation fees, and your free to start a new contract with whatever phone and plan you want.

Yeah, yeah. That. How do I do that?

And I mistyped, it's an S3, had it less than three months.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

joedevola posted:

Yeah, yeah. That. How do I do that?

Just show up at the phone store with the person you want to transfer it to and both of your ARCs.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

joedevola posted:

What's the basic procedure for selling a contracted phone? How big of a hit would I take?

I'm pretty sure the unlimited data bullshit I have is gonna put me in the poor house.

If your problem is unlimited data then just downgrade your data plan.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007

Aesis posted:

Think you need to cancel contract first. The fee for cancelation during contract can be quite a bit.

I'm 99% sure this is wrong and defeats the purpose of transferring a contract

I'd check waygook for more information.

http://www.waygook.org/index.php/board,97.0.html

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

ladron posted:

Just show up at the phone store with the person you want to transfer it to and both of your ARCs.

Yeah, this. You can post on Waygook or the EPIK Facebook groups looking for someone who wants it.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Oh yeah I forgot about transfer. You can just get someone to take over. Both need to present ID btw

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Gay Bean and other Korean speakers: I was in a bit of a debate last night with some Koreans. They were discussing the phrase "거져", and they were saying it was the same meaning as "go away from me" in English but I was saying the connotation was closer to something like "gently caress you" or "gently caress off". What would you say it is?

Eldjarn
Nov 10, 2005

Puppylover
꺼져 - I'd equate it to "gently caress off", in the sense of "get away from me" so the Koreans were mostly right. 꺼지다 means to be turned off, be extinguished, to disappear. 꺼져 literally means "Disappear (from my sight)"

Buff Baby
Jan 7, 2008

As a human being, I'm embarrassed.
Just wanted to say that I had an awesome time in Korea, and I would love to come back sometime soon, or maybe to teach after my university. :) Thanks to the goons who turned up to welcome me, and I hope that you had a good time too!

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I'd say it's in between 'get lost' and 'gently caress off'. Rude nonetheless

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Camp diary, day 2:
movie time and the sound cut out

AmbientParadox fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Aug 5, 2013

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Sounds like Korean camp alright. Gotta make the most out of it by squeezing the budget as much as possible while abusing stuff here and there. I bet the food they give is barely edible as well.

Oh and don't complain to them, or things might not look good for you. When nobody wants to take it up to the higher ups, there's always a reason :)

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

AmbientParadox posted:

Camp diary, day 2:

Jesus. I spent the morning making my kids guide each other blindfolded through little mazes I made in Unreal Tournament. Then I came home and had a nap. It was great.

Any other EPIK people done the second half of their 'in service training' website test thing? I can't remember what the hell my username and password are or if I ever had some to begin with.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Aesis posted:

Sounds like Korean camp alright. Gotta make the most out of it by squeezing the budget as much as possible while abusing stuff here and there. I bet the food they give is barely edible as well.

Oh and don't complain to them, or things might not look good for you. When nobody wants to take it up to the higher ups, there's always a reason :)

Well, most of the teachers are on the verge of walking out. It's not tied to most people's employment and this is optional.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

AmbientParadox posted:

Well, most of the teachers are on the verge of walking out. It's not tied to most people's employment and this is optional.

Oh well then I guess you could demand for improvement or walk out.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Aesis posted:

Oh well then I guess you could demand for improvement or walk out.

Remember to film yourself trashing something first as revenge for not being paid. Bonus points if you get the kids too help you and you acidentally start a mini revolution.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Jesus, AmbientParadox. I don't feel so grumpy about my camp now.

joedevola posted:

Any other EPIK people done the second half of their 'in service training' website test thing? I can't remember what the hell my username and password are or if I ever had some to begin with.

It's your email and 0000, or 0001, or 1111. I forget which.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Does anyone have any experience with a website /app that will transliterate Japanese text to hangul? We have a few visiting Korean students in our summer camp, and I'd like them to be able to sing the Japanese songs with us, but they can't read Japanese kana, and they can't really read romanized Japanese either.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Don't think there is any but naver.com provides good japanese translation.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

One of the advantages of working for a (good) hagwon, we always have an assortment of coffees and teas. Long hours but at least we always have chamomile.

And that lovely iced coffee that comes in a big plastic bottle!

Some kid got either kidnapped or mugged around my hagwon. And now a lot of kids have left... Stressful times. On top of that we have two visiting Korean-German students who are in my most batshit insane class. They're adorable (Korean, but they look so, so German! And their accents are really cute) but, to keep a "good relation" or something I'm basically not allowed to discipline the class.

This class has a kid who cant stop yelling "you're a n****r!" and once stole my phone and dropped it out the window (it landed on the sign, thankfully.) And now, for the next two weeks I gotta just sit there, getting poo poo thrown at me and wearing a smile.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
:o: goondolences. Kids these days...

Eldjarn
Nov 10, 2005

Puppylover
My girlfriend is studying for the TOEFL iBT, I assume this is the best place to ask:

How hard is it? She needs a score of 60 or higher (out of 120 total). It's hard to describe her capabilities here, but she is at the point where she can understand English movies completely if they have English subtitles, and understand around 70-80% without subs. I'm worried the academic vocabulary might be difficult for her as all of her previous studies have been for the TOEIC. She went to a hagwon today to enroll for classes and the 'speaking test' placed her in upper-intermediate / advanced apparently, but I have no idea how good that is.

I'd love some tips on how I can help her study for this.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

AmbientParadox posted:

Camp diary, day 2:

The universe is telling you it's time to hook up with one of the K-teachers.

Does anyone know if there's a way to create a kakao account without a phone number, or, to create two separate accounts on one number?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Eldjarn posted:

My girlfriend is studying for the TOEFL iBT, I assume this is the best place to ask:

How hard is it? She needs a score of 60 or higher (out of 120 total). It's hard to describe her capabilities here, but she is at the point where she can understand English movies completely if they have English subtitles, and understand around 70-80% without subs. I'm worried the academic vocabulary might be difficult for her as all of her previous studies have been for the TOEIC. She went to a hagwon today to enroll for classes and the 'speaking test' placed her in upper-intermediate / advanced apparently, but I have no idea how good that is.

I'd love some tips on how I can help her study for this.

The TOEFL iBT is actually really easy, I think.
As long as she answers the questions they ask, she'll be fine. The problem with a lot of Korean students is they hear that they have to do a bunch of speaking parts and flip the gently caress out and "it's soo hard!" If you look at the scoring rubrics, however, it's actually very gently scored and pretty easy to get a good score on.

here's a link to the scoring guides:
http://www.ets.org/toefl/institutions/scores/guides/

you can see that even if you make a bunch of mistakes in speaking your answer, you can still get a perfect score on it as long as you answer the question they are asking.

IF you have a specific questions, I taught CBT/iBT for years, so let me know.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

Onion Knight posted:

Does anyone know if there's a way to create a kakao account without a phone number, or, to create two separate accounts on one number?

Nope. I used by dads # and got him to send me the confirmation code so that I could get Kakao on my tablet.

It really is poo poo software.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I had a Google voice number I used to make a second one for my iPad. I dont know if that still works, I updated and kakaotalk poo poo itself, had to reverify and the verification text never showed up the second time.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

ladron posted:

The TOEFL iBT is actually really easy, I think.
As long as she answers the questions they ask, she'll be fine. The problem with a lot of Korean students is they hear that they have to do a bunch of speaking parts and flip the gently caress out and "it's soo hard!" If you look at the scoring rubrics, however, it's actually very gently scored and pretty easy to get a good score on.

here's a link to the scoring guides:
http://www.ets.org/toefl/institutions/scores/guides/

you can see that even if you make a bunch of mistakes in speaking your answer, you can still get a perfect score on it as long as you answer the question they are asking.

IF you have a specific questions, I taught CBT/iBT for years, so let me know.

By the by, I'm not sure if I'd mentioned it, but I sent those packets a couple weeks ago. I'm not sure how the mail system works in Korea, but they should be there any day now.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Ghostpilot posted:

By the by, I'm not sure if I'd mentioned it, but I sent those packets a couple weeks ago. I'm not sure how the mail system works in Korea, but they should be there any day now.

right on, thanks. I'll have to send you something hilarious from here.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Camp Diary Day 3:

A child has gone to the hospital. He began with complaints of headaches and eye pains. The child next to him has been having eye problems all week as well. No one cares or notices but me.

The facility manager has been monitoring our room temperatures and noticed the massive irregularities with some teachers. They have removed lamps and hair dryers from some rooms. This occurred while we were in class and there seems to be a growing sense of mistrust.

At last night's meeting it was discussed that we will soon have separate rooms. However, this courtesy is only being extended to the native teachers. This came after one of the more senior teachers threatened to walk out yesterday.

As of this afternoon, it is my understanding that 3 Korean assistants have cried and one manager has cried. Meanwhile, they are forced to attend birthday parties for the facility manager and sing for him.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Please keep posting these forever or until you all die.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Why exactly did you sign up to do this?

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Jesus, this sounds like it's coming from the wrong Korea. Were you blindfolded on the bus ride there?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

It could only be better if done in old timey civil war style.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Did anyone actually get the Nexus 4, all the reviews say the reviewer can't use isn't he while battery in a say. I don't think this is Korea style usage though what with movies and games and kakao.

DontAskKant fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jul 31, 2013

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Kant is slowly learning to speak Konglish, I see.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Don't listen to reviewer, you can totally can't use in battery while say.

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Reporting Kant to immigration for smoking too much dank chronic.

• Locked thread