Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So today the minidisplayport ports on my Mac Pro's 5770 seem to have crapped out. The monitor suddenly went black while I was using it. It doesn't work in either port, but it works with my laptop fine. Also, the dvi port on the 5770 continues to work, but I can't plug a minidisplayport monitor into it without an adapter.

Is there anything I can do besides replace the video card? If not, is there a recommended list of Mac Pro compatible cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

wdarkk posted:

So today the minidisplayport ports on my Mac Pro's 5770 seem to have crapped out. The monitor suddenly went black while I was using it. It doesn't work in either port, but it works with my laptop fine. Also, the dvi port on the 5770 continues to work, but I can't plug a minidisplayport monitor into it without an adapter.

Is there anything I can do besides replace the video card? If not, is there a recommended list of Mac Pro compatible cards?

That's odd. What monitor are you using?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I'm trying to decide whether to get rid of my 13" rMBP and get a Haswell 11" MBA. I just got a 2011 Air, so I'm using them both for a couple weeks. I don't use the SD card slot at all. The biggest thing that pops out at me so far is looking at digital photos I've taken. I can stare at photos on a Retina screen all day and be amazed at the detail but the same picture just looks chintzy on a regular display. I don't need the 12+ hours of the 13" Air, but the 4-5 hours of the old 11" isn't really enough and the 7+ of the rMBP is fine. The other thing I'm noticing again is how dark and saturated the rMBP screen is.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
What's the proper way to care for a rMBP battery for an extended period of inactivity? The Apple support page suggests that all laptop batteries are put at 50% charge and removed from the unit.

I'm going to be out of the country for the next two weeks and I won't be brining my rMBP. Since the rMBP battery can't be removed, should I just charge it to 50% and shut the unit down?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

2 weeks is not a long time. Don't worry about it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Two weeks is nothing. Charge it all the way to 100% and shut 'er down.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mA posted:

What's the proper way to care for a rMBP battery for an extended period of inactivity? The Apple support page suggests that all laptop batteries are put at 50% charge and removed from the unit.

I'm going to be out of the country for the next two weeks and I won't be brining my rMBP. Since the rMBP battery can't be removed, should I just charge it to 50% and shut the unit down?
Think of how long they sit on the boat shipping over here and then in the warehouse and truck to the store etc etc.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong

Bob Morales posted:

I'm trying to decide whether to get rid of my 13" rMBP and get a Haswell 11" MBA. I just got a 2011 Air, so I'm using them both for a couple weeks. I don't use the SD card slot at all. The biggest thing that pops out at me so far is looking at digital photos I've taken. I can stare at photos on a Retina screen all day and be amazed at the detail but the same picture just looks chintzy on a regular display. I don't need the 12+ hours of the 13" Air, but the 4-5 hours of the old 11" isn't really enough and the 7+ of the rMBP is fine. The other thing I'm noticing again is how dark and saturated the rMBP screen is.
I just got a 2013 13" Air and coming from a 2009 15" MBP, the screen is a definite downgrade, even with the same resolution. Colors are just much less vibrant. My Air has a Samsung screen too, which is supposed to be better than the LG screens. I'm not doing any photo editing on it so I don't really care too much, and I love the portability of the Air. It's just so thin and light. It really just depends on how much you want a nice display, how much power you need, and how much you value portability.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
The screen isn't so good uncalibrated. I used a photography calibration tool on mine and it's much better now.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Cawd Rud posted:

I just got a 2013 13" Air and coming from a 2009 15" MBP, the screen is a definite downgrade, even with the same resolution. Colors are just much less vibrant. My Air has a Samsung screen too, which is supposed to be better than the LG screens. I'm not doing any photo editing on it so I don't really care too much, and I love the portability of the Air. It's just so thin and light. It really just depends on how much you want a nice display, how much power you need, and how much you value portability.

It's not that it's worse, it's just the standard laptop screens are so bright and gray.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
Anyone have a USB video card recommendation? Work just ordered me a new Macbook Air and I would like to connect two external displays and I can't find a lot of info online. Eventually I'll be getting TB displays but until then...

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Apple laptops from the store usually have much more than 50% in them too. Same as iOS.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

mediaphage posted:

That's odd. What monitor are you using?

27" ACD minidp. Letting the computer sit for 30min unplugged seemed to fix it for the moment.

jototo
Sep 3, 2003

Has anyone here successfully added an SSD to a MacBook that didn't originally ship with one via optical bay adapter? What would be the best way for getting the OS and some applications moved from the primary 500Gb HDD onto the SSD and making the SSD the primary boot disk? It seems like a simple installation but moving the OS could be a chore.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

jototo posted:

Has anyone here successfully added an SSD to a MacBook that didn't originally ship with one via optical bay adapter? What would be the best way for getting the OS and some applications moved from the primary 500Gb HDD onto the SSD and making the SSD the primary boot disk? It seems like a simple installation but moving the OS could be a chore.

Carbon Copy Cloner.

http://help.bombich.com/kb/overview/carbon-copy-cloners-transition-to-a-commercial-product-frequently-asked-questions

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

jototo posted:

It's really easy, follow this Guide once the SSD has been installed to create symbolic links.

1. Create a USB installer for OS X (may need the optical drive - or just download from app store)
  2. Backup your data
  3. Install SSD with optical bay adaptor
  4. Install a fresh copy of OS X via USB
  5. Follow the above guide.

My Macbook Pro 17-inch, Early 2011, has been going strong with the above setup for about two years. 128gb primary ssd, 500gb data drive for photos, videos, music.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Selklubber posted:

The screen isn't so good uncalibrated. I used a photography calibration tool on mine and it's much better now.

Can you provide a link for this?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
So, turns out I made a miscalculation with how much the stock Haswell 13" rMBP would likely cost as opposed to getting a 128GB Haswell 13" MBA with 8GB RAM, and so I've decided I'll probably just go for the latter. It doesn't hurt that it's looking increasingly less likely that we'll get the new rMBP before the back-to-school promo ends.

So, what's the consensus on the wisdom of buying the 2013 MBA right now? Have the Wi-Fi issues been resolved with that latest patch, and were there any other issues I'm not calling to mind just now?

For reference, if the "lemon lottery" is as good or better than it was 2 years ago I'm totally fine with making the plunge, I just don't want to dive in without knowing if there are any major caveats.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It seems like there have been wifi issues with almost every Mac that's been released in the last couple years. Just go for it.

The only reason I could see NOT buying the current Air is that you really, really needed the processor boost from the 2012 Model, and even the i7 isn't enough for you. In that case you should be getting the rMBP or 15" with the quad core CPU.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

It seems like there have been wifi issues with almost every Mac that's been released in the last couple years. Just go for it.

Which is crazy given apple's "all you need is wireless" approach to connectivity these days (which is not necessarily a bad thing but you'd think they'd make drat sure their wifi worked!)

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Will the battery on my new 2013 Macbook Air 13" be effected negatively if I leave it plugged in/charging + on all the time except when I unplug it to use it on the couch/out of the house?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

rear end Catchcum posted:

Will the battery on my new 2013 Macbook Air 13" be effected negatively if I leave it plugged in/charging + on all the time except when I unplug it to use it on the couch/out of the house?

I would think it would be fine, but with he standby time I don't know why you would be that obsessive about it. I plug up mine maybe twice a week, and it still works like a champ. If I know I'll be doing something battery intensive like gaming I'll make sure to plug it up in advance, but otherwise the thing doesn't die whether I have 80% or 30%.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Don't know if this will work since I used one of these to calibrate but here is the icc profile: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3532583/macbook%20air%20display

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Empirical data on my 2011 Air, which was subjected to more or less that usage pattern:

Capacity vs age
Capacity vs loadcycles

The dotted lines are the database average, solid blue points are my computer.

As you can see in the first graph, my Air is doing much better than the average 24 month old 2011 Air, but is quite normal on the load cycle graph (where you'll note it has a very low load cycle count). This implies that battery wear is more strongly a function of charging and discharging than age. And that it's ok for it to sit on the charger most of the time.

It's probably good practice to discharge it all the way once in a while. Sitting at 100% charge state for long periods of time is supposedly not good for some lithium battery chemistries. But "long" probably means "many months", not "ohshit did I charge cycle the macbook this week?".

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Some people are mad and will yank the cord the second it hits 100% and then leave it unplugged until it gets back down to 10%...

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I thought that both OS X and iOS let the battery discharge to 95% and then charge back up on their own without any interaction from the user?

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
Just got my replacement iMac in (first one had tons of stuck pixels) - this one is perfect. WHile I'm not picky about this stuff at all, this one does have something that worries me. The bottom right of the screen keeps make a slight creak / pop noise. It's only really bad when I wake up the machine and I can't really reproduce it. Any issues with this before? Is it just the adhesive or something expanding? Almost sounds like a small electrical noise, something expanding or what not. Really don't want to have to keep sending units off and again, not really picky. Just don't want to end up with a faulty iMac later down the line.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Mercurius posted:

I thought that both OS X and iOS let the battery discharge to 95% and then charge back up on their own without any interaction from the user?

Yeah, there's that too.

OMGzKakaniz posted:

The bottom right of the screen keeps make a slight creak / pop noise. It's only really bad when I wake up the machine and I can't really reproduce it. Any issues with this before? Is it just the adhesive or something expanding? Almost sounds like a small electrical noise, something expanding or what not.

If it is extra bad when you wake up the machine it literally could be thermal expansion/contraction.

It's not totally clear but is this a one-time noise you hear when waking from sleep? It could be something entirely different. I have a Mac Pro that makes a very loud and audible click when you wake it, thanks to a big honking relay in its PSU.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Mercurius posted:

Correct (enough, anyway). The exact algorithm has shifted around a couple times and is more complex than that, but yes, Apple devices will not allow the battery to sit at 100% charge.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

BobHoward posted:

Empirical data on my 2011 Air, which was subjected to more or less that usage pattern:

Capacity vs age
Capacity vs loadcycles

The dotted lines are the database average, solid blue points are my computer.

As you can see in the first graph, my Air is doing much better than the average 24 month old 2011 Air, but is quite normal on the load cycle graph (where you'll note it has a very low load cycle count). This implies that battery wear is more strongly a function of charging and discharging than age. And that it's ok for it to sit on the charger most of the time.

It's probably good practice to discharge it all the way once in a while. Sitting at 100% charge state for long periods of time is supposedly not good for some lithium battery chemistries. But "long" probably means "many months", not "ohshit did I charge cycle the macbook this week?".

I... I should probably get this looked at.. :ohdear:

I'm also not sure how/why this factors in

It seems that it is roughly average when plotted against mAh:cycle count, but vastly sub par when compared with mAh:age

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Kenny Logins posted:

Have the Wi-Fi issues been resolved with that latest patch, and

Yes, fixed. We don't see anymore coming to the bar with the issue, only if they haven't updated.

No other major/minor issues.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

SeaborneClink posted:

It seems that it is roughly average when plotted against mAh:cycle count, but vastly sub par when compared with mAh:age

It looks like you are using the battery more aggressively than what they consider "average" use for a 9 month old battery, but that given how much you've used it its capacity is roughly average to what they see. Basically, you are using your battery a lot more than the normal guy and its gonna be poo poo quicker because of it. Honestly though, you'd want to see the age vs cycle plot to see if I'm full of poo poo.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Should be fine unless you leave it plugged in for looong periods and/or barely use the battery at all. This bit on the Apple page comes to mind:
http://www.apple.com/batteries/

quote:

A charge cycle means using all of the battery’s power, but that doesn’t necessarily mean a single charge. For instance, you could listen to your iPod for a few hours one day, using half its power, and then recharge it fully. If you did the same thing the next day, it would count as one charge cycle, not two, so you may take several days to complete a cycle.
And if you still don't think you use it enough just unplug and run it down once a month or something.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice

BobHoward posted:

If it is extra bad when you wake up the machine it literally could be thermal expansion/contraction.

It's not totally clear but is this a one-time noise you hear when waking from sleep? It could be something entirely different. I have a Mac Pro that makes a very loud and audible click when you wake it, thanks to a big honking relay in its PSU.

It's definitely worse when I wake the machine up and happens for 5-10 minutes then dies down somewhat. It's hardly noticeable but in a quiet room you can hear it. Just have no idea what it could be but sounds something like expanding and contracting probably.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

SeaborneClink posted:

There's nothing to get looked at, IMO. It's just another data point showing that it's about cycle count, not age or other factors (*). My computer looks great for its age only because the average user in that database is logging a lot more than 52 cycles in 24 months. Yours looks bad only because you've racked up 250+ cycles in 9 months, almost 1 a day. If you need to use the battery that much, it's going to wear out in less calendar time. Not much can be done about it.

For what it's worth, Apple rates their batteries to retain 80% capacity at 1000 cycles. And if batteries work like countless other kinds of wear phenomena, the wearout rate is highest at the beginning and end of life. You're in what should be the long, relatively flat section. (Don't get too freaked by the steep dropoff to the right of that capacity vs cycle count graph for 2012 Airs, by the way. There can't be more than a handful of people who have actually done 400-500 cycles in a year or less. It's probably not a statistically valid sample yet.)

* - Other than heat, that is. Don't store or use a lithium battery in places where it's going to get really hot (Apple cites 35C / 95F as the maximum recommended environmental temperature), and if you do, don't charge it while it's still hot.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Bob Morales posted:

The only reason I could see NOT buying the current Air is that you really, really needed the processor boost from the 2012 Model, and even the i7 isn't enough for you. In that case you should be getting the rMBP or 15" with the quad core CPU.

Yeast posted:

Yes, fixed. We don't see anymore coming to the bar with the issue, only if they haven't updated.

No other major/minor issues.
Thanks for the answers, guys. I'll be putting in my order soon, then. Not having a laptop is actually getting to me much sooner than I thought it would.

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent

wdarkk posted:

If you do decide to replace your video card, you have a few options. You can:

- replace it with another Apple 5770 or 5870

- there are Mac Edition versions of the AMD 7950 and nVidia 680 that you can buy but will pay a premium for.

- buy an off the shelf Radeon HD 79XX series card and drop it in. AMD has updated drivers in the latest versions of Mountain Lion that support these cards out of the box. The only problem being that you won't get a boot screen, which isn't a big deal as your screen(s) will just pop up to the desktop when your computer is finished booting. There are some EFI flashes starting to make their ways out into the wild that will give you boot screens but I never found the risk of using them outweighing the (one) benefit you'd get from it.

- get an off the shelf nVidia 670 or 680. You can install those cards and download the Mac Quadro drivers from nVidia's site. Works like a charm.

I personally replaced my old 5870 with an XFX 7970 Black Edition card a few months ago after 10.8.3 was released. I just tossed it in and it booted with no problems. It also works really well under Win 7.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DIY external GPU using Thunderbolt on a Macbook Air

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4271-2013-11-macbook-air-win7-sonnet-echo-expresscard-pe4l-internal-lcd-%5Bus%24250%5D.html

Only works in Windows but that's probably okay for games.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

autojive posted:

- buy an off the shelf Radeon HD 79XX series card and drop it in. AMD has updated drivers in the latest versions of Mountain Lion that support these cards out of the box. The only problem being that you won't get a boot screen, which isn't a big deal as your screen(s) will just pop up to the desktop when your computer is finished booting. There are some EFI flashes starting to make their ways out into the wild that will give you boot screens but I never found the risk of using them outweighing the (one) benefit you'd get from it.

By "boot screen" do you mean the "enter your username and password" screen? Because that could get a little annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent
Nope. If you have login set on your machine, the drivers for the card will be loaded by that time and your screen(s) will come on. What I mean by boot screen is what you see when you first turn the Pro on and you see the gray screen with the apple logo (Looks like this). You can also hold down the option key to select which system folder to boot from there as well and that functionality will go away with a 3rd party card.

I never had that much of an issue with it anyway since I can boot, select my startup folder/partition from the startup disk preference, and reboot into Windows in less than a minute.