Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Caufman posted:

Maev is suggesting you go immediately to the deep end, like picking up King Harold Godwinson of England in 1066, whose about to get clobbered by Duke William the Bastard, likely to be King William the Conqueror. God be ye judge.

O-kay. Ireland it is then. :hist101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Neltharak posted:

O-kay. Ireland it is then. :hist101:

As someone mentioned, Ireland is a good starting place, but it can be kind of slow.

If you feel you want something different, and have the Old Gods DLC, you could try one of the easier Norse rulers, like Ivar the Boneless.
With him, you start in the middle of a pretty big invasion of Britain, but you are also given a sizeable starting army capable of crushing all opposition on it's own.
Norse rulers also have the ability to raid in peacetime, so you have something to do while you wait for truces to run out/troops to resupply.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm playing as Thomond, with the 867 start and while I'm making good progress with uniting Ireland, I cannot get Skotland to break apart.
I've had 2 Kings killed within a couple of years of each other, leaving a zero-statted 5 year old on the throne, with a bunch of vassals who apparently hate him and a powerful Duke as the heir and... nothing's happening.

I mean, I could kill both the King and the heir, leaving yet another brat on the throne. Thing is, I'm a little concerned that if I stab enough people, one of the other Norse Dukes/Kings will inherit and that doesn't really benefit me either.

treestump
Dec 20, 2004
what was David Coverdale to do?

Broken Cog posted:

As someone mentioned, Ireland is a good starting place, but it can be kind of slow.

If you feel you want something different, and have the Old Gods DLC, you could try one of the easier Norse rulers, like Ivar the Boneless.
With him, you start in the middle of a pretty big invasion of Britain, but you are also given a sizeable starting army capable of crushing all opposition on it's own.
Norse rulers also have the ability to raid in peacetime, so you have something to do while you wait for truces to run out/troops to resupply.

Oh Ivar.

I chose this for my first Old Gods playthrough, fast-forward to 1190 and the Ivaring Norse empire of Britannia controls ~2400 holdings, with Carpathia and Arabia the only large nations that remain mostly intact. I have done a bit of peacetime raiding, but with so many coastal/border provinces, I never run out of conquest Cassus Belli to push. Much of western europe is even de jure Britannia :D

I definitely recommend Ivar for learning the ropes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I jumped into Nordland, ready to beat the crap out of my neighbours. Wait... why's marching over all these mountains take a month? Oh goddammit geography!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Crossposting myself - they're gonna be showcasing the converter:

Paradox Interactive
Today we announced that if you pre-order Europa Universalis IV, you will get a save converter which will read the details of a saved game from a Crusader Kings II and convert that into a game that can be played in Europa Universalis IV.
To showcase this we're hosting a live steam tonight at 11 am PDT (6 pm GMT/7 pm BST/ 8 pm CEST) at: http://twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

canepazzo posted:

Paradox Interactive
Today we announced that if you pre-order Europa Universalis IV, you will get a save converter which will read the details of a saved game from a Crusader Kings II and convert that into a game that can be played in Europa Universalis IV.
To showcase this we're hosting a live steam tonight at 11 am PDT (6 pm GMT/7 pm BST/ 8 pm CEST) at: http://twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

The mess that this is going to create, when converted is going to be amazing

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

SynthOrange posted:

I jumped into Nordland, ready to beat the crap out of my neighbours. Wait... why's marching over all these mountains take a month? Oh goddammit geography!

Use boats. Always use boats to gather your troops when warring in Scandinavia.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Unreal_One posted:

I thought that Republics were hardcoded to republican succession?

We still have elections, but the family heads are now forced to seniority which does interesting things to the respect levels.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Random Stranger posted:

We still have elections, but the family heads are now forced to seniority which does interesting things to the respect levels.

Isn't that the hardcoded behaviour of Patrician families? You should be able to assign another member of your family the honorary title of "Designated Heir" to get around that.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

toasterwarrior posted:

Courtesy of RagnarokAngel (^^^ yes duder I hope you don't mind because this is pretty hype), from the main Paradox thread:

Right guys, get your Muslim Italy/Nordic Britain/United Scandinavia/African Empire/whatever crazy alt-history game wrapped up; Europe ain't the only game in town anymore :getin:

I haven't played any of the EU games; how important is religion in them? I can't imagine Paradox carrying across all the rules for the various faiths from CK2 to EU4.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Did the Abbasids pull an Umayaad in Spain? If so, that's incredible.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Daktar posted:

I haven't played any of the EU games; how important is religion in them? I can't imagine Paradox carrying across all the rules for the various faiths from CK2 to EU4.

Somewhat? You can still wage holy wars and all the christian and muslim faiths are there, but yeah pagans will likely be abstracted unless you reform the religions. Hopefully it checks for that since reformation of pagan faiths was a Big Deal about The Old Gods.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Daktar posted:

Ragnarok's got most of it right, but as appropriate to the time period, it becomes less relevant as time passes. IIRC, in EU3, eventually you will no longer be able to declare Holy Wars for territory. A national idea called Unam Sanctam lets you play around with religious mechanics more in terms of CBs, but generally it usually affects national relations and revolt risks.

Of course, that was EU3. We'll see how it works in EU4 in a few weeks.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
With the way Gavelkind works atfer all the patches now, how can I keep my demesne together? I'm king of Norway and gave all my duchies away but now my entire demesne in Oppland will get split up on death. Do I just conquer useless territory and give it to my younger sons so they shut up about inheritance? And what do I do once I become King of Sweden as well, just hope to create Scandinavia before my guy dies?
Also, why can't I plot-stab my infant sons?

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
The issue with this converter for me is my only game ending in 1453 is a europe pretty much entirely under the heel of the Roman Empire. I can imagine most start to end games are along the lines of Player Blob too, with a few exceptions.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
I can't even remember the last time I've played a game past the Golden Horde. And yeah, if I actually played for another ~200 years, it'd just be a massive Zoroastrian empire with quite possibly the worst genetic pool the world has ever seen. Not sure how well that would transition into EU4.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I'm really stoked about the CK2->EUIV converter, because that means that Thanqol can convert his amazing LP to EUIV and we can see what happens to the Legion during the Renaissance!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

maev posted:

The issue with this converter for me is my only game ending in 1453 is a europe pretty much entirely under the heel of the Roman Empire. I can imagine most start to end games are along the lines of Player Blob too, with a few exceptions.

Someone suggested starting as some country in Asia when this happens. Can India/China/Japan defeat the New Roman Empire?

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
How stable would a Europe spanning roman empire be in eu4?

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

Neltharak posted:

Well, this certainly seems interesting. I don't play many strategy games, but i enjoy a game of Civ here and there.

I was sold for Crusader Kings at the point i learned of the incest and babykilling. Giving this a try. The tutorial seems well-done so far.

We're just getting started, but we've got a comprehensive tutorial LP going here.

Also, Kersch's tutorial LP mentioned in the OP is fantastic, but it was made last year before a lot of the DLC and patches came out, so a lot of the content has changed and some buttons aren't where they used to be.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

So is it a bad idea to try raising crown authority right away upon forming a kingdom? I was playing my first game in Ireland, 2nd heir finally forms the kingdom of Ireland and conquers all but 2 provinces we had peace treaties with, everyone's a fan, but apparently forming the kingdom put us back to gavelkind succession, o gently caress. Well when my prestigious as gently caress queen died and her daughter inherited, poo poo went NUTS, everybody hated everything, constant wars to lower crown authority, constant sibling backstabs trying to steal the crown, then scotland shows up with a 'yo we're just taking this poo poo over here' and I just had to surrender because I couldn't deal with that, eventually got crushed completely and the heir became the original queen's 5th dauther for some reason and I lost all my score and welp they hated her too. Just started beheading people left right and center until the end.

I guess I'm bad at the intrigues :( How do you deal with people hating your heir preemptively, especially if it's a daughter who apparently get an extra -10 to everyone just for being female? Not to mention sibling rivalry seems like it's impossible to not just kill them all once you have your golden baby keeper. Maybe I should have forged some more alliances with people who would actually show up to help in a war / sent a daughter or 3 to scotland.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Indecisive posted:

So is it a bad idea to try raising crown authority right away upon forming a kingdom?

Generally yes because all your vassals get the Short Reign penalty since you're now ruling them under a new state. Coupled with the penalty you get from raising CA + the new default penalty from the higher CA, you'd be pissing off a lot of people and need to have the traits/money/legitimacy from a long reign to compensate.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Indecisive posted:

So is it a bad idea to try raising crown authority right away upon forming a kingdom?

Depends, open up your vassal list before you do it, and see if there's a lot of vassals hanging around beneath 30 opinion.

I like to focus on Diplomacy for my rulers, so very often I can get away with raising it right away, but it's all situational.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I've never actually finished a game because it gets too slow around the 1200's but I'd like to have a game or two to convert. I think the slow downs because of how many characters there are by that point. Is there a way to speed the game up besides the terrain flattening mod like modding in a black death style plague?

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

maev posted:

5 ideas to bring an interesting game to EU4:

1. Switch to another Nation in EU4. Wrest control of the world from the Superpower of Neo-Rome with a new nation.
2. Tag switch to another nation during CK2. Once you've built up a powerful Empire, switch over to the say... 10th most powerful Kingdom, and take it to the number 1 spot. Then switch again, every time you hit number 1 in realm size.
3. To keep things dynastic, set up a family member as an independent duke, count or trade republic, in a foreign realm far from your general influence. Then switch to that family member, and wrestle your way back up to the top in a new region.
4. Set yourself a cast iron maximum territorial limit at the start of CK2, and keep to it. (e.g. Control of all Islands. Control of Dejure Russia+Tartaria+Wendia. Control of Dejure Germany. etc.) Set independent anybody who is under your control who doesn't meet the criteria. Feel free to wage wars to place your family members on foreign thrones, or punish the infidel, or generally put friendly nations in power abroad. But don't take their land.
5. Don't set yourself a limit, but create all available King titles, and never create/acquire an Empire level title. This provides much more scope for the realm to fracture naturally through inheritances.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Trujillo posted:

I've never actually finished a game because it gets too slow around the 1200's but I'd like to have a game or two to convert. I think the slow downs because of how many characters there are by that point. Is there a way to speed the game up besides the terrain flattening mod like modding in a black death style plague?
The amount of characters doesn't increase *that* much thanks to the various limits that exist, I think it's more the history that is getting bloated.

e; but yeah, I'll probably not get any use out of that DLC since I usually get bored long before the end date and the borders just end up being to nonsensical anyway.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 30, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Indecisive posted:

I guess I'm bad at the intrigues :( How do you deal with people hating your heir preemptively, especially if it's a daughter who apparently get an extra -10 to everyone just for being female? Not to mention sibling rivalry seems like it's impossible to not just kill them all once you have your golden baby keeper. Maybe I should have forged some more alliances with people who would actually show up to help in a war / sent a daughter or 3 to scotland.

I'm not sure if it'd work for everybody, but my solution to this is:

• Money: By the last 10 or 20 years of the previous ruler's reign, all they should be doing is spending that time sitting around raking in the :20bux:, so that the heir should have at least 500-1000 gold in the bank to start off with.
  • Diplomacy: High diplomacy increases the effect of bribes
  • A Talented Chancellor and Spymaster: To improve relations and bust faction leaders
  • Feudal Elective: +30 opinion among all feudal vassals!

Basically, be a rich guy with a silver tongue who doesn't mind sitting out the kingship for a reign or two. All of your holdings will go to your designated heir under elective anyway, even if they don't vote for him/her to be the next king.

EDIT: Elective is also fun because sometimes the vassals elect a totally lovely ruler and the realm falls apart under his reign. He gets assassinated and you step up, and you're this gleaming genius who spent his ducal reign accumulating every spare ducat, and you're all like "Hey guys, guess who's back and ready to set this kingdom straight? :smug:"

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 30, 2013

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

canepazzo posted:

Paradox Interactive
Is pre-ordering the only way to get that converter? Because that is seriously enough to make me do it, but if I can wait I'd rather buy it during the Steam winter sale.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

CapnAndy posted:

Is pre-ordering the only way to get that converter? Because that is seriously enough to make me do it, but if I can wait I'd rather buy it during the Steam winter sale.

It'll probably be standalone DLC as well.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
It's pre-order only, although they said that it'll probably be released for everyone else eventually.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just wait for the inevitable Thanksgiving sale on Steam

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I wouldn't call it inevitable as much as planned.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

maev posted:

One of the pre-order DLCs for EUIV is a Byzantine enhancement DLC. If 1453 was the earliest start date, there would be no Byzantine Empire, since the entire reason for 1453 being an important year is that's when Constantinople fell.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

rt4 posted:

Just wait for the inevitable Thanksgiving sale on Steam
But what if the save importer isn't for sale then :ohdear:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wait for next year. I've put 35 hours into this game and I'm only up to 1300 as Ireland. Got plenty of playing to do before getting into some other huge strategy thing, for sure

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Zurai posted:

One of the pre-order DLCs for EUIV is a Byzantine enhancement DLC. If 1453 was the earliest start date, there would be no Byzantine Empire, since the entire reason for 1453 being an important year is that's when Constantinople fell.
Yes, it starts in 1444. It's not like those 10 years makes a difference for his point that at that point so are you most likely an enormous blob.

You can apparently convert a save game from any date but that seems to defeat the whole point of the converter.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kainser posted:

Yes, it starts in 1444.

Surprised they moved up from the 1399 start of EU3.

londonmoose
Mar 22, 2011
Argh, is there anyway of taking yourself out of the line of succession in an elective monarchy? I started a new game as the Duke of Austria, and I just wanted to play in my little corner of the HRE and see if I could scheme my way into controlling all the "Austrian" (in a modern sense) counties, but all the other HRE dukes really love my ruler designed character and keep nominating me. I actually managed to inherit when the Kaiser suddenly died, quickly got overthrown by the Duchess of Bavaria, then got reinstated a few years later by a Faction, but I don't want anything to do with actually ruling the HRE. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks for any help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

ulmont posted:

Surprised they moved up from the 1399 start of EU3.

The 1399 start was added in DLC, kinda like 876 was added in CKII.

• Locked thread