Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

SuitcoatAvenger posted:

Also, to go along with the G.I. Joe talk above, throughout all of the stupid poo poo that G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra was filled with (Marlon Wayans controlling a fighter jet by speaking Gaelic, for example), it was the physics of the falling ice during the final battle that annoyed me the most. Spoiler alert of a terrible movie: the big throwdown happens in and around a secret base located under the Arctic ocean. The base is given coverage from above by a series of massive glaciers. Throughout the battle, torpedoes repeatedly hit the glaciers, causing large chunks to sink down at high speed, nearly crushing the ships involved. The secret base's "self destruct" involved blowing up the ice caps so that they would fall onto the base, crushing it underneath.

Ice cannot sink in water.

The ice is filled with support mechanisms and piping for the base. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Those must have been some really heavy pipes.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.

Dr_Amazing posted:

Those must have been some really heavy pipes.

Maybe they were lead pipes.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

FLEXBONER posted:

Maybe they were lead pipes.

It would explain a lot about COBRA, honestly.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012
So it's either that the ice in the arctic is comprised of deuterium oxide, the film takes place on a extrasolar planet, or Cobra is just incredibly inefficient when it comes to designing the support systems for their secret underwater base.

All of those are better explanations than the real culprit: terrible writing that includes requiring Marlon Wayans to speak Gaelic to control a fighter plane.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I completely forgot about the fighter plane stuff next to the whole ice sinking bit, the underwater dogfighting ripped straight from the star wars prequels, the cast destroying the Eiffel tower and being barred from Paris exactly like in Team America, the villain stumbling across Doctor Mindbender just hanging out in the middle of the Iraq war, and everything else about that film.

I love GI Joe: Rise of Cobra, its so unapologetically stupid that it becomes amazing.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

jabby posted:

See I didn't mind it in Super 8 for the exact reason that I felt it gave that film visual identity, and along with the lightbars and other stuff it managed to evoke 'early filmmaking' (at least in me, someone who knows nothing about early filmmaking).

In Star Trek it just pissed me off because they were everywhere. It's supposed to be a battleship for christ's sake, painting it bright white and having massive lights shine in everyone's eyes would be the worst idea ever. Hell, it's even stated somewhere in Star Trek canon that the reason the lights dim when on red alert is so the crew can focus better on their instruments. Good luck with that, new crew!

I thought Starfleet ships were all exploration vessels. The plot of the shows/movies often has this functioning in a "The US Navy can only have X Destroyers(And a billion carriers rocking artillery) way but I never thought that the Enterprise was a combat vessel per say.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Razorwired posted:

I thought Starfleet ships were all exploration vessels. The plot of the shows/movies often has this functioning in a "The US Navy can only have X Destroyers(And a billion carriers rocking artillery) way but I never thought that the Enterprise was a combat vessel per say.

The Enterprise/Constitution class ships was the closest Starfleet had to a battleship. In TOS, it was dedicated to exploration, but that type of ship was the front-line ship for armed conflict in the Star Trek universe.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Razorwired posted:

Even so, at least the TNG-era ships looked like they were designed with human inhabitants in mind and a modicum of functionality. The new Enterprise looks like you would need to walk around wearing welder's goggles or risk serious retinal injury.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
In the first Iron Man movie, after Iron Man unintentionally kicks the Air Force's collective rear end, Stark tells Rhodes that they can cover it up by claiming that it was a training exercise. Cut to the next scene where Rhodes is telling a gaggle of reporters that, "an unfortunate training exercise involving an F-22 Raptor occurred yesterday..."

It wasn't "an unfortunate training exercise", it was "an unfortunate accident during a training exercise". Three little words would make that line the throwaway joke that it was supposed to be, instead of the nonsense it ended up being.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Razorwired posted:

Well, it is classed as a "heavy cruiser."

(And it's per se. :eng101: )

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
A tiny little thing in Miracle is stuck in my craw. Coach Brooks is trying to get his team fired up and says "...like a throw away game up in Rochester." Rochester is in southern Minnesota. Unless you are from Albert Lea, Rochester is never "up".

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax
If I recall correctly the Final Destination series has been mentioned but I can't get over this. In the second one when there is a pure oxygen environment and the whole room blows up really annoys me. I mean the only reason I've seen the series is because it's just plain fun and not exactly deep thinking.

Oxygen is used in combustion, yes, but oxygen itself is not combustible. If I were to light a match in a pure oxygen environment the rate and efficiency of combustion of the match itself will increase quite a bit but it will not ignite the oxygen around the match.

That and when doctors try to defibrillate a patient who has flat-lines. Shocking the heart when the person is flatlining will do jack poo poo. It's used for people who have gone into v. fib to shock the heart into a more normal rhythm. Not when there isn't any electrical activity.

I am made about things!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Effingham posted:

Well, it is classed as a "heavy cruiser."

(And it's per se. :eng101: )

Which makes sense because generally a cruiser refers to a warship meant to operate independently (instead of as part of a larger group), and usually designed to be fast, long-ranged, and flexible.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rickycat posted:

That and when doctors try to defibrillate a patient who has flat-lines. Shocking the heart when the person is flatlining will do jack poo poo. It's used for people who have gone into v. fib to shock the heart into a more normal rhythm. Not when there isn't any electrical activity.

I am made about things!

When I was a kid I watched Rescue 911 with Bill Shatner (he didn't actually come to my house he just hosted the show) and I lived under the false impression that if you called 911, no matter what had happened if you weren't dead by the time the ambulance arrived they would do something to save you. Same thing with ER and a lot of other medical dramas. Now we have webMD and wikipedia to give us all hypochondria.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, "His heart's not beating! We need to jump-start it like an old car or some poo poo or he will die literally immediately!" is a thing you see a lot in movies that just isn't true. I mean, they do need to restart the person's heart, but shocking it with a defibrillator usually won't do the whole job by itself. It's especially funny when they shock a guy and he jumps right back up like WHOA WHAT HAPPENED like it's Crank 2 and he runs on that poo poo or something.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Final Destination has a few of em for me, but the most irritating is the one with the roller coaster.

The whole "OH GOD IT FLEW APART AND KILLED EVERYONE" was caused by an rear end in a top hat taking his camera on the ride. He gets kicked off, and somehow the coaster still blows apart and kills a lot of people.

The camera went with him, so what the hell happened to cause all the poo poo to happen, and if it DIDN'T have anything to do with that idiot, then why focus so much on him and the fact he's sneaking a camera on?

drat YOU FINAL DESTINATION, YOU ARE RUINING MY IMMERSION.

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax
If not for these tidbits, the Final Destiny series would be the perfect good horrible movies ever. That's one hell of an achievement.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I Know What You Did Last Summer was a really bad Scream knockoff. It had a sequel called I Still Know What You Did Last Summer, but it should have been called I Still Know What You Did TWO Summers ago, because it takes place a year after the first one.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Maybe the bad guy was now upset about what they did the previous summer, when he first returned for revenge. Maybe now he's mad about the second thing.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Supreme Allah posted:

Maybe the bad guy was now upset about what they did the previous summer, when he first returned for revenge. Maybe now he's mad about the second thing.

"I Know What You Diddily-Iddly-Did"

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Oblivion: while visually amazing, the story felt fairly shallow. It was too predictable for me. My irrational irritation, though, is the motorcycle scene. I can see the point of having a form of ground transport inside your ship just in case you crash, but what is the point of Tom Cruise going for a ride? He can turn off communications and took his ship off the radar multiple times. I rolled my eyes when he unfolded it, put on his dorky goggles and rode off. All I could think of was Tom Cruise saying "I like motorcycles! Let's have a scene where I ride a motorcycle!!" to the director.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Pope Mobile posted:

blah blah blah

said a man who has never owned a motorcycle.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

AlternateAccount posted:

said a man who has never owned a motorcycle.

I own a motorcycle and ride year round. I'd still take my flying machine with scrotum jets if it were an option though.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I Know What You Did Last Summer was a really bad Scream knockoff. It had a sequel called I Still Know What You Did Last Summer, but it should have been called I Still Know What You Did TWO Summers ago, because it takes place a year after the first one.

Scream was actually a parody/satire/whatever of slasher flicks like I Know What You Did Last Summer, but hardly the only other game in town (not to mention that both are written by the same guy, but Scream was actually written afterward and its success lead to I Know getting made). And also, Last Summer was based on a book from 1973. :spergin:

GIANT OUIJA BOARD has a new favorite as of 00:06 on Aug 2, 2013

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Dead Blue Sky posted:

A tiny little thing in Miracle is stuck in my craw. Coach Brooks is trying to get his team fired up and says "...like a throw away game up in Rochester." Rochester is in southern Minnesota. Unless you are from Albert Lea, Rochester is never "up".

Rochester is also a city in upstate New York. It has a minor league hockey team, as well as a division I college hockey team at Rochester Institute of Technology.

Smiling Jack has a new favorite as of 04:11 on Aug 2, 2013

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

At the beginning of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory (the 70s one with Gene Wilder), when Charlie is looking in on the candy shop, what the hell is the shop owner doing? He's just giving away free candy to these kids, or is he running a mental tab to collect from them later? Why can't Charlie slip inside and just grab some of the candy he's literally throwing around?

These are the thoughts that kept me out of the good schools. (RIP Carlin)

E: VVV I guess a lot of people don't read the thread title.

WampaLord has a new favorite as of 06:26 on Aug 2, 2013

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

WampaLord posted:

At the beginning of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory (the 70s one with Gene Wilder), when Charlie is looking in on the candy shop, what the hell is the shop owner doing? He's just giving away free candy to these kids, or is he running a mental tab to collect from them later? Why can't Charlie slip inside and just grab some of the candy he's literally throwing around?

And why does he just start singing? And where are the musicians playing the instruments? You know, I don't think that scene was very realistic at all.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

WampaLord posted:

These are the thoughts that kept me out of the good schools. (RIP Carlin)

E: VVV I guess a lot of people don't read the thread title.

Those kids were rich so they got candy for free. Charlie wasn't allowed in unless he prepaid in gutter quarters.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I still haven't seen all of Back to the Future. I can't take a film where they try to make a character that is just implausibly awkward or pathetic and simultaneously make that character the one you're meant to be rooting for, so watching Marty's dad act with the social grace of an autistic manatee is just impossible for me to watch.

Its a problem that comes up a lot with me in movies honestly, alongside its equally painful cousin, driving the plot forward through ridiculous, easily preventable misunderstandings. I just sit there cringing and wishing one of the characters would just grab everyone and explain the situation. This is my irrational and annoying curse, I feel sorry for characters that I'm meant to be laughing at :sigh: Its not a problem with every comedy that I watch or anything, but those borderline cases of feeling sorry for someone and also laughing at them I just can't cope with.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

theironjef posted:

Cherno isn't necessarily named after Chernobyl.
It could be a Dam Busters reference :)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Red Bones posted:

I still haven't seen all of Back to the Future. I can't take a film where they try to make a character that is just implausibly awkward or pathetic and simultaneously make that character the one you're meant to be rooting for, so watching Marty's dad act with the social grace of an autistic manatee is just impossible for me to watch.

The problem with George is that he is a slacker just like his son.
I am also not sure how much of the awkwardness is just Crispin Glover

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Red Bones posted:

Really you're rooting for Marty to save his own existence. George is just a plot device, and even Marty is quite disgusted by his sniveling ways until he has no choice but to 'fix' him.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Supreme Allah posted:

Really you're rooting for Marty to save his own existence. George is just a plot device, and even Marty is quite disgusted by his sniveling ways until he has no choice but to 'fix' him.

In part this could be an extension of the entire movie's whole schtick of inter-generational friction - basically a big "gently caress you dad!" Especially given Fox's previous star-making role in Family Ties, where he plays the proto-yuppie 80s kid who constantly mocks his ex-hippy father. And also the idea that a typical jaded and cynical "modern" teenager would have the equivalent of special powers back in the mythical, more-innocent 50s just for being average in modern times; that pat idea, here found hand-in-hand with the 50s nostalgia fad in the 80s, that people from past eras were just a little dumber than modern people.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

The problem with George is that he is a slacker just like his son.

This really is it. A lot of people take the principal's lines as a throwaway gag, but the premise of the movie is about two generations of slackers who must, in order to survive, stop being slackers.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Cream_Filling posted:

In part this could be an extension of the entire movie's whole schtick of inter-generational friction - basically a big "gently caress you dad!" Especially given Fox's previous star-making role in Family Ties, where he plays the proto-yuppie 80s kid who constantly mocks his ex-hippy father. And also the idea that a typical jaded and cynical "modern" teenager would have the equivalent of special powers back in the mythical, more-innocent 50s just for being average in modern times; that pat idea, here found hand-in-hand with the 50s nostalgia fad in the 80s, that people from past eras were just a little dumber than modern people.

You make a good point, but the cliche isn't limited to the 50s. Whenever someone from the future comes to the present day, they're shown as technologically superior and more knowledgeable than the people of our time. It's funny to think of the Time Lords being regular nobodies like Marty.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Smiling Jack posted:

Rochester is also a city in upstate New York. It has a minor league hockey team, as well as a division I college hockey team at Rochester Institute of Technology.

That's true, but Herb Brooks and a large part of the 1980 USA Olympic hockey team was from Minnesota, so I just assume that's the Rochester he meant. It's really a non consequential nitpick, but I noticed it.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
But sometimes you get them being completely overwhelmed by both not really knowing all that much about the time period or how things work in the past, too, because they're operating on an idealized vision of the era from what TV and movies told them it was like.

I suspect if we had a Back to the Future remake set in the early 90s, even a tech-savvy teen Marty from 2015 wouldn't know how to use DOS or get Windows 3.11 to run, how to use a rotary phone, etc. Then proceeding to dress like someone from Beavis and Butthead, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction or The Matrix because those are the only old 90s TV/movies he's seen.

Of course, I'd like any time travel movie where someone points out a health tip like, "Don't smoke while you're pregnant", I could envision Marty talking about, "NO! DON'T GET VACCINATED! Jenny MacCarthy says it's bad for you!"

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

hyperhazard posted:

You make a good point, but the cliche isn't limited to the 50s. Whenever someone from the future comes to the present day, they're shown as technologically superior and more knowledgeable than the people of our time.

Not always:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

But sometimes you get them being completely overwhelmed by both not really knowing all that much about the time period or how things work in the past, too, because they're operating on an idealized vision of the era from what TV and movies told them it was like.

I suspect if we had a Back to the Future remake set in the early 90s, even a tech-savvy teen Marty from 2015 wouldn't know how to use DOS or get Windows 3.11 to run, how to use a rotary phone, etc. Then proceeding to dress like someone from Beavis and Butthead, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction or The Matrix because those are the only old 90s TV/movies he's seen.

Of course, I'd like any time travel movie where someone points out a health tip like, "Don't smoke while you're pregnant", I could envision Marty talking about, "NO! DON'T GET VACCINATED! Jenny MacCarthy says it's bad for you!"

Technically this sort of already happened at least a bit. Marty got a lot of flack for his clothes in the past, and he didn't even know how to open a bottle of cola back then until George showed him. It happened even more in the third movie, especially with Doc sending him back to the past in that hilarious western getup.

• Locked thread