Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

This conversation about your favorite anime games sure is about Nintendo being unable to put out console that stands up to modern standards, or advertise it in an clear manner as not to cause brand confustion.

At least tomorrow we'll get an actual earnings release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

This conversation about your favorite anime games sure is about Nintendo being unable to put out console that stands up to modern standards, or advertise it in an clear manner as not to cause brand confustion.

Yeah, sorry about that. I didn't know this was going to erupt, it was more of a parting shot before bed. I just couldn't figure out why people were putting it up as an example of a game that should be emulated for this new console (which people were doing) when remembering back to when I was 'that age' and actually playing SNES and finding that game completely unmotivating.

juicecube
Nov 14, 2004

I got a two week gig out here in Port Hope
Here's a question, as it stands right now which has the better library Wii U or Dreamcast?

I would still probably say Wii U :mmmhmm:

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

juicecube posted:

Here's a question, as it stands right now which has the better library Wii U or Dreamcast?

I dunno I think the Dreamcast still has a better online play library.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

juicecube posted:

Nostalgia bid me to disagree. Heavily. Dreamcast has Bangai-O. Do you see Bangai-O on the Wii U? Yeah, didn't think so punk. It's also not dead :colbert:

On a more serious note, I still disagree. Dreamcast had, for its time, an amazing launch line-up. It had the best football game of its time come out to it. It had Shenmue 1 and 2. Soul Calibur. Street Fighter 3 and its revisions. Garou: Mark of the Wolves. The best version of CvS 2. Ikaruga. The Sonic Adventure games (I know they were flawed but back then I was pumped). Power Stone 1 and 2. Fuckin' VIRTUAL ON: ORATORIO TANGRAM.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

TyroneGoldstein posted:

this is correct.

Ive never understood the love affair with Earthbound. Completely overshadowed by other legendary games of the time... and it was sort of like Secret of Evermore, where you play for like 2 hours and then go what the f*** is this and go outside.

For me I think it was the general bizarre nature of the RPG.

Mostly rummaging for food in garbage cans and monsters that attacked you by swearing which paralyzed you with fear. Or hippies that brushed their teeth baffling you.

It was a fun game, but yeah it was an RPG in the end. Just a very weird one.
Hated secret of evermore as a kid. It felt like a really bad Secret of Mana. Well I didn't hate it, I just didn't like the fact I got it over Secret of Mana.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

fivegears4reverse posted:

Nostalgia bid me to disagree. Heavily. Dreamcast has Bangai-O. Do you see Bangai-O on the Wii U? Yeah, didn't think so punk. It's also not dead :colbert:

On a more serious note, I still disagree. Dreamcast had, for its time, an amazing launch line-up. It had the best football game of its time come out to it. It had Shenmue 1 and 2. Soul Calibur. Street Fighter 3 and its revisions. Garou: Mark of the Wolves. The best version of CvS 2. Ikaruga. The Sonic Adventure games (I know they were flawed but back then I was pumped). Power Stone 1 and 2. Fuckin' VIRTUAL ON: ORATORIO TANGRAM.

And no Illbleed.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Maybe Goku could sell Wii Us?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

juicecube posted:

No way Jose.

Boiled Water posted:

How is that not realistic?
Even if you're a software giant like Nintendo you don't just snap your fingers and have a bunch of hot system-selling releases available.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 30, 2013

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

juicecube posted:

"Better" is hard to define. Wii U's games probably hold up better, because they have all these modern standards that make newer games so playable. But the Dreamcast's games were way ahead of its peers technologically, whereas the Wii U simply matches its peers. Dreamcast had Jet Set Radio, the first ever cel-shaded game, Power Stone, a game which basically predated Smash Bros, and Shenmue, which was light years ahead of any other console game in terms of creating a simulated 'real world.' It was the first to have Soul Calibur, which at the time was light years ahead of any other console 3d fighting game. It was almost worth owning a Dreamcast just for the first Soul Calibur alone. It also had a 2D street fighter which was, at the time, by far the best 2d street fighter available. It had a lot of poo poo that was simply "the best." Also Typing of the Dead, which is still the greatest game of all time.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 30, 2013

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Heran Bago posted:

Even if you're a software giant like Nintendo you don't just snap your fingers and have a bunch of hot system-selling releases available.

Nintendo is sitting on their main IPs and they could have had them ready for release day. MarioU and Legend of ZeldaU being available on release day would have made a huge difference.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

Nintendo is sitting on their main IPs and they could have had them ready for release day. MarioU and Legend of ZeldaU being available on release day would have made a huge difference.

Yeah, they have a greater wealth of IP than anyone else in the industry. You have stuff like NSMB Wii U (Mario U on release), Super Mario 3D World, and Yoshi's Epic Yarn where the engine is already mostly done and that certainly applies. But without licensing it out to someone like Retro or Team Ninja they don't have the resources to make good on them, especially in the HD age.

Otherwise Nintendo's various divisions can only focus on one thing at a time.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Just got a survey from Nintendo Europe asking about why the Wii U sucks so much and please tell us what we can do to make it not suck?

:allears:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Boiled Water posted:

You really think Nintendo is just going to throw a game out into the wild with out the proper Nintendo development love?

They've been working on the games, but that doesn't mean they can just release it. What happens when the game is broken or just plain sucks? Not only do they not get your money, they don't get that legacy money their titles have year round after release, because of the bad reputation that product would have.

The closest thing to a rushed Nintendo title we have is Game&Wario and it is bombing off bad word of mouth. And people want this for every game? Sell your Wii U, and go buy a Boxdog for your rushed poo poo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Heran Bago posted:

Yeah well that's kind of the point to running a successful software business so they'd better snap harder or something before it's too late.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The_Frag_Man posted:

Just got a survey from Nintendo Europe asking about why the Wii U sucks so much and please tell us what we can do to make it not suck?

Tell the you want some original IP to really mess with their heads.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

The_Frag_Man posted:

Did you tell them to advertise?

Took the Wii U to my family reunion this last weekend, and showed the parents what it was and what it does, because no one knows what it is, not even my torrenting little brother.

Every gaming publication just spreads FUD about it, so Nintendo really needs to show everybody it's not what they think it is.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
It could be also that Nintendo is acting gunshy because of Other M's reception and piss-poor performance. Miyamoto said as much that Nintendo doesn't trust third parties to develop their IPs with the same standard of quality that they do. Of course that results in fun but fundamentally flawed games like Skyward Sword which would have benefited immensely from outside input.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Strange Matter posted:

It could be also that Nintendo is acting gunshy because of Other M's reception and piss-poor performance. Miyamoto said as much that Nintendo doesn't trust third parties to develop their IPs with the same standard of quality that they do. Of course that results in fun but fundamentally flawed games like Skyward Sword which would have benefited immensely from outside input.

Except Other M is a piss poor example cause that game sucked due to Sakamoto's incompetence and not Team Ninja.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
^^^ ARG!

Strange Matter posted:

It could be also that Nintendo is acting gunshy because of Other M's reception and piss-poor performance. Miyamoto said as much that Nintendo doesn't trust third parties to develop their IPs with the same standard of quality that they do.

Which is kind of strange, considering the biggest problems with Other M came from Yoshio Sakamoto, not Team Ninja.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Sorry, I retract that part of my argument. My mind blanked out most of the stuff about Other M.

Point is that Nintendo's official stated policy damns them because they're simultaneously saying "We don't want to give our IPs to third parties" and "We don't have any good ideas for our existing IPs (re:F-Zero)." So I'm not really expecting a surge in Nintendo IP variety unless there is a change in management in response to poor sales.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Strange Matter posted:

On the other side of that, Nintendo is the only company everyone is expecting to "innovate" every title. The same "journalist" will praise AssCreed 7, but be unforgiving of Pikmin 3 for not drastically changing the game. Which leads to consumers saying stupid poo poo like they have Pikmin 2, so what do they need the third one for? That's an actual comment from a Pikmin 3 review.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

bushisms.txt posted:

You really think Nintendo is just going to throw a game out into the wild with out the proper Nintendo development love?

They've been working on the games, but that doesn't mean they can just release it. What happens when the game is broken or just plain sucks? Not only do they not get your money, they don't get that legacy money their titles have year round after release, because of the bad reputation that product would have.

The closest thing to a rushed Nintendo title we have is Game&Wario and it is bombing off bad word of mouth. And people want this for every game? Sell your Wii U, and go buy a Boxdog for your rushed poo poo.

Right, because New Super Mario Bros. U, Donkey Kong 2, and 3D World all have that signature "development love." :rolleyes:

It used to be that Nintendo had both their high-quality, long devtime games like Mario, Zelda, etc., and their low-effort games that recycle almost every asset and are a quick way to make money like Mario Party, NSMB, and the sports games. Now, every game they throw on the Wii U pretty much falls into the latter category. The Nintendo brand isn't really synonymous with quality anymore, outside the 3DS at least.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
^^^DKC Returns 2 looks amazing though and as much of a step up from the first game as DKC2 was from its predecessor.

bushisms.txt posted:

On the other side of that, Nintendo is the only company everyone is expecting to "innovate" every title. The same "journalist" will praise AssCreed 7, but be unforgiving of Pikmin 3 for not drastically changing the game. Which leads to consumers saying stupid poo poo like they have Pikmin 2, so what do they need the third one for? That's an actual comment from a Pikmin 3 review.
I actually feel very strongly that Nintendo is judged far more harshly in their use of IPs than any other company in the industry, so you've got no argument from me here.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Strange Matter posted:

Sorry, I retract that part of my argument. My mind blanked out most of the stuff about Other M.

Point is that Nintendo's official stated policy damns them because they're simultaneously saying "We don't want to give our IPs to third parties" and "We don't have any good ideas for our existing IPs (re:F-Zero)." So I'm not really expecting a surge in Nintendo IP variety unless there is a change in management in response to poor sales.

I agree with what you're saying (mainly because I loving loved the F-Zero GX, which was developed by Sega), I just felt the need to point that out because as much poo poo as Team Ninja (often deservedly) gets, they weren't the ones that hosed up Samus, and genuinely wanted to make an actual Metroid game.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Bovineicide posted:

Right, because New Super Mario Bros. U, Donkey Kong 2, and 3D World all have that signature "development love." :rolleyes:

Speak for yourself on NSMBU, but that game is awesome. I had four kids huddled around the gamepad, because we had no TV, playing that for hours.

And we've barely seen anything of 3DWorld or DK2, but please tell me how bad they are. I'll be being buying both, because I'm all about local co-op.

Why not mention Wonderful101? It got delayed for the Nintendo love and it's going to be awesome. Pikmin 3 is so good reviewers are grudgingly giving it high scores, and that's a Wii game.

Neurolimal posted:

I agree with what you're saying (mainly because I loving loved the F-Zero GX, which was developed by Sega), I just felt the need to point that out because as much poo poo as Team Ninja (often deservedly) gets, they weren't the ones that hosed up Samus, and genuinely wanted to make an actual Metroid game.

I thought the gameplay was fine, and it was just the story fans hated? It was getting 8s and what not when it came out, even Reggie acknowledged this to Geoff "D&D" Keighly.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 30, 2013

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Bovineicide posted:

Yes, they do.

Comparing a mainline 2D Mario, a mainline 3D Mario and a mainline Donkey Kong Country to Mario Party, Donkey Konga or whatever is crazy to me. These are not lower franchises by any definition of the word.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 30, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Strange Matter posted:

I actually feel very strongly that Nintendo is judged far more harshly in their use of IPs than any other company in the industry, so you've got no argument from me here.

I do feel like the major reason for this is because most of their IPs only get 1-2 games per console generation. Don't like the new Mario Kart? Well, you're gonna have to wait 4-5 years until they try again. Meanwhile with the Assassin's Creed comparison, if they slip up people are all "oh well, better luck next year".

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Srice posted:

"oh well, better luck next year".

The AAA model in a nutshell.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Srice posted:

I do feel like the major reason for this is because most of their IPs only get 1-2 games per console generation. Don't like the new Mario Kart? Well, you're gonna have to wait 4-5 years until they try again. Meanwhile with the Assassin's Creed comparison, if they slip up people are all "oh well, better luck next year".
It's also unfair because Nintendo's IPs cover a staggering breadth of gameplay types, but because they use a stock of characters people file them under the same IP even though the games covered therein aren't even in the same genre. Miyamoto has said as much as that Nintendo doesn't view the Mario cast as characters so much as actors that they can fit into different roles.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Who owns Virtual On at this point? It's a SEGA IP right? I had Oratorio Tangram for the Dreamcast and I could never find the loving Dream Sticks controller that I think only worked for OT. I'd love to see this franchise revived one day on the WiiU.

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!
Is it still heavily rumored that the wiiU will have a wind waker bundle at a lower price? The black 3DS is coming out and its giving me a bit of hope that Nintendo will do something to try to spark interest with the wiiU.

I also just really love wind waker :unsmith:

I have W101 pre-ordered and paid off as well as some Wii games to pass the time.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

bushisms.txt posted:

Speak for yourself on NSMBU, but that game is awesome. I had four kids huddled around the gamepad because we had no tv's playing that for hours.

And we've barely seen anything of 3DWorld or DK2, but please tell me how bad they are. I'll be being buying both, because I'm all about local co-op.

Why not mention Wonderful101? It got delayed for the Nintendo love and it's going to be awesome. Pikmin 3 is so good reviewers are grudgingly giving it high scores, and that's a Wii game.

There's more new features added in new CoD or Madden versions than there are between NSMBW and NSMBU. DK2 and 3D World both look like they're going to have the same level of effort put into them. I didn't bring up Wonderful101 or Pikmin 3 because neither of them are system sellers. Sorry, but very few people outside of SA or NeoGAF are going to buy a Wii U for that, and it doesn't help that they're both in the same sub-genre of action games. Why the gently caress would you have two niche, first-party games like that competing with each other?! :psyduck:

Let's hop in the wayback machine and look at some system-selling "launch window games:"

NES: Super Mario Bros. and Zelda
SNES: Super Mario World
N64: Super Mario 64
GCN: Super Smash Bros. Melee
Wii: Wii Sports and Zelda: Twilight Princess
Wii U: New Super Mario Bros. U and Nintendo Land

Does anyone else see where the Wii U kinda breaks the pattern, here? Every previous generation of Nintendo home consoles has some classic, system-selling game on it. In addition to the marketing shitshow surrounding the launch, there really hasn't been anything must-have on the console. The 3DS got past a poo poo first year by virtue of a price drop and having zero competition, but the Wii U doesn't have that luxury because the new consoles are coming out in November for not much more money. Between that and stores running fire sales and refusing to stock more, they might as well chalk it up as another Virtual Boy at this point. Hell, the Wii U even has the same problem in that it's a portable device that is somehow not portable at all.

tldr: Nintendo doesn't have any killer-apps until March. New consoles come out in November. Worst bomb for them since Virtual Boy.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Bovineicide posted:

tldr: Nintendo doesn't have any killer-apps until March. New consoles come out in November. Worst bomb for them since Virtual Boy.
If that's the case then who is gonna be the Gunpei Yokoi of this scenario? :tinfoil:

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Strange Matter posted:

If that's the case then who is gonna be the Gunpei Yokoi of this scenario? :tinfoil:

Since Pikmin 3 disrupted the development of everything else for the Wii U, probably Miyamoto :smith:

edit: Actually, it's more likely Iwata because then they'd only be left with Sakamoto as an in-house designer, right? :smithicide:

Bovineicide fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 30, 2013

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Bovineicide posted:

Since Pikmin 3 disrupted the development of everything else for the Wii U, probably Miyamoto :smith:
I hope he takes the train.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Why is it that when Nintendo delays something it's called "The Nintendo Love" but when literally anybody else does it there is development problems and the game will turn out to poo poo

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Zomodok posted:

Why is it that when Nintendo delays something it's called "The Nintendo Love" but when literally anybody else does it there is development problems and the game will turn out to poo poo
Maybe because when most other companies delay games endlessly they still come out bad, but when Nintendo delays games they are usually good?

The shine has been wearing off that penny since Twilight Princess though, proving that Nintendo isn't immune from genuine development issues; Pikmin may prove otherwise but I haven't played it yet, nor will I until the WiiU gets a price drop.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bovineicide posted:

There's more new features added in new CoD or Madden versions than there are between NSMBW and NSMBU. DK2 and 3D World both look like they're going to have the same level of effort put into them. I didn't bring up Wonderful101 or Pikmin 3 because neither of them are system sellers.

This is bullshit. 3D world is adding entirely new coop multiplayer where each character is unique with their own gameplay mechanic. DK2 is adding at least two new playable characters, the worlds are in vastly different environments, there's a completely new set of enemies unrelated to the previous games, and all new music from the original DKC2 composer.

And Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3 not being "system sellers" whatever the hell that means, doesn't negate that they are high quality long term effort developed games, which you were saying Nintendo doesn't make anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Zomodok posted:

Probably Ocarina of Time. I wonder what Wind Waker or Mario Sunshine would have been like with more "Nintendo Love."

• Locked thread