Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Paracelsus posted:

If you have Wheels of Fury, you can both run them down and shoot them from the safety of your car.
You don't even need that, just a regular car will do. That's what I did.

Though if you do have that car you might as well use it, it is pretty fun. :getin:

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
So when I was doing the cake delivery mission, I had to look up how to do an action hijack.

From what I read, the tutorial is supposed to appear in the chase after the warehouse mission. I must've bugged it out or something because it never did and all I could do was beat the poo poo out of the cop car and just hope it wouldn't kill the driver.

Did that happen to anyone else?

nfthree
Mar 5, 2007

I'm loving this game.

Throwing Tiffany's boyfriend in the trunk of the car and then slamming her head in the car door. Then Wei drove the car (with the boyfriend in the trunk) off the pier and watched as it slowly sank.

Great fun! I commend the goon that suggested this many pages back!

e: Today I became a whole man. I had both steamed and fried pork buns. But holy poo poo, the fried shrimp ball was delicious!

nfthree fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 7, 2013

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

canyoneer posted:

Any thoughts on clearing out the thugs at drug busts with guns? If you show up swinging, they start shooting and I either die or shoot back and the cops show up.
Are you thinking of Sun Yat Sun Housing Complex?
This was by far the hardest drug bust for me.
Ended up going up to them and shooting a couple before jumping over the edge to the right. Then I just waited for them and the cops to duke it out, occasionally shooting a cop or a bad guy myself.
Be sure to have the health/healthregen/etc buffs active.

The other drug busts with gunmen (the sewage plants) are not that hard because cops won't show up. Just stay behind cover and headshot them one by one. Keep an eye on the minimap to spot the ones that will creep up on you from behind.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Get a car, run them over.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I thought that all drug busts with armed thugs have guns conveniently placed right next to them?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Yes, but that one drug bust in question is above ground, the gun available is just a pistol, and the cops turn up and it gets a bit wild. All the other locations are hidden away in the storm drains so you can deal with them in a more manageable way (including riding in on a boat and shooting in endless slow-mo from the helm).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The key to winning any firefight is to abuse the hell out of the vault slo-mo. That's arguably better than staying behind cover because you save ammo.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

Tae posted:

Get a car, run them over.
The fight in question is unfortunately not car friendly.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

canyoneer posted:

I haven't really had problems leveling Triad XP. Probably because I started out by filling the bottom half of the tree (thus, no extra striking damage).

Cop XP is dumb. Game gives you near unlimited amounts of it, because you can always go do another camera drug bust thing.
Any thoughts on clearing out the thugs at drug busts with guns? If you show up swinging, they start shooting and I either die or shoot back and the cops show up.

I played on PC and, thankfully the mouse/keyboard to controller switch was seamless so I could put my control down and blow all their heads off with relative ease.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

torjus posted:

Are you thinking of Sun Yat Sun Housing Complex?
This was by far the hardest drug bust for me.
Ended up going up to them and shooting a couple before jumping over the edge to the right. Then I just waited for them and the cops to duke it out, occasionally shooting a cop or a bad guy myself.
Be sure to have the health/healthregen/etc buffs active.

The other drug busts with gunmen (the sewage plants) are not that hard because cops won't show up. Just stay behind cover and headshot them one by one. Keep an eye on the minimap to spot the ones that will creep up on you from behind.

That's the one. I think I've run into one or two other above-ground guns available drug busts, but this one as you said isn't car friendly and there are a half dozen strapped dudes. The other ones you can do a couple smooth tackle-disarms to remove the guns from the equation, and then just beat everyone to death. Too many dudes here for that trick to work.

I didn't think to hide out over the edge and let the cops do their thing. Surely the tattooed guy in a luchador mask watching the gang shooting won't look suspicious :v:

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

I'm not sure if it's a bug or on purpose but a couple of times when the cops showed up I kept popping the drug dealers and once the last one went down the alarms stopped and the cops just walked away. Is this normal?

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

I'm loving this but I don't have a controller and the keyboard controls are really wonky. Any way to make this move like every other game out there, where the mouse moves the direction I'm facing and I can use it to turn rather than having to use WASD to turn and just having the mouse be a follow-along camera view?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

GET MY BELT SON posted:

I'm not sure if it's a bug or on purpose but a couple of times when the cops showed up I kept popping the drug dealers and once the last one went down the alarms stopped and the cops just walked away. Is this normal?

Happened to me once or twice. I don't know if it was the cops not seeing me firing or the cops just "locked on" to the triads and then ignored me or what.

also man triad XP why do you have to be so hard to grind? I can't figure out how to max it on Triad highway. I try to alternate tire shots and headshots but I never seem to make any XP at the end despite shooting approximately a million 18K bikes. I guess I'll have to replay some random plot missions.

cop XP is easy as hell and having a cop car as my valet vehicle means I have an on-demand pump shotgun, which is nice except that it's inferior to the pistols :mad:

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Just another busy day stackin' cars

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I somehow managed to play through the entire game before realizing that a single headshot will extend your Bullet Time.

So, um, yeah, there's that too.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I just finished the story and wow what an awesome loving game! This is going to be the first game I ever 100%. Is any of the dlc worth getting?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
A bunch of it is, but others are pure pay-to-win -- as soon as you get your first apartment, you're basically granted enough XP to be at almost level 8 of 10 in all three progression trees if you buy both of the Top Dog packs -- while others are essentially early unlocks of what you can already gain in the game (i.e. the High Roller Pack) and the Red Envelope Pack is simply 1 million Hong Kong Dollars (HKD) scattered throughout Hong Kong Island in the form of twenty envelopes with 50000 HKD each.

Frankly, with Sleeping Dogs it's less about what DLC to get and instead more of what DLC not to get.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The story dlc depends on what you want out of it. None of them add any new environments or any significant progress with the story.

Wheels of Fury gives you a cool car to dick around with, though.

And I'm a huge fan of zodiac tournament which introduces a cool mini-island and some legitimately great combat.

Nightmare in North Point and Year of The Snake are... well, they're okay I guess. They do exactly what it says on the tin, no more no less.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Well, I found three scooters parked at an area where I was supposed to melee battle a bunch of Triads during a mission and looky what happened.

Looking good, feeling good. Diu nei, losers!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Nightmare in north Point didn't feel like it was worth the price of admission even for the €2,- I paid for it.
The new zombies are annoying, the elite ones are fun and so are the powers but it is literally maybe 50 minutes long. :wtc:

And since I want to 100% this game I get to grind out zombies in that DLC now. :shepface:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Gameplay-wise, yeah I can see your point. Story-wise, though, the writing was as good as the main game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I did a fresh Windows install and I guess my near the end savegame got erased. I thought it was on the Steam cloud...

Anyway, is there a save editor anywhere that is both current and has a working download link (I have found two that were each not one of those things), or barring that, a savegame archive? I like the game okay but not enough to play through the whole thing again.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 2, 2013

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I did a fresh Windows install and I guess my near the end savegame got erased. I thought it was on the Steam cloud...

Anyway, is there a save editor anywhere that is both current and has a working download link (I have found two that were each not one of those things), or barring that, a savegame archive? I like the game okay but not enough to play through the whole thing again.

Get drunk and play it again brother

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

GET MY BELT SON posted:

Get drunk and play it again brother
Well, one problem is that this would be the THIRD time I played through the first chunk of it, first on the PS3 and then on the PC, and now now.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
How far into it were you? I might have some old saves lying around.
e: although I wonder if DLC might cause incompatibilities in the save.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Shanakin posted:

How far into it were you? I might have some old saves lying around.
e: although I wonder if DLC might cause incompatibilities in the save.
I don't remember exactly, but I think two or so missions before I saved Uncle Po in the hospital.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

You can even use a later save and just replay the missions from the menu. It isn't perfect but would allow you to catch up that way too :)

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
I re-downloaded the game this morning and wow how much new content have I missed? i already had some of the early base DLC so I knew it boosts my abilities early in the game but man all of a sudden I have other game vehicles, Valve game t-shirts and even more bonuses from... something I don't know what! :psyduck: Man I just started and I have nothing to work up to.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Ronnie posted:

I re-downloaded the game this morning and wow how much new content have I missed? i already had some of the early base DLC so I knew it boosts my abilities early in the game but man all of a sudden I have other game vehicles, Valve game t-shirts and even more bonuses from... something I don't know what! :psyduck: Man I just started and I have nothing to work up to.

I bought it in the sale with all the dlc and you're spot on it sort of ruined part of the game, still fun though.

SSGT Anime
Apr 21, 2012

HERAK posted:

I bought it in the sale with all the dlc and you're spot on it sort of ruined part of the game, still fun though.
Yeah, for anyone who didn't know Sleeping Dogs and all of its DLC are on Steam for 75% off til Monday. I'm definitely going to buy the base game, but what of it's giant list of DLC? I don't want pay-to-win stuff that gives free stats or gimmicky stuff, but at 50¢ - $1 each I'm willing to buy up anything and everything you guys recommend.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
As I said about Sleeping Dogs before, it's more about what DLC not to get (the pay-to-win stuff is the Top Dog, High Roller, Red Envelope packs) than what to get, the rest are that good or at least that cheap.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah the costume stuff is actually rather fun in Sleepy Dogs. Running around as Asian Adam Jensen is funnier than it has any right to be.

So is replaying the game after year of the snake and doing as many triad mission as possible as beat cop Wei driving a police cruiser.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

SSGT Anime posted:

Yeah, for anyone who didn't know Sleeping Dogs and all of its DLC are on Steam for 75% off til Monday. I'm definitely going to buy the base game, but what of it's giant list of DLC? I don't want pay-to-win stuff that gives free stats or gimmicky stuff, but at 50¢ - $1 each I'm willing to buy up anything and everything you guys recommend.

Here's something I wrote up a few pages ago during the steam sale...

Shanakin posted:

Expansions:

Nightmare in Northpoint - Halloween expansion themed like a chinese horror movie. Cheesy and a lot of fun. About two to three hours worth of content. This is not part of the main game and is selected from the main menu.

Zodiac Tournament:
A fun little tournament romp inspired by some older kung fu movies. Fun but short. value is debatable at normal price but on sale sure. This one is available in the main story.

Year of the Snake:
Set in the aftermath of the main story, you are busted down to a beat cop giving out tickets and giving tourists directions, but on a routine patrol during the Chinese New Year Festival, you are thurst centre stage of an apocalypse cult wrecking havoc in the streets. another 2 to 4 hour expansion, a lot of fun. Taze people repeatedly. This is not part of the main game and is selected from the main menu.

Wheels of Fury:
A few extra quests added to the main story that unlock a crazy james-bond style tricked out car. Definitely worth it.

Beyond that, there are a handful of other nice small content expansions that generally add repeatable action missions. A lot of these were store exclusives at one point:

The SWAT Pack: drive around in a swat van and respond to randomised shoot ups, kitted out in swat gear. Not bad to get during a sale but nothing fancy.

Tactical Soldier Pack: puts an assault rifle with grenade launcher in all your appartments and a swatt/commando style outfit that reduces bullet damage in your wardrobe. Nice but pretty skippable if you don't feel like it.

Street Racer Pack: Simply adds a few more races for cars, bikes and boats. I think it adds a new super bike as well. Buy it if you liked racing I guess.

Police Protection Pack:
You know those missions where you get in a car and have to gun down countless persuers on bikes and in cars. This is a long one of those that's on the highway and is infinitely repeatable. Simple destructive fun.

Martial Arts Pack:
You know the mission where you have to beat up the monks. Yeah well it's that except there are infinite monks and you keep going to you you are beaten or leave the area.

Triad Enforcer Pack:
This one adds a triad themed highway shooter and a new unending fight club - except you have a golden, unbreakable cleaver. yeah. REALLY GREAT FOR FOR LEVELLING TRIAD XP WHICH CAN BE HARD TO MAX OUT.

The rest are mostly outfits with maybe a DLC car or something. Check them out, some of them are pretty neat but are up to personal taste.

There are a couple of DLC that you should absolutely avoid however as the ruin the game. They are:

Top Dog (gold/silver) Pack:
These just give you a boat load of xp and money at the start of the game when you get your safe house and ruin a lot of the levelling. If you've already beaten the game you might consider it but definitely not on the first play through.

The High Roller Pack:
Just unlocks some high end cars you can buy in game anyway. Waste of money.

Red Envelope Pack: Puts red envelopes filled with money outside each of your garages I believe. Buy it if you want easy money I guess?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Do those two biggish DLCs that are separate from the main game assume end-game level stats and stuff?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
They do not. They just give you a few pre-selected abilities and let you go.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Yep they're kind of sandboxed into their own set up, so none of your assets transfer over. Having said that, they generally provide you with roughly middle tier level of skills or whatever which is quite adequate for the missions. They are best played after finishing the game though because they generally assume you have finished the game and contain spoilers otherwise.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
By the way, is there any mod for the PC version of Sleeping Dogs that makes the police not magical? That's my least favorite part of the game.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Sadly no. There's basically no mods for sleeping dogs except I think a driving camera mod and a slow mo mod.

UFG/Squeenix don't officially support modding but they've said they're okay with people doing mods as long as no one was posting cracks/online cheats. Unfortunately, the game files were.... very complicated and not particularly modding friendly. There was some progress towards an archive extracter/packer but they gave up on it at some point when they lost interest in the game.

These images are about as close as we'll likely ever get to mods...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008
Hey can anyone help me out? I just got this game from my brother plus the big DLC pack and for some reason it keeps on causing my video driver to crash randomly when I access a menu or load.

Also is there any way to turn off the xp granting DLCs or is it basically a case of just having to deal with it?

• Locked thread