Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squirrelo
Mar 3, 2008

Abe Frohman posted:

I dunno what's up with Ars really, it's been in our pack since the start with no issues at all, I expected to see some issues as the number of mods increased, but we're up to some 132(not including pams as anything more than one mod) mods now and still no real issues from Ars.

Maybe it's just other mods that are worldgen-heavy or long-term heavy like thaumcraft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Squirrelo posted:

Maybe it's just other mods that are worldgen-heavy or long-term heavy like thaumcraft?

Yeah, if you manage to steer clear of the myriad obscure compatibility issues, Ars just takes a huge amount of resources, to the point where it can trigger serious issues in other mods.

Also in my opinion it doesn't look very good. :colbert:

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Few Skyden questions:

What's a good singular source of the 'expensive' goblet-shaped essentia so I can turn gold into iron and back into gold exponentially?

What would be the best gear to go fight the Wither with? How does Thaumic armour/weaponry compare to Diamond or Ruby-tier?

Does the Skyden end once the final Rite is completed, or will I have free reign to continue automating? Because I have an urge to install 1.4.7 forestry onto it with some cheated-in bees just to dick around with tree breeding (I hate that you have to go bee-crazy just to get some drat trees to start brushing leaves together)

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Has anyone managed to get bibliocraft in BigDig, I tried just copying the mod zip across but my game shat its pants until I took it out.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Pidmon posted:

1. What's a good singular source of the 'expensive' goblet-shaped essentia so I can turn gold into iron and back into gold exponentially?
2. What would be the best gear to go fight the Wither with? How does Thaumic armour/weaponry compare to Diamond or Ruby-tier?
3. Does the Skyden end once the final Rite is completed, or will I have free reign to continue automating? Because I have an urge to install 1.4.7 forestry onto it with some cheated-in bees just to dick around with tree breeding (I hate that you have to go bee-crazy just to get some drat trees to start brushing leaves together)
1. Lapis Lazuli has the precious essence, which you can buy for 1 gold nugget apiece. I think there's also a type of chiseled stone block you can transmute to that's basically cheap as free. Just bear in mind that lots of Thaumic activity will charge the area with wisps. If you want to get resources as fast as possible, the fastest method I know of outside of automated golem farms is go to the End with a maxed, Looting-enchanted weapon, either with Disjunct on it as well, or with an Athame (which I think has it built-in), and slay Endermen en masse. Whether you do it directly or with an overhang they can't reach you past, you'll get a truckload of enderpearls really fast, and they can be converted into iron, gold, and diamonds in large quantities.
2. I think Thaumic Armor is slightly less protective than diamond, but enchants better. I'm not 100% on that though. With high enchants you could probably handle it in iron armor though, stacked enchants can make you almost invincible.
3. After the Final Rite you get a pretty fun reward, and there are no more quests, but all the shops remain open and you're not booted off the map or anything, so you can keep playing as long as you like.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Pidmon posted:

Few Skyden questions:

What's a good singular source of the 'expensive' goblet-shaped essentia so I can turn gold into iron and back into gold exponentially?

What would be the best gear to go fight the Wither with? How does Thaumic armour/weaponry compare to Diamond or Ruby-tier?

Does the Skyden end once the final Rite is completed, or will I have free reign to continue automating? Because I have an urge to install 1.4.7 forestry onto it with some cheated-in bees just to dick around with tree breeding (I hate that you have to go bee-crazy just to get some drat trees to start brushing leaves together)

1. According to a couple cheat sheets, your best bet would be to use chiseled stone bricks (the square looking ones); it has 1 Carus (goblet) and 1 Saxum (stone). I'm not sure you have the easy recipe to convert normal stone bricks to chiseled; I think the EE3 stone should do it, though. Smooth sandstone is an alternative but since this is a sky map I don't think you have easy access to a replenishing source.

2. It's a tier below diamond but above iron in terms of defense/damage. Enchantments may turn the balance, I don't know, I never really experimented with them. I would suggest using diamond/ruby still. Get a bow and lots of arrows for the first half of the fight; he's like a faster moving ghast. Recommend building an arena to make things easier.

3. Don't know, never played. Someone else will chip in, I imagine!

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
My plan is to slaughter mobs from my regular spawner until I have around 100 levels (I may make a spider spawner just for the look) so I can re-enchant my infinite fire/power/punch bow and looting/power/knockback/flaming emerald sword, make a 64x64 cobble arena out past the cobble spawner, and go hog loving wild.

I've gotten a bit lazy on the building side of things, I've just been hopping between the nether for gold nuggets and buying dull shards for my magic resource, which is how I've already picked up the adept wand.

Since I'm already planning on adding other mods - what in 1.4.7 was best for maximum storage, a la a DSU or Factorization barrel? My lazy 'this is my loot chest, this is my animal loot chest, oh poo poo i'm out of room for all these creeper heads' method is kind of kicking me in the rear end right now.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Levels become exponentially harder to gain, so getting to 100 is very inefficient. If that's what'll take to repair your stuff, you might be better off just making a new set.

Unless you knew that already and don't actually need to do work for your levels.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I never really knew where to say it, but this is as good an opportunity as any now that it's sufficiently after the fact and the topic's come up again. In Sky Den, some of the Four Trials were designed for lateral solutions. (Obvious spoilers for anyone who hasn't already tackled them).

For instance, in the trial of Earth, one solution is to throw a few dozen levels onto your armor and weapons to toughen up so you can charged through and live. But a clever solution might be to drink an invisibility potion and go in with no armor at all, so you can just sneak through without fighting a single enemy. And in the Trial of Air most people have no choice but to go jumping through the precariously-placed platforms, but a short way in there's a difficult but possible jump that will skip over half the puzzle. However, an even more resourceful adventurer might just toss an ender pearl directly onto the goal platform and not have to make a single jump.

I just liked having the multiple options there. The other ones are pretty straightforward, though the Trial of Fire does have two options depending on whether you want to go with alchemy or enchanting.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
I'll be honest, I just used Creative to fly for the Air one since I've always been bad at parkour (and didn't ever learn the second thing you mentioned in spoilers). Now I feel dumb.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Any advice on getting the player entities to show up for Rei's minimap? I've set the MOTD to &0&0&2&e&f and the server is Big Dig so it has Forge and Bukkit, I see the MOTD in the server list but nothing in game and no change to the minimap.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

Jonked posted:

Levels become exponentially harder to gain, so getting to 100 is very inefficient.

That changed a few versions ago. Now, past level 5, each level requires the same amount of experience.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

NinjaNerd posted:

That changed a few versions ago. Now, past level 5, each level requires the same amount of experience.
Maybe, but Sky Den is running on 1.4.7.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

AceClown posted:

Has anyone managed to get bibliocraft in BigDig, I tried just copying the mod zip across but my game shat its pants until I took it out.

The problem is that Bibliocraft wants to add a new enchantment, but the ID it wants to use is already taken up by betterstorage. Look at the config file for Bibliocraft and change the enchantment ID to something else.

Or alternatively just get rid of better storage because it's crap, the backpacks suck compared to the ones in the original Backpack mod.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So if I want to combine Hexxit and tekkit are there any major conflicts I should know about?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Sedisp posted:

So if I want to combine Hexxit and tekkit are there any major conflicts I should know about?

Probably lots of ID conflicts.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
In a base Tekkit install with nothing added/taken away, what is the best way of only sending items along a pipe if there's room for it at the other end?

My example is my first go at doing an MFR farming setup, I've got a nice 9x9 field chugging away with wheat/carrots and spuds and I'd prefer it if I only kept a single stack of each in the planter and kept the rest for an eventual biofuel system. I don't know the mods well enough to even know where to look up to do what I'd like to do. The only rubbishly unefficient design I can think of right now is having an obsidian pipe collecting the spewed out extras when the planter is full but I'm sure there will be more elegant solutions.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

StorrowS posted:

Probably lots of ID conflicts.

I seem to remember the launcher being able to automatically assign new IDs.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Sedisp posted:

I seem to remember the launcher being able to automatically assign new IDs.

Forge can assign new IDs to items and blocks that don't already have one, but it's not bulletproof. It can still assign new IDs to mod 'X' that are actually already in use by mod 'Y' because it hasn't loaded 'Y's IDs yet, and it won't resolve conflicts if you merge together config files with already assigned IDs.

There's the IDResolver mod too, but I'm not sure how well that works.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Does anyone know if I can do anything with this

In game it says it's a Lumber Axe, it's just untyped. I found it in a dungeon chest.

Also is there any mod similar to Somnia but that's for a more recent version of Minecraft?

Your Lottery
Apr 27, 2009

Fazana posted:

In a base Tekkit install with nothing added/taken away, what is the best way of only sending items along a pipe if there's room for it at the other end?

My example is my first go at doing an MFR farming setup, I've got a nice 9x9 field chugging away with wheat/carrots and spuds and I'd prefer it if I only kept a single stack of each in the planter and kept the rest for an eventual biofuel system. I don't know the mods well enough to even know where to look up to do what I'd like to do. The only rubbishly unefficient design I can think of right now is having an obsidian pipe collecting the spewed out extras when the planter is full but I'm sure there will be more elegant solutions.

You could use gates and pipe wire, but its very fiddly and with transit time you're bound to spill some items.

You could have a diamond pipe connected to the planter, with extra planter slots containing something that can't be planted (like cobble) and whatever you are planting in the appropriate slot of the diamond pipe interface. Diamond pipes next to an inventory will only send stuff into that inventory if there is room, excess goes to an untyped side (presumably pipes leading to your storage).

Or you could use a ME export bus connected to the planter (again with cobble in 8 of 9 slots). This is what I do: eschew pipes and digitize everything at the source and reconstitute at the point of demand.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Are there any mods that spruce up underwater? add seaweed and coral or glowing plants?

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

Fazana posted:

I don't remember if Tekkit has Insertion Pipes, but they're extremely handy.
From your harvester to your planter, place stone transport pipes (or gold if you'd like, just not cobblestone) and then at the planter, place an Insertion pipe. At an angle coming off the Insertion pipe, place another stone pipe and have that lead to your excess storage.
Fill the Planter with a piece of dirt in all but the slots you want filled. The Insertion pipe will first try to put items in the Planter, and if that fails it will pass it along to the rest of the system.

Here's an overhead layout

code:
  P
  i s C
  s
  s
  H
P = Planter
i = Insertion pipe
s = stone pipe
H = harvester
C = chest (overflow storage)

Sunblood fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 30, 2013

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Apparently even with all the recommended settings applied in the tech launcher and to java's runtime options, everything but vanilla minecraft is unplayable.
I used to be able to at least play Tekkit lite, but now no dice to even that. My computers been formatted and started up again a few times since I last played.
Then again, it's also running pretty noisy with just firefox now.
Should I be talking to the haus of tech support about a possible problem with my system? Is there any option that might make things work? Or should I be looking into getting a new system soon?

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Thanks to both Your Lottery and Sunblood for solutions to the distribution problem, I can see I can use one right off the bat and move on to the other one when I have learned more on the AE mod. Cheers!

Talking of AE...

Edit2: Think I have figured it out >.<

Fazana fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 30, 2013

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Sunblood posted:

I don't remember if Tekkit has Insertion Pipes, but they're extremely handy.

Insertion pipes are from Thermal Expansion, and I think Tekkit does have TE.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

Ah okay that's perfect. There was a mod I used to use called Additional Pipes that had insertion and some other weird things like Advanced Wooden Pipes but it has since fallen out of use.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

Fazana posted:

Thanks to both Your Lottery and Sunblood for solutions to the distribution problem, I can see I can use one right off the bat and move on to the other one when I have learned more on the AE mod. Cheers!

Talking of AE...

I have used it for the first time today and I'm really blown away by how good it is. One thing I seem to be failing at though is getting it to do some of the out to pulveriser or furnace and back in recipes. I have glass being made from sand through the furnace working fine but atm I can't get it to make nether quartz dust out of nether quartz or silicon from said dust. It just sits in the queue and doesn't complain about anything in the crafting monitor I made to see if it helped. I have the pattern sat on the interface and not the main crafting multiblock.

I have a single ME interface connected to a pulveriser and furnace through separate pipes to feed into them and a joint pipe to bring back into the system. Sorry to be once again asking questions but a look around the Tekkit bug forums or googling etc didn't seem to being up any advice on what I'm doing wrong.

Edit: Further testing seems to indicate it just doesn't want to work with the pulveriser?! The furnace seems to be chugging things in and out np.

Check the Pulverizer's input/output config via the green gear on the right of the interface. Blue is input, Red is the primary output, yellow is the secondary output, orange is the combined primary+secondary output.
You'll need two Interfaces, one for each machine. They don't discriminate where they're outputting, so something meant for the pulverizer could end up in the furnace and vice-versa.

e: if you still can't get things working, come back with a couple screenshots of your setup.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Sunblood posted:

Check the Pulverizer's input/output config via the green gear on the right of the interface. Blue is input, Red is the primary output, yellow is the secondary output, orange is the combined primary+secondary output.
You'll need two Interfaces, one for each machine. They don't discriminate where they're outputting, so something meant for the pulverizer could end up in the furnace and vice-versa.

e: if you still can't get things working, come back with a couple screenshots of your setup.

Thanks for the reply, I *think* I have finally figured it out. I need an interface AND an import bus to send stuff out and in?

Weirdly, if i leave the output face blank AE will send the material to the pulv/furnace and do it and let the inventory sit there. If at this point I add in piping from the back to the interface sat on top up it goes and it accepts it back into the network. If I then ask for more it sits there and tells me to piss off, I'm thinking now I'm supposed to add an import bus to the back of the machine and bring it back in that way?

Edit: Yup all sorted, two fundamental mistakes. Firstly was thinking that I could pipe the output back into the ME Interface and back into the system and secondly hooking up two machines to one interface. Solved it by making an interface for each machine and also sticking an import bus on the back of each machine. Whew.

Fazana fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 30, 2013

Squirrelo
Mar 3, 2008

Krataar posted:

Are there any mods that spruce up underwater? add seaweed and coral or glowing plants?

There's a coal reef mod included in omp-a that does all that and more. Don't know if it's updated yet though.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Sunblood posted:

Ah okay that's perfect. There was a mod I used to use called Additional Pipes that had insertion and some other weird things like Advanced Wooden Pipes but it has since fallen out of use.

Additonal Pipes also had a few useful pipes, like a round-robin distribution pipe, and the advanced wooden pipe is better than the default BC emerald pipe, because it doesn't pull in round-robin. (With an emerald pipe, if you put in dirt and cobble, it will pull dirt, cobble, dirt, cobble, and if one runs out it won't continue to pull the other.)

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Squirrelo posted:

There's a coal reef mod included in omp-a that does all that and more. Don't know if it's updated yet though.

Uh, don't add this and Buildcraft in the same pack. Coral Reef will put coral in the underground oil bubbles, and when coral is generated it places water. So, it puts water in your oil bubbles. Also, if you later remove Coral Reef, you'll have tons of air on the ocean floor!

Squirrelo
Mar 3, 2008

McFrugal posted:

Uh, don't add this and Buildcraft in the same pack. Coral Reef will put coral in the underground oil bubbles, and when coral is generated it places water. So, it puts water in your oil bubbles. Also, if you later remove Coral Reef, you'll have tons of air on the ocean floor!

Huh, good to know. Will ask the author if he can do a water check and not a liquids check to prevent that interaction.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
My friend just upgraded our server to the new Tekkit and we added IC2 back in. For some reason the powered items in my inventory (mining laser, nano saber, electric wrench) keep draining rapidly, into my power suit I assume. This seems to be the opposite of our old server (1.4.7 with Tekkit Lite) where smaller items like the saber and wrench seemed to pull power off the suit... which was much better. Is there any way to fix this? I messed with the IC2 sliders and they only seem to make them drain faster.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Just got started today with Sky Den, and Vib, extra special thank you to you and Chocolate! This is my first map of this kind in a LOT of ways (never even played a FTB/Monument-like before) and it's been a wonderful, smooth introduction as well as being just drat fun. Just getting through the first round of quests but things seem well paced. There's always something to do, and I didn't have to wait three nights while a few trees grew.

Although from my reading here, my opinion might change now that I have cactus :v:

Also echoing what someone said in the last thread; your writing's pretty great for this. It's fun, and makes the map more fun. For Seaden, the only two suggestions I can think of are a) In-story explanation of why I can get farming rewards and these lazy assholes haven't set up a farm for themselves. Maybe they just tried to rig up a bio-reactor and it blew up everything except starting island. The only reason I would even suggest it (because it's such a minor thing and wasn't a negative) is it looks like, with resource packs or server commands, you could literally walk up, see this built up city come into view, and then watch it explode almost completely!

b) Might be explained in Skyden itself, but if I have a Zombie drop an iron bar and have gravel, I'm beelining straight to the Nether. If that's not intended, a note in the starter book would help. (Again, not far enough for gravel, so if Iron comes first or this is stated, nevermind me)

Aaaaaand now I'm gonna pop out of the thread. It's exciting to go through the quests and watch your material supply slowly grow. The first time I have an iron surplus such that I can make armor may actually feel like more of an accomplishment than my first Modular Power Suit creation. Thanks :D

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Old Greg posted:

b) Might be explained in Skyden itself, but if I have a Zombie drop an iron bar and have gravel, I'm beelining straight to the Nether. If that's not intended, a note in the starter book would help. (Again, not far enough for gravel, so if Iron comes first or this is stated, nevermind me)

It is in the rules book (one of them anyway) that you're not supposed to use rare zombie drops.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

McFrugal posted:

It is in the rules book (one of them anyway) that you're not supposed to use rare zombie drops.

oh poo poo time to throw those 3 extra potatos off the side *opens full potato chest*

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Ah, gently caress. Thanks McFrugal! I literally just arranged the extra farm fields for not-wheat.

Although I might keep my one potato for when I get the legit other one and can't time out their full growth properly. LOVE LOVE LOVE that growth mechanic.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I don't think rare drops can upset the game's balance, actually. You might get carrots and potatoes early but since the quest that gives you those also gives a few other items, you'll need to do it sooner or later anyway (plus, the quest only requires like 5 bread, which is nothing).
As for the question about iron and gravel, you can't get gravel before you're "allowed" to get to the Nether, so even if a zombie drops iron you still can't get that flint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Apparently even with all the recommended settings applied in the tech launcher and to java's runtime options, everything but vanilla minecraft is unplayable.
I used to be able to at least play Tekkit lite, but now no dice to even that. My computers been formatted and started up again a few times since I last played.
Then again, it's also running pretty noisy with just firefox now.
Should I be talking to the haus of tech support about a possible problem with my system? Is there any option that might make things work? Or should I be looking into getting a new system soon?

I have the same problem, things used to run fine, then after 1.4 ish I can't run anything to save my life.

Wish I had some answers for you.

• Locked thread