Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

hobbesmaster posted:

This diagram is what we needed to finish that boss!

Ah, attempted again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Is there a guide somewhere that explains what happens when you rip mods out of the 55 com gear? I just blew 150 coms thinking the offhand sabre hilt could be used in a main hand slot.

The warning wasn't exactly clear about that when I bought it.

EDIT:

As an added insult, I accidently replaced my old 30 might hilt by mistake. Uggggggh.

Givin fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 30, 2013

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Givin posted:

Is there a guide somewhere that explains what happens when you rip mods out of the 55 com gear? I just blew 150 coms thinking the offhand sabre hilt could be used in a main hand slot.

The warning wasn't exactly clear about that when I bought it.

EDIT:

As an added insult, I accidently replaced my old 30 might hilt by mistake. Uggggggh.

Mods and enhancements can be used anywhere. Hilts Barrels and armorings only in the same slot they came from.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Lesson learned. Ouch.

BigDes
Dec 27, 2012
There should be a special in hell for people who queue up as healers, refuse to do any healing and then give you poo poo because your healing was not good enough

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Well finally made it through two pug 55hm's to get my comms for the week before rollover last night. Hammer station oddly went well. Cademimu however was painful. Rant rant rant rant.

So, Pot5 could really use more people. Or something.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
How do I search for guild members so I can ask for an invite? I'm on Jedi Covenant so it's That's No Goon, right?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Open up the "Who" window and type "That's No Goon" in the search box, then click the dropdown that says "Comment" and change it to "Guild". That should get you some names to whisper, then just ask if there's any officers on. I'll be on tonight for sure, but I may be on my Republic characters.

Speaking of, I've been running my Scoundrel through daily FPs and warzones as a healer, and it's way more fun than I'd expected. I'm trying to get in some experience as a position player instead of my usual "stand in one spot and DPS", and warzones are good practice for learning situational awareness.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Better to just search for "goon", /who search has implicit ORs between every word.

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

Nipponophile posted:

warzones are good practice for learning situational awareness.

-ability combinations
-learning to better use abilities on the move
-learning what keybindings need to be updated/what interface elements need to be optimized
-how to deal with pressure

Back when I played WoW I helped our guild switching from "family style" to "server firsts" and one of the main things I did to facilitate the change was to take our non-PVPers into BGs over a few weeks. Coming out of that experiment had me more convinced than ever that most people will never approach their potential if they only ever PvE.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Nipponophile posted:

Speaking of, I've been running my Scoundrel through daily FPs and warzones as a healer, and it's way more fun than I'd expected. I'm trying to get in some experience as a position player instead of my usual "stand in one spot and DPS", and warzones are good practice for learning situational awareness.
It helps that Operative/Scoundrels are probably the most fun healers to play in FPs and Warzones. There's pretty much nothing you don't have a tool for: dodge, vanish, droid slice, etc. If there's any advice to give for war-zone operative/scoundrel is that you should always be crouching every time you move, because it fucks with force leaps and people get so confused about why their poo poo isn't working. It's great watching some Marauder just sit there bewildered.

Lately I've been playing a Jedi Shadow alt and I've tried tanking FPs and it's been the complete opposite experience of healing them. They're just the most un-fun things I've ever done because there's nothing you can do if your healer is a derp.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
At level 19, I just discovered how amazing Warzones are. I've already gained 50k experience in the last 35-40 minutes. In fact, I just hit level 20. I'm going to do this for a while instead of running back and forth all over a planet to do quests for 6k experience.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Rascyc posted:

Lately I've been playing a Jedi Shadow alt and I've tried tanking FPs and it's been the complete opposite experience of healing them. They're just the most un-fun things I've ever done because there's nothing you can do if your healer is a derp.

Conversely, if you're a healer, there's few things more annoying than your tank either a) not using his threat gen moves or a +threat gen stance (if he has one), or b) deciding to run around behind obstacles in the room so you have to jog everywhere to keep him within line of sight.

Daric posted:

At level 19, I just discovered how amazing Warzones are. I've already gained 50k experience in the last 35-40 minutes. In fact, I just hit level 20. I'm going to do this for a while instead of running back and forth all over a planet to do quests for 6k experience.

Wish I had that luxury. I'm ATROCIOUS at PvP of any kind.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Alter Ego posted:

Wish I had that luxury. I'm ATROCIOUS at PvP of any kind.

Warzone XP doesn't require any effort or skill on your part. It's entirely a function of how long the warzone ran and whether your team won or lost. You could literally run in circles mashing your basic attack and make at least as much XP as half the people there.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
As a healer my most hated thing I ever see in an FP is a tank that just hard focuses on one mob.

It's so hard for them to understand that they don't need to worry about their dps on one mob. If the Mob isn't in the range of their PBAOE then it's not getting tanked and instead is going to attack me.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Nipponophile posted:

Warzone XP doesn't require any effort or skill on your part. It's entirely a function of how long the warzone ran and whether your team won or lost. You could literally run in circles mashing your basic attack and make at least as much XP as half the people there.

I may just try that and test your theory. :v:

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Alter Ego posted:

I may just try that and test your theory. :v:

I'm a mercenary and I literally just let everyone get in a big group and mash my Missile Blast button or the Fusion Missile if I can get it off. I end up with ~50 kills and 7-8 deaths and get a shitload of experience. Even if it's the same amount of experience per time in-game as PvE, it's more fun to get it through PvP.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Daric posted:

I'm a mercenary and I literally just let everyone get in a big group and mash my Missile Blast button or the Fusion Missile if I can get it off. I end up with ~50 kills and 7-8 deaths and get a shitload of experience. Even if it's the same amount of experience per time in-game as PvE, it's more fun to get it through PvP.

I'm an Operative, so running around just using Backstab/Lacerate over and over sounds like it could be fun...

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
All the PvP gear is level 55 right, so in the meantime should I spend my warzone commendations on planetary commendations?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Daric posted:

Sure, but you'll gain a lot less experience when the weekly/daily isn't up. Questing is still a lot faster when that happens.

And I'm saying that as someone who greatly prefers warzones over generic questing.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 30, 2013

Not Jerobi
Apr 19, 2010

Frimmin' on the frim fram.
Frimmin' on the fram.

Daric posted:

All the PvP gear is level 55 right, so in the meantime should I spend my warzone commendations on planetary commendations?

There are level 20 and 40 pvp vendors on both Dromund Kass and Coruscant.

Not Jerobi fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 30, 2013

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Not Jerobi posted:

There are level 20 and 40 pvp vendors on both Dromund Kass and Coruscant.

This gear is bad and you do not want it. The 20 gear is fine because it has no expertise, but the 40 has expertise, which means the bolster system makes it weaker than just wearing pve stats.

Ajax
Mar 16, 2004

Aunt Petunia's Girdle!
What's happening?
Personally, I didn't find planetary comms all that useful - they drop like candy anyway if you bother to quest at all. What I found more useful was: before my valor rank got to 40, I spent the comms on Warzone Adrenals and Medpacks, I have a few hundred of each now for using in lv 55 pvp. When you get to Valor 40, you should switch wz comms to ranked commendations, you'll be able to get a couple of conqueror pieces when you hit 55, which is very helpful.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Kainser posted:

Sure, but you'll gain a lot less experience when the weekly/daily isn't up. Questing is still a lot faster when that happens.

And I'm saying that as someone who greatly prefers warzones over generic questing.

I leveled 4 characters doing just warzones and flashpoint dailies. As long as you aren't in a huge hurry, it's pretty quick. Daily WZ, daily flashpoint, swap to different character. Get a level every 1-2 days of doing it. Sure questing is quicker when you're grinding away, but for an hour of play a day, it was pretty easy.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Is anyone having a problem with the launcher? Whenever I try to start Swtor up it tells me the Launcher is updating, shuts down and then informs me that only one instance can run at a time twice. Is anyone familiar with this problem and how to solve it? Its been like this the whole day.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Nephthys posted:

Is anyone having a problem with the launcher? Whenever I try to start Swtor up it tells me the Launcher is updating, shuts down and then informs me that only one instance can run at a time twice. Is anyone familiar with this problem and how to solve it? Its been like this the whole day.

Check and see if there's another launcher process running. If so, kill it in Task Manager and re-run the launcher.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Dexo posted:

As a healer my most hated thing I ever see in an FP is a tank that just hard focuses on one mob.

It's so hard for them to understand that they don't need to worry about their dps on one mob. If the Mob isn't in the range of their PBAOE then it's not getting tanked and instead is going to attack me.

DPS running like headless chickens when they pick up aggro has got be a close second. Bonus points if it's an AC that requires casting. Extra double bonus points if you end up hitting an Enrage timer.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Neat Bastilla homage in the Jedi Consular storyline. This storyline seems to get a bad rep for its awful Act 1 but it seems perfectly fine to me so far.

Needs more dark side force push options though.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Act 1 hits peak awful after you get the Nueticons (sp?) because it's the same drat crap until the end of the act. All the classes have a "find 4 mcguffins" plot I think but Consular is just so bad at hiding it.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Is the bounty hunter event coming up this weekend? It just popped up on my reputation list.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Is the bounty hunter event coming up this weekend? It just popped up on my reputation list.

13th I think.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

What's that entail?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Daily (per character) quest to find and capture or kill a guy. Check Dulfy, lots of details there.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Tolan posted:

Check and see if there's another launcher process running. If so, kill it in Task Manager and re-run the launcher.

Theres no other launcher. I've turned my computer off and on again at the plug and its still doing it. I've checked Task Manager and theres nothing.

Edit: I tried to run the Fixlauncher application and it didn't work. I ran a diagnostic but I can't read this poo poo. The only thing that stuck out was:

30/07/2013 13:22 Application Error Faulting application name: Steam.exe, version: 1.84.85.72, time stamp: 0x51f2e856 Faulting module name: tier0_s.dll, version: 1.84.85.72, time stamp: 0x51f2e809 Exception code: 0x40000015 Fault offset: 0x0001dc80 Faulting process id: 0x430 Faulting application start time: 0x01ce8d27cd474a2a Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\tier0_s.dll Report Id: 1f9d6be6-f91b-11e2-855b-902b349719bd

I have no idea why its mentioning Steam.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 31, 2013

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Nipponophile posted:

I don't think win/loss matters either. I'm pretty sure XP gain is purely a function of time.

Dexo posted:

While the tank should grab the focus of as many mobs as they can, many pulls involve spread out adds, and it's the job of DPS to kill them in weaker -> stronger order. Tons of DPS don't do this and instead only focus on the tank's target which is exactly the wrong thing to do.

Nephthys posted:

Theres no other launcher. I've turned my computer off and on again at the plug and its still doing it. I've checked Task Manager and theres nothing.

Edit: I tried to run the Fixlauncher application and it didn't work. I ran a diagnostic but I can't read this poo poo. The only thing that stuck out was:

30/07/2013 13:22 Application Error Faulting application name: Steam.exe, version: 1.84.85.72, time stamp: 0x51f2e856 Faulting module name: tier0_s.dll, version: 1.84.85.72, time stamp: 0x51f2e809 Exception code: 0x40000015 Fault offset: 0x0001dc80 Faulting process id: 0x430 Faulting application start time: 0x01ce8d27cd474a2a Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\tier0_s.dll Report Id: 1f9d6be6-f91b-11e2-855b-902b349719bd

I have no idea why its mentioning Steam.

Dunno about Steam but I know they were updating the launcher yesterday to support streamed installs or something.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I had to wait like 2 minutes for the launcher to update. During which it vanished from the foreground and reappeared out of no where later on. The launcher is always quite janky in my Windows 8 install. Whenever I start it up, I have to basically let it sit there for about 30 seconds before it pops back in and only clicking on it will 'refresh' it so I can actually confirmed I typed in my password.

If I click on any other windows while it's loading, it will usually orphan itself and I cannot recover it without an end-task and restarting the launcher.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

kmzh posted:

Dunno about Steam but I know they were updating the launcher yesterday to support streamed installs or something.

Hmm, well if they did then that must be it. Something must have gone wrong with my update. I guess the next step is to just call up support and get to the bottom of this.

Edit: Yeah, it looks like this is a problem many are having. Support was able to fix it for me. Anyone else having similar problems just call them up. Thanks for the help guys.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 31, 2013

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Rascyc posted:

I had to wait like 2 minutes for the launcher to update. During which it vanished from the foreground and reappeared out of no where later on. The launcher is always quite janky in my Windows 8 install. Whenever I start it up, I have to basically let it sit there for about 30 seconds before it pops back in and only clicking on it will 'refresh' it so I can actually confirmed I typed in my password.

If I click on any other windows while it's loading, it will usually orphan itself and I cannot recover it without an end-task and restarting the launcher.

Same thing happens here, in addition it blocks all scrolling in Chrome until the window appears. I wonder what the hell that launcher does when it starts up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

That bounty reputation is for the next set of cartel packs. Its another version of the contraband pack rep.

I haven't seen anything related to the actual event show up on my reputation list.

• Locked thread