Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

TaurusOxford posted:

What in the gently caress is wrong with you Freddie?

I wonder if Freddie is one of those people who don't really have their own unique personality. They basically adopt the personality of an individual or group that they are around for a while to fit in. On the Cornelia Marie he seemed to be a respectable and relatively decent guy. On the Wizard he's become a raging assclown.

Interestingly enough, you practically have to be a raging assclown to fit in on the Wizard. Coincidence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

DFu4ever posted:

I wonder if Freddie is one of those people who don't really have their own unique personality. They basically adopt the personality of an individual or group that they are around for a while to fit in. On the Cornelia Marie he seemed to be a respectable and relatively decent guy. On the Wizard he's become a raging assclown.

Interestingly enough, you practically have to be a raging assclown to fit in on the Wizard. Coincidence?

this is pretty much the type of personality I was talking about in my earlier post. You just explained it better.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Man, Jungle Gold is fantastic. Two bros running around the in jungle trying to find gold while they constantly yells "It's the law of the jungle:byodood:" and getting shot at by Chinese miners.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

Fast & Loud is probably scripted, but isn't full of contrived personal drama. Yet.

Fast & Loud is one of my favorite shows on Discovery for that exact reason. Hopefully the producers don't force that angle on the crew.

I also love the modified Shelby Mustang that Richard has. Ever since I saw the remake of The Thomas Crown Affair I wanted one of those.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Holy poo poo, a new Gold Rush.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
It was so nice to see two people get along on Naked & Afraid. The guy was a whiny baby and the woman was mostly useless, but at least they worked together. They were a big improvement over that idiot Puma from last week.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

It was so nice to see two people get along on Naked & Afraid. The guy was a whiny baby and the woman was mostly useless, but at least they worked together. They were a big improvement over that idiot Puma from last week.

This was definitely the best episode so far. Regarding every other episode, do people actually like stupid people drama? Or are reality TV producers just huge assholes?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

FogHelmut posted:

This was definitely the best episode so far. Regarding every other episode, do people actually like stupid people drama? Or are reality TV producers just huge assholes?

The idea seems to be to showcase people that, if you were stranded with them, you would feel okay sneaking away from camp in the middle of the night with all the supplies.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
So happy that Josh got the Cornelia Marie back :) I hope he does well next season, and poaches Freddie from the Wizard so that he can go back to being cool.

Having Jake Anderson on the Cornelia would be interesting too. Same with Jake Harris.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Keep Jake Harris as far away from that boat as possible.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

kefkafloyd posted:

Keep Jake Harris as far away from that boat as possible.

Keep Jake Harris as far away from ANY boat as possible. He's had every chance possible to get his poo poo together and everyone who has tried to help him has had their faces spat on.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

SteelAngel2000 posted:

So happy that Josh got the Cornelia Marie back :) I hope he does well next season, and poaches Freddie from the Wizard so that he can go back to being cool.

Having Jake Anderson on the Cornelia would be interesting too. Same with Jake Harris.

I don't see how Anderson would be anything but unhappy on deck of yet another boat he simply will not ever be captain of.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

I don't see how Anderson would be anything but unhappy on deck of yet another boat he simply will not ever be captain of.

I like to think that maybe this Opie season has humbled him a bit

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

ToastyPotato posted:

I dunno, considering their friendship Josh might let Jake take the boat out for a few runs, like how other captains sometimes switch off (though they are usually related).

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Fortner left the Time Bandit :cry:

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

Crazy Ted posted:

Fortner left the Time Bandit :cry:

The TIme Bandit will be interesting with a bunch of new guys next season.

Nice to see the Cornelia Marie back in the game as well.

Schlampa
Dec 28, 2006

"my wife says I'm a big finisher"

Entire season was worth it for that line.

pincky
Oct 28, 2010
So I guess this was the "Season finale". Lot's of lovely crab seasons this time around. Personally I was rooting for the Northwestern, the Time Bandit, and really no other vessel. Junior is an rear end, Keath is an rear end, Elliot is just pathetic. Wild Bill ist ok I guess. Jake on the Kiska Sea was a complete no entity this season but I guess it was cool, because the the ship is high-tech and an abbreviation from the other low-tech ships on the show. But I seriously doubt he will be a skipper anyday soon.
Looking forward to the next season with the Cornelia Marie especially!!!

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
Just want to throw a tidbit out there that was not mentioned on the show.

During this past season King quotas were the same as the year before and Opies were hit with a 20-25% cut. The low pot totals this year backed that number up. I don't think we ever heard of a 500 crab pot.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
I'm curious what Keith would have done to Mouse if the pots had come up short during their last string.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Burning_Monk posted:

I'm curious what Keith would have done to Mouse if the pots had come up short during their last string.

He would go overboard by 'accident' was my first thought.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Digital Jedi posted:

He would go overboard by 'accident' was my first thought.

Me too! I was thinking of Mouse being Freddy to Keith's Walrus.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
What an unrelenting season that didn't let up until basically the last 30 minutes of the finale. So much of the season was just so dark. Kiska Sea being total douchebags to the newbie for basically zero reason that I guess to seem rad on camera. Kiska's Captain basically selling Jake on a lie. The guy doesn't have an ounce of desire in wanting anyone but himself to hold the power of the Captain's chair and probably couldn't teach or mentor another person to save his life. I really hope Jake gets off that boat because it's just destined to be an abusive situation where he'll keep getting kicked around while they dangle a carrot just out of reach. The Wizard is the Wizard and I always hope it and the Saga crash into each other and end up on the bottom of the sea. Both of those boats make money and do their jobs, but mental illness at sea is just not what I want from this show (I'm probably in the minority on this one). It definitely wasn't what the show was about when Phil was alive. Especially regarding Freddie, but that's been talked about enough.

Bright spots of the season: Sig becoming more comfortable with letting Edgar take more responsibility, and Edgar rocking it in multiple ways. It can only be good for the both of them as the brothers start to have more equal footing. The Hillstrand's mentoring the hell out of Josh and getting him back on the CM. Teared up a bit during that segment because while those guys can be tough as nails, there's almost always love and fairness behind it.

So I'm glad the season ended on an uplifting note, but holy cow it was a hard season to watch.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I really wish this show would get more technical with the operations of the boats. It's hard to judge the quality of the work these guys do when you don't know what their IFQ was, how much they leased on top of it and what percentage of it they caught. The stupid crab count counter thing doesn't really mean much of poo poo, although the Kiska Sea sure seemed to pull a big number. Presumably since the entire quota system is managed by the DNR, these numbers should be available. And show us what these guys have for IFQ as compared the rest of the entire fleet. Are these boats we watch really the big producers? Are they mid-pack? Are they all small players in a sea of corporate boats? Some mix between? I'd be interested in all that information. It would really give the show a feeling of a goal since the derby days are dead and buried. Obviously these are floating businesses so not all the numbers will likely be shared, but some of the captains have mentioned things like $9,000 a day to operate the boat and whatnot. I'd love to see information like, preseason dockside prep and provisions and fuel @$DATE ($248,000), then see them make that money back over time fishing and bust out of the red for the season. Timelines, daily takes, incurred costs. That would all be awesome to me.

And you know what? For all the crap and whatnot we were shown Jake taking on the Kiska Sea, for a $100,000k+ per deckhard Opie season it sure beats working on the Saga, busting your rear end and risking your captain unintentionally manslaughtering you while he masturbates about women that either want nothing to do with him or do nothing but take advantage of him, all for $22,000.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

trouser chili posted:

I really wish this show would get more technical with the operations of the boats. It's hard to judge the quality of the work these guys do when you don't know what their IFQ was, how much they leased on top of it and what percentage of it they caught. The stupid crab count counter thing doesn't really mean much of poo poo, although the Kiska Sea sure seemed to pull a big number. Presumably since the entire quota system is managed by the DNR, these numbers should be available. And show us what these guys have for IFQ as compared the rest of the entire fleet. Are these boats we watch really the big producers? Are they mid-pack? Are they all small players in a sea of corporate boats? Some mix between? I'd be interested in all that information. It would really give the show a feeling of a goal since the derby days are dead and buried. Obviously these are floating businesses so not all the numbers will likely be shared, but some of the captains have mentioned things like $9,000 a day to operate the boat and whatnot. I'd love to see information like, preseason dockside prep and provisions and fuel @$DATE ($248,000), then see them make that money back over time fishing and bust out of the red for the season. Timelines, daily takes, incurred costs. That would all be awesome to me.

And you know what? For all the crap and whatnot we were shown Jake taking on the Kiska Sea, for a $100,000k+ per deckhard Opie season it sure beats working on the Saga, busting your rear end and risking your captain unintentionally manslaughtering you while he masturbates about women that either want nothing to do with him or do nothing but take advantage of him, all for $22,000.

I would also be interested in a logistics of the Bering sea special, going by the numbers Kiska Sea seems to be a much bigger operation and it's only logical that the Captain is demanding and wants Jake to learn the boat properly before he hands it over.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Lord Tywin posted:

I would also be interested in a logistics of the Bering sea special, going by the numbers Kiska Sea seems to be a much bigger operation and it's only logical that the Captain is demanding and wants Jake to learn the boat properly before he hands it over.

"Here steer the boat and operate the crane, with little to no experience. No, I will not show you how to do anything."
5 minutes later
"You are horrible at this, let me back in the chair. You are slowing us down!"
*Cut's camera to exasperated Jake*
"I've made a huge mistake picking that kid to pilot this ship."

:doh:

Marlex the Younger
May 22, 2008

All I've had today was like, six gummy bears and some Scotch.
I don't understand why the Kiska Sea captain chose Jake to begin with. Sure, he's proven himself to be a capable (if sometimes a bit unstable) deckhand with the potential to captain a boat one day, but it's obvious he was on a boat completely different from your own operation, but in equipment, style and scale. It's obvious Jake and the captain came into this agreement with entirely different expectations.

I was glad to see Wild Bill's son do well at the end of the season, but I hate that it's going to validate (in Wild Bill's mind) the lovely way he's treated his son over the past couple of seasons.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

trouser chili posted:

Are these boats we watch really the big producers? Are they mid-pack? Are they all small players in a sea of corporate boats? Some mix between?

I know no more than you but my former roommate was a deckhand on a Swanson (I believe) crab boat and his brother worked below deck processing and freezing crab so apparently there are much larger boats. The larger boats are apparently no safer though, my roommate tangled his leg in a pot line and was pulled overboard, his body was never found. He used to tell me stories of friends that died and took lots of pictures of them chopping ice off the deck and hull :3:.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

wormil posted:

I know no more than you but my former roommate was a deckhand on a Swanson (I believe) crab boat and his brother worked below deck processing and freezing crab so apparently there are much larger boats. The larger boats are apparently no safer though, my roommate tangled his leg in a pot line and was pulled overboard, his body was never found. He used to tell me stories of friends that died and took lots of pictures of them chopping ice off the deck and hull :3:.

The biggest boats are also floating processors correct? Those things are pretty crazy. Didn't Dirty Jobs do an Alaskan episode with a floating processor (it was for fish though)?

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

I am not sure of a combination fishing and processing boats but there are floating processing boats where you can offload.

The problem the last two years has been a weak biomass in red king and opies the biggest harvests. Not sure if there is a reason or how they check but quotas have been getting slashed and boats hanging it up.

Here is the article I saw back in October.

http://www.seafoodsource.com/newsarticledetail.aspx?id=18108

evilwaldo fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 3, 2013

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Marlex the Younger posted:

I don't understand why the Kiska Sea captain chose Jake to begin with. Sure, he's proven himself to be a capable (if sometimes a bit unstable) deckhand with the potential to captain a boat one day, but it's obvious he was on a boat completely different from your own operation, but in equipment, style and scale. It's obvious Jake and the captain came into this agreement with entirely different expectations.

I was glad to see Wild Bill's son do well at the end of the season, but I hate that it's going to validate (in Wild Bill's mind) the lovely way he's treated his son over the past couple of seasons.

Meanwhile, Josh Harris has just about as little captain experience as Jake Anderson so next season is gonna be fun.

Follow the fart bubbles, Josh.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Meanwhile, Josh Harris has just about as little captain experience as Jake Anderson so next season is gonna be fun.

Follow the fart bubbles, Josh.

It's said that Jake Harris actually has more time on boats than Josh. And if he had kept his poo poo together was actually next in line to run the CM before Phil's passing.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Burning_Monk posted:

It's said that Jake Harris actually has more time on boats than Josh. And if he had kept his poo poo together was actually next in line to run the CM before Phil's passing.

Remember that time when Phil was super hard on Josh because he never felt he took crabbing seriously and basically treated him like a gently caress up over Jake? Remember when Phil basically seemed to want Josh to be more like Jake? Weird how ridiculously things change.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is shark week going to be any good this year? There was a really good one a few years ago when they got Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs to do shark episodes, but its been downhill from there. Last year seemed to be mostly recycled crap, with very little new programming. And it seemed to return to the "sharks are scary" theme for dumb people.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

FogHelmut posted:

Is shark week going to be any good this year? There was a really good one a few years ago when they got Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs to do shark episodes, but its been downhill from there. Last year seemed to be mostly recycled crap, with very little new programming. And it seemed to return to the "sharks are scary" theme for dumb people.

Not sure about the televised content but This may be the neatest thing ever

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

So how fake is this megaladon show? On a scale from Alien Autopsy to Mermaids: The Body Found. I'm waiting for them to cite Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus as a documentary source.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Since it brought up global warming as a possible reason, I would say Mermaid.

I do want to believe, but that witness photo at a completely different angle than where she sits was interesting.
I want a reveal at the end that says they have this thing in Sea World or something.

stuxracer fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 5, 2013

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Considering one of the photos looks like they shopped the Loch Ness Monster pic, and the other looks like an enlarged shark fin shopped next to a floating dead whale, I'm pretty sure the team will discover Bigfoot in Scuba gear instead of a Megaladon.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Glancing over the schedule, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to a couple of them. The ones about large sharks in Louisiana Bayous, great white reproduction (I think? The descriptions on the website are horrible and hard to interpret), and rare deepwater sharks all look really cool. Everything else seems to be continuing the trend of "sharks are everywhere and will kill you fear fear fear" bullshit programming (with brief moments of "sharks are beautiful creatures who rarely attack people and should be protected donate now" scattered in commercial breaks :downs: ).

And then there's this... thing that's airing now, which was interesting for about five seconds before it became clear it was basically the same thing as that "Mermaids" crap that aired on Animal Planet.

edit: fb

edit: brought to you by Miller 64

Hazo fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Hazo posted:

large sharks in Louisiana Bayous

Yay, we now have something else to make at fairs as novelty food!

• Locked thread