Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Benny, good for you. Keep seeing the doctor. Ask the clinic for resources about drugs, too- I know that some pharmaceutical companies do have low-cost or free programs for some of their products.
Here is a thing you probably already know about : http://www.rxassist.org/

But seriously, you have a goon in Chicago rooting for you, bro. (And there's a lot of us.)

Edit- also, ah. Take this as a compliment: your last few posts in here have been better-written- as in, more forceful, clear and direct- and more grammatically sound than all your others. I don't know what you're doing right but you're doing something.

Uncle Salty fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Ben, if it hasn't occurred to you, it's completely okay to call up the doctor's office and say "uhhhh yeah my medication is $900 a month and I simply cannot afford that." There are plenty of anti-psychotics and anti-depressants that have generics now. If he refuses to try anything else, something's fishy, find another doctor.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Benny, I don't know where you live, but you should look up "community mental health clinic [county]" on google. I use one in my area and they take care of prescription assistance for me, to the point where they gave me a $1k+ box of antipsychotics (2 month supply) for free. I get name brand lamictal three months at a time ($1200) and don't pay a dime despite not having insurance. It's all based on income, but you should be able to get help. You can try contacting the manufacturer and finding out about any prescription assistance programs they have, as well.

Money should never be an issue when it comes to prescriptions, and particularly when it comes to psych meds that people need in order to function at all in society. I swear to god, you should be able to take a tax return or proof of unemployment or something to any pharmacy and get an income based discount on your meds instead of having to sign up for eighty different things that may only comp a certain amount and still leave you unable to afford the prescription.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It also wouldn't hurt to take another look (or just *a* look, if you haven't already) at state or county-level medical assistance programs. At the very least, you might be able to get a social worker or something assigned to work with you who can help you navigate all of this stuff, and I think that would help you tremendously.

Good luck, man. You're taking the right steps.

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012
Despite the let-go from Target, I'd say that this is a sign of marked improvement. Don't be scared of "psychotic tendencies" stuff, "psychosis" is a very vague term that can cover a great number of situations.

Can this thread be preserved to show just how helpful therapy can be for some people? I know it's just the beginning, but maybe it'll cut down on some of tough guy attitude of "you don't need meds to fix yourself" you sometimes see in E/N and other places.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So I went to another employment agency: the same one I got my typing certification back in February. I did two tests: one for Windows and one for Excel and I scored well enough on both. They're gonna try to line me up with an office job. Unfortunately, I accidentally left my folder containing copies of my new resume and my certification in there. So back to the employment center tomorrow.

I have to wonder if at some certain point, how much is it carelessness and how much is it my mind going. I am constantly losing and misplacing things like this.

EDIT: My psych will be in his office tonight. I'm going to call him and ask about psychosis and the anti-psychotic drug.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

In the worst case just write down everything you took to a place on a piece of paper (or put it in your phone) and make it a habit to check that list before you leave the building/floor you are on.
If your head is in chaos, doing one thing "checking your list" is better then trying to remember each piece individually.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
Errr...You left some paper copies of your rés and a certificate? News to Benny—you don't need either. Ya can print your rés again (at home or a kinko's or a friends anywhere really).

Secondly, if you actually, physically supply your "Windows-XP" paper certification at an interview you will be laughed and mock behind closed doors. That's poo poo you just include in your rés or mention off-hand. :)

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

gently caress da Mods posted:

Errr...You left some paper copies of your rés and a certificate? News to Benny—you don't need either. Ya can print your rés again (at home or a kinko's or a friends anywhere really).

Secondly, if you actually, physically supply your "Windows-XP" paper certification at an interview you will be laughed and mock behind closed doors. That's poo poo you just include in your rés or mention off-hand. :)
The tests were for their use; not for me to hold on to and pass to prospective employers. And it's more the fact that I have a bad habit of misplacing things and it's been this way ever since I as a kid :smith:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Benny the Snake posted:

The tests were for their use; not for me to hold on to and pass to prospective employers. And it's more the fact that I have a bad habit of misplacing things and it's been this way ever since I as a kid :smith:

I've found the "put your keys on top of it" method works pretty well for me when I'm leaving the house. As for once I'm out of the house, I just have a messenger bag that I carry basically everywhere I go. So long as I remember to put it in the bag, the bag is too habitually carried for me to forget it.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
YES!

Benny, by being honest with yourself you can finally tackle the real problems in your life. I can tell from your posts that you aren't stupid, but there seemed to be something holding you back.

I speak from experience- I was diagnosed with adult ADHD 8 months ago. I wondered why I knew what the right things were but still couldn't bring myself to do them. Why I left everything to the last minute. Why I was always chasing time. Why my brain seemed to "fuzz out" during long lectures, and I couldn't concentrate on anything, yet could Wiki-walk like a mofo.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
First off, good on you benny. Get help and you'll be much better off. For the record in your future employment endeavors, companies have insurance for things like you hitting a car with a cart while on the job. That’s why if your ever in a car accident when you call your insurance company one of the first things they ask is "were you using the car for work purposes" because the COMPANY covers that. Yea you might be let go, but it’s always better to be honest about that sort of thing then try to cover it up. Sorry about your sister, but your taking the right steps to fix yourself. VA Goon rooting for you Mr. Snake.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!
I write stuff I need to remember on my hand - I guess it's the Sarah Palin technique of public speaking, but it works for me.

Also, good for you getting help Benny. And don't beat yourself too much over the Target thing.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Ursine Asylum posted:

I've found the "put your keys on top of it" method works pretty well for me when I'm leaving the house. As for once I'm out of the house, I just have a messenger bag that I carry basically everywhere I go. So long as I remember to put it in the bag, the bag is too habitually carried for me to forget it.

Both of these are what I've taken to doing, except I put my phone on top of my things. I have something I call my "work bag" and everything possible goes in it, and it goes with me everywhere all week. My boss asked me why I carry so much stuff and I just shrugged. My meds stay in that bag too, even if I take them in the evening. Diagnosed ADHD here as well. I could have written what Sunshine89 just said.

I've just been a lurker through your thread, Benny, and I'm glad you're getting help - it makes a world of difference. I'm cheering for you. :unsmith:

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

Sounds like your quite distracted, I found exercise, meditation and eating well helped me with this a lot (you've got some free time now). Also have the drugs your on changed your focus at all?

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005

Ursine Asylum posted:

No no no, you put your keys UNDERNEATH the thing you need, so you'll have to pick it up to get the keys! At least that's how I would do it :)

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Yad Rock posted:

No no no, you put your keys UNDERNEATH the thing you need, so you'll have to pick it up to get the keys! At least that's how I would do it :)

Nah, putting your keys underneath means you lose your keys under a pile of bills. Keys on top works as both paperweight and mental reminder.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Yad Rock posted:

That must be how I once lost my keys into a box of cereal.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Benny I'm proud of you and I'll do whatever I can to find some assistance programs for your meds. Keep trucking.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
You know, today I felt unusually optimistic. Don't know why, but it must be the meds kicking in. My psych has been unavailable today so I'll keep calling until I can get a hold of him.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
I really hope you work on structure and organization, first and foremost. Your writing has made it beyond obvious that your extremely disorganized, scatterbrained and probably live a fairly unstructured lifestyle.

Take a look around your room and ask yourself "Why is that object in that location?" Play the sorting game and see how many improvements you can make. Those little "sorting" activities from kindergarten are how I learned to organize my poo poo.

-Videogames go in a stack next to the PS3 and controllers.
-Drug paraphernalia goes in the little area underneath the coffee table.
-Shoes, button down shirts, sweaters, khakis, ties, jackets go in the closet.
-Socks, boxers, jeans, foldable clothing goes in the drawers.
-Books, pens, pencils, computer poo poo go on the desk.

I don't care who you are, your wallet, phone and keys belong on your night stand all clumped together.

The important part is consistency.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Oh, and I highly, highly recommend setting an alarm of some type (computer, cellphone, etc) to remind you to take meds if you have trouble remembering.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Oh, and I highly, highly recommend setting an alarm of some type (computer, cellphone, etc) to remind you to take meds if you have trouble remembering.

DO THIS! Ever have a day where you accidentally double dose? They aren't fun.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

It's forgetting to take the medicine that's getting me. Sometimes I'd just go straight to sleep then wake up in the middle of the night "Oh poo poo, I forgot to take my meds" and take them.

cname posted:

DO THIS! Ever have a day where you accidentally double dose? They aren't fun.
Dude, my sympathies

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Benny the Snake posted:

It's forgetting to take the medicine that's getting me. Sometimes I'd just go straight to sleep then wake up in the middle of the night "Oh poo poo, I forgot to take my meds" and take them.

With psych meds it is really important to take them at the same time every day. Otherwise you are setting yourself up for an unfun rollercoaster.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
As an FYI Benny if this thread does fall into archives without you moving out, a shadowy network of connected individuals has committed to making sure you get the reddest title possible. Consider this a mod challenge, except it's a committee of select posters who despise your pathetic snitching and whining.

Sheesh, look at that writing I just did. Maybe I'm the aspiring novelist who lives with his mom? Really makes you think.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

gently caress the ROW posted:

As an FYI Benny if this thread does fall into archives without you moving out, a shadowy network of connected individuals has committed to making sure you get the reddest title possible. Consider this a mod challenge, except it's a committee of select posters who despise your pathetic snitching and whining.

Sheesh, look at that writing I just did. Maybe I'm the aspiring novelist who lives with his mom? Really makes you think.

What a weird loving thing to post.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Uh I write fiction??? JEsus Christ

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

It sounds like a shadowy network of connected individuals need something better to do with their lives. v:shobon:v

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Ursine Asylum posted:

It sounds like a shadowy network of connected individuals need something better to do with their lives. v:shobon:v

God-drat it I've been owned

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

:d: :d: :d:

Benny the Snake posted:

Hello new fellow daily meds taker. I strongly recommend a Pill Turtle for this sort of thing:

http://www.healthcareaccessories.com/Apex-WEEKLY-PILL-TURTLE-XL-WITH-REMINDER-CLOCK-detail.htm?productId=7330214

http://www.amazon.com/Weekly-Pill-Turtle-Reminder-Clock/dp/B000N5YR9M

What's cool is that it's a container for your week of drugs with a built in alarm clock! And you can set up to four alarms a day! I found mine at a small independent pharmacy in my neighborhood. It is a handy little device, and you will probably find it very useful.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

gently caress the ROW posted:

So this is some kind of "Dark Brotherhood" kind of thing? Honestly I would hope that said posters would have better things to do than to red tag my rear end if x doesn't happen. I mean I understand out of spite; I'm a spiteful little SOB myself. But this is putting way to much time and effort.

Anyway, good news everyone! I have a job interview! My employment agency put a word into a local insurance company who needs an editor to go through all their documentation. Interview is at 11AM Monday. I'll have my clothes and my interview skills ready by then. Here's hoping this is the one.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Benny the Snake posted:

So this is some kind of "Dark Brotherhood" kind of thing? Honestly I would hope that said posters would have better things to do than to red tag my rear end if x doesn't happen. I mean I understand out of spite; I'm a spiteful little SOB myself. But this is putting way to much time and effort.
Better things to do like read comics and review them on the net on mom's dime? I really do love it when unemployed adults who live with their parents start telling others about what's a good use of time. The irony, it is delicious.

What isn't too much time and effort? Imagine if the effort you put into this thread, any of your extensive OP's or your amateur movie review website was put into not running carts into giant unmoving targets? Hell, if you had half the gumption of this shadow cabal you may still be using that college degree to push carts around a parking lot.

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 2, 2013

Jizznastics
Apr 1, 2012
irritating

Dr. Lariat posted:

Better things to do like read comics and review them on the net on mom's dime? I really do love it when unemployed adults who live with their parents start telling others about what's a good use of time. The irony, it is delicious.

What isn't too much time and effort? Imagine if the effort you put into this thread, any of your extensive OP's or your amateur movie review website was put into not running carts into giant unmoving targets? Hell, if you had half the gumption of this shadow cabal you may still be using that college degree to push carts around a parking lot.

Don't listen any sorta of attention to this rear end in a top hat. By the Way, much money is you have saved in the from your most recent job?

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Jizznastics posted:

Don't listen any sorta of attention to this rear end in a top hat. By the Way, much money is you have saved in the from your most recent job?

Is English your first language?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Dr. Lariat posted:

On the other hand, it does confer some measure of expertise as a time-waster.

e: Like a fat guy telling people not to be fat. He'd know.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Dr. Lariat posted:

People are posting actual words defending the "shadowy network" of redtaggers. Now THAT is delicious.

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

Just buy him the red title and shut the gently caress up about it. Jesus christ you loving dweebs.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Hahahaha. Break a leg at your interview, Benny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Good luck, Benny.

P.S. Do NOT tell them about your diagnoses. They don't need to know.

• Locked thread