Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Oh just got the ota for the nexus 10, didn't realise that was rolling out already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
Went to see the new N7 at Best Buy. I was considering it, but I wanted to wait to see if 4.3 improved my old N7. Boy did it! My homescreen used to redraw every single time I went to it. Now, it doesnt. Feels snappier overall. Thank god for the TRIM support. I'd love to have the 5.0ghz wireless to avoid random disconnects due to airwave congestion in my apartment complex, but I'm definitely holding off now.

The floor model's screen shut off with the CRT-style animation. Can I enable that on my old N7?

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Siroc posted:

The floor model's screen shut off with the CRT-style animation. Can I enable that on my old N7?

Isn't that some stock android thing ? My N4 has been doing it since I bought back in December. Didn't have to enable anything.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Siroc posted:

I think this has been an android animation since gingerbread. I recall my old evo 4g did it as well.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
Does lightflow work properly with the new Nexus 7? The notification light turns on but it's always white. Even when trying out the test all notifications mode it's still only white. I'm not sure if there's something wrong with my settings or if I just need to wait for an update.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

It is, but the N7 doesn't do it for some reason.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

pairofdimes posted:

Does lightflow work properly with the new Nexus 7? The notification light turns on but it's always white. Even when trying out the test all notifications mode it's still only white. I'm not sure if there's something wrong with my settings or if I just need to wait for an update.

Its a white LED.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Siroc posted:

Went to see the new N7 at Best Buy. I was considering it, but I wanted to wait to see if 4.3 improved my old N7. Boy did it! My homescreen used to redraw every single time I went to it. Now, it doesnt. Feels snappier overall. Thank god for the TRIM support. I'd love to have the 5.0ghz wireless to avoid random disconnects due to airwave congestion in my apartment complex, but I'm definitely holding off now.

Yeah mine would stumble through every screen after waking up for a good minute or two but it feels a lot more responsive now. Don't see the need for another 7 inch tablet for a long while if this keeps up.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Athenry posted:

It is, but the N7 doesn't do it for some reason.

The new one does, that's why I'm confused.

revolther
May 27, 2008
It's a boolean in framework-res.apk being set to true rather than false, it could have been ticked one way or the other by an update script or factory reset script or app without you noticing.

Anytime you find yourself asking, "Why can't my Android device do that arbitrary software function?", just search it on the play store, and now it can.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Ordered the new Nexus 7, has anyone had any success in rooting it ?

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Don Lapre posted:

Its a white LED.

Well, that's disappointing. Thanks for the info though.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Joy of joys, got the OTA update for my Nexus 10 to 4.3, downloaded it, restarted after applying it and it errored out with "No Command" as the text over the Android icon.

Looks like it's sort of known with a lot of other people and the only way to fix it is to do a factory stock reflash, so now I'm in the process of doing that.

Sucks because I wanted to not lose all of my savegames and whatnot and the last time I ran Titanium was before my trip to PA this past weekend when I played a ton of games.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Can't you adb pull your saves onto your computer?

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

Don Lapre posted:

Its a white LED.
Google should have spent money on a color LEDs, instead of that lovely 5 MP camera.

I'm also tempted to buy a 2012 Nexus 7 for my parents, but I feel the lower price doesn't compensate for the lesser performance. Anyone have any comparisons between the two after a couple days of use after putting some more wear into each tablet?

Allaniis fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 31, 2013

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Install Windows posted:

Typical tablet/phone reading applications have little animation effects changing pages that tend to last about as long as an e-ink page turn.

Right, but it's not as disruptive for me as the e-ink refresh. I overwhelmingly prefer the page turning animation.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Allaniis posted:

Google should have spent money on a color LEDs, instead of that lovely 5 MP camera.

I'm also tempted to buy a 2012 Nexus 7 for my parents, but I feel the lower price doesn't compensate for the lesser performance. Anyone have any comparisons between the two after a couple days of use after putting some more wear into each tablet?

9_9

Most people are going to want to take pictures with their tablet, and I'd wager most people never understood what the different colors of LED notifications on a Nexus meant.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Allaniis posted:

Every person who takes pictures with a tablet is a stupid rear end in a top hat and it's dumb that Google gave in to them. Now we get a nearly useless feature that either makes it more expensive or pushes other more useful things out.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Every person who takes pictures with a tablet is a stupid rear end in a top hat and it's dumb that Google gave in to them. Now we get a nearly useless feature that either makes it more expensive or pushes other more useful things out.

I was actually really frustrated at the lack of a back camera on my Nexus. I like to use it to take pictures of my knitting so I can update my blog without having to gently caress with sending pictures all over the place. Believe it or not it is actually kind of useful.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Pucklynn posted:

I was actually really frustrated at the lack of a back camera on my Nexus. I like to use it to take pictures of my knitting so I can update my blog without having to gently caress with sending pictures all over the place. Believe it or not it is actually kind of useful.

This is the exact same thing my spouse uses it for. Brace yourself for "just use your smartphone for it!"

God forbid people try to use a device differently than how doctor rear end in a top hat, forums android expert, deigns it may be used.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Well at least you're not using it in public.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I recall being annoyed a few times when I couldn't scan a QR code on my Nexus 7, but on balance I think I'd still rather have a color LED than a back camera.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I used the back camera to set up Google Authenticator on my new Nexus 7, and beyond that I imagine I'm going to never use it again. If it's any indication, the only things in the camera roll on my iPad are instances of my toddler goofing around with the thing and having no idea what the hell he's doing.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

I used the back camera to set up Google Authenticator on my new Nexus 7, and beyond that I imagine I'm going to never use it again. If it's any indication, the only things in the camera roll on my iPad are instances of my toddler goofing around with the thing and having no idea what the hell he's doing.
Can you have Authenticator on more than one device now? Maybe I'll install it on my Q.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Jeez you guys are a hard crowd to please. Losing the color LED kind of sucks, but gaining a camera is an acceptable compromise for most people. I don't care either way, I'm just happy that the screen is higher res and they bumped up the speed and RAM.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

A camera on a tablet is useful when you want to take a picture of a full sheet of paper (say, a form, something from a textbook, or maybe a newspaper article) and have it on a device you'll actually be able to read it on again later. It's not universally useful like a cellphone camera, or as good as a dedicated camera, but if you've got something that's pretty much perfect for showing PDFs and such it makes sense to have something that functions as a kind of cheap, fast scanner built in.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

1st AD posted:

Jeez you guys are a hard crowd to please.
Obviously you've never read my posts before. I think the screen upgrade alone is worth the cost. I still have to find something to complain about, though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

1st AD posted:

Losing the color LED kind of sucks

Well, it didn't lose the color LED. The original had no notification LED at all.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Can you have Authenticator on more than one device now? Maybe I'll install it on my Q.

Always could, if you had all your devices in front of you at the time, or you saved the code. The QR code (and that long string of letters they give you if you can't scan a QR code) is just a seed for a time-based number generator. So if you enter it into multiple devices, they'll all have the same code on them at once. I've got the same authenticator account on my iPad, my phone, and my Nexus 7, and the codes all are perfectly in sync.

You only get the QR code and seed string once, though, the first time you set it up. So if you have a new device and didn't save the code, you have to re-enroll in 2FA all over again.

I printed off the QR code and put it in a secure place at home, so when I got my Nexus 7 I just had to pull out that sheet and scan it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Well, it didn't lose the color LED. The original had no notification LED at all.

Oh well, then I have no idea why people are complaining.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

1st AD posted:

Oh well, then I have no idea why people are complaining.

I think its just the fact that Google/Asus saved what, half a cent, using a white instead of multicolored LED? (I don't actually have any idea what the cost difference would be!)

Whether you think most people care or know about different notifications being different colors, don't most phones with notification lights have multicolored ones? So obviously someone thinks people appreciate the multicolored notifications. Its just a very conspicuous cut corner. I don't personally care one way or the other, but that's what I think people might be annoyed about.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RVProfootballer posted:

Whether you think most people care or know about different notifications being different colors, don't most phones with notification lights have multicolored ones?

They don't, no. Your typical phone notification light will only be one color.

Dr Blah PhD
Aug 11, 2007
Property of tithin
Okay, question.

I want to upgrade my old N7, its still under a replacement plan at a staples, I can just go say soemthing is wrong with it and pay the extra 35 bux for the upgrade to the 2nd generation model. But, this would also include another replacement plan (40), and the cost of another case. So, by exchanging, I would pay close to 90 bux. My issue with the old N7 is that it seems to hiccup on FF, and sometimes have lag, but with a new OS update, Im hearing those issues will be fixed via software improvements.

So, my question is... is it worth it?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Install Windows posted:

They don't, no. Your typical phone notification light will only be one color.
No? Most devices with notification LEDs do multiple colors.
https://holidayflow.com:8443/ff/page/website/lightflow/pageId/1695

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

I don't see how 40~ out of hundreds constitutes "most".

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Install Windows posted:

I don't see how 40~ out of hundreds constitutes "most".
I can't find a better list. Those seem to be the most popular Android devices (in the US) from the past few years. I can't think of any Android device other than the new Nexus 7 that only has a single-color notification LED.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Dr Blah PhD posted:

Okay, question.

I want to upgrade my old N7, its still under a replacement plan at a staples, I can just go say soemthing is wrong with it and pay the extra 35 bux for the upgrade to the 2nd generation model. But, this would also include another replacement plan (40), and the cost of another case. So, by exchanging, I would pay close to 90 bux. My issue with the old N7 is that it seems to hiccup on FF, and sometimes have lag, but with a new OS update, Im hearing those issues will be fixed via software improvements.

So, my question is... is it worth it?

Why don't you sideload the OTA update and find out for yourself before spending money on a new toy?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

My completey uncited claim totally beats your incomplete information.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What's the resolution of images that the Nexus 7 FHD 5mp camera produces? Depending on the aspect ratio it can vary wildly. Supposedly if the camera's aspect ratio matches the screen (which is pretty rare, in my experience) it would be 2984 x 1680.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

1st AD posted:

Can't you adb pull your saves onto your computer?
Not that I could see, I tried using the Nexus Toolkit to backup what I had but it said I needed to be in ADB mode which I obviously couldn't get into.

In the end it's an annoyance and nothing major since whatever games I played none of them had hours and hours of playtime on them.

I'm more annoyed that the update failed at all and sent my n10 into a state that required a complete reflash back to stock.

Oh and reflashing back to stock and wiping the user profile data partition did completely fix the issue and get me back up and running.