Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtmaHorizon
Apr 3, 2012

thylacine posted:

Watch these guys, they have real fun on dual-sports (one of them is on a DR650, a similiar to KLR bike. A lot of people start with KLRs then try out other bikes):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDl0NRpoddI

Thanks for this link. Was an hour of fun watching!

Now I will put DR650SE on my wishlist. (5'5" here, reporting for some enduro duty; just after I get a license though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

You could part it for easily that. Good shape swingarms alone are up to, what, 500 bucks?

True, I just promised myself to have less poo poo and not do that thing where I buy a bike and set up my own supply chain for it. Did that with my XT600s, did that with the KLR, have avoided that with my WR250R, and here I am doing it with the Futura. Unfortunately I somehow see motorcycles as a reflection of my life and existence as a whole, so things like "do I get another bike?" are of paramount importance. I called the guy, we'll see if it's still available. :unsmith:

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

MotoMind posted:

True, I just promised myself to have less poo poo and not do that thing where I buy a bike and set up my own supply chain for it.

I think an exception should be made for Italian bikes, its not like Piaggio are going to supply you with parts in an affordable, timely manner.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

He hasn't called me back? Do you think he's found another buyer? I sent him two text messages and he won't even tell me if it's sold. Ugh.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago

MotoMind posted:

He hasn't called me back? Do you think he's found another buyer? I sent him two text messages and he won't even tell me if it's sold. Ugh.

This sounds like the anxiety you get when a girl hasn't called you or texted you back. In truth, this is much more important.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I don't want to keep calling or else he'll think I will pay his full price. I tried calling from a different number, but still no answer, so at least I know he's not ignoring me.

I should have called yesterday, but I just wasn't sure I wanted it.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

OMG he called me back, but he's house-sitting. He's going to think about his schedule and let me know when he's available.

Guys, guys, I am so excited.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Are ya?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Buyin' is in some ways similar to sellin'. You have to be ready to pull the trigger at a moments notice, if an opportunity crosses your path which checks all your boxes, no hesitation.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I have caught a few craigslist sellers off guard with my unwillingness to hesitate on something that checks all my boxes.

"Oh... That was easy"

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

OMG, I've got a date for 9PM in Sonoma. Why did I ever doubt that this was meant to be. Got to get ready now, thanks for the emotional support guys.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
When I looked at my first Futura, the guy said he hadn't had any lookers in a month. I took a day to think it over and when I called him back, he'd sold it a few hours earlier. I ended up all in all paying like $1500 more for the one I got. On the other hand, that first one is meh silver and mine is red.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

This will be my second silver. :3: I think I paid $4500 or something for the first one. 2003 with 5K on the odo.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The silver one I looked at was I think an '04 with 15? 18?k for $4000. The red '04 I ended up with was $5k with just under 12,000 miles, but then my fly-n-ride fell through and I ended up having to ship it. And then it needed a new battery and tires... we just won't count those.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago
Don't know why, but I want this. Bad.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/mcy/3970464985.html

Abe Froman fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 31, 2013

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

MotoMind posted:

OMG, I've got a date for 9PM in Sonoma. Why did I ever doubt that this was meant to be. Got to get ready now, thanks for the emotional support guys.

Well that was useless, except as a learning experience in negotiation.

I drive up there and find two guys in a barn down a dirt driveway, filled with various motorcycle parts and a couple Harleys, including one on a service stand. The Futura is standing ignobly in the dirt at the barn door, with its bags and other parts arrayed out in the driveway outside. I look it over and aside from some leaking coolant, it looks just like a crashed bike that had been sitting outside for a month.

I told the seller that I'd give him $1200, and he asked if I wanted the saddlebags that were standing in a separate place, and I said "that's with the bags." He countered with $1300 and I said fine. So let's get the title out!

About the title, he begins...the title is in his backpack at work, but we can work something out until he can bring it over. I ask him if he has anything that's in his name, insurance, registration, anything? Nothing. His friend asks him if the title is in his name, and it turns out that that isn't in his name either. He may or may not have filled out the back of the title with his info.

I looked at them quizzically for a while as his friend tried to convince me that it was all fine (they both worked in a motorcycle dealership, so they said) and that it could be resolved with a bill of sale. I let that go on for a while then said I'd give him $1000. The balked at that, so I said $1200, and they bitched some more, so I said it's my final offer, and the seller said $1300 is his bottom dollar.

So I left. Probably not the best move economically, but I didn't want to deal with any potential bullshit.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Having ridden one (they're pretty common here), you aren't missing out on much. I say this as someone who has owned a couple of 400cc pocket superbikes.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 28, 2019

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

MotoMind posted:

I told the seller that I'd give him $1200, and he asked if I wanted the saddlebags that were standing in a separate place
What a douche.

I think you made the right decision. If it's still for sale in a month offer him $750 :v:

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

MotoMind posted:

So I left. Probably not the best move economically, but I didn't want to deal with any potential bullshit.

That wasn't potential bullshit. That was bullshit. They didn't have the title, and trying to title based on a bill of sale (useless because he is not the titled owner) would have been expensive and time consuming if not impossible.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I would really wonder if that poo poo was stolen, wrecked, and the 'title' doesn't actually exist

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
There's a long thread on ADV about titling untitled bikes: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655441

After you call the police(?) and find out if it's stolen or not.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I should have said, he offered to drive to his work with me and get the title and prior bill of sale. Who knows how that would have turned out.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Buy it, if only for the handguards. It seems like a good deal all around though.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

MotoMind posted:

I should have said, he offered to drive to his work with me and get the title and prior bill of sale. Who knows how that would have turned out.

Oh, it's like a deal where he has a title, but maybe it's not in his name? Like he's Joe, and Bob sold the bike to Joe but Joe hasn't gotten around to going to the DMV and getting it registered in his name.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I have to assume if it was so easy to get the correct title, it would have been done before he put the bike up for sale.

Or maybe he's so stupid he didn't think "so where's the title" would come up? Its either stupid or scammy, good call walking away.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I've bought a few bikes where the owner was totally clueless about title stuff. We just go to the DOL together and I hold the money until they tell me it's all good if I suspect things might go off the rails.

ButtFaceMcCrackin
Nov 6, 2004

You'll never get confused about which end to use!
So thinking of picking up a Yamaha FZ-09 when they come out later this year. Problem is I heard the only orders being delivered of the 2014 model are going to be pre-orders placed now. Anyone have experience with pre-ordering a new bike? Also is this a colossally bad idea since it's the first model year?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

ButtFaceMcCrackin posted:

So thinking of picking up a Yamaha FZ-09 when they come out later this year. Problem is I heard the only orders being delivered of the 2014 model are going to be pre-orders placed now. Anyone have experience with pre-ordering a new bike? Also is this a colossally bad idea since it's the first model year?

Most places just want a small (refundable) deposit to reserve one.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

ButtFaceMcCrackin posted:

Also is this a colossally bad idea since it's the first model year?
In my completely anecdotal evidence, 1st year teething pains aren't as much of a problem with bikes as it is with autos so I wouldn't really be too concerned about that.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

MotoMind posted:

Sounds like someone who never transferred the title to himself and then wants to sell it off which is shady enough already.

I keep all my titles in a folder in my room, not exactly something you'd leave in a backpack at work.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

infraboy posted:

Sounds like someone who never transferred the title to himself and then wants to sell it off which is shady enough already.

Depends on where you are; that's no problem with the WA DOL.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
1985 v65 Sabre:

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/3973966092.html

Would this be much of an upgrade from an '81 750 Seca?

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
If you mean in the power department then yeah, it's theoretically got almost twice the ponies as your Seca. It'd be a bad rear end bike if it's not tired as hell and the engine hasn't lost it's power to the oiling problems those early Honda V4's are plagued with.

It's a rocket with narrow 80's forks and will have it's share of both cooling and electrical nightmares. If you're interested in big 80's V4's then look around for the Magna, Suzuki Madura and Yamaha V-Max as well. If you're not... then run away because there's plenty of more modern bikes with better handling, more punch, and less issues.

The perk of the V-Max is they stayed pretty well the same straight up to 2007 before the Gen-2 released in 2009. Having all that 80's glory on something made in the last decade is the best of both worlds for a select few (just me).

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 2, 2013

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
I think I'm going to buy a brand new 690 Duke. I'm currently riding a KLR but I want something with more oomph and that's strictly street. Am I going to regret buying a duke?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

never happy posted:

I think I'm going to buy a brand new 690 Duke. I'm currently riding a KLR but I want something with more oomph and that's strictly street. Am I going to regret buying a duke?

Only when you look up and see the 990 Superduke sitting there, 300CCs higher than you. Laughing. Mocking.

Keep chasing the dragon.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.

Safety Dance posted:

Only when you look up and see the 990 Superduke sitting there, 300CCs higher than you. Laughing. Mocking.

Keep chasing the dragon.

haha. My original plan was to buy the Superduke but I felt it would be too much bike for me to enjoy it.

RunOfTheMill
Sep 24, 2004

never happy posted:

My boss had a duke that I rode for a while. Maybe it's just me but that thing is super uncomfortable. Coming from a KLR you may be fine with it, but I can't imagine riding it for more than an hour or so. Either way though, it's a sexy rear end bike with plenty of power.

tzam
Mar 17, 2009
So I'm looking at buying a 2001 cbr600 f4i. I inspected it and took a test drive a few days ago and it seemed flawless, extremely good condition. I just had the service history emailed to me, and the owner has had it in the shop 2 times in the last few months for poor running and backfiring, with smoke and black oily stuff coming from the exhaust (going off the invoices only). They messed about with the inlet and fuel system and cleaned the fouled plugs, and none of these issues were at all evident when I inspected the bike.

Is this likely to be the fuel pressure regulator issue common to these bikes, or should I run screaming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Does is say what kind of color of smoke?