Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Non Sequitur posted:

What happens to your vassals depends on Crown Authority. At the lowest level, they become independent.

Still vassals diplomatically like the France start or truly independent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

I couldn't hear their answer to the mod question, what was it?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

RagnarokAngel posted:

http://www.europauniversalis4.com/buy

The page lists about every online vendor out there right under the preorder dlc so yes.

Ah, thanks :tipshat:.

Kainser posted:

Theocracies can't carry a DLC on their own so I'm sure that there will be something more even if they do that.

e; actually I guess holy orders being playable would be enough. The Paradox Forums sure love their holy orders.

Holy Orders/Mercenaries could be a lot of fun. Picking which contracts to take and which nobles to keep on their good side, investing gold in composing your merc band to either serve a specialized role or be a doomstack, etc. Or play a holy order, fight your religious enemies while trying to carve out a small realm of your own.

Only problems I see are 1) entirely landless characters, and 2) succession might be weird and you'd basically have to use the republic elections to pick then next leader, but if you don't get elected to succeed the old ruler I don't really know what the player could do in that case.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

DrProsek posted:

Only problems I see are 1) entirely landless characters, and 2) succession might be weird and you'd basically have to use the republic elections to pick then next leader, but if you don't get elected to succeed the old ruler I don't really know what the player could do in that case.

Possibly more republic pseudo-mechanics, like your own personal family fortress. Aw yeeeeah.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Westminster System posted:

Possibly more republic pseudo-mechanics, like your own personal family fortress. Aw yeeeeah.

Ooh, true, have each mercenary leader have their own personal fort, and within each merc band have a few merc captains that all command a portion of the entire band. If you lose the election you only have command of your personal forces, you can't negotiate contracts, but you can conspire with other captains to take over the band. Holy Orders can maybe work similar but you invest piety instead of gold to get appointed the new head of the order. Basically mercs would be like landless republics but I think it could still be awesome; you got all this gold/piety but no land and no real way to get it other than rewards in a crusade or taking it from a client who didn't pay.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Darkrenown posted:

No. That's only really true for CK2, and I suppose EU4, as the big patches and DLCs go hand in hand. The HoI3 one is just some unit models.

Alright. Thank you for the quick answer!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Dibujante posted:

We gave him Wiz, so he better respect :colbert:

Picturing Johan as an Aztec god now. Poor Wiz. Oh well.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Demo out "by the end of next week, unless people gently caress up." :v:

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Wasn't the MoTE demo delayed because the whole office got sick? I certainly hope that doesn't happen again.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

I would go CRAZY for an adventurer DLC! It's something I've been longing for since the release of the game. Start at the very bottom and scheme and conquer your way up, yeeeesss~

And the Republic even proves that being a technically 'landless' character doesn't have to be boring at all!

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Allyn posted:

Tax levels of counties in EU4 are based off how developed the holdings are when you export your CK2 save? Welp. Norse raiding and destroying as many holdings as possible to make everyone else as poor as possible? :getin:

I think they said that it's solely the number of holdings you have in the province. Not what type or how developed they are.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Puella Magissima posted:

Wasn't the MoTE demo delayed because the whole office got sick? I certainly hope that doesn't happen again.

Speaking of MotE, has there been anything said about more content for that game? I thought it was pretty neat despite its relatively simple scope and scale and I wonder if they plan on expanding it in any way or if it didn't sell enough to warrant that.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

ExtraNoise posted:

What I think you mean is that Victoria III should come with an EU4 to V3 converter!

If only there was any hope of seeing V3 in the next couple of years. :smith:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Which one of CK2 and V2 was "expected" to be a sales failure? I imagine that it was actually neither of them, since Paradox wouldn't have invested in it, but I remember there being bets of headshaving involved if a game sold well enough.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

PittTheElder posted:

Which one of CK2 and V2 was "expected" to be a sales failure? I imagine that it was actually neither of them, since Paradox wouldn't have invested in it, but I remember there being bets of headshaving involved if a game sold well enough.

It was Victoria 2

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
IIRC, the CEO said it wouldn't turn a profit and Johan insisted it would.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They did a dumb publicity stunt where the CEO said he'd shave his head if it turned a profit, he ended up doing so before the game was even out (presumably on the strength of pre-orders).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

And did V2 do ok? I mean it got 2 expansions so it must have done at least ok.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

And did V2 do ok? I mean it got 2 expansions so it must have done at least ok.

Yeah, it was profitable. Paradox doesn't release hard sale numbers but they were at least able to turn a profit on it.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Out of all the franchises (CK, EU, V and HoI) I do believe it's the least popular one though.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
That's a shame. I just started playing it with HoD, and I think it's great!

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

Out of all the franchises (CK, EU, V and HoI) I do believe it's the least popular one though.

Which makes me sad, because it's my favorite Paradox series. :smith: My preferences go V, CK, HoI, EU.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I always find the main EU series to strike the best balance between being interesting historically and fun to play. CK2 has good gameplay, but I'm not particularly interested in the actual historical milieu. On the other hand, I think Victoria covers one of the most interesting historical time periods, but the gameplay ends up being a slog.

I would be fine if I never played another game set during WWII ever again.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Any chance the converter becomes available for folks who don't pre-order?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Waffles Inc. posted:

It'll pretty definitely be paid DLC if you don't pre-order.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I always find the main EU series to strike the best balance between being interesting historically and fun to play. CK2 has good gameplay, but I'm not particularly interested in the actual historical milieu. On the other hand, I think Victoria covers one of the most interesting historical time periods, but the gameplay ends up being a slog.

CK2 wasn't even meant to be a typical paradox game I believe. It was originally being handled by a russian studio but when they finally looked at it after not hearing progress for months it was a complete mess so they took over the project and finished what they could.

Waffles Inc. posted:

They absolutely said it would just aren't sure when.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

Of course people on Reddit are getting angry because they think it might not ever be released to puny non pre-order people.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

RagnarokAngel posted:

CK2 wasn't even meant to be a typical paradox game I believe. It was originally being handled by a russian studio but when they finally looked at it after not hearing progress for months it was a complete mess so they took over the project and finished what they could.

Ehh.. Not really.. Russians were contracted for ck1, but didnt deliver so we had to make it ourselvrs.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
How will national ideas work in a CK2 - EU4 game? If there is no France but a large Kingdom of Brittany, will it get France's NIs or just a generic set?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I would love to see another HoI, especially now that they finally seem to have figured out how to make not only unique and ambitious games, but also polished ones :)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

pdxjohan posted:

Ehh.. Not really.. Russians were contracted for ck1, but didnt deliver so we had to make it ourselvrs.

My bad, thanks for clarifying.

V for Vegas posted:

How will national ideas work in a CK2 - EU4 game? If there is no France but a large Kingdom of Brittany, will it get France's NIs or just a generic set?

Generic ones based on the culture according to the stream.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

V for Vegas posted:

Hopefully you'll be able to set custom NIs for anomalously successful countries, though I'm guessing the Aztec and Roman empire's will have baked in NIs

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Rumda posted:

Hopefully you'll be able to set custom NIs for anomalously successful countries, though I'm guessing the Aztec and Roman empire's will have baked in NIs

It's a mod, so yeah it will be really easy to create your own NI for a given country or just borrow the NI group from some other country.

Hopefully completely generic NIs get phased out in favor of regional/religious/cultural generics, so a Christian generic group, which is different from the Muslim generic group, etc etc.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
I wonder how many day one mod packs there will be to give Bulgaria the NIs it so richly deserves and that were cruely robed from it by the filthy racists at PI.

Rudi Starnberg fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 31, 2013

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Also I'd imagine modding in new NIs for your nation wouldn't be too hard, since they generally seem to be modifiers rather than whole new mechanics. I do expect some going in by hand to touch up the conversion but just from what we've heard so far, the converter sounds amazing and if all I have to do is go in and touch up NIs I'd call it perfect.

E: should have refreshed, beatten by Fintilgin

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Mister Bates posted:

Which makes me sad, because it's my favorite Paradox series. :smith: My preferences go V, CK, HoI, EU.

This is exactly my order, though I haven't played HoI yet. I like the EU franchise, but the other games interest me more.

That being said, I would probably be able to die happy if a modern geopolitical game from Paradox came out. It's probably why I'm working so hard on the modern age mod for Vic 2.

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control

pdxjohan posted:

I was in the CK1 alpha. I think it was a few months after you guys took back the game from those clowns. It was so far behind schedule. I'm amazed you guys actually got it out in a decent time frame, and the game ended up being fairly fun.

I'm so excited for EU4 though. EU3 was a disappointment to me at first until HttT, I believe, when country/culture-specific decisions and missions and things finally began to properly act as a successor to the rigid EU2-style events. Even fantasy-style ones are great, but EU3 at release pretty much felt like HoI3 to me, no reason to pick anything but your favorite blob and color and starting area. No one better gently caress up, I want my demo.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

ExtraNoise posted:

This is exactly my order, though I haven't played HoI yet. I like the EU franchise, but the other games interest me more.

That being said, I would probably be able to die happy if a modern geopolitical game from Paradox came out. It's probably why I'm working so hard on the modern age mod for Vic 2.

I would really, really kill for an actual Cold War game. It'd probably be one of my favorite games of all time. One of my favorite things about the Kaiserreich mod is how it captured moral relativism and proxy wars. I like the idea of power blocs spreading Ideology through subversion, and find the actual warfare bits kinda boring.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Holy hell, I thought the converter was just pie-in-the-sky talk from the devs, and if it actually happened we'd see it in a year or so. This is pretty much the best news ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Kersch posted:

That's a shame. I just started playing it with HoD, and I think it's great!

Well, the base game was pretty rough. It was still my favorite PI game until CK2 came out and one of my favorite games ever, but even I felt like I was enjoying it in spite of its tendency to be a "slog," as CharlieFoxtrot put it. The two expansions just really kicked it up to a whole other level, though, especially HoD. Now it's just a legitimately great game, no enjoying it in spite of anything. I mean, it's not perfect and I doubt we'll ever see a global grand strategy game that is, but it's drat good.

• Locked thread