Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Fo3 posted:

No. A beef wellington is lightly cooked and then chilled. Then wrapped in pastry and cooked for enough to cook the pastry, the beef doesn't cook much more because it's chilled before hand.

I guess I was thinking more of chateaubriand, I don't think I've ever actually eaten beef Wellington and I've never cooked either myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Gelato! Goddammit.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

How the hell do you deep fry chips/fries. They always come out burnt.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

SwissCM posted:

Rinse the potatoes well to remove some of the starch. Heat the oil to 325 F/163 C until they are cooked through (3 to 5 minutes depending on thickness). Remove and drain. Increase the oil temperature to 375 F/190 C. Add the fries again until they're as crisp as you want (1 or 2 minutes). Remove, drain, season, cool, eat.

dcgrp
Jun 23, 2008
There is also a slow way to make fries.

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/19/an-easy-way-to-make-french-fries/?_r=0

I do this all the time because it is so easy, but SubG's way is considered the normal way.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Anyone have experience with confectioner's glaze (shellac)? I want to coat the inside of mason jars to block out light so I can use them for storing tea. I don't want to use paint for obvious reasons. I could just paint the outside of the jar I guess but I still don't like that idea for some reason.

Can shellac be colored, and if so, how? Would regular food coloring work? Could I make it opaque enough to block light?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

SwissCM posted:

Part 1

Part 2

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

hayden. posted:

Anyone have experience with confectioner's glaze (shellac)? I want to coat the inside of mason jars to block out light so I can use them for storing tea. I don't want to use paint for obvious reasons. I could just paint the outside of the jar I guess but I still don't like that idea for some reason.

Can shellac be colored, and if so, how? Would regular food coloring work? Could I make it opaque enough to block light?

Use a tin like everyone else.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

buy amber jars http://www.specialtybottle.com/

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

This site has some pretty cheap tins. The reason I was avoiding tins was because they were like $12 each on amazon and I was like gently caress that. I wasn't going to spend $120 on storing my tea. Thanks for the link.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
If you don't want to buy another container, wrap your jars in foil to block out the light.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

hayden. posted:

This site has some pretty cheap tins. The reason I was avoiding tins was because they were like $12 each on amazon and I was like gently caress that. I wasn't going to spend $120 on storing my tea. Thanks for the link.

buy a lot, shipping is kinda pricy.

I made an order recently for some tincture bottles for homemade bitters and tinctures and tacked on a few big jars for pickles and a foaming hand pump thing for sillyfoodfoams.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

contrapants posted:

If you don't want to buy another container, wrap your jars in foil to block out the light.

Why didn't I think of this? Thanks for the idea, why do I always overcomplicate things?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
poo poo, I've been puttin them inside a box all this time. Foil sounds more convenient...

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Sooooo, I'm looking for a enameled dutch oven but I can't justify the expense of a great Staub or Creuset one. I was about to pull the trigger on a Lodge one, but I've read a lot of review of them chipping after less than 6 months of use which seems quite ridiculous if you ask me. I have no interest in buying anything that won't last at the very least 5 years. I know I could just buy a cast iron one, but the whole seasonning and can't use soap on them doesn't seem so great. Any thread about this or just suggestions?

Also, looking for a griddle pan. Is worth having one if I don't already have a regular cast iron pan or are my priorities wrong.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

KingColliwog posted:

Sooooo, I'm looking for a enameled dutch oven but I can't justify the expense of a great Staub or Creuset one. I was about to pull the trigger on a Lodge one, but I've read a lot of review of them chipping after less than 6 months of use which seems quite ridiculous if you ask me. I have no interest in buying anything that won't last at the very least 5 years. I know I could just buy a cast iron one, but the whole seasonning and can't use soap on them doesn't seem so great. Any thread about this or just suggestions?

Also, looking for a griddle pan. Is worth having one if I don't already have a regular cast iron pan or are my priorities wrong.

No need for a griddle pan imo. More surface area contact = more maillards.

I've had my lodge dutch oven for about 6 months now and it hasn't chipped yet, so I couldn't offer any more advice past that. I've enjoyed using it though and the fact that it was affordable.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

KingColliwog posted:

Some friends of mine got a cheap enamel Martha Stewart branded dutch oven and used it for several years. Looked to be in good shape when I saw it at 3+ years old. I have a great Le Creuset but only because it was a present, got lucky there.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I got both of my staub cocottes from Homegoods and they are both tanks and you can absolutely feel the price difference between them and LC's if you compare the two side by side.

I have a lodge double burner reversible cast iron griddle pan/grill and it is great for hosting taco nights with friends or for cooking up a mess of breakfast short order cook style. also dosa. also flat topping a lot of burgers. or steaks for that matter. hell a flat top is awesome for a lot of stuff.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

GrAviTy84 posted:

I got both of my staub cocottes from Homegoods and they are both tanks and you can absolutely feel the price difference between them and LC's if you compare the two side by side.

I have a lodge double burner reversible cast iron griddle pan/grill and it is great for hosting taco nights with friends or for cooking up a mess of breakfast short order cook style. also dosa. also flat topping a lot of burgers. or steaks for that matter. hell a flat top is awesome for a lot of stuff.

Oooh I thought he meant just a grill pan! Griddle pans are great for poo poo like pancakes. I wish I had one :(

Hauki
May 11, 2010

KingColliwog posted:

I got mine at some sort of clearance shop like Ross or something, was an Emerilware. I think it cost me... $38? Well worth it, it's held up for the few years I've had it.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I have a Le Creuset dutch oven that's in its 9th year of use. I wish I have bought the Staub one though, I recently convinced my parents to buy that instead of LC, and theirs is so much nicer. My pot is getting tiny scratches at the inside bottom and getting brown. However, they do honor the lifetime warrenty, so in a few years when it's more worn I'll send it in for a new one.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

jomiel posted:

I have a Le Creuset dutch oven that's in its 9th year of use. I wish I have bought the Staub one though, I recently convinced my parents to buy that instead of LC, and theirs is so much nicer. My pot is getting tiny scratches at the inside bottom and getting brown. However, they do honor the lifetime warrenty, so in a few years when it's more worn I'll send it in for a new one.
What is the point of a spotless pot? The browning of the enamel shows use and holds all the memories

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

feelz good man posted:

What is the point of a spotless pot? The browning of the enamel shows use and holds all the memories

Would you say, fond memories?

:downsrim:

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011

Breaky posted:

Would you say, fond memories?

:downsrim:

Well played sir, well played.

I have a question. I have a lot of margarine stashed away in the freezer back from when I used to sell baked goods, what can I use it in where it's as good or better than butter?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Slifter posted:

I have a question. I have a lot of margarine stashed away in the freezer back from when I used to sell baked goods, what can I use it in where it's as good or better than butter?
Left to choose between the two I guess I'd prefer margarine over butter for anal lube. Apart from that can't really think of anything.

Seriously. Dietary restriction, recipe that was designed for margarine instead of butter. If you have one of those use margarine, otherwise use butter. I mean if you just can't stand to waste it you can use it instead of butter as a spread and that kind of thing, but if it was me I'd just chuck it.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Slifter posted:

Well played sir, well played.

It's margarine, it's cheap. Throw it out.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Slifter posted:

Throw it out.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm making spaghetti carbonara tonight and just noticed my eggs are slightly dented/cracked. They don't appear to be leaking out or anything, just a small dent in them like if I knocked them against a table to crack them.

Are they still safe to eat, especially raw like with carbonara?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm making spaghetti carbonara tonight and just noticed my eggs are slightly dented/cracked. They don't appear to be leaking out or anything, just a small dent in them like if I knocked them against a table to crack them.

Are they still safe to eat, especially raw like with carbonara?

Proper carbonara isn't really raw once served, it's like, tempered. Unless they smell, they're probably fine.

Unless you do that nestled yolk thing, which isn't really traditional carbonara. I'd probably still be fine with it unless the eggs stink.

tl;dr decide based on smell

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

KingColliwog posted:

Another vote for Lodge. I use my enameled dutch oven every couple weeks, and have had it for a couple years with no issues. I also love my other Lodge cast iron, for griddles/pans/whatever.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
FWIW, I just got a lodge enameled pot this past Christmas and I use it for most everything. Little discolored on the inside, but that's just from normal use it seems.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

GrAviTy84 posted:

tl;dr decide based on smell

Life's eternal lesson.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Ok, I just felt a little bad about chucking 20 pounds of the stuff.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Slifter posted:

Ok, I just felt a little bad about chucking 20 pounds of the stuff.

Make a sculpture and sell it to goldenpalace.com

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Margarine is shortening essentially, with some milk fat added. So I guess where you can use shortening you can use margarine. Like pie crusts.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I need a new probe thermometer. My old one was a cheapo $10-from-Target kind of thing and it only worked for a month before it started misreading temperatures, failing to turn on or off without mashing the button a dozen times and eventually ceasing to read temperatures altogether.

I don't want something too expensive (as neat as one of those laser thermometers would be, it not in my budget) but I want something that will last more than half a dozen uses. Any recommendations?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Nighthand posted:

I need a new probe thermometer. My old one was a cheapo $10-from-Target kind of thing and it only worked for a month before it started misreading temperatures, failing to turn on or off without mashing the button a dozen times and eventually ceasing to read temperatures altogether.

I don't want something too expensive (as neat as one of those laser thermometers would be, it not in my budget) but I want something that will last more than half a dozen uses. Any recommendations?

Thermapen if you can afford it. It's worth every penny. Thermoworks RT600c if you can't. It is also very very good.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Where the hell can I buy smoked butter from online? I live in Chicago now and I cannot find a grocer that sells it whatsoever. It for some reason was regularly sold at a neighborhood grocer in New Orleans where I did live. Now I can't find it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

dcgrp posted:

There is also a slow way to make fries.

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/19/an-easy-way-to-make-french-fries/?_r=0

I do this all the time because it is so easy, but SubG's way is considered the normal way.

What what what? Does this really work? Are they good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Scientastic posted:

What what what? Does this really work? Are they good?

Yeah it works fine. I did the recipe from CI and if they're too thick you gotta cook them for awhile but they taste like fries.