Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Ugh. I've got everything painted, and have had for a week and a half, but I'm aiming for that In Battle bonus with an actual game of 40k tomorrow afternoon. Cutting it super close here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
I think that you don't need to do that bonus in the same month as the model is actually painted. The only requirement is that it is a model oathed in this season, so you should be able to include the In Battle pics in a later month

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
:siren:OATH FAILED:siren:

There's a lot of excuses for this. I could say I just moved and had to pack up all my minis, or that I hate (absolutely hate!) the idea of chopping up my miniatures even to complete the oath, or whatever.

Fact is, I was kind of lazy. I could've just bought a new mini to chop up, but I didn't want to. I do seriously hate cutting into my dudes for stuff like that, and I didn't want to be bothered by it, so I just sat here procrastinating until I could tell myself, "Well, now that stuff's all packed! Not your fault." But that's just bitchspeak for 'I am lazy.'m So I failed. While TOXXed.

Sorry guys.

(like, I know this means nothing to anyone, but I am kind of disappointed by my laziness, bleh)

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Deanut Pancer posted:

I think that you don't need to do that bonus in the same month as the model is actually painted. The only requirement is that it is a model oathed in this season, so you should be able to include the In Battle pics in a later month

Oh poo poo, you're right! Well, guess I'll just put that bonus off to next month or something, since it's up in the air whether I'll get a game in tomorrow or not.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Swags posted:

:siren:OATH FAILED:siren:

Am I the seriously the only one who read the part about doing a different month journal?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
The heatwave died down a bit, so gently caress failing the oath! I think I'll manage to paint them to the basic level so at least I don't fail entirely. And I'll have some tabletop-passable models, so :black101:

moths posted:

Am I the seriously the only one who read the part about doing a different month journal?
He toxxed himself to finish an oath and journal for each month.

VVV: No he couldn't:

Swags posted:

I hereby toxx myself to oath every single month, and to complete the challenge for that month.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 30, 2013

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yeah but you could do a different month's journal if you don't want to chop anything up. It shouldn't even enter the thought process.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
OATH COMPLETE

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Cutting and swapping has been done.

Here's a Redemptionist Confessor...

... and swap head and arms and we have an Imperial Guard Commissar.

(It's a slight adjustment)

And here's a finished Cut'n'swap Commissar for this months journal

I'm claiming Fly your flag for the banner

Also these are the first vehicles I've painted in 15 or so years, and probably 3rd and 4th vehicle I've painted ever. They're not special, but I feel proud of them.

And these veterans are getting a bit of Background. They are also a Themed group

quote:

"Let me tell you a little something about the squad I work with. We've been serving in this regiment longer than anybody else, and that means we've each earned a nickname and the right to use it. We're the toughest SOBs around here, and I don't mean Sisters of Battle.

First up there's Ol' Frosty. He told me 'I've killed a renegade Space Marine.' I asked him 'How do you tell a renegade Space Marine from a loyal Space Marine?' He replied 'Well, y'see, they..umm, they've got these.. Well, poo poo.' Ol' Frosty hasn't been boasting much since that.

Next up is Mumbles, the guy with the weird cage on his head. No one knows his real name, or where he's from, or what's up with that cage. It's not that he doesn't say anything, quite contrary. He talks constantly. Thing is, with that iron mask, none of us can understand a word he's saying. And it's not like we're really interested anyway.

The guy wearing the navy grey is Ace, our former pilot. Former, because the dumb fool got his Valkyrie shot down, with my squad inside. We landed behind enemy lines. I was pissed off with him, but I couldn't just leave him there to die. So I assigned him a plasma gun.

The handsome devil in the middle is me, Sarge. Sarge stands for Sarge Tough As Nails And Will Straight Up Beat Your Sorry rear end If You Disrespect Him. I've got many other nicknames as well, that's what makes me the sergeant.

Then we've got Grunt. Dumb as a sack of bricks and the biggest man in the regiment. Can't seem to find himself a jacket that fits him. He is followed by a servoskull we were sent to recover from a ruined Manufactorum. Guess it was the wrong skull or something, since the Enginseers didn't want it after all, so it started following Grunt everywhere.

The guy kneeling there is Shadow. So brilliant sharpshooter, got himself on a covert mission. Very hush hush. He says he worked with the Inquisition, and that shoulder plate of his is an award for his skilled service. I say he stole it.

Behind him is Shock. Crazy bastard swings that flail around everywhere. I always send him first into danger. I'm sorry that he keeps coming back.

And last up is Demo, you guessed it, our explosives expert. We rarely receive any demolitions of our own, so he just disables enemy bombs. That's why he keeps gathering all these bits of metal and crafting himself a better armor. He's not a very good disabler."
So all in all, that's Journal, Fly your flag, Background and Themed group

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

:siren:Oath Complete!:siren:

A full 1500pts of Terminators!

Sword Squad. Belial's personal pimp squad.

Typical terminator. The emblem is from the Angels of Absolution.

Heavy weapons. The gun arms are magnetized.

All power weapons and thunder hammers received this treatment.

Green Squad. I color-coded most of the squads by coloring the power fist, kneecap, or shield a matching color.

Deathwing Champion, with the Halberd of Caliban.

Hazard Squad.

Hazard stripes are always :black101:

Deathwing Command Squad

The missile launcher is from the Reaper CAV Outlaw model. 77 cents a piece, can't beat that price!

Banner of Fortitude.

Belial, Master of the Deathwing.

I aimed for the Detektuv's Jurnal (Cut and Swap) and Fly your Flag bonuses, as well as the Themed Group drawing. The cut and swap entry is quoted below, for completion's sake.

I really had a blast doing these, even with the setback mid-way through the month where my airbrush died. Getting to paint my own models for once is a breath of fresh air, and I hope to tackle some of the power armor side of the army next month.

Slimnoid posted:

I finished up the Cut and Swap for July.

These are just the Dark Vengeance Dark Angels terminators with some bitz swapped around. The one on the left had it's helmet cut out and replaced with one of the cloaked heads from the DA sprue, as well as adding the banner and some greenstuff. The one on the right, had the power sword arm lobbed off and replaced with a power fist; the arm holding the storm bolter was originally a thunder hammer arm that I had to cannibalize, as I'd run out of proper gun arms. Whoops.

I actually got these done a while ago, but my airbrush died and so I couldn't really get any painting done. Kind of kills the drive to do anything! My new one came in today though, so it's all good :3:

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

It's the thirty first... I have mechs to paint.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Kommando posted:

It's the thirty first... I have mechs to paint.

Shut up, for oath purposes it's still 3.5 hours until 31st (that's what I keep telling myself :v:).

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

:siren:OATH COMPLETE!:siren: four epic scale landraiders, two epic scale zoanthropes and one random 40mm base (This is my Get Based Out entry for the season!)

:siren:The Detektuv’s Jurnal::siren:

Original oath image, with plastic rippers from Games Workshop and 'medium beasties' from Dark Realms Miniatures visible:

...andddd.... *drum roll please*.. chopped up and stuck together with a time stamp to boot:

Namenlos
Oct 20, 2010
Just so we're clear guys? Do we have until Midnight tomorrow night (UK time) or is it like last month where it was actually an hour after midnight on the last day? (Ie, 1am on the 1st). Just so I know how much time I don't have.
Because I still have SO MUCH to paint. And it's my stupid birthday tomorrow. So I have to go out for a meal and celebrate and junk :colbert:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I am going to use that Get Based Out picture as the example in the OP, that's the way to do it. Perfect.

Namenlos posted:

Just so we're clear guys? Do we have until Midnight tomorrow night (UK time) or is it like last month where it was actually an hour after midnight on the last day? (Ie, 1am on the 1st). Just so I know how much time I don't have.

Until the end of the oath season (next May), the time is ALWAYS GMT, which during British Summer Time is 1 AM.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Britain summer time makes me think of a Brisbane dreary autumn day.
Cmon. I gotta move this next fortnight.

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
OATH COMPLETE

Detektuv's Jurnal
Cut and swapped on one of the ashigaru's spear to point into another direction, Izamu's weapon arm has changed positions and Yah Low's arms are now skeletal. pre-painting image reposted:

Double the fun
did last month's Jurnal for damage. Izamu, the Armour having seen hundreds of wars still contains relics from past battles lodged into its empty husk of necromantic energy.

Themed Group and Conversion

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Okay, lets do this! OATH COMPLETE

Original:

Claiming the Journal on Maugan Ra as it is a kickin' rad repose. I don't work with GS much as most of the poo poo I paint people just pay me for their 40k armies so this was fun.

I swapped his head positioning, arm positioning for the gun (to make it more flat) and cut and rotated his leg at the hip and knee to give him a more dynamic pose up on the rock.

Also claming the Box Art on the Infinity guy. Can I get Double Your Pleasure or the Based Out one for this too?

So I painted him for myself for a change, spent a really really long time on him but don't have anything other than a phone to take pictures so I don't feel like the subtlety of it got showed off so well. He's got a ton of weird NMM work on him, which I've never done before.

So I painted outside of my comfort zone this month on him, and I'm really proud of the results. Thanks Painting Oath Thread!

Brock Samsonite fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Aug 1, 2013

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
You did the Detektuv’s Jurnal and Box Art so you get Double The Fun for sure, and if you want to claim this as your Get Based Out entry that's fine too.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Ugh... I finished my bases last night and poured in the water effects so I could concentrate on finishing the last details on my models. But the seal I wrapped around my bases to keep in the envirotex wasn't tight enough. Going to have to spend most of the night cutting out bits and retouching all the corks I've damaged. This should be a tight one, but I think I can make it!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

:siren: Oaff Completed :siren:

Claiming the journal on this, as I removed his arms and replaced them with the 'eavy choppa.

I am also going to claim Parts List on this. Here is what I used:

Liquitex Black Gesso
GW Dheneb Stone
GW Orkhide Shade
GW Dwarf Bronze
GW Boltgun Metal
GW Scab Red
GW Ruby Red
GW Enchanted Blue
GW Gryphonne Sepia
GW Ogryn Flesh
GW Devlan Mud
GW Thraka Green
GW Snakebite Leather
VGC Storm Blue
VGC Graveyard
VGC Earth
VGC Khaki
VGC Cayman Green
VGC Goblin Green
RMS Stained Ivory
RMS Creamy Ivory
Gale Force Nine - Foundation Dirt Flock

Having written that down, it's a stupid number of things to have used on one dorky nob.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I, Chance II, call this Oath Complete

Got burnt out and left this to the last minute and it shows. Anyway, the Sigmar priest (guy with the hammer)and the Aspiring Champions (big axes) are this month's Journal as seen in the before pics.

Chance II fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 31, 2013

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Oath Complete

Detektuv's Jurnal
I chopped off a couple of arms from some metal GW scouts and made one who had a nicer gun and also shades to fit the stupid backstory I wanted to write.
Before and after:

Backstory:
Brother Prospero was lost. Again. He didn't get why the rest of the guys called him 'Lucky.' This wasn't luck, that was for sure. Trudging through some kind of jungle, miles, maybe days away from a decent meal, with a malfunctioning gun and a terrible sense of direction. Not that a sense of direction mattered much when the shades he'd been given for his birthday that morning were impossible to see through.

Rustle.

Snort.

Great. Now his paranoia was kicking in.

"What luck," he muttered under his breath as he tried to determine whether the rustling sounds he was hearing were in his head because they'd been brought there through his ears, or if his brain was finally turning against him for good. As he turned to try and get a better idea of where the sound was coming from, his bolt pistol fired yet again. He heard something drop to the ground - another tree to fall over, no doubt. Keeping the business end of his weapon pointed as far away from him as possible, he gingerly stepped forward, waiting for the pain in his shins that would confirm he'd taken down yet another tree.

Squelch.

For the love of the Emperor, this was too much. Lost, murdering tree after tree with a pistol he couldn't holster for fear of taking a leg off, virtually blind, and now he'd trodden in some foul-smelling muck. He readied his blade for poo poo-scraping duty.

"What a birthday, he thought. "Lucky indeed..."

APCs/Kodiak Command Vehicle

Dropships

Anti-air and main battle tanks

Legionnaires

Themed group - UCM Starter box + command unit

Oh, I almost forgot - the UCM guys are my entry for Box Art - see http://www.hawkwargames.com/products/bear-apcs for example.

IrvingWashington fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 31, 2013

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
Oath Complete!

Detektuv's Jurnal (July)

Besides cutting and re-positioning his arm away from his body, I cut off the club from the troll's hand, attached a bucket to it, and sculpted a handle onto the bucket. Big trolls need big drinks!

Strike a Pose

Meet Brunk.

Brunk routinely makes poor life decisions. Here we observe Brunk in his natural habitat.

Brunk should be returning home to share his turnip-stand earnings with his wife. Brunk has chosen not to do this.

Brunk has chosen instead to relive his schooltroll days.

Brunk figures Brunk will probably regret this in the morning, but Brunk's inebriation has saved him that trouble for now.

Brunk has discovered that high-class harlots cost far more than a turnip dealer makes in a week. And this is why Brunk is now visiting his local high-risk loan-dragon.

Why do you make so many poor decisions, Brunk?

Edit: This is a themed group.

Iris of Ether fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 31, 2013

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:catdrugs:OAF COMPLEAT:catdrugs:

Almost bit off more than I could chew this month, poo poo's getting busy around here, though I did find time to finish these 'ard boyz.

They're sort of a speed test run for the 100+ other kinds of boyz I have in a bin in my closet. The lesson learned is that these guys took waaaay too long for the result, I'll probably simplify it for the regular fellas. These guys have numerous conversions and some tasty Kromlech bodies and legs to help them justify that extra armor save.

I'm going really grimy and grimdark on these, I want the feel of the army to be more brutal and sinister and less goofy than the usual ork thing. I wanted a really dark, muted palette with spots of high contrast and I think this works pretty well. The most heartbreaking part is painting these really nice vibrant yellows and then weathering the poo poo out of them.

Gotta get this photography thing figured out. It always just gets to the end of the month and I'm all "ffffff" and take some quick, crap shots.

Anyways, here's the first half of the squad with the powerklaw nob in front:

The second half:

Here's a closeup on the Detektuv's Jurnal element, a cut n' swapped chainsaw arm.

I also claim these to be conversions and a themed group.

I have me down for AP + completed + username + base + detektuv = 10 points.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
Oath Complete!

First, this month's log entry. Like many others I wasn't enthusiastic about cutting up a model for the sake of it, but then I stumbled across this unfortunate fellow from my Bones shipment:

Wrath of Ashardalon. There were so many minis in this board game!

Some Privateer Press minis:

Croe's Cutthroats are a Themed Group

And some Reaper Bones!

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
:siren: OATH COMPLETE! :siren:

Here's my completed Reaper Bones Orc Spearman:

I did the Detektuv's Jurnal (Cut and Swap) for this month on his weapon:

Before:

After:

...And having stayed up way too late finishing this while being intimidated by the seriously stunning work of everyone else on this page, I'm going to pass out.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Red Shoe posted:

Shitloads of well painted minis.

Well gently caress me drunk. Thats impressive!

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

OATH COMPLETE

Under 15 posted:

I, Under 15, swear a mighty oath to paint five orcs and Grumlok, all GW models.

My entry for the Journal this month is the face-masked orc who is reporting to his boss; I wanted to make an orc that was prostrated or kneeling but that poo poo was impossible with these models. Seems like orcs aren't made to do that! Anyway, with this fellow, his neck had to get cut up a bit to get his head to turn far enough, his left hand has been cut at the wrist and rotated so he can rest it on his knee, and his right hand has been cut and rotated so he can lean on his knuckles. That shoulder had to be built up a bit as well, since that arm isn't supposed to sit like it is. Here is a before shot:

The right arm was originally holding a spear as well, but that had already been cut off somewhere along the way.

More yellow orcs to follow the post earlier this page, I guess...

Much better shot of the two models that matter, Grumlok the Warboss and my Jurnal model, which was necessarily a conversion. The six of them form a themed group.

Under 15 fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 31, 2013

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Alright, so I got the big center piece save the whales out of the way, whats left you ask? 12 boyz - when I get off of my 10 hour shift today I'll have 9.5 hours to complete 12 models. What about sleep you say? Nah, I don't need that :suicide:

TLDR: I'm going to finish my oath or die trying.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
Goddammit Red Shoe, that sure is a chunk of pretty mans.

Oath Complete!

Claiming Themed Group for the piggie patrol.

Brigand Shaman and Razor Boars

Bone Grinders

Midas and Road Hog

Reposting the Road Hog arm swap images for the Jurnal.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Oath Compl-Zzzz...

Mumble... Inquisitor. Space Balls joke.

Trying to work on the individual colours for my GK's. I call them Rickenbacker and Von Braun. Hopefully someone gets that one.

Still have some minor highlights and touch ups to do, but fixing that spilled water effects took way too much time.

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 31, 2013

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005

Illudere posted:

I, Illudere, oath 10 Gondorian Spearmen in 10mm from Copplestone Castings.

Journal - I decided to change the spearmen to swordmen. I thought, "How hard could making a sword out of green stuff be? It's like a flat stick." It didn't turn out well so I decided to make a mold with sculpey using a sword cut from a warmaster figure and then cast the swords in sculpey.

Oath Complete

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Oath Compl-Zzzz...

Very nice stuff. I painted a split color army like that once in the folly of my youth, it got old quick. Looking good though!

So if you've got Rickenbacker and Von Braun, why don't you have a big scary green techno-inquisitor?

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I, Schmetterling, hereby declare OATH COMPLETE!

I just discovered how to make collages!

Ogre Hero

Britanan Standard Bearer

I'm claiming Box Art for the Britanan Standard Bearer:

And the Doktor's Jurnal is the new axe head I gave the Ogre Hero:

Schmetterling fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 31, 2013

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Monoliths posted:

:catdrugs:OAF COMPLEAT:catdrugs:

Almost bit off more than I could chew this month, poo poo's getting busy around here, though I did find time to finish these 'ard boyz.

They're sort of a speed test run for the 100+ other kinds of boyz I have in a bin in my closet. The lesson learned is that these guys took waaaay too long for the result, I'll probably simplify it for the regular fellas. These guys have numerous conversions and some tasty Kromlech bodies and legs to help them justify that extra armor save.

I'm going really grimy and grimdark on these, I want the feel of the army to be more brutal and sinister and less goofy than the usual ork thing. I wanted a really dark, muted palette with spots of high contrast and I think this works pretty well. The most heartbreaking part is painting these really nice vibrant yellows and then weathering the poo poo out of them.

Gotta get this photography thing figured out. It always just gets to the end of the month and I'm all "ffffff" and take some quick, crap shots.

Anyways, here's the first half of the squad with the powerklaw nob in front:

The second half:

Here's a closeup on the Detektuv's Jurnal element, a cut n' swapped chainsaw arm.

I also claim these to be conversions and a themed group.

I have me down for AP + completed + username + base + detektuv = 10 points.

Holy poo poo, these are wonderful.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Brock Samsonite posted:

Very nice stuff. I painted a split color army like that once in the folly of my youth, it got old quick. Looking good though!

So if you've got Rickenbacker and Von Braun, why don't you have a big scary green techno-inquisitor?

Many thanks! Black and white are two difficult colours to work with for opposite reasons (highlight/shading) so I knew I'd either have to improve my skills or go [more] mad in the process. Still got a ways to go, but it would help if I stopped leaving everything till the last minute. When I was trying to decide which faction to paint my marines as, I ended up reading about Malal and his 'creatures of the warp killing other warp monsters' and it meshed well with how Grey Knights are in the fluff, so that's really their theme.

I was watching Psychedelic Eyeball's System Shock 2 LP at the point he first encounters the monkeys on board at the same time I was priming my own monkeys so I thought it appropriate to name them that. If I could somehow get my hands on that guy from the center of the tesseract vault, I'd convert it into a Shodan dreadknight in a heart beat though.

Derlix
Dec 9, 2005
Smug, Pantsless Bastard
Oaf Complete!

Rushing off to work, may update with actual detail/better photos when I get back

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
End of the month, lots of great stuff coming in! I love it :)

After slacking off on Monday, I did cleanup and a full session of painting last night, the last thing I did before leaving the loft/workshop was to spray a few coats of Pledge all over the model. Tonight it's just a final shot of Dullcote and then take the final picture! I can't believe I did the whole thing in one night, and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, too.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Simply an amazing job, everyone! People painting full armies in a single month is pretty incredible and makes me terribly jealous.

Oath failed for me, I'm afraid. :( The wife and I are on vacation and I couldn't pack the minis quickly/safely enough to take with me. I'll be saving those whales next month, I tell you 'whut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nathonicus
May 2, 2013
Oath Complete!

The Death Korps from GW are definitely a Themed Group.

I have now officially painted my entire Imperial Guard army. The army fills two cases, and shall grow no further. Thanks, SA, for helping me to put the final nails in this coffin!

And here's the Chandra, which was my conversion for the Detektuv's Jurnal:

Here's the before-paint, pre-conversion comparison:

• Locked thread