Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

RoeCocoa posted:

Yeah, not a lot of people like "The Breathing Method." I was still fairly young the last time I read it; maybe I'd have a different opinion if I read it again.

I like all of his Victorian stories so I might be biased but I thought it was good. Not a good re-read though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

April
Jul 3, 2006

nate fisher posted:

I agree 100%. The book hosed up my young mind back in the 80's.

Just curious what does everyone think are the scariest moments King has written? Off the top of my head...

- Ben Mears as a kid finding something hanging in the Marsten House.

- Danny Glick visiting Mark in Salem's Lot.

- Matt Burke getting a visitor also in Salem's Lot.

- Susan and Mark in the Marsten House while the sun sets, also in Salem's Lot.

- The loving end of his short story The Jaunt. Still disturbs me.

- Victor Pascow in Pet Sematary.

- The great and terrible Zelda in Pet Sematary.

- Gage speaking as Norma in Pet Sematary.

- The tunnel in The Stand.

- The sounds in the wall in Jerusalem's Lot.

- The storm drain in It.

- Jack discovering the history of the Overlook in The Shining.

I tried to be vague, so I don't think I was too spoiler-ish. I am sure I am forgetting even more, but these are the ones that come to mind.

It's been probably a decade since I read it, so I might be mis-remembering, but in The Shining, there's a scene where Danny is hallucinating/foreseeing his father chasing him with the croquet mallet. There's blood & hair on the thing, and Jack keeps hitting the walls with it, and it goes BOOM every time. I read that for the first time when I was about 13, and it's one of very, very few times a book made me want to sleep with the light on.

janklow
Sep 28, 2001

whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.

Tojai posted:

Perhaps scary isn't the right word, but I was highly disturbed by the dog POV segments in Gerald's Game. I always knew that dumping pets in the woods to "set them free" was an rear end in a top hat thing to do, but King fleshing out what the dog was going through made me feel sick.
easily the best part, if not only redeeming part, of that book.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

nate fisher posted:

I agree 100%. The book hosed up my young mind back in the 80's.

Just curious what does everyone think are the scariest moments King has written? Off the top of my head...

Definitely the part when the young undertaker first buries and then digs back up the corpse of the boy as the sun sets in Salem's Lot.

The warped, hypnotic internal monologue in the undertakers head during that scene perfectly captured the essence of nightmare logic.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

Pet Sematary is easily King's scariest work, and unlike most of his others, the parts that are scary change as your life changes. I keep posting about it, but I've read the book five or six times, several years apart, and every time I find something else that fills me with dread.

I've enjoyed everything I read by King (and I've still got a lot to read) except for the Dark Tower series which I just couldn't get into, but they never seem as scary to me as they do to others. Many parts are exciting and often creepy, but never really scary. Pet Sematary is the exception, though. I couldn't put it down, but I felt miserable (in a sort of good way) all the way through. I'd never seen the film, so I went in totally blind, and right from the start there's this sense of doom clouding everything. The fact that pretty much from the start it's obvious what's going to happen, his kid getting hit by the truck, being resurrected and turning evil, only serves to make it all that much worse.

For me, the most dreadful aspect of the story is that from an outsider's perspective the protagonist's action are really goddamn stupid and he should know better (like in oh, so many stories) but at the same time you can totally understand why he's doing it and you know that, if it were you in his position, you might well do the same things.

There's many great scenes in the book which are completely hosed up when you take the time to reflect on it, but completely believable when you take into account the progression of the story and the state of mind of the characters.

It was only after having read the book that I got Southpark reference in that one episode.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Mr.48 posted:

Definitely the part when the young undertaker first buries and then digs back up the corpse of the boy as the sun sets in Salem's Lot.

The warped, hypnotic internal monologue in the undertakers head during that scene perfectly captured the essence of nightmare logic.

Been so long since I read the book I forgot about that. Yes that was Mike and Danny Glick. I hate the name Glick because of that book.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
After finishing 11/22/63 i have a big question.

Derry is Dallas. Derry literally has a monster living under it that feeds off of negative emotions and sometimes eats people. I have not read The Dark Tower series but apparently the same sort of monster exists there as well.

As George is rushing to stop the assassination with Sadie, she looks up at the book depository and says something like "oh god it's horrible". So, what was happening here? Either George is misinterpreting the damage to reality, the monster is a metaphor, or Dallas really is a monster in the same sense as Derry?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

bad day posted:

After finishing 11/22/63 i have a big question.

Derry is Dallas. Derry literally has a monster living under it that feeds off of negative emotions and sometimes eats people. I have not read The Dark Tower series but apparently the same sort of monster exists there as well.

As George is rushing to stop the assassination with Sadie, she looks up at the book depository and says something like "oh god it's horrible". So, what was happening here? Either George is misinterpreting the damage to reality, the monster is a metaphor, or Dallas really is a monster in the same sense as Derry?

A running theme in King's works is that there are places that are evil. Sometimes he tries to justify that with monsters like Pennywise or Dark Tower reality-bending, but there are also places like the Micmac burial ground in Pet Sematary and the Overlook Hotel that are just plain wrong; some characters attribute it to being a native american burial ground but usually they come to the conclusion that it's just always been a place of dark power and the natives were just the earliest ones to be ensnared by it.

I figure that Dallas, and especially the book depository, were places like this. Though, fitting enough for a book about time travel, there almost seems to be a paradox at work where the place is innately evil because it's where the president is killed, but its evilness is also was subconsciously attracted Oswald.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
Yeah. Man. As a Dallasite he made my city seem so *terrible.* Its actually quite nice! Almost 50 years without a Presidential assassination! *waves tiny flag*

Tojai
Aug 31, 2008

No, You're Wrong
In the afterword for 11/22/63, he talks a bit about how he portrayed Dallas and he's quite unapologetic about it. Basically says something along the lines that he wasn't too hard on the city and if anything he was too easy. I've only been twice but it didn't seem so bad v:shobon:v

Lazarus Long
Dec 13, 2002
Having only been there once I would say there is a pretty big disconnect between the downtown area where the assassination took place and the rest of the city. For a major metropolitan area its pretty desolate and depressing. The rest of the city is actually quite nice though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I figure that Dallas, and especially the book depository, were places like this. Though, fitting enough for a book about time travel, there almost seems to be a paradox at work where the place is innately evil because it's where the president is killed, but its evilness is also was subconsciously attracted Oswald.

In Kings world(s) time seems to be cyclical, which brings up a question I've been wanting an answer for.

Is it supposed to be clear in the Dark Tower Series that the Old Ones are basically the equivalent of us(modern man)? Its clearly stated that events repeat themselves, so as I understood it this means that the "real" world will eventually fall into ruin and decay just like Mid-World did, leading to the rise of Arthur Eld, the fall of Gilead, and eventually a gunslinger beginning a quest. All of the details might be different because its not the exact same world(no Roland or Gilead, instead their "twinners"), but the series seems to suggest that our world will pretty much follow the established pattern.

My problem is I always confuse the "world moving on" with the Prim receding and the rise of Arthur Eld which I think occured at drastically different times. It just confuses me the more I think about it.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 31, 2013

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Basebf555 posted:

In Kings world(s) time seems to be cyclical, which brings up a question I've been wanting an answer for.

Is it supposed to be clear in the Dark Tower Series that the Old Ones are basically the equivalent of us(modern man)? Its clearly stated that events repeat themselves, so as I understood it this means that the "real" world will eventually fall into ruin and decay just like Mid-World did, leading to the rise of Arthur Eld, the fall of Gilead, and eventually a gunslinger beginning a quest. All of the details might be different because its not the exact same world(no Roland or Gilead, instead their "twinners"), but the series seems to suggest that our world will pretty much follow the established pattern.

My problem is I always confuse the "world moving on" with the Prim receding and the rise of Arthur Eld which I think occured at drastically different times. It just confuses me the more I think about it.

I think in old editions of The Gunslinger it was all but explicit that Mid-World was a post-apocalyptic Earth, but King didn't want it that way. So the Old Ones are *basically* us, but then not really.

I forget where I read that. Probably some introduction or preface.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

Basebf555 posted:

I think it's pretty obvious that the old ones were at least some form of "us". Off the top of my head, I remember that outside of Tull you could hear people singing "Hey Jude", there were remnants of "strange" technologoy in places even though society was very primitive, and I think they encountered a highway sign somewhere. I tend to think "moving on" is a euphemism for some kind of nuclear catastrophe, especially in light of the "muties" and the wastelands. The series seems postapocayptic, especially in Lud (I think that was the name of the city where Tick-tick man lived), which is a theme that King seems to enjoy exploring.

Pheeets fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 31, 2013

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

Well, spoilers for later books in the series:

Hey, Jude players a very slightly more important thematic role later on, and [I think Susannah] notes that Roland's version of the song is slightly different from hers.

Lud at one point is explicitly compared to a New York that has moved on.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Fun article about the King family:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/04/magazine/stephen-kings-family-business.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=2&pagewanted=all&

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I think that 1408 was probably King's scariest story. I can't actually remember why I think this because I haven't read it in many years but for some reason I found that story to be particularly effective at creating a tense atmosphere.

His most disturbing piece of writing is definitely the aforementioned Patrick Danville chapter from IT.

Honour mention for Survivor Type however. I love that story so much because normally you can horrify and gross out people by merely explaining the premise.

DirtyRobot posted:

Hey, Jude players a very slightly more important thematic role later on, and [I think Susannah] notes that Roland's version of the song is slightly different from hers.

There are also explicit, and in my opinion extremely unfortunate, references to Harry Potter and Dr. Doom later in the series. So Midworld clearly has very deep connections to our reality, including sharing the same pop culture iconography.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

Helsing posted:

There are also explicit, and in my opinion extremely unfortunate, references to Harry Potter and Dr. Doom later in the series. So Midworld clearly has very deep connections to our reality, including sharing the same pop culture iconography.

But weren't these due to the break down of the lining between worlds or whatever, from the work of the breakers (and they weren't necessarily things that had always been there)? It was the same with the Wizard of Oz references. And all of it was a play on intertextuality and the fact that the series became a story about stories.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

DirtyRobot posted:

But weren't these due to the break down of the lining between worlds or whatever, from the work of the breakers (and they weren't necessarily things that had always been there)? It was the same with the Wizard of Oz references. And all of it was a play on intertextuality and the fact that the series became a story about stories.

Thats where it becomes confusing for me. The Crimson King has been loving around between the worlds for so long that its hard to tell which stuff is left over from "before" and what is the result of his meddlings. Some of it is from already established fictional worlds, but then other stuff seems to be from the "real" world. I'm just trying to imagine one consistently repeating cycle and I can't really figure out how it would work once people start hopping worlds and loving with the program.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I'm just trying to imagine one consistently repeating cycle

Good luck with that. If there's anything you can NOT expect from King, it's constistency.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

DirtyRobot posted:

At some point, probably in Wizard and Glass, they come across a make or model of car that pretty explicitly does not exist in our universe so as to make clear they are in a similar but different world.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

It's a Takoma Spirit!

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

syscall girl posted:

At some point, probably in Wizard and Glass, they come across a make or model of car that pretty explicitly does not exist in our universe so as to make clear they are in a similar but different world.

Do they ever come across such a car in the keystone world?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

ConfusedUs posted:

It's a Takoma Spirit!

I think that if they ever get around to making The Dark Tower series, they should have a Ford Ka in the background.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

So, I read through I think the first book of the Dark Tower series, until a bit after the underground railroad section, and while I loved the fantasy-background bits, I just got bored with the main narrative, mostly because it just bored me. Is it worth pushing through, or is it more of the same, or is it something I just have to find out for myself? I mean, I've read Insomnia -which had a Dark Tower reference, and I'm sure I missed a couple of others- and I liked it, but is it worth investing the time or should I wait until I don't have anything better on hand and just try it out?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Its a takuro spirit.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Needful things is full of Kingisms, like "And that was the last time Polly ever saw Nettie alive" and brain tumors. Currently watching the movie (and reading more of the book from time to time) and this may be the worst adaptation of any of his books I've seen.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
The newish Salems Lot miniseries is worse. I liked the Needful Things adaption even though it had most of the book cut from it. It's not the best movie but at least they tried to stay true to the book, the salems lot miniseries is just a mess.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Taeke posted:

So, I read through I think the first book of the Dark Tower series, until a bit after the underground railroad section, and while I loved the fantasy-background bits, I just got bored with the main narrative, mostly because it just bored me. Is it worth pushing through, or is it more of the same, or is it something I just have to find out for myself? I mean, I've read Insomnia -which had a Dark Tower reference, and I'm sure I missed a couple of others- and I liked it, but is it worth investing the time or should I wait until I don't have anything better on hand and just try it out?

It took SK twelve years to write the first Dark Tower book, and I think the way it drags has a lot to do with that. The next two have better pacing and generally more interesting stuff in them. I haven't gotten around to the rest of the series.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Taeke posted:

If you're anything like me, the reason you're getting bored with the main narrative is because there's not a whole lot in the first book to even indicate what it is. You never really know why Roland is trying to get to the Dark Tower or what the tower even is. The next two or three books fill in a lot of the lore of the world and explain the basics of what Roland's quest is all about, so I would always tell people to read the first three before giving up.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

If you're anything like me, the reason you're getting bored with the main narrative is because there's not a whole lot in the first book to even indicate what it is. You never really know why Roland is trying to get to the Dark Tower or what the tower even is. The next two or three books fill in a lot of the lore of the world and explain the basics of what Roland's quest is all about, so I would always tell people to read the first three before giving up.

Thanks, I guess I'll read/skim the first book and then try the next two and see where that leaves me. Like I said, I loved the whole fantasy-setting of fantasy and his whole training bit/family/history and stuff, but the whole 'present' narrative was just too... incoherent for my tastes. I'll see where it goes. :)

eta:
I mean, I don't mind that the reason why he has to get to the Dark Tower is vague (at best), but there's absolutely no clue whatsoever. Just some bad guy that's really evil and bad for some reason, and some other characters that give you a strong sense of importance that's never rewarded at all. Sacrifice and all that? Yeah, sure, but tie it together in some way, please?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I actually prefer the revised version of The Gunslinger is only because I think it makes the story a bit more accessible to newbies. That said, the 2nd and 3rd books of the Dark Tower series are my absolutely favorites and they will really pick up the ball and run with it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Taeke posted:

eta:
I mean, I don't mind that the reason why he has to get to the Dark Tower is vague (at best), but there's absolutely no clue whatsoever. Just some bad guy that's really evil and bad for some reason, and some other characters that give you a strong sense of importance that's never rewarded at all. Sacrifice and all that? Yeah, sure, but tie it together in some way, please?

Yup your definitely describing the main issue I had with the first book which, as you said, is still very solid overall. But keep going because the next few books get into exactly what your asking for.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Is The Dark Tower worth getting into? I hear so many good things about it but also that it ultimately unravels and ends up being an unsatisfying disappointment.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

wordsauce posted:

Is The Dark Tower worth getting into? I hear so many good things about it but also that it ultimately unravels and ends up being an unsatisfying disappointment.

Yes. Go read it, then judge for yourself.

Having read the series about three times now, I'm at the point where I think the ending is just about perfect, though the final two books are not as well-executed as the previous ones. The whole series also plays with the very notion of reading something "just" to get to the ending.

Kind Milkman
Sep 3, 2011

Indeed.
I love the first three Dark Tower books, and they really should be read back to back. They move faster and flow better than anything later in the series. That's probably my biggest issue with the other four. The writing isn't bad, but the pacing and general plotting isn't as sharp.

Also, did everyone who read NOS4A2 make sure to read the note on the typeface?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

DirtyRobot posted:

Yes. Go read it, then judge for yourself.

Having read the series about three times now, I'm at the point where I think the ending is just about perfect, though the final two books are not as well-executed as the previous ones. The whole series also plays with the very notion of reading something "just" to get to the ending.

I agree that the ending is great. Overall I think its so highly recommended by so many people because it just has everything. If you're a fan of sci-fi, westerns, post-apocalypse stories, love stories, or traditional fantasy, theres something in this series for you. If you like all of those things its just amazing, probably the most fun I've had reading any book series.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Kind Milkman posted:

Also, did everyone who read NOS4A2 make sure to read the note on the typeface?

Yeah, I caught that even though it was left out of the Kindle edition because of some oversight, but you can see it in the preview of the book on Amazon by going to the back page view then paging back.

Pretty clever idea, too bad it backfired for the Kindle edition.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I've never read any King before, so I decided on a whim to start with Skeleton Crew. I'm maybe halfway through the whole collection so far, and am enjoying it quite a bit. However, Here There Be Tygers and The Wedding Gig are kinda baffling to me. Is there a point to them that I missed? Tygers just makes no sense, and Gig seems too...straightforward, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Zombie Samurai posted:

I've never read any King before, so I decided on a whim to start with Skeleton Crew. I'm maybe halfway through the whole collection so far, and am enjoying it quite a bit. However, Here There Be Tygers and The Wedding Gig are kinda baffling to me. Is there a point to them that I missed? Tygers just makes no sense, and Gig seems too...straightforward, I guess?

For what it's worth he wrote Tygers in high school. And it was his first (published?) story.