Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Kibner posted:

Wasn't that Hagetaka (or whatever his name is now)?

I'm not sure which stories he's talking about, then. If it's around Tim Richmond, then yeah Bill France Jr. basically loving railroaded him out of Cup.

If they're going to do a 30 for 30 about racing, they need to do one on loving Smokey Yunick. The guy was absolutely larger than life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
"Swoopes" premieres tonight at 8PM ET. It's directed by Hannah Storm, which should be interesting.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

This is the one I'd seriously love to see, and figure ESPN would do seeing as they're losing NASCAR but will still have IndyCar coverage through 2018.

Guess what? ESPN did an an "Outside the lines" on it in 1996.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ungLtkbCl38

It is fantastic per usual with any associated with Bob Ley. It's only missing element is pretty much the NASCAR POV, with the France family cackling madly while counting their money.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
If sure hope they keep this going. The next set seems really good. I'm looking forward to the Eddie Aikau and a few others. I'd really like to see some more about the Olympics, but who am I to complain. They've all been great so far.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Now that espn doesn't have racing I'm sure they have no problem doing a doc smashing people or racism associated with it

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Benne posted:

"Swoopes" premieres tonight at 8PM ET. It's directed by Hannah Storm, which should be interesting.

Caught it in a bar. Wasn't the greatest thing I'd ever seen but I appreciated the attention to the schism Swoopes made within the lesbian community.

It looked like any other standard ESPN documentary, though, which was disappointing. I know Hannah Storm isn't a director but yeesh. All talking heads and previously seen archive footage.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
A proper 30 for 30 on Lance Armstrong would be amazing but it'd need to be about 3 hours long to cover everything.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

The American Dream posted:

Now that espn doesn't have racing I'm sure they have no problem doing a doc smashing people or racism associated with it

Theyll never burn that bridge

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Declan MacManus posted:

Caught it in a bar. Wasn't the greatest thing I'd ever seen but I appreciated the attention to the schism Swoopes made within the lesbian community.

It looked like any other standard ESPN documentary, though, which was disappointing. I know Hannah Storm isn't a director but yeesh. All talking heads and previously seen archive footage.

I was actually watching it in a bar too and didn't realize it was a 30 for 30 documentary. It did look just like a regular one. For a while, I thought I was watching a segment on some other show.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Bumping this up, because I can certify: the new 30 for 30 on Eddie Aikau is really good. A little bit overwrought, but genuinely touching and interesting as all hell.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

For those who missed the Nine for IX stuff:

Drop Everything
No Limits - seriously, loving watch this. Buy it on iTunes if you have to.

A Must
The '99ers

Worth A Watch
Pat XO
Runner
Venus Vs.
The Diplomat

Decent Timewaster
Swoopes
Let Them Wear Towels

Meh
Branded

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I liked Spirit of St. Louis.

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007
I wondered why the Silnas weren't on camera, didn't realize they were suing the league. I would love to see a longer thing on the ABA, but that was a nice little case study.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

vaginal culture posted:

A proper 30 for 30 on Lance Armstrong would be amazing but it'd need to be about 3 hours long to cover everything.

Actually, there is a feature length documentary about Lance Armstrong titled "The Armstrong Lie" getting limited theatrical release on Nov 8th.

It's directed by Alex Gibney. It's over 2 hours long.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

yea it started as Gibney filming his comeback and then obviously things changed. The trailer looked great. Hopefully ESPN nabs it and airs it.

e: Also, everyone watch League of Denial http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/league-of-denial/

as well as the Arturo Gatti-Micky Ward doc on HBO airing Oct. 19. I haven't seen it but I've seen all three fights multiple times and there's no way this isn't gonna be good.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 9, 2013

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just watched "No Mas" and I thought it was really good. Duran is in absolute denial though. It's kind of :smith: more than anything.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Mahoning posted:

Actually, there is a feature length documentary about Lance Armstrong titled "The Armstrong Lie" getting limited theatrical release on Nov 8th.

It's directed by Alex Gibney. It's over 2 hours long.

I have been following it and can't wait to see it.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Rick posted:

I liked Spirit of St. Louis.

I thought they tried to shove too much into one thing. The Spirits and their ownership, Barnes, the collapse of several ABA franchise, the four that got in (and the two that didn't) and the NBA's media rise/in perpetuity. I did love that they had Terry Pluto talking as Loose Balls is such a great book. I'd love a miniseries on the ABA, where they could explore the nuttiness in all its flavors.

Plus, unless I missed it, they left out the most legendary Barnes story:

"nba.com posted:

and he also uttered his infamous “I ain’t getting’ on no time machine” line when told that a team flight to the West Coast would technically arrive minutes before it left due to crossing time-zones.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Just watched "No Mas" and I thought it was really good. Duran is in absolute denial though. It's kind of :smith: more than anything.

In a way I thought his closest moment of honesty was "Leonard will never be satisfied." Leonard taunted him, he was better than him, so he took all the sweetness out of the victory the only way he could. And man Leonard, you could tell that ate away at him. I remember the tail end of Leonard's career; he was just such an egomaniac, which makes sense with the alcoholism and the burning dissatisfaction of his greatest moment being tainted, and I just didn't get the love for the dude. But it seems like now he's over that hill, and this was just one more demon to put away, and he has that satisfaction now. Which is cool.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I thought they tried to shove too much into one thing. The Spirits and their ownership, Barnes, the collapse of several ABA franchise, the four that got in (and the two that didn't) and the NBA's media rise/in perpetuity. I did love that they had Terry Pluto talking as Loose Balls is such a great book. I'd love a miniseries on the ABA, where they could explore the nuttiness in all its flavors.

I did think it was too much for the format, but I feel that way about almost all 30 for 30s if they're any good.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

:siren: 'Bigshot' is on in 10 minutes :siren:

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

My favorite Marvin Barnes story is when Bob Costas missed the team flight to an away game and had to take a commercial one later. He didn't arrive until halftime and was saying he thought he was gonna get fired. Marvin told him he would hire him to wear a white tuxedo and drive him around in his Rolls Royce.

My other favorite Marvin Barnes story was one time he pulled up late to the charter, tossed his keys to a random guy and told him to park the car. The random guy stole the car :lol:

This Big Shot one seems like it could be much better than it is. Now the story starts so maybe it will pick up. edit How the hell is every single person involved in this not fired? This alone should have been a firable offense for the commissioner. He was short 17mil at the closing, they closed. He wired 1,700 the next day..and still had possession

edit2

Wow it is amazing how stupid people are. How did that guy get away with all that?

Just looked, it has happened two other times

The Spano fiasco was highly embarrassing to the NHL, which was still reeling from revelations that former NHLPA head Alan Eagleson had lied to his clients and enriched himself by skimming off the union's pension fund. The NHL was particularly shaken after it was revealed that it spent well under $1,000 evaluating Spano's credentials (estimates range from $525[3] to $750[2]); most leagues spend well over $30,000 to evaluate prospective team owners. When Spano bid for the Stars, the team was satisfied by a letter supposedly from Comerica attesting to his net worth. Prospective NHL owners are now vetted by Ernst and Young and a New York City law firm.
These safeguards were not enough, however, to prevent John Rigas from buying the Buffalo Sabres, only to have the league take over the franchise after his arrest for fraud. Seven years later, the Nashville Predators were sold to a group that included William "Boots" Del Biaggio III, who was later revealed to have fraudulently obtained $110 million in loans from two NHL owners and eight banks in order to purchase a stake in the Predators, a crime for which he was sentenced to eight years in prison on September 8, 2009 and ordered to sell his share of the team

And they still have the same guy running the league

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 23, 2013

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Ribsauce posted:

And they still have the same guy running the league
If multiple instances of under vetting prospective owners hasn't cost Bettman his job, then not even a dead prostitute in his hotel room would do it either.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's seriously absolutely incredible how stupid everyone involved in that was. HOW did no one catch that?

Kale
May 14, 2010

And so the slump begins

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Big Shot is hilarious.

Right after they interview Stan Fischler about looking like the Fishsticks logo, there's old video of a protest parade against the logo - complete with a little kid holding a sign with the logo reading "IT'S STAN FISCHLER."

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Big Shot was pretty good, I actually knew nothing about what happened there so it was pretty enlightening.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'd never heard this story either, so I was excited for it.

The story of Big Shot is like a storyline from South Park: total stupidity and ignorance of something obvious. They didn't even think to call the guy running the Stars and say "Uh, what's the deal with Spano?" :psyduck: ?

Acquilae posted:

If multiple instances of under vetting prospective owners hasn't cost Bettman his job, then not even a dead prostitute in his hotel room would do it either.

Just when I thought Brian France was the titleholder of worst commisioner/president in sports, not to be outdone, here comes Bettman to knock the gently caress out of the ladder to retake the belt.

Which politician is he related to and/or who does he have compromising photos of that's allowed him to keep his job despite multiple lockouts and letting several frauds buy franchises?

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'd never heard this story either, so I was excited for it.

The story of Big Shot is like a storyline from South Park: total stupidity and ignorance of something obvious. They didn't even think to call the guy running the Stars and say "Uh, what's the deal with Spano?" :psyduck: ?

Just when I thought Brian France was the titleholder of worst commisioner/president in sports, not to be outdone, here comes Bettman to knock the gently caress out of the ladder to retake the belt.

Which politician is he related to and/or who does he have compromising photos of that's allowed him to keep his job despite multiple lockouts and letting several frauds buy franchises?
Bettman never lost the belt :v: I always believed Bettman was less a standalone commissioner and more an embodiment of the collective stupidity of people who own hockey teams.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Forgot to address this last night, but I could've gone my entire life without picturing what came next after John Spano told Mike Milbury "The girls are on their way. They're going to do each other, and then they'll do us." :barf:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Forgot to address this last night, but I could've gone my entire life without picturing what came next after John Spano told Mike Milbury "The girls are on their way. They're going to do each other, and then they'll do us." :barf:

I bet Milbury had her tie him up and hit him with shoes

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

No no CBJ, Brian France is the shittiest commissioner in all of professional sports. Lets not say things we can't take back here.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Boomer The Cannon posted:

No no CBJ, Brian France is the shittiest commissioner in all of professional sports. Lets not say things we can't take back here.
If we're going international, it's Sepp Blatter and it's not even close.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
Gary's just the worst commissioner of a sport I give 2 shits about, there are far greater evils in this world.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Does FIFA count because if so this is a dumb argument

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

FIFA should definitely get a 30 for 30. The clusterfuck that will be the Dubai World Cup should be plenty.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

GD_American posted:

FIFA should definitely get a 30 for 30. The clusterfuck that will be the Dubai World Cup should be plenty.

World Cup. Dubai. The Desert. Alrighty.

I would watch that 30 for 30.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

And the IOC as a whole. And pick your name in boxing.

I didn't get to see to see tonight's one on Jimmy Connors, but I remember my uncle going crazy with glee over Connors' run in 91 when it happened, so I'll have to check it out sometime.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I would watch 30 for 30's on the 1972 gold medal basketball game and Roy Jones Jr getting jobbed hard

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

sportsgenius86 posted:

I would watch 30 for 30's on the 1972 gold medal basketball game and Roy Jones Jr getting jobbed hard

You should find a way to watch :03 from Gold. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0326717/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Spacebump posted:

You should find a way to watch :03 from Gold. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0326717/

thanks for the heads up. I'll keep on the lookout on NBAtv or something.

• Locked thread