Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

WendigoJohnson posted:

Really the only game in recent memory that took the M rating to the extreme was the recent Devil May Cry, all the rest has been pretty tastefully done.

A significant portion and probable majority of M rated games are not appropriate (or perceived as inappropriate by parents) for children of a certain age, and there is a huge market for games you can easily play with family of all ages.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

WendigoJohnson posted:

Really the only game in recent memory that took the M rating to the extreme was the recent Devil May Cry, all the rest has been pretty tastefully done.

Every M rated game on the Wii was the defintion of taking it to the extreme, stuff like Madworld or No More Heroes, gore and cursing for the sake of gore and cursing.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Pixeltendo posted:

But aren't pretty much most Nintendo games mass appealed to all ages? Lots of people old and young still play Pokemon, I know some grown men who enjoy Kirby games (me included)

If you're saying they should closen the demograph towards teens and adults, Nintendo is doing that, they got Zelda and Metroid, X is looking boss, and they even aquired Bayonetta 2

Mario needs a swift kick in the pants to re-invent itself. The New Super Mario bros. series are already pretty stale. As far as the Mario spin-offs go the last good one I played was Strikers Charged and what made it enjoyable as a sports game was that they really gave the characters some very expressive animations. Previous Mario games never showed the good guys getting mad or losing their poo poo, they kept them very much on the down low. Everything Mario has become pretty sterile in my opinion, it's no longer weird or fascinating like when the earlier games were released. And I saw the Super Mario bros. movie in theatres.

Alteisen posted:

Every M rated game on the Wii was the defintion of taking it to the extreme, stuff like Madworld or No More Heroes, gore and cursing for the sake of gore and cursing.

Both those games suffered from crippling gameplay flaws and half implemented ideas. Where as compared to stuff like Saints Row 3 and 4 themewise, they were pretty much on par and SR didn't suffer any real hangups. Saints Row probably would have done well on the Wii, but that's just a hypothetical guess.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 31, 2013

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Pixeltendo posted:

If you're saying they should closen the demograph towards teens and adults, Nintendo is doing that, they got Zelda and Metroid, X is looking boss, and they even aquired Bayonetta 2

Zelda is still on the kids side of things (not that they're bad games, just not aimed towards the older demographics) and Metroid is pretty much dead for the next console generation or two thanks to Sakamoto.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'd honestly like them to spin off Fire Emblem so the series can become like Diablo or Baulder's Gate. The existing universe would be perfect for it and there's always more room in the dungeon crawler genre. It would also give them another fantasy action game to release. Would probably work a hell of a lot better than the lukewarm Pokémon Mystery Dungeon.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

All of us cool eurodudes had C64s/CPCs/Spectrums and Amigas/Atari STs. They might not have been consoles but they were treated the same way by the majority of people.

The NES/SNES culture is literally an American/Japanese thing, everywhere else in the world had a solid mix of everything. Nintendo was never "The only game in town" outside those two markets.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

WendigoJohnson posted:

I'd honestly like them to spin off Fire Emblem so the series can become like Diablo or Baulder's Gate. The existing universe would be perfect for it and there's always more room in the dungeon crawler genre. It would also give them another fantasy action game to release. Would probably work a hell of a lot better than the lukewarm Pokémon Mystery Dungeon.

Well, they have Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem coming out for the Wii U.

Honestly if it ends up being good, I may get a Wii U to play it, because those are two of my favorite IPs currently around and active.

Edit: Other things that would sell me n the Wii U includes Xenoblades 2 if it's good, and possibly something like The Really Actual Last Story, because that's a great game.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 31, 2013

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

petrol blue posted:

Can I ask: What sold you on the U? Was it the design, or the brand, or something else?

I take it this is an open question? I bought it for the games. Honestly Smash Bros. 4 is enough to sell me on the system, but I'm super excited for Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Fire Emblem x SMT, Sonic Lost World, etc.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

The NES/SNES culture is literally an American/Japanese thing, everywhere else in the world had a solid mix of everything. Nintendo was never "The only game in town" outside those two markets.

The C64/Amiga/Amstrad/Spectrum "culture" is literally a nostalgia thing, kept alive by delusional people who can't accept how loving awful the games were for those things. I don't mean relative to Nintendo or whatever, either, they genuinely stink.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Wind God Sety posted:

I take it this is an open question? I bought it for the games. Honestly Smash Bros. 4 is enough to sell me on the system, but I'm super excited for Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Fire Emblem x SMT, Sonic Lost World, etc.

None of those games are out. Not a single one of them. Why couldn't you just keep it in your pants until they were?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The C64/Amiga/Amstrad/Spectrum "culture" is literally a nostalgia thing, kept alive by delusional people who can't accept how loving awful the games were for those things. I don't mean relative to Nintendo or whatever, either, they genuinely stink.

So is literally everything about the NES/SNES. Video games used to be abject garbage. If it wasn't a TV/Movie tie in side scrolling platformer, it was a top down shooter.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

None of those games are out. Not a single one of them. Why couldn't you just keep it in your pants until they were?

Why should I? I was gonna get the console sooner or later, so why not get it sooner and have some fun with multiplayer games like Nintendo Land and Game and Wario?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Wind God Sety posted:

Why should I? I was gonna get the console sooner or later, so why not get it sooner and have some fun with multiplayer games like Nintendo Land and Game and Wario?

Because you could spend literally half, or less, on it while still being able to play the games you wanted.

I am trying to figure out why you would buy a console a full year, at full price, before any games you wanted came out.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Wind God Sety posted:

Because it's going to be cheaper down the line. The games really aren't that much of a must buy and they're just going to get cheaper as well.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

You're missing the point here, the point is there isn't a C64/Amiga/ST culture anymore. No-one is sitting around saying to themselves well all a console needs to do is put out a new Atic Atac, Lemmings and Alien Breed and I'll throw money at them. Where's my Jet Set Willy HD remake?

It's more a commentary that there aren't a big group of people who 'grew up with nintendo' or have weird nostalgic feelings about the company or a small handful of games franchises.

Also the majority of NES games were utter trash so I don't know what you're talking about. The Amiga had some amazing games.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

What I would like to see from nintendo in order to sell me on the Wii U is the following.

Some of the franchises need a more adult reboot ala Metroid Prime. Starfox, Fire Emblem, Earthbound. Some franchises though should be pushed further, such as Wario, which should be made into an adult parody of Mario. While doing this, they need to keep the demographics of Mario, Kirby, Zelda, smash bros where they are.

They need to pick up more artsy games, that are visually appealing with simple gameplay. On the other hand they need to pick up 3rd party games that are clearly adult oriented such as Civ 5.

If the Wii U can offer me #1 gaming for me, #2 gaming I can enjoy with my young kids, and #3 the ability to play awesome handheld Wii U games while my daughter watches netflix, I will buy this system over a PS4, or Xbone hands down. The software that I as an adult gamer am looking for, just doesn't exist in their repertoire as of now.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Because you could spend literally half, or less, on it while still being able to play the games you wanted.

I am trying to figure out why you would buy a console a full year, at full price, before any games you wanted came out.

Well I didn't buy it a full year before any of them come out, I dunno where you got that idea. Hell, Pikmin 3's already out everywhere but the US, and it'll be out there on Sunday, and Wonderful 101's out in mid-September. Also maybe I was unclear, the games I listed are some of the ones that sold me on the system, not the only ones I've played or intend to play.

WendigoJohnson posted:

Because it's going to be cheaper down the line. The games really aren't that much of a must buy and they're just going to get cheaper as well.

Maybe not for you, but I'm extremely excited for all of the games I listed.

Wind God Sety fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 31, 2013

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

50 pounds of bread posted:

What I would like to see from nintendo in order to sell me on the Wii U is the following.

reboots...

Yeah, rehashing the same bullshit over and over is part of the reason they're having troubles in the first place. The last thing they need is more franchise recycling.

What they need to actually do is advertise the loving thing in a way that tells people "This isn't just a dumb controller add on for your Wii" and some games to actually come out, but it's too late for #1 and #2 isn't going to happen as much as it needs to because of #1.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Yeah, rehashing the same bullshit over and over is part of the reason they're having troubles in the first place. The last thing they need is more franchise recycling.

What they need to actually do is advertise the loving thing in a way that tells people "This isn't just a dumb controller add on for your Wii" and some games to actually come out, but it's too late for #1 and #2 isn't going to happen as much as it needs to because of #1.

If they'd put a remake of Bill's Tomato Game on the eShop it'd have been a day one purchase for me.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

So is literally everything about the NES/SNES. Video games used to be abject garbage. If it wasn't a TV/Movie tie in side scrolling platformer, it was a top down shooter.

What? This is complete bullshit. I still play NES and SNES games today. They aren't all platformers or top-down shooters. You should play the consoles before you say stupid poo poo.

WendigoJohnson posted:

Both those games suffered from crippling gameplay flaws and half implemented ideas.

What was the crippling gameplay flaw in No More Heroes? I just started playing it and have been thoroughly enjoying myself.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

What? This is complete bullshit. I still play NES and SNES games today. They aren't all platformers or top-down shooters. You should play the consoles before you say stupid poo poo.

Sorry I forgot JRPGs in the style of Final Fantasy.

Seriously, before you get super mad at someone over this and look like an idiot, go back and look at games from the late 80s and early 90s.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

No, I think he has a point. When I think about NES games that are actually good I could probably only come up with about 10 if I was really pushed, not counting sequels. Talking about the entire library as a whole the majority of them were awful. It's like when people think pop music was better in a certain period of their lives but they're only remembering the good ones rather than the slew of trash that made up the majority.

As far as the SNES goes though that did have some good games, but no more than any other platform at the time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sorry I forgot JRPGs in the style of Final Fantasy.

Seriously, before you get super mad at someone over this and look like an idiot, go back and look at games from the late 80s and early 90s.

It's still pretty wrong though, especially since you're narrowing it down to movie/television tie-in platformers.

Yes, there was a lot of trash, as there is in every generation, but there were also a lot of distinctive and unique games. Nobody would argue that every single one has aged perfectly or anything that hyperbolic but there are plenty which stand out, and arguing that the trash defines the era is pretty ridiculous. It's the year 2013 and for every generally great game that comes out, you've got 3 Bratz Babies: Funtime In Diapers. That's just the nature of churned-out crap.

If there's any significant difference in awful licensed crap between the NES era and this era, it's that the awful licensed crap has made the move towards low-budget download titles (Looking at you, Pacific Rim) or App Store infinite runner knockoffs. Even then there's still plenty of poo poo available for any given system you can imagine. We're not in some golden Renaissance here, finally freed of the shovelware that plagued the earlier generations. That poo poo's still around in full force in some way or another.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 31, 2013

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

No, I think he has a point. When I think about NES games that are actually good I could probably only come up with about 10 if I was really pushed, not counting sequels. Talking about the entire library as a whole the majority of them were awful. It's like when people think pop music was better in a certain period of their lives but they're only remembering the good ones rather than the slew of trash that made up the majority.

As far as the SNES goes though that did have some good games, but no more than any other platform at the time.

I agree that shovelware has existed at least since the NES, but that wasn't what was said.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Mega Man X and Zelda: A Link to the Past are literally gaming perfection so you are objectively wrong.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I agree that shovelware has existed at least since the NES, but that wasn't what was said.

Not what I said either. I'm saying most people are thinking of a small minority of exceptions to what he said than what he said in general.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Box of Bunnies posted:

Mega Man X and Zelda: A Link to the Past are literally gaming perfection so you are objectively wrong.

It's good to see that any slight against Nintendo is still met with vitriolic hatred when my reply was a level headed, if mildly hyperbolic, response to someone using similar hyperbolic marginalisation of the systems I grew up with. You may be too emotionally invested in video games from your childhood.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Not what I said either. I'm saying most people are thinking of a small minority of exceptions to what he said than what he said in general.

Let me quote posts from this very page, because this is already ridiculous.

Literally everything about the NES/SNES is a loving awful nostalgia thing that genuinely stinks and is abject garbage. Ignoring that plenty of titles (not the majority, but enough to keep you entertained for days/weeks/months) were well-designed, playable, fun games.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OatmealRaisin posted:

Zelda is still on the kids side of things (not that they're bad games, just not aimed towards the older demographics) and Metroid is pretty much dead for the next console generation or two thanks to Sakamoto.

Even kids would feel insulted by how hand holding Zelda has gotten.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

There are plenty of action games from that era that are and were fantastic - not just NES games, but games for arcades and other consoles, too - but you sure as hell won't find any of 'em for your Commodore 64 or ZX Spectrum or whatever other junk was kicking around at the time, and to just say "they were all bad!" is to gloss over just how loving awful those European facsimiles of Japanese action games really were.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Literally everything about the NES/SNES is a loving awful nostalgia thing that genuinely stinks and is abject garbage. Ignoring that plenty of titles (not the majority, but enough to keep you entertained for days/weeks/months) were well-designed, playable, fun games.

You're ignoring the part where he said the same thing about a swath of gaming system that innovated harder than the home consoles did, some of whom also happily survived the great gaming crash, or where I suggest just about every game on every system then was "loving awful nostalgia" (which I didn't say but is pretty correct, so thanks for that).

At this point you are just raging because someone said a bad thing about your childhood.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You're ignoring the part where he said the same thing about a swath of gaming system that innovated harder than the home consoles did, some of whom also happily survived the great gaming crash, or where I suggest just about every game on every system then was "loving awful nostalgia" (which I didn't say but is pretty correct, so thanks for that).

At this point you are just raging because someone said a bad thing about your childhood.

So your argument is that he said something stupid (which he did) and so you were going to double down on that stupid?

There are plenty of action games from that era that are and were fantastic - not just NES games, but games for arcades and other consoles, too - but you sure as hell won't find any of 'em for your Commodore 64 or ZX Spectrum or whatever other junk was kicking around at the time, and to just say "they were all bad!" is to gloss over just how loving awful those European facsimiles of Japanese action games really were.

Just to point this out but there are plenty of games for those systems which are still around, and if they're not using the exact version from those systems it is just because it got some kind of update in the time period in between. Those "awful European facsimiles" contained some legitimately excellent games.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 31, 2013

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

OLIVIA'S WILDE RIDER posted:

As a child, sure. But they're garbage now.

I was going off on a tangent that most of them were garbage then too. There's no reason to look at any of that era in a positive light other than nostalgia and most people are only nostalgic about a tiny handful.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Those were the popular and easy genres to make, same to today with first person shooters and third person open worlds.

However, like most things in entertainment (video games, television, cinema, sports) you can't argue the worth of an era by the average. You have to look at the 10 per cent best it had and compare it to the 10 per cent best of whatever era you're comparing it to. And the SNES era's 10 per cent is pretty hard to argue against. If you made a Top 25 list for SNES games you wouldn't find a weak game on the list. You'll probably find a weak game between #20 and #25 of a Playstation or X-Box list. Tons of games people play once, say they love and trade in never to own again.

Anyway, I love that people point out to the quick to make and sell New Super Mario games as proof Nintendo has been dry in the well forever when Super Mario Galaxy 2 was released just three years ago and is arguably the greatest 3D platformer ever made.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Do you even know what an Amiga is, you idiot? Here's a list of loving awful Amiga games which genuinely stink: Monkey Island, The Settlers, Lemmings, Cannon Fodder, Dune II, Flashback, Wings, Turrican, Pirates, Sim City, Worms, North & South, Civilization, ...

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jul 31, 2013

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

You're seeing a lot of rage in posts that just isn't there. You called out someone for vitriolic hatred when all he said was he enjoyed games. I'm not at all angry, you're just wrong. You are right in that you didn't say older games were loving awful nostalgia, I was mixing phrases from a post you quoted and your post, because you agreed with that poster and piled on the Nintendo libraries with them.

If you think everything on the Commodore 64/Amiga/Amstrad/Spectrum/NES/SNES was garbage, then when did gaming get good? If it isn't, why are you even here?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Man this thread got really aggressive while I was asleep :stare:

Anyway, Nintendo's Q1 report is out. The Wii U somehow managed to defy all expectations and ship only 160k units worldwide over 3 months, bringing it's total up to 3.61 million units shipped. Even the most pessimistic predictions I was seeing thought it would get up to 4 million, but it seems they still haven't sold through their launch quarter shipments.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=639998

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Katana Gomai posted:

Do you even know what an Amiga is, you idiot? Here's a list of loving awful Amiga games which genuinely stink: Monkey Island, The Settlers, Lemmings, Cannon Fodder, Dune II, Flashback, Wings, Turrican, Pirates, Sim City, Worms, North & South, Civilization, ...

Don't forget Bill's Tomato Game.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Katana Gomai posted:

Do you even know what an Amiga is, you idiot?

I'm assuming he's American so has never seen one before in person, let alone played anything on one. They weren't exactly popular there, unlike literally everywhere else in the world.

Don't take it out on him, it's not his fault.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Crowbear posted:

Anyway, Nintendo's Q1 report is out. The Wii U somehow managed to defy all expectations and ship only 160k units worldwide over 3 months, bringing it's total up to 3.61 million units shipped.

10k in Europe and Australia. That's madness, just unbelievably bad...

Poor Nintendo :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crowbear posted:

Man this thread got really aggressive while I was asleep :stare:

Anyway, Nintendo's Q1 report is out. The Wii U somehow managed to defy all expectations and ship only 160k units worldwide over 3 months, bringing it's total up to 3.61 million units shipped. Even the most pessimistic predictions I was seeing thought it would get up to 4 million, but it seems they still haven't sold through their launch quarter shipments.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=639998

I'm still waiting for their marketing relaunch. Pikmin's right around the corner so if they plan to do it, it's either now or when Mario 3D hits, and if it isn't now then they're basically sending Pikmin and Wonderful 101 out to die. It's pretty loving ridiculous at this point.

• Locked thread