Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
In a Vic2 MP game of mine we've made a custom mod that uses NNM as a base and balances the nations so that everyone is on much more even ground. We have like 20 players. We didn't allow any nation picking in the Americas, India, China, or SE Asia.

Screens:

We have Austria, France, Scotland, Netherlands, Maghreb, Egypt, Persia, Two Sicilies, Switzerland, Bohemia, Prussia, Romania, Greece, Sokoto, Russia, England, Congress Poland, Occitania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Is there any way to know how well mods will work with the CK2-EU4 converter? they talked about dynamic tags and such which is encouraging but im guessing a lot of CK2Plus stuff would more than likely cause a conflict.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

Is there any way to know how well mods will work with the CK2-EU4 converter? they talked about dynamic tags and such which is encouraging but im guessing a lot of CK2Plus stuff would more than likely cause a conflict.

They said it won't work out of the box, but a lot of it is apparently open to modding so you can adapt a mod to be convertable.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Except for CK2+, Wiz said that it will be compatible right out of the box.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I know this is really petty but I'm hoping there's a way to change the fonts so the accented letters are the same size as the normal ones on the maps. LEÓN is killing me.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ArchangeI posted:

They said it won't work out of the box, but a lot of it is apparently open to modding so you can adapt a mod to be convertable.

Or more specifically, adapt the converter scripts to your mod. The converter's scripting is apparently moddable, which is nice.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
It's probably the lowest thing on their priority list but a font editor for placing and editing your name on the map would be nice but I'm not sure the engine can do something like that. It's funny how weird your name can get sometimes though. I think in a multiplayer game as the Jalayirids my name was backwards, curved and upside down, and at another point it was just Jalay in really big font then the rest in the tiniest font possible.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Trujillo posted:

It's probably the lowest thing on their priority list but a font editor for placing and editing your name on the map would be nice but I'm not sure the engine can do something like that. It's funny how weird your name can get sometimes though. I think in a multiplayer game as the Jalayirids my name was backwards, curved and upside down, and at another point it was just Jalay in really big font then the rest in the tiniest font possible.

I'm kind of bummed that the word "Britannia" doesn't even touch Ireland in my game, even though the empire's ruled by an Irish family and the government is seated in Dublin. Before I conquered Wales it was even worse. The word was curved like a lower-case "c" over Scotland and England. It's maybe the pettiest of complaints but I would love that font editor to fix stuff like that.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I've fought wars specifically to make that text more appealing.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Chief Savage Man posted:

I've fought wars specifically to make that text more appealing.

Can we make this the next thread title?

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Anyone have a link to a recording of the stream? Was at work, didn't get to see it.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just go to their http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive page and there's a link to it.

http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/b/438261345 here it is.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Sorry if this was answered in the stream (I don't have enough time to watch all of it at the moment, sadly - I did get a little way past their SA shoutout though! :hfive:), but as I believe someone here posted that the converter takes into account each holding's development/prosperity to determine tax level, will it also take into account my government type and other details like trading posts? (and is it known if government type will really affect much, like in CK2?) Aside from income, my main worry is about their manpower system, as if it doesn't take into account my retinues, since as I'm interested in converting my Republic of Cyprus game, I'll be absolutely crippled when it shifts over to EU4; since although I may have a nice amount of income, I will likely no longer be able to hold my own in a fight, and won't have much of a trickle of manpower coming in. (Not that I'm trying to be a land power; I'm mostly thinking of being closer to the Dutch or maybe the Portuguese in EU4, and being more of a colonial+trade power. If that doesn't work, I'm thinking of making an Irish republic or something, to hopefully do something similar, but as a bigger country) Thanks

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Major Isoor posted:

Sorry if this was answered in the stream (I don't have enough time to watch all of it at the moment, sadly - I did get a little way past their SA shoutout though! :hfive:), but as I believe someone here posted that the converter takes into account each holding's development/prosperity to determine tax level, will it also take into account my government type and other details like trading posts? (and is it known if government type will really affect much, like in CK2?) Aside from income, my main worry is about their manpower system, as if it doesn't take into account my retinues, since as I'm interested in converting my Republic of Cyprus game, I'll be absolutely crippled when it shifts over to EU4; since although I may have a nice amount of income, I will likely no longer be able to hold my own in a fight, and won't have much of a trickle of manpower coming in. (Not that I'm trying to be a land power; I'm mostly thinking of being closer to the Dutch or maybe the Portuguese in EU4, and being more of a colonial+trade power. If that doesn't work, I'm thinking of making an Irish republic or something, to hopefully do something similar, but as a bigger country) Thanks

I was slightly wrong on the holdings thing -- it's not how developed they are, just how many there are. So a barony with 0 upgrades is worth as much as a barony with every upgrade. And it doesn't differentiate between cities/temples/castles when converting -- they're all worth the same amount. Or that's what it sounded like, anyway. They said that if you're a trade republic then you will automatically become a merchant republic after converting; in a similar way, non-merchant republics (i.e. cities as the main holding in a county but without a duchy-or-above title) will become noble republics. Presumably theocracies convert to archbishoprics. They didn't mention retinues, but they did say something about how special event troops would give you a boost to manpower, but to be honest it sounded like they meant your manpower would be higher to start with, not that your overall manpower limit would be higher.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
They said trading posts don't carry over I think.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Chief Savage Man posted:

They said trading posts don't carry over I think.

Yeah they did say that, the trade mechanics are just completely different. Also relevant to a republic: your starting cash will scale up depending on where it was at the end of your CK2 game, but it won't be the exact amount you finished with.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Interesting bit at the end of the new Developer Diary, about the CK2 converter:

Johan posted:

Also as many have asked about Sunset Invasion. Yes we have done some extra for Sunset Invasion, You will have two enormous empires in the west competing for world dominance and viewing Europe as primitive savages.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I confess to having been oblivious to some of the pre-release material-- is there any indication that the province renaming function present in CK2 will be in EU4? Pretty much every EU3 mod incorporated a colony renaming mod, so it seems as if it was a popular feature among modders, and it's certainly a doable thing as CK2 demonstrates.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

I confess to having been oblivious to some of the pre-release material-- is there any indication that the province renaming function present in CK2 will be in EU4? Pretty much every EU3 mod incorporated a colony renaming mod, so it seems as if it was a popular feature among modders, and it's certainly a doable thing as CK2 demonstrates.

Heh, I was actually just about to ask more-or-less the same thing: from what can be gathered from pre-release material, does anyone know if we can name our colonies to whatever we want, or do they just get assigned a generic name for the colonizing country/culture, like 'New England', or something.

Also, thanks for the information regarding republics, earlier!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

canepazzo posted:

Interesting bit at the end of the new Developer Diary, about the CK2 converter:

Aww yes! That's great. We'll be able to find out what happens to the Aztec and Inca Empires after CK2! I hope they continue with their alt-history storyline all the way to the next Victoria/Hearts of Iron game.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Man, I am going to have to stop reading the thread once EUIV comes out, because I can't buy it and then I'll see you all having fun and I'll be sad.

About Victoria 2, is there any message setting for "Our puppet is getting screwed by rebels"? Realizing the whole CSA be occupied by pan-american nationalists when I need to call them into war is getting old.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

grancheater posted:

Man, I am going to have to stop reading the thread once EUIV comes out, because I can't buy it and then I'll see you all having fun and I'll be sad.

About Victoria 2, is there any message setting for "Our puppet is getting screwed by rebels"? Realizing the whole CSA be occupied by pan-american nationalists when I need to call them into war is getting old.

The influence notifier at the top of the screen will turn red if there's a rebellion in your sphere or whatever. I'd love a message notification anyway, sometimes because there's more than one rebellion at a time and if a rebellion goes off in a country you're trying to sphere it doesn't tell you, but mostly because it'd be great flavor.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
One more reason to become a GP I guess. So, what's the proper way to min/max my army in AHD? After my most recent and greatest war I am now able to field 15, yes, 15 whole brigades.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

grancheater posted:

One more reason to become a GP I guess. So, what's the proper way to min/max my army in AHD? After my most recent and greatest war I am now able to field 15, yes, 15 whole brigades.

I can't find the link now, but Darkrenown did a pretty big explanation. IIRC, though, it boiled down to something like:

X number of infantry;
2 recon-producing brigades (hussars, cavalry, airplanes, armor);
2 siege-producing brigades (engineers); and
X number of artillery.

The infantry and recon units will be supported by the engineers and artillery.

I never get that far, mind you, because I sometimes completely skip the artillery research tree, and usually can't be bothered to go back and build engineers after I already have lots of armies built.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Has anyone considered a EU4 op when it hits? Seems dumb, since this thread was created since the HoI3 thread was a huge flop so it couldn't carry a thread on its own, but we did it with CK2 and it got really popular. I think EU4 could carry a thread due to the popularity of CK2 but it also takes another chunk away from this thread. Thoughts?

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
If you're still using AHD, the engineers and cavalry are a bit less important and Guards are flat out better than infantry.

In HoD, the support units become more valuable in both combat and occupation and guards hit harder but are less durable than standard infantry, making them not a full on replacement for the regulars.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

ulmont posted:

I can't find the link now, but Darkrenown did a pretty big explanation. IIRC, though, it boiled down to something like:

X number of infantry;
X number of artillery.

I never get that far, mind you, because I sometimes completely skip the artillery research tree, and usually can't be bothered to go back and build engineers after I already have lots of armies built.
However, for those without HoD, just spam guards.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

ulmont posted:

X number of infantry;
X number of artillery.

Armour brigades are siege, not recon. Also don't use armour brigades as line troops, they're worse than infantry when you've just researched them, they don't really get much better than infantry and they're expensive as all hell. Aside from that you're dead on, just when planes are invented switch your horsies for infantry and 2 units of artillery for planes.

Epinephrine posted:

However, for those without HoD, just spam guards.

And have as many artillery as you do guards, and you'll wreck everything.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Friend Commuter posted:

Armour brigades are siege, not recon. Also don't use armour brigades as line troops, they're worse than infantry when you've just researched them, they don't really get much better than infantry and they're expensive as all hell. Aside from that you're dead on, just when planes are invented switch your horsies for infantry and 2 units of artillery for planes.

Thanks; I never get that far as slowdown causes me to abandon games well before I could ever build armor, so forgot re siege/recon.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

dipwood posted:

In a Vic2 MP game of mine we've made a custom mod that uses NNM as a base and balances the nations so that everyone is on much more even ground. We have like 20 players. We didn't allow any nation picking in the Americas, India, China, or SE Asia.

Screens:

We have Austria, France, Scotland, Netherlands, Maghreb, Egypt, Persia, Two Sicilies, Switzerland, Bohemia, Prussia, Romania, Greece, Sokoto, Russia, England, Congress Poland, Occitania.

That is an interesting Sandboxy mod. Would you guys mind uploading it?

By the way, how stable is the game with 20 players? I've had a hard time going above speed 2 with only another player by the time Great Wars come up, but that might just be terrible Brazilian internet.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Has anyone considered a EU4 op when it hits? Seems dumb, since this thread was created since the HoI3 thread was a huge flop so it couldn't carry a thread on its own, but we did it with CK2 and it got really popular. I think EU4 could carry a thread due to the popularity of CK2 but it also takes another chunk away from this thread. Thoughts?

Why would you make a thread to siphon away chat about PI's flagship game from the PI thread? What else are we gonna do in here?

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Gorgo Primus posted:

Why would you make a thread to siphon away chat about PI's flagship game from the PI thread? What else are we gonna do in here?

What we did when CK2 came out, where every post about another Paradox game is instantly drowned in 5 pages of EU4 chat.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Gorgo Primus posted:

Talk about Paradox Interactive minor games, like Hearts of Iron, Victoria, March of the Eagles, Rome, as well as general chat about the company. I do think it's a good idea, the CK2 thread is alive and well, allowing a more focused conversation on that game, and its existence hasn't destroyed this one, and has not prevented conversation on CK2 in here either. It also has the bonus of increasing visibility for EU4.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

Go for it then.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Zeron posted:

Except for CK2+, Wiz said that it will be compatible right out of the box.

Is this true? I was kind of dreading starting a vanilla game for the first time since like a month after launch, just so I could mess around with that converter (which is neat as all hell by the way.) If I'll be able to just start up or continue one of my CK2+ games, that'd be amazing.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

ZearothK posted:

Talk about Paradox Interactive minor games, like Hearts of Iron,

:crossarms: You know, I know HoI isn't popular on this forum, but since Paradox literally just said that HoI is their bestselling series, I don't think this is quite accurate. When HoI4 is inevitably released, I strongly encourage it to receive its own thread.. But EU4 is probably best-fitting here.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Gorgo Primus posted:

Go for it then.
You don't have to worry about this thread permanently losing its titles anyway. If the other threads die, they'll surely pass right back to this one.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You don't have to worry about this thread permanently losing its titles anyway. If the other threads die, they'll surely pass right back to this one.

Famous last words. Boy are you going to be surprised when the other thread forms a matrilineal marriage with a thread in Pet Island.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Beamed posted:

:crossarms: You know, I know HoI isn't popular on this forum, but since Paradox literally just said that HoI is their bestselling series, I don't think this is quite accurate. When HoI4 is inevitably released, I strongly encourage it to receive its own thread.. But EU4 is probably best-fitting here.

Maybe, but since this is about how the massive chat about EU4 could drown out talk about other games in this thread, it is an entirely valid statement.

Also, I just gave in and preordered EU4. An official save game converter is just too good, I'd love too see my how my Kingdom of Saxony game, with an heretic HRE, Kingdom of Sicily/Africa and Latin Empire will develop in the next 400 years.

e X fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

Gonna wait for a mod for the converter that doesn't make non-reformed 'pagans' shamanistic.

• Locked thread