Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Another thing.. you'll notice that the added mass and power are huge jumps as you go up a tier, like green give 200 mass, red 500 mass.. that kind of thing. Same for usage. Jump Jet II and Jump Jet III are only somewhat better, but much bigger requirements. I took CPU as my first 'red' so I could use Multi Turret IV, and the mass/power requirements are so big (even with a small cpu modifier in there) that I can't use a secondary weapon, and learned that I'm not even able to throw all 2's in my other abilities. You really do need to get all three up to the same tier to enjoy the benefits. At blue-1 in power/mass I'm very limited. Blue 2 is going to help, but all-red with cpu-using mass/power reducers is the only way you're going to get a couple of your most important expensive-to-craft tier-4 items in your frame and still have everything in use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

permanoob
Sep 28, 2004

Yeah it's a lot like that.

Pierson posted:

Speaking of those optional crafting components where do we find 'em? Are they mission rewards from ARES/defence etc?

I also notice even though I have spare power I can't allocate it to my stock 1 weapons like the tutorial video says I should be able to. I guess I can only give spare power to crafted weaponry?

You buy the optional components from a vendor or get them as drops. I've got 3 as drops, ever. In Copa, the vendor selling them is RIGHT by the printer. poo poo is expensive though.

And yeah you can only allocate power to anything non-stock, it can be crafted or looted.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Pierson posted:

I also notice even though I have spare power I can't allocate it to my stock 1 weapons like the tutorial video says I should be able to. I guess I can only give spare power to crafted weaponry?

The tutorial is wrong. It says you can allocate extra power to crafted equipment but in reality you can allocate to anything T1-4, even drops. Pretty much anything -except- stock. Stock is junk. It just doesn't break.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
This is what I get for opening 2 threads at once.

Any news on the 'Red Bean' motorcycle? I am a lazy fart with money.

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 31, 2013

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

a cock shaped fruit posted:

This is what I get for opening 2 threads at once.

Any news on the 'Red Bean' motorcycle? I am a lazy fart with money.

There's one in the Red Bean shop you can buy.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Thor-Stryker posted:

There's one in the Red Bean shop you can buy.

Available now? (I am at work, and can't check) but I was under the impression it was 'coming soon'

Vulpix
Nov 23, 2000

It is my opinion that your favorite anime sucks.

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Available now? (I am at work, and can't check) but I was under the impression it was 'coming soon'

Available since last week. It's purple if you care about the color.

permanoob
Sep 28, 2004

It's purple and 175 beans. Conveniently enough there's a Red Bean package of 168 bea... oh nm.

Vulpix
Nov 23, 2000

permanoob posted:

It's purple and 175 beans. Conveniently enough there's a Red Bean package of 168 bea... oh nm.

Speaking of beans, I still refuse to buy colors knowing they are not permanent unlocks.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Same here. I almost bought beans just to buy a bunch of paints since they looked neat and were the only reasonably priced thing in this game, then I saw that they were one-time deals.

I've posted on the forum and left feedback saying that if they were permanent unlocks I'd buy all sorts of different paints to switch between, as is I don't think I'd buy any, or maybe I'd buy one and never switch again.

Vulpix
Nov 23, 2000

Fina posted:

Same here. I almost bought beans just to buy a bunch of paints since they looked neat and were the only reasonably priced thing in this game, then I saw that they were one-time deals.

I've posted on the forum and left feedback saying that if they were permanent unlocks I'd buy all sorts of different paints to switch between, as is I don't think I'd buy any, or maybe I'd buy one and never switch again.

Best part was the justification from the developers was in summary "other games do it too".

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Vulpix posted:

Best part was the justification from the developers was in summary "other games do it too".

I never did get a response when I pointed out to Phobos that other games have alternate means of getting armor dyes and stuff that wasn't real life money.

Vulpix
Nov 23, 2000

poptart_fairy posted:

I never did get a response when I pointed out to Phobos that other games have alternate means of getting armor dyes and stuff that wasn't real life money.

Maybe he is referring to those Korean MMOs where you pay to use a color or costume for 5 days.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Firefall: Just Like Those Other Korean MMOs.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Dragon's Prophet I think is a korean game originally, and holy poo poo. You pay sony bucks to unlock one random color out of five in a randomly generated grid that you put a 5-block X across. Some of this poo poo out there is insane.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Vulpix posted:

Speaking of beans, I still refuse to buy colors knowing they are not permanent unlocks.

I don't think r5 has any interest in changing this, I've thrown the suggestion in a survey a while back that they should at least offer the option, for an increased cost, to unlock the same color scheme across all frames. If anything it shows how out of touch r5 is with the customization options and how they market those to the players. If there is one thing every player wants it's to play Barbie with their character. Color schemes are really a trivial aspect of that. Having 90% of a frame's appearance be static was a big mistake.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I am so glad that I have been playing closed beta long enough to accumulate all of the free colors that were given out. I am constantly changing the way my character and frame looks. I even bought the Candy Stripe pattern so I could invert my frame colors. The fact that I just can't stick with one color forever has pretty much guaranteed that I will never buy any warpaint with red beans, no matter how much I want it. And there are some of them I would gladly throw red beans at if they were permanent.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Nalin, sent you a PM about some info I need.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

Vulpix posted:

I don't play those "Other Games", and this sort of stuff is one of the (albeit numerous) reasons why.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Vulpix posted:

That is an odd response when R5 likes pointing out how they are doing things not like other games.

Really the only question that should be asked is "Are people paying for it?" and maybe "Are enough people paying for it?"

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Vulpix posted:

Planetside 2 atleast gives you the choice. One time use, or permanent for more cash.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I like that their excuse for the horrible half pants half leotard female engineers use is "Well other games are worse". I know that 3/5 of your suits look fine but engineer and assaults lack of pants makes me not want to play one.

Yeah and the color system is horrible. Give people an option to drop 5 bucks worth of beans on a color for repeated use across mechs and they'll gobble it up vs not buying anything at all because they'll lose the colors the moment they want to try something else.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I like that their excuse for the horrible half pants half leotard female engineers use is "Well other games are worse". I know that 3/5 of your suits look fine but engineer and assaults lack of pants makes me not want to play one.

The baseline that things are being compared to is Scarlet Blade. At least firefall has a 'male' option.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

xxEightxx posted:

The baseline that things are being compared to is Scarlet Blade. At least firefall has a 'male' option.

I might be alright with Engineer if males looked just as Ridiculous, but they do not, they have both pant legs intact. Assault at least makes some sort of sense if not covering nearly enough. Engineer is just :psyduck:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

MadHat posted:

I might be alright with Engineer if males looked just as Ridiculous, but they do not, they have both pant legs intact. Assault at least makes some sort of sense if not covering nearly enough. Engineer is just :psyduck:
Somebody made a mod to give female engineers pants. Somebody else needs to make a mod to remove male engineer pants. I can just imagine the whining that would follow. :allears:

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Yeah, the assault armors are pretty dumb but holy poo poo those engineers. I know armor is expensive but at least defend both butt cheeks.

Anyway, I've mostly wrapped my head around the crafting and it doesn't seem too bad but the loving DNA/Tech reclamation is the grindiest poo poo ever. Kill hundreds of ants to craft one piece of level 2 equipment.

gently caress no.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Just skip the grind for t1-3 gear. Use what you can scavenge or buy off the market and then craft your own t4 gear or convince another goon to do it for you.

Strike Anywhere
Oct 3, 2006
I love the smell of sulfur in the morning...
Is there any information on what the experience rewards are for various missions, including what actions will net you more experience if performed during each mission?

I would have thought that running an ARES group mission solo would get me fantastic piles of experience, but it really seems to vary. In some cases I've shown up late to a party and receive what seemed to be around 20k experience when I only killed one bug. On other times I'll crank through an ARES group mission solo and seem to come out the other end with around 7-8k.

What am I missing?

permanoob
Sep 28, 2004

Exp isn't shared on missions. Everyone gets the same if they participate, in a squad or not. Depends on the mission difficulty and I think applies to the mission objective as well. Like, a datapad mission is super fast compared to a payload mission, so I'm thinking a payload mission would pay out better.

This exp reward stuff I'm saying is just conjecture. Except for the "it's not shared" stuff.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Get into a good group and run around doing all the ares you can.

Ive got invited by a random dude to a party while soloing ARES and in the next hour and change got 200k experience. This is on my brand new Rhino that literally had no abilities yet. It also convience me to buy the rechargeable flightpad because drat if that isn't the most cost efficient way of travel in lots of spots in the game.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I think everyone agrees that engineers look ridiculous. At least the bastion makes up for it by making the males look like they're running around with a jock strap on. I'll find the warpaint color, but I'm pretty sure it's yellow. I talked to the dev who does those skins and he said it's done by algorithm so he'll have to check it out. When the female engineers take enough damage to wear down the paint, it looks like a Chosen tried to take a bite out of her butt (front too).

I like the female Assault shorts with those tiny pockets on the back. Makes her look like a club chick with the stompiest boots in the world.

As for mission XP, I can take some notes and write up a guide tonight about what events do what.

Vulpix
Nov 23, 2000

Got a question about crafting. Let me just use the healing pillar as an example. I believe it's broken into 3 parts right? One for the size of the AOE, one for the cooldown time, and the last one for the healing strength.

Let's say I do not care about the AOE size or healing strength, so I use white grade material to craft those parts. I however want to reduce cooldown as much as possible, so I use blue grade material on it. What is the quality and weight of the material once I craft the actual item out, assuming I want to craft a healing pillar 3? Is there a way to calculate the final weight? Is the final healing pillar crafted from the white-white-blue a green item?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
I have a crafting question. I was putting together some weapons, and when it came to picking minerals to use I always just defaulted to the highest quality I could get. I was curious though, do the different mineral types affect the finished product differently, like picking Iron vs. Copper? Or is it basically just a highest quality = best?

permanoob
Sep 28, 2004

It's still a quality issue. Also make sure you want to spend the higher quality mats on that feature. Some stats just don't change much going from white to blue/purple and it's not work the spend.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
I will say that I think it's worth getting the absolute most damage out of weapons, I make my first crossbow with pretty good materials and now am in the awkward position where against a lot of enemies I'll drop them to a sliver. going from 3 to 2 or 2 to 1 shot is huge.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Vulpix posted:

Got a question about crafting. Let me just use the healing pillar as an example. I believe it's broken into 3 parts right? One for the size of the AOE, one for the cooldown time, and the last one for the healing strength.

Let's say I do not care about the AOE size or healing strength, so I use white grade material to craft those parts. I however want to reduce cooldown as much as possible, so I use blue grade material on it. What is the quality and weight of the material once I craft the actual item out, assuming I want to craft a healing pillar 3? Is there a way to calculate the final weight? Is the final healing pillar crafted from the white-white-blue a green item?
When you look at an item to craft, those mass/energy/cpu stats are the base stats. Each subcomponent adds to the mass/energy/cpu usage on the item. That is why when you start getting to tier 4, you can't just craft blue on everything. Your mass/energy/cpu stats will be too high. You will usually have to choose which stat you want to max and tank the others to keep the cost down. And the final quality of the item is the average of all the subcomponents. So if you have a quality 100, 150, and 800 component, the final quality should be around 350. Most likely.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India

ianmacdo posted:

Planetside 2 atleast gives you the choice. One time use, or permanent for more cash.
They actually removed the one time cammos saying that they didn't sell well. Funny how Red5 does the opposite of that

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

MadHat posted:

That is an odd response when R5 likes pointing out how they are doing things not like other games.

This is pretty much the developers' attitude all around, it seems.

"We'll do things differently unless we don't want to :smug:"

Yeah yeah official forums and all that, but holy gently caress the people they've got posting there are incredibly punchable for this sort of thing.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
On the subject of ARES xp, I ran some tests.

Known numbers:

Tornado shard: 3500xp
Tornado core: 15000xp

Crashed thumper part turn-in: 1500 each
Crashed thumper completion: 3500

LGV race: 5000 either way between Copa and Thump Dump. Other races may be more or less. I didn't test those.

Stock personal thumper: 3000
Personal I: 4000
Squad III: 10000
Others are somewhere in between.

The following is a short list of the ARES I ran and remembered to take notes.

Personal 1 - 3500xp - datapad mission - 2 AMPs
Personal 2 - 10000 - cocoons - 2 AMPs (Very large complex. The T shaped one under the bridge north of Trans Hub. Possible modifier for the size of the complex?)
Personal 2 - 3500 - cocoons - 2 AMPs
Group 2 - 18000 - datapad - 2 AMPs
Personal 2 - 10000 - datapad - 1 AMP
Personal 1 - 3500 - datapad - 1 AMP
Group 1 - 6000 - bomb - 2 AMPs
Group 2 - 18000 - 2 AMPs
Group 2 - 10000 - 2
Personal 1 - 3500 - 1
Personal 1 - 3500 - 1
Personal 1 - 3500 - 2
Group 1 - 10000 - 2
Personal 2 - 3500 - 2
Personal 1 - 3500 - 1
Personal 1 - 3500 - 1
Personal 1 - 3500 - 1
Group 1 - 6000 - bomb - 2
Group 2 - 18000 - datapad - 2 (There were so many Tanken in there. They just kept pouring out of the mouth of that complex forever. Possible modifier for time to complete?)
Personal 1 - 3500 - 1
Personal 2 - 3500 - 1
Personal 2 - 3500 - 2

Looking at those numbers you can see some patterns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strike Anywhere
Oct 3, 2006
I love the smell of sulfur in the morning...

Inimicul posted:

On the subject of ARES xp, I ran some tests.

Nice work.

Have you been able to tell if you get a bonus for being the person who takes actions required during ARES missions as opposed to just being along for the ride?

[edit] I can confirm that the other LGV races award ~3500 exp base per run completed, ~5000 exp if done in under a specific time. Usually if you can complete each run in about 2/3 the total time allotted you get 5k.

Strike Anywhere fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 1, 2013

• Locked thread