Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

DancinBrud posted:

This phrase, and how often it's been repeated, is far worse than anything in the special editions or the prequels.

Blame Lucas.

When I found the original OT movies online last year I burned em and put em in my star wars (SE) dvd box and threw out the SE discs. Too bad, since they had nice print pictures on em. But as a kid of the 80's I cannot stand the SE, barring a couple scenes, like the extra cloud city backgrounds and the Biggs scene before the Yavin fight.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Diabolik900 posted:

As bad as the Vader "No" in Jedi was, this is the blu ray change that I can't believe they were serious about :

http://youtu.be/J0EUjobdavw

I don't believe it. That was way too funny to be real.

I had no idea the blu-rays were this bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDCjIjsZp_Y

Freakazoid_ fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 31, 2013

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, what the gently caress was going through their heads I have no idea.

'Nooooooooo' rhymes with 'noooooooooooooooo' :smug:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I watched Return of the Jedi for the first time since my early teens the other day as part of an 80s movie project. I remember liking it a lot as a kid, preferring it to Empire as it had more action in it. I was surprised just how bad it was. The high point is the Luke/Vader/Emperor stuff and the space battle, but pretty much everything else is deathly dull.

Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher act like they're watching paint dry. Ford clearly doesn't give a poo poo at all about this and would obviously rather be elsewhere.

Also there's just something screwed up about the pacing; the whole Jabba's Palace sequence should have been trimmed right down or crosscut with some other developments happening elsewhere, the trip back to see Yoda is just a boring lump of exposition and pretty much everything on Endor (except the hoverbike sequence) is dull, the forest battle moves at a glacial pace (and is essentially a series of Ewok slapstick gags) and there's zero sense of spatial awareness.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 31, 2013

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I get what you're saying, but drawing a line saying 'this division of Lucasarts is pure and represents the rebellion' was never an option. That's why the prequels and special editions establish that no aspect of Star Wars is pure. The new canonicity is not narrative but concerns the format and distribution. 'Authentic' Star Wars is now only available in bootlegs and torrents, as it probably should be.
In other words, this is how democracy dies--with box office gold. Lucas effectively shattered the mythos that he himself created and turned it into something grotesque, and made billions from it.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
Dammit, guys. I had honestly completely forgotten about the blu-ray versions of Obi-Wan's Krayt dragon call in ANH and Vader's "NooOOooOOooOOOoo!" at the end of ROTJ. I've evidently only watched those blu-rays one time and then promptly blocked all that from my memory. :(

Otherwise, the blu-rays are nice because the sound and picture quality are so good, but there are still so many leftover problems introduced in the previous "remastered" DVD release, like Vader's lame-rear end pink lightsaber. I still don't understand how something like that got through any kind of quality control. Or if it was an "artistic decision" to leave it that way, that's even worse.

Having Ian McDiarmid added into TESB is a worthwhile change over the monkey-woman Emperor, although I'm not sure about the new dialogue. Changing Boba Fett's voice practically neuters the character, and Vader's ROTJ "NooOOooOOooOOOoo!" really takes you out of an otherwise powerful scene.

Star Wars fans have had such an ongoing beatdown. I'd like to say the new trilogy and spinoffs will change that, but at this point I'd honestly be fine if they just didn't make any more movies at all. I'm still annoyed the canceled the Clone War series, but now I'm looking forward to Rebels. At least that takes place in an era that's still otherwise mostly unexplored, at a time when so many great things should be going on. We should be able to see Vader hunting down Jedi, Boba Fett being a badass, the Empire's political and military machine kicking into high gear, and sights and sounds more like the OT than the prequels.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think someone out there meticulously went thru the new blu rays and corrected everything themselves, no?

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009
I found a fan edit of Jedi which I really enjoyed. Aside from making sure there were no horrible new things (like Ewok blinks, pink lightsabers, or vader NoOoOos), it cut Boba Fett out of the Tattooine storyline (so he doesn't go out like a punk) and it trimmed the Ewoks' antics as much as possible (so they look as believable as warriors as cuddly toys can be).

But most significantly, it does (seamlessly) reshape a little of the plot, using establishing shots of the Super Star Destroyer and having the Death Star visible from the Emperor's throne room, to actually move the Luke/Emperor showdown off the Death Star.

The author's justification for doing this was that there was no jepoardy in the final battle. Everyone's trying to destroy the Death Star, but three main characters are on there so you know nothing's going to happen in the battle until that's all resolved. This way Luke's fighting the Emperor while the Death Star is still a significant race-against-time threat, which really improves the pacing and drama of that section.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

I think someone out there meticulously went thru the new blu rays and corrected everything themselves, no?

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Harmys-STAR-WARS-Despecialized-Edition-HD-REMASTERED-v21-AVCHD-is-now-out/topic/12713/

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

EddieDean posted:

I found a fan edit of Jedi which I really enjoyed. Aside from making sure there were no horrible new things (like Ewok blinks, pink lightsabers, or vader NoOoOos), it cut Boba Fett out of the Tattooine storyline (so he doesn't go out like a punk) and it trimmed the Ewoks' antics as much as possible (so they look as believable as warriors as cuddly toys can be).

But most significantly, it does (seamlessly) reshape a little of the plot, using establishing shots of the Super Star Destroyer and having the Death Star visible from the Emperor's throne room, to actually move the Luke/Emperor showdown off the Death Star.

The author's justification for doing this was that there was no jepoardy in the final battle. Everyone's trying to destroy the Death Star, but three main characters are on there so you know nothing's going to happen in the battle until that's all resolved. This way Luke's fighting the Emperor while the Death Star is still a significant race-against-time threat, which really improves the pacing and drama of that section.

I'm not sure how I feel about cutting Fett out of RotJ. His presence at least counters Luke somewhat, and gives Jabba's side somewhat of a fighting chance.

I suggested a while back having a new scene inserted, where you can see Fett's POV as he flies towards the barge (with a green-tinted HUD screen, perhaps), with the words MISFIRE flashing on his heads-up display. I'm aware that it's a terrible idea.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Red posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about cutting Fett out of RotJ. His presence at least counters Luke somewhat, and gives Jabba's side somewhat of a fighting chance.

I suggested a while back having a new scene inserted, where you can see Fett's POV as he flies towards the barge (with a green-tinted HUD screen, perhaps), with the words MISFIRE flashing on his heads-up display. I'm aware that it's a terrible idea.

I think his inclusion was well intentioned. Lucas and his writers probably thought audiences would have loved to see Boba Fett get his comeuppance for his deeds in Empire, but they didn't take his popularity as a character into account.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I think his inclusion was well intentioned. Lucas and his writers probably thought audiences would have loved to see Boba Fett get his comeuppance for his deeds in Empire, but they didn't take his popularity as a character into account.
I've never understood why they Fett died the way he did in RotJ until I read this sentence. Everything makes so much sense now!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Here's a weird thing. Before the special editions I noticed a change in Empire on the VHS. This is the first change I noticed and I have no idea when it happened. I think it was the first time Lucas hosed with anything and was foreshadowing.

After the thing in the moat on Dagobah eats Artoo and spits him across the sky Luke goes over and cleans him up.

In the original film he says "You're lucky you don't taste very good."

Somewhere along the line this got changed to "You were lucky to get out of there."

Why? Anybody know when this happened? I was like, that line was kinda clever and funny. Why would they change it? Oh the horror to come.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

kiimo posted:

Here's a weird thing. Before the special editions I noticed a change in Empire on the VHS. This is the first change I noticed and I have no idea when it happened. I think it was the first time Lucas hosed with anything and was foreshadowing.

After the thing in the moat on Dagobah eats Artoo and spits him across the sky Luke goes over and cleans him up.

Somewhere along the line this got changed to "You were lucky to get out of there."

Why? Anybody know when this happened? I was like, that line was kinda clever and funny. Why would they change it? Oh the horror to come.

Good Christ what an absolute asinine thing to do.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Maybe another edit is in order. This time Mark Hamil can read all his lines as if he's acting for the Joker.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

kiimo posted:

Disney should finally release HD restorations of the original versions but then just leave one small change like this to piss off the tiny percentage of fans who would notice and care.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Apparently the first line was ad-libbed by Mark Hamill so I imagine they changed it to comply with Lucas' ~original vision~ or something.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
It was one of the scenes that hinted at the more apparent sexual relationship between Luke and the droids that was excised shortly after filming wrapped.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

My understanding of that line is that it's not just a simple Special Edition change. The original trilogy films all had a bunch of different sound mixes, and the different mixes sometimes had different lines or (in the case of Aunt Beru) different actors reading the lines. You might hear different versions of that line depending on how/where you saw the movie. My understanding is that most of the pre-Special Edition video releases used a mix with the (superior) "You're lucky you don't taste very good" line, but when they made the Special Editions they worked from a mix with the "You were lucky to get out of there" line.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Danger posted:

It was one of the scenes that hinted at the more apparent sexual relationship between Luke and the droids that was excised shortly after filming wrapped.

Uuuuhhh...whut?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Gatts posted:

Uuuuhhh...whut?

It just goes on from here man you can't unsee it so don't look it up.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I may be crazy but I distinctly remember that when I saw Episode II in theatre, after Padme fell out of the hovership onto the sand dune during the battle at the end, someone goes up to her and asks her if she's OK, and she loving SPRUNG up to her feet and said "I'M FINE" and then ran off the screen in hilarious fashion. But every time since, when I've seen the movie on TV, she has a much more muted (and realistic) reaction where she slowly gets up while holding her head and is kind of like "I'm fine...." before walking it off. Is this just a product of my fevered imagination, or is it another thing that got changed between the theatrical and later releases? Not that the change wasn't for the better in this instance.

e: nevermind, I looked it up and I wasn't hallucinating. Holy crap was that original cut ever bad though.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

EddieDean posted:

That sounds really loving terrible. That change destroys the whole aspect of the Emperor and his overconfidence and neuters any synergy with the rest of the plot lines. Where would those scenes even take place? Whoever made that seems to miss the entire point of the movie.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

colonel_korn posted:

I may be crazy but I distinctly remember that when I saw Episode II in theatre, after Padme fell out of the hovership onto the sand dune during the battle at the end, someone goes up to her and asks her if she's OK, and she loving SPRUNG up to her feet and said "I'M FINE" and then ran off the screen in hilarious fashion. But every time since, when I've seen the movie on TV, she has a much more muted (and realistic) reaction where she slowly gets up while holding her head and is kind of like "I'm fine...." before walking it off. Is this just a product of my fevered imagination, or is it another thing that got changed between the theatrical and later releases? Not that the change wasn't for the better in this instance.

e: nevermind, I looked it up and I wasn't hallucinating. Holy crap was that original cut ever bad though.

I'm pretty sure only the line changed. She didn't get up and run away any quicker in the theatrical version.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Speaking of which does anybody remember in Episode 1 where Anakin is talking to Padme, I think it was the "I'm not a slave I'm a person!" conversation? (side note: UGH) Because in the theater I distinctly remember seeing Jake Lloyd mouthing Natalie Portman's lines while she was saying them. I thought that was pretty bush league that Lucas and his editors allowed that to get past them.

I bet they didn't change that part. That would make too much sense.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

kiimo posted:

Speaking of which does anybody remember in Episode 1 where Anakin is talking to Padme, I think it was the "I'm not a slave I'm a person!" conversation? (side note: UGH) Because in the theater I distinctly remember seeing Jake Lloyd mouthing Natalie Portman's lines while she was saying them. I thought that was pretty bush league that Lucas and his editors allowed that to get past them.

I bet they didn't change that part. That would make too much sense.

I don't remember that specific example from Ep1, but Harrison Ford mouthes one of Carrie Fisher's lines in ESB so it's not like sketchy editing is a prequel-only thing.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

More than that, Fett is taken out because he's a 'badass' masked rear end in a top hat whose sole character trait is that he's quiet and needlessly violent. That he randomly trips and falls into a massive vagina is a deliberate joke against his popularity. It's the same joke as Yoda posing like a badass because he's teamed up with a billion CG Fetts (which is the essentially the same joke as his Yoda-sized lightsaber). "Jango Fett, a cool dude is." Nope; you've hosed up, Yoda - and now everybody's dead!

Fett is almost directly opposed to the decidedly not-badass ewoks, who are more vital than you'd think. There's a reason the closing music is Yub Nub.

But now, here's the real joke: in Attack Of The Clones, we're told that Boba Fett is an unaltered clone - meaning obviously that Jango wants a son he can nurture into someone different from himself. Now, depending on which films you watch, Boba will be voiced by either Temurea Morrison or Jason Wingreen. It's a choose your own adventure - where choosing the special editions means that Jango fails, and Boba is never freed of his genetic fate.

Boba in Attack is also a mirror of Anakin, born without a mother as Anakin is born without a father. So this isn't random fan service but something that cuts to the heart of what this Clone film is really about.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Diabolik900 posted:

I'm pretty sure only the line changed. She didn't get up and run away any quicker in the theatrical version.

No, you're actually wrong about this. She definitely got RIGHT up in the theatrical with no notice given that she jumped from 80 feet up in the scene before. In the DVD, she stumbles and gets up. It's one of those "secret" changes that aren't mentioned much because very few people noticed it in the first place (but just enough for Lucas to catch it and decide to change it). I've only seen this change noted once, and it was relatively soon after the DVD was released. Even the prequels have a few "hidden" changes to the DVD releases so that many people forget how the theatrical goes (as in this case).

Darko fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 31, 2013

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

You could very well be right, but I've never heard anyone mention them changing anything other than the line before. Like you said though, it's definitely an easy one to miss.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

zVxTeflon posted:

That sounds really loving terrible. That change destroys the whole aspect of the Emperor and his overconfidence and neuters any synergy with the rest of the plot lines. Where would those scenes even take place? Whoever made that seems to miss the entire point of the movie.

Yeah, especially the conversation where Luke is like 'You're wrong. Soon I'll be dead, and you with me' and the Emporer's like 'perhaps you refer to the imminent attack of your Rebel fleet? I assure you, we are quite safe from your friends here.' 'Your overconfidence is your weakness.' 'Your faith in your friends is yours!'

Luke's plan in a nutshell, as much as there was one. Confront Palpatine, stall or don't let him leave, Rebels blow up Death Star. Not even that much of a martyrdom since he's been seeing the ghost of Obi Wan for quite a while by then.

Makes no drat sense if they're on the SSD. Not to mention that Ackbar's fleet specifically blows up that drat ship halfway through the battle? I guess that moron edited that out too?

drat incoherent fan edits :argh:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Party Boat posted:

Apparently the first line was ad-libbed by Mark Hamill so I imagine they changed it to comply with Lucas' ~original vision~ or something.

Yeah it's something that I've heard Lucas had a big fight with Kershner about during production,

'Remember when I killed your father, Lukey? I sounded...just...like...this!'

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

As an aside, the fact that Jango Fett specifically asked for and received a tiny copy of himself to raise as though he were his son is a delightfully bonkers bit of characterization that doesn't receive nearly the attention that it should. The Clonemaster Whatevers share this and Obi Wan is like "Oh yeah okay cool" and no one pays it a second thought.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

My biggest problem with fan edits is that they ignore score's effect on the films and completely destroy the whole movie by chopping up scenes, mindless of score. Secondarily, screen transitions and juxtapositions. They're invariably almost always created by people that apparently only care about "what happens" and don't realize how much other stuff they're simultaneously screwing up.

The ONE counterexample I can think of, is the edit of Terminator 3 that actually flows well, takes score into account, and legitimately makes it a better film.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Darko posted:

My biggest problem with fan edits is that they ignore score's effect on the films and completely destroy the whole movie by chopping up scenes, mindless of score. Secondarily, screen transitions and juxtapositions. They're invariably almost always created by people that apparently only care about "what happens" and don't realize how much other stuff they're simultaneously screwing up.

The ONE counterexample I can think of, is the edit of Terminator 3 that actually flows well, takes score into account, and legitimately makes it a better film.

How the gently caress would anything other than a reshoot make T3 a better film? Unless it's cut down to like 45 minutes or something.

v :golfclap: v

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 1, 2013

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

DrNutt posted:

How the gently caress would anything other than a reshoot make T3 a better film? Unless it's cut down to like 45 minutes or something.

All scenes with Arnie replaced with spliced-in footage from Pumping Iron

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DrNutt posted:

Removing all of the comic relief and some pointless scenes/sequences, while making a lot of other minor cuts made the film flow a lot better, completely improved the pacing, changed the plot a bit, and made the whole thing more visceral.

It's not the level of T1 or 2, but it's a completely watchable next tier entry, and it's all due to relatively minor edits and almost no additions. This is from a HUGE detractor of the theatrical version.

haakman
May 5, 2011
I found the ending to T3, when the nukes started going off, quite good, in a macabre way.

The rest of the film was shite though.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Darko posted:

Removing all of the comic relief and some pointless scenes/sequences, while making a lot of other minor cuts made the film flow a lot better, completely improved the pacing, changed the plot a bit, and made the whole thing more visceral.

It's not the level of T1 or 2, but it's a completely watchable next tier entry, and it's all due to relatively minor edits and almost no additions. This is from a HUGE detractor of the theatrical version.

I quite wanna watch this now. If it excises Arnie with the fabulous gay-guy glasses then it's a huge plus. I really liked the ending of T3 also.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I'd be curious to see that, too. I always thought T3 had a good movie hidden somewhere in there. There was just too much poo poo in the way. The action was good, Arnold wasn't too old yet (I'm worried about whatever comes next), and the ending surprised me. Terminator Salvation could have been at least decent, too, before they cast Christian Bale and reworked the plot to make John Connor a main character instead of the goal the actual main characters were trying to reach. Though what's left then still isn't fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Perhaps the next Terminator movie will feature a human old man Schwarzenegger versus the Rock Terminator.

...and then the Expendables smash through the wall in a space ship driven by Vin Diesel.

EDIT: That's carrying an Alien Queen and an imprisoned Predator...and it crashes in Detroit...in the near future.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 2, 2013

• Locked thread