Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

shmee posted:

Can anyone help with getting the last piece of fruit I need? It's this one:
(snip)

Go to the boss room where you fought the invisible moth-bat-thing and rescued Charlie, then take the back exit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Doc V posted:

Go to the boss room where you fought the invisible moth-bat-thing and rescued Charlie, then take the back exit.

Awesome, thanks for that, I'd missed it somehow!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm kinda stuck and there's not really any walkthroughs around right now, so can someone in the thread tell me where I'm supposed to go? I just beat the second boss.

I got Charlie, but I don't know where to go next. I did a bunch of stuff requiring 3 people in the Tropical Wilds and there's a signal there I'm supposed to try and reach, but I can't figure out how. Do I need to get blue or flying Pikmin to proceed or something? I feel dumb

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself
Look around close to the spawn area!

Go to the Tropical Wilds. Head over the first bridge you built and hang a right. There is a section requiring all 3 captains, you need to throw 2 to the middle platform and then one of them throws the other to the opposite side. There is a ramp here to push down and a path to the signal area.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

DuFfY posted:

Look around close to the spawn area!

Go to the Tropical Wilds. Head over the first bridge you built and hang a right. There is a section requiring all 3 captains, you need to throw 2 to the middle platform and then one of them throws the other to the opposite side. There is a ramp here to push down and a path to the signal area.

Thanks! I had picked up the datafile on that platform on an earlier day without realising I could reach another area from it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That third boss is a god drat pushover by the way. Take rocks.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

njsykora posted:

That third boss is a god drat pushover by the way. Take rocks.

I had most difficulty with the first one, and that was just because I was getting to grips with the camera at the time and kept just being a dumbass.

The bosses aren't as tough as I thought, so long as you work out what the strategy for each one is.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Replaying Pikmin 2 at the moment and noticing that the Bulbmin probably have the saddest fate. They're essentially Bulborbs infected by parasitic Pikmin that take over their brain activity. You kill their mom/dad, use them as cannon fodder, and then abandon them to starve or be eaten by predators once you've looted their habitat.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The solution is to turn as many Bulbmin into other kinds of Pikmin as possible!

But yeah it's really sad seeing their little faces looking up at me as I geyser away.

So jealous of you guys who have this game already. I'm getting a Wii U on Thursday so I can pick Pikmin up as soon as it's available on Sunday and play it right away.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

The solution is to turn as many Bulbmin into other kinds of Pikmin as possible!

But then what happens to the Bulborbs? :ohdear:

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

LAY-ZX posted:

nature dictates theres infinity of them everytime you re-enter the same hole, so don't worry!

What really needs to go extinct are the terrible bulbears :argh:

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario
Oh hey, there's a Pikmin megathread? How about that.

Pikmin is one of those games I've always meant to get, but I waited for Pikmin 3.

Basically what I'm saying is that I'm getting my first Pikmin game on Sunday and I have no clue what to do. Are there any rules of thumb or things like that I should know before I start?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Accursed Walrus posted:

Pikmin is one of those games I've always meant to get, but I waited for Pikmin 3.

Basically what I'm saying is that I'm getting my first Pikmin game on Sunday and I have no clue what to do. Are there any rules of thumb or things like that I should know before I start?

Lose just one pikmin and you're a monster beyond redemption

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Accursed Walrus posted:

When the 10 second countdown appears, the day is over. Don't ever try and squeeze in one extra kill.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bland posted:

Lose just one pikmin and you're a monster beyond redemption

Leave one behind and you're probably worse than Hitler. :godwin:

Seriously, no game makes me feel as bad as Pikmin does if I ever leave one behind. And there always seems to be at least one every playthrough.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

There is truly nothing sadder in this world than Pikmin death

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Sire Oblivion posted:

Leave one behind and you're probably worse than Hitler. :godwin:

Seriously, no game makes me feel as bad as Pikmin does if I ever leave one behind. And there always seems to be at least one every playthrough.

Leaving Pikmin behind and seeing them run desperately for the Onion as it takes off is 1000x worse than losing a few in a fight. However the little angry stomp bulborbs do when you get them all out of the day safely is motivation enough.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Pixeltendo posted:

nature dictates theres infinity of them everytime you re-enter the same hole, so don't worry!

What really needs to go extinct are the terrible bulbears :argh:

At least the events of 2 got rid of every last dweevil from the looks of things. Of course that probably wrecked things ecosystem wise. Dweevils weren't even predatory towards pikmin if I remember. They mostly kept to the caves and one subspecies just had a bad habit of blowing themselves and anybody else around them up.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Viewtiful Jew posted:

At least the events of 2 got rid of every last dweevil from the looks of things. Of course that probably wrecked things ecosystem wise. Dweevils weren't even predatory towards pikmin if I remember. They mostly kept to the caves and one subspecies just had a bad habit of blowing themselves and anybody else around them up.

I keep getting confused because the captains are from a different planet, but is the planet in Pikmin 3 still the same one we've been to in 1 and 2? Are there any more familiar locations like there were in 2?

njsykora posted:

Leaving Pikmin behind and seeing them run desperately for the Onion as it takes off is 1000x worse than losing a few in a fight. However the little angry stomp bulborbs do when you get them all out of the day safely is motivation enough.

Losing them in battle is horrible, but when you go back to the area a few days later and find some flower Pikmin waiting for you it takes away the sting a little bit :3:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

MissileWaster posted:

I keep getting confused because the captains are from a different planet, but is the planet in Pikmin 3 still the same one we've been to in 1 and 2? Are there any more familiar locations like there were in 2?

Losing them in battle is horrible, but when you go back to the area a few days later and find some flower Pikmin waiting for you it takes away the sting a little bit :3:

Olimar and Louie are from Hocotate

Alph, Brittany, and Charlie are fromm Koppai

All games take place on PNF-404 (Earth)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

LAY-ZX posted:

It is not our place to question the mechanisms of the candypop buds.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Gah, the game pulls a giant dick move after the 4th boss. Which was already a pain in the rear end to fight.

After rescuing Louie he runs off with all your juice, which in my case was 23 bottles. Then blows up a wall in the first area to open up the rest of the stage. So it effectively resets your time to zero, though it does also throw up a few easy fruits and finally gave me blue Pikmin so I can handle it for now.

I think I'm getting better at managing separate squads, at least in situations where I only need one type of Pikmin to do a thing.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Olimar and Louie are from Hocotate

Alph, Brittany, and Charlie are fromm Koppai

All games take place on PNF-404 (Earth)

That's what I thought, but some reviews here and there unintentionally make it more confusing than it has to be. Thanks for the clarification!

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Though I'm planning on getting the game when it releases in the States on Sunday, I haven't been following it too intensely. I have a big question: Do the caves from Pikmin 2 return, or have an equivalent? Those really brought the game down a bit for me, because they felt more like endurance runs than actual levels.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

From what I understand the whole game takes place in the outside areas, which are bigger and more complex, and there are more of them. So you're in luck!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Behonkiss posted:

Though I'm planning on getting the game when it releases in the States on Sunday, I haven't been following it too intensely. I have a big question: Do the caves from Pikmin 2 return, or have an equivalent? Those really brought the game down a bit for me, because they felt more like endurance runs than actual levels.

There are no dungeon-like caves. There are caves which often contain self-contained puzzles and occasionally a boss fight but they're presented as just areas of the wider level. So you can always leave and come back if you're not equipped for them.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I would be pretty interested in seeing people's end game stats because I feel like mine are kind of terrible Linked in case people don't want...fruit spoiled?

I lost a ridiculous amount of Pikmin. I got reckless in the last 8 days or so where I was just gathering all of the fruit and I think that's actually where most of the deaths happened. (Especially the blue pikmin deaths) I also lost like 90 in the final boss fight. 13 hours is probably a lot slower than most people too, because early on in the game I constantly restarted if I didn't do everything I wanted in the day.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I would be pretty interested in seeing people's end game stats because I feel like mine are kind of terrible Linked in case people don't want...fruit spoiled?

I lost a ridiculous amount of Pikmin. I got reckless in the last 8 days or so where I was just gathering all of the fruit and I think that's actually where most of the deaths happened. (Especially the blue pikmin deaths) I also lost like 90 in the final boss fight. 13 hours is probably a lot slower than most people too, because early on in the game I constantly restarted if I didn't do everything I wanted in the day.

I'm at the final boss and I've lost about 300. However I've got nowhere near as much fruit and I'm at day 31. I'll probably run through it again to get all the fruit then once more to do it as quickly as I can.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Not out until tomorrow, but there's one thing I want to know: Does Pikmin 3 still have real world brand name things?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Detective No. 27 posted:

Not out until tomorrow, but there's one thing I want to know: Does Pikmin 3 still have real world brand name things?

No. There is no treasure at all, only fruit.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Preorder cancelled.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

There actually still are a few non-fruit things you can collect. Old cell phones.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The fruit is still given wonderfully goofy names though. Like the Firebreathing Feast which is a dragonfruit.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

njsykora posted:

The fruit is still given wonderfully goofy names though. Like the Firebreathing Feast which is a dragonfruit.

Is there a list of the fruit names in English anywhere yet? I'd like to see what they are called and how it matches the Japanese. For example, the peach in Japanese is "コシリソックリ" which means "like a small bum". What is that in the English translation?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

shmee posted:

Is there a list of the fruit names in English anywhere yet? I'd like to see what they are called and how it matches the Japanese. For example, the peach in Japanese is "コシリソックリ" which means "like a small bum". What is that in the English translation?

It's called (if I have the right fruit here) a Lesser Mock Bottom so I'm happy it at least referenced the classic Japanese depiction being effectively an rear end-fruit.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Does this go up at midnight on the eShop, or do I have to wait until tomorrow?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Should be up at midnight PST.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I wanna say retail downloads go up at EST rather than PST but despite answering this question a jillion times I still mix 'em up.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Mr. Trampoline posted:

It's live now and went up at midnight EST like always. Search for Pikmin and you can buy it from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Pikmin 3 is out now on the eshop in the US. :D

• Locked thread