Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

massive spider posted:

The thing about Tone is that Dredd didn't have much comic book stuff the movie was all contained in one tower block, so there could be anything going on outside in mega city we don't know.

Yeah I think that Urban's Judge Dredd works well with both the serious stuff and the comedy, so they could go in any number of directions in a sequel. They could have him gunning down Chopper and Democracy protestors or they could have him hassling fatties and dealing with Walter the Wobot, either extreme would work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet
I still can't believe that Judge Dredd made more money at the box office than Dredd. Dredd also had the 3.00$+ 3D surcharge too.

:negative:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Devour posted:

I still can't believe that Judge Dredd made more money at the box office than Dredd. Dredd also had the 3.00$+ 3D surcharge too.

:negative:

The fact that so many people went to see Judge Dredd is probably WHY so many people didn't go to see Dredd 3D. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Or it's just a question of star power.

Plump and Ready
Jan 28, 2009
It probably was that, I mean do any of Karl Urban's movies do gangbusters when he is the star; even if they do how can he even dream of competing with the star power that is Rob Schneider?

Plump and Ready fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 30, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

MrMo posted:

It probably was that, I mean do any of Karl Urban's movies do gangbusters when he is the star; even if they do how can he even dream of competing with the star power that is Rob Schneider?

I'm not seeing the point of sarcasm here. Or do you really think Sylvester Stallone isn't a good enough explanation for why the moviegoing public went to see Judge Dredd?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I prefer movies with lesser knowns. I didn't go see Dredd specifically because of the Judge Dredd one, I thought the new one was a cash in on an upgrade Judge Dredd 3D version.

But the lesser known the actors, the more the movie has to rely on story and I like good story.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

KoRMaK posted:

I prefer movies with lesser knowns. I didn't go see Dredd specifically because of the Judge Dredd one, I thought the new one was a cash in on an upgrade Judge Dredd 3D version.

But the lesser known the actors, the more the movie has to rely on story and I like good story.

Don't get me wrong, I think Dredd is a vastly superior movie. Any sympathy I have for the 1995 film at all comes from nostalgia. However, I still think you're confusing causation and correlation here.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Don't get me wrong, I think Dredd is a vastly superior movie. Any sympathy I have for the 1995 film at all comes from nostalgia. However, I still think you're confusing causation and correlation here.
I was just speaking for myself. The lack of a big star probably played differently for the majority of movie goers.

Plump and Ready
Jan 28, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm not seeing the point of sarcasm here. Or do you really think Sylvester Stallone isn't a good enough explanation for why the moviegoing public went to see Judge Dredd?

It's the sad truth, no sarcasm included. :(

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So I did finally get to watch 'Dredd', and I liked it quite a bit. I definitely prefer the Stallone movie's depiction of Mega City One, though; it actually felt, well, futuristic. I didn't mind it as much once they were inside Peach Trees, but the opening sequence of the movie didn't feel nearly as futuristic as I think it was supposed to.

Movie was still pretty kickass, though. I didn't expect it to be so gory or violent, but I'm really not complaining. I'd be more than happy to see more Dredd movies starring Karl Urban.

Squibidyflop
Jul 30, 2013

I thought the best part about the movie was the casting. Karl Urban is a fantastic Dredd once you stop thinking of him as Bones from Star Trek, and Lena Headey is the perfect (albeit obvious) choice for a badass female villain. Olivia Thirlby is fairly weak by comparison, but still manages to hold her own. I also really liked the effects for the Slo-Mo, it gave a sense of what it might be like to be on future-drugs while still being visually interesting.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...

Xenomrph posted:

So I did finally get to watch 'Dredd', and I liked it quite a bit. I definitely prefer the Stallone movie's depiction of Mega City One, though; it actually felt, well, futuristic. I didn't mind it as much once they were inside Peach Trees, but the opening sequence of the movie didn't feel nearly as futuristic as I think it was supposed to.

While this is mostly due to budget constraints, I feel the movie's narrated explanation ("a new world built on the back of the old one", or some such line) feels like a much more realistic and believable future that matches the movie's tone far more than a crazy neon dystopian futurescape would have.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This is where I realized how good an actress Lena Headey is- she's great on Game of Thrones but this is a different kind of character and attitude so she gets to show her range more. And Urban is some kind of chameleon- Red was on TV recently and I didn't recognize the guy trying to kill everyone was also Dredd, Eomer, and Leonard "Bones" McCoy.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

BreakAtmo posted:

The fact that so many people went to see Judge Dredd is probably WHY so many people didn't go to see Dredd 3D. :v:
It was 17 years since the Stallone film. It's ancient history. Maybe Karl Urban doesn't have much pulling power. Or maybe Dredd is too obscure a character for anyone outside the UK to care.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

This is where I realized how good an actress Lena Headey is- she's great on Game of Thrones but this is a different kind of character and attitude so she gets to show her range more.

She should stick to villain roles. I think she was terrible when she was supposes to give that big inspirational speech in 300.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress Karl Urban needs to get back into this role.

They could be chin twins.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Baron Bifford posted:

It was 17 years since the Stallone film. It's ancient history.

It's adorable that anyone thinks this.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I know it sticks out a lot in the minds of Dredd fans, but I don't think everyone else's memory is that long. Batman and Robin wasn't the kiss of death for Batman.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Everyone I've lent my blu-ray of Dredd to has assumed it's a remake or a sequel to the Stallone film until I explained otherwise. The well was poisoned years ago, and the marketing for the recent film did nothing to allay fears.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Baron Bifford posted:

I know it sticks out a lot in the minds of Dredd fans, but I don't think everyone else's memory is that long. Batman and Robin wasn't the kiss of death for Batman.

Yeah but imagine if Batman and Robin represented the entirety of the Batman franchise to the majority of people. Or worse, if the assumption was that there was no Batman franchise, and that thenceforth anything Batman-related must be a spinoff/remake of Batman and Robin.

Plus, a kiss of death ain't no thing. Just put on some wax lips.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Baron Bifford posted:

I really do see it as a kiss of death because the only way people could stomach more Batman was to totally reboot everything, which Nolan did and of course compared to what came before everyone loved it. When you have to shut down an ongoing franchise for a decade and reboot it completely thats pretty much my definition of the kiss of death, at least for Batman. Batman and Superman will always get more chances no matter how bad they gently caress up.

And Batman and Robin did define Batman for a lot of people for those years. Nobody talked about the first movie anymore, it was all nipple and ice skating jokes.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Basebf555 posted:

I really do see it as a kiss of death because the only way people could stomach more Batman was to totally reboot everything, which Nolan did and of course compared to what came before everyone loved it. When you have to shut down an ongoing franchise for a decade and reboot it completely thats pretty much my definition of the kiss of death, at least for Batman. Batman and Superman will always get more chances no matter how bad they gently caress up.

And Batman and Robin did define Batman for a lot of people for those years. Nobody talked about the first movie anymore, it was all nipple and ice skating jokes.

Also Batman Begins underperformed even the first Batman movie in gross earnings (both domestic and worldwide) despite the massive difference in ticket prices for 1989 vs. 2005 and expansion in access to overseas markets.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/batman-movie-franchise-sales-statistics/
code:
Batman Movie 		Year 	Budget (Mill) 	Worldwide Gross
The Dark Knight Rises 	2012 	$250 		$1,080,472,000
The Dark Knight 	2008 	$185 		$1,002,000,000
Batman Begins 		2005 	$150 		$372,710,000
Batman and Robin 	1997 	$125 		$238,207,000
Batman Forever 		1995 	$100 		$336,529,000
Batman Returns 		1992 	$80 		$266,822,000
Batman 			1989 	$35 		$411,348,000
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?id=batmanvs.htm

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Beyond sane knolls posted:

Yeah but imagine if Batman and Robin represented the entirety of the Batman franchise to the majority of people. Or worse, if the assumption was that there was no Batman franchise, and that thenceforth anything Batman-related must be a spinoff/remake of Batman and Robin.

Remember that in 1989, the sum total knowledge the average person had of Batman was Adam West, and not necessarily in a kind way.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

mr. stefan posted:

Remember that in 1989, the sum total knowledge the average person had of Batman was Adam West, and not necessarily in a kind way.

And that's where the marketing aspect comes in. Everything they did on the marketing end for 89 was in your face about this not being your daddies Batman. Dredd had a pretty generic, kind of terrible marketing campaign that didn't really get across any of the stuff that made the film great.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Alhazred posted:

She should stick to villain roles. I think she was terrible when she was supposes to give that big inspirational speech in 300.
She was pretty solid in the Terminator TV series, too.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alhazred posted:

That's probably because the Spartans were just as bad as the Persians and all that talk about "democracy" and "freedom" was hollow talk when they owned and abused slaves.

Xenomrph posted:

She was pretty solid in the Terminator TV series, too.

Word.

100Dachshunds
Oct 11, 2009

GOCHARMSPRINGS
I love this movie so much. I need a sequel so I have more excuses to wear this:

100Dachshunds fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 1, 2013

Menator
Dec 9, 2008
Owning it is surely all the reason needed to wear it. That is awesome.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I wish I had the talent to make such a thing or even just the money to get someone to do it. :smith:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

100Dachshunds posted:

I love this movie so much. I need a sequel so I have more excuses to wear this:

Extra props for custom badge.

Can you share what supplies you used for the badge, helmet and outfit?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

I wish I had the talent to make such a thing or even just the money to get someone to do it. :smith:

I've never done cosplay, but I'm pretty sure if I tried I'd spend months working on it and end up with something that looked like a cheap Halloween costume, not something that looks ripped right from the movie like that Judge outfit. It really is a talent.

100Dachshunds
Oct 11, 2009

GOCHARMSPRINGS
It's a process, haha... The best I can say here is that you can buy almost all the parts over at the Replica Prop Forum. They have a dedicated Dredd forum:

http://www.therpf.com/judge-dredd-costume-group/

If you're a dude, you can buy literally everything there, piece by piece-- total will come out to around $2500/$3000.

If you're a chick like me you have to make the leathers/armor yourself because nobody sells it and there are a few big differences between male/female suits. The armor is EVA foam -- the stuff grocery store cashiers stand on to alleviate the pain of standing for hours.

As for the badge, I bought one that said 'DREDD' then dremeled off the letters and cut new letters from a sheet of sintra (signmakers plastic) and just glued them in. After the thing was painted it looked pretty seamless.

You can learn to make all sorts of neat stuff if you put in some time and practice!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I think the best part of that pic is The Scowl :mad:. You nailed it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm loving the scowl combined with the Polite Gun Pinky. Who was your range instructor, Scud the Disposable Assassin?

100Dachshunds
Oct 11, 2009

GOCHARMSPRINGS

Phy posted:

I'm loving the scowl combined with the Polite Gun Pinky. Who was your range instructor, Scud the Disposable Assassin?

Have to keep in touch with my feminine side.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

100Dachshunds posted:

As for the badge, I bought one that said 'DREDD' then dremeled off the letters and cut new letters from a sheet of sintra (signmakers plastic) and just glued them in. After the thing was painted it looked pretty seamless.

You can learn to make all sorts of neat stuff if you put in some time and practice!

If I were to make a badge for myself it'd have a surname a letter longer than "ANDERSON", which already looks sort of cramped. Wonder what judges with super long names think of having tiny letters crammed in there - sort of takes away from the effect.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arschlochkind posted:

If I were to make a badge for myself it'd have a surname a letter longer than "ANDERSON", which already looks sort of cramped. Wonder what judges with super long names think of having tiny letters crammed in there - sort of takes away from the effect.
Yeah, if I were to make a badge, I'd likely make up a name. I don't think my actual last name would fit on the badge. Dellamarggio :suicide:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

This is where I realized how good an actress Lena Headey is- she's great on Game of Thrones but this is a different kind of character and attitude so she gets to show her range more. And Urban is some kind of chameleon- Red was on TV recently and I didn't recognize the guy trying to kill everyone was also Dredd, Eomer, and Leonard "Bones" McCoy.

He was also the Russian master assassin in one of the Bourne Identity films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Beyond sane knolls posted:

I don't think people necessarily thought Dredd was a sequal/remake of Dredd 95' though, so much as they thought "well they tried to do this before, and it sucked so obviously its a waste of time and the character is just bad and dumb".

Imagine if a new Tank Girl movie or something came out and it was a actually good.

• Locked thread