Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
When I bought my 3DS and saw it had the same basic interface I was prepared for the worst, but I was absolutely shocked at how snappy and responsive everything was. I have no idea how or why the WiiU operating system its so slow. And for the love of god add folders. My software is splayed out over like four pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe

CapnAndy posted:

Best solution might be to blow it all up and go third party. Not permanently! Get your R&D guys working on first being able to match next gen stuff, and then tell them "okay, now figure out what's next". They'll have plenty of time. Meanwhile you can figure out HD game development in an environment where three decent games a year is actually okay, because you're not carrying the weight of supporting an entire console on your shoulders any more.

Plus, it might be the only way they'll ever figure out what other people want. Force them to develop in someone else's environment and actually see what it's like compared to theirs. Rub their noses in what's expected of a modern game studio, including using the Internet. Who knows, a miracle might happen and they might even realize why the other way is better and they've been hamstringing themselves by insisting on proprietary bullshit.

Thing is, with the PS3 & 360 having been out & successful for so long they should have had a pretty good idea of what's popular. They took a look at two big consoles that have sold millions of units which have the ability to stream media over the network, fairly easy to use interfaces and great storage capacity (The PS3 launched initially with what, 20 or 40GB?) and decided that to innovate they'll launch a console with 8GB of storage which can't stream or even play a DVD, coupled with an OS that despite getting better is still excruciatingly slow compared to its counterparts.

I'd love for Nintendo to go 3rd party but knowing them they're more likely to announce the Wii U XL++ first.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Strange Matter posted:

It's endemic to every company though. Nintendo screwed themselves over coming out of the SNES with the Virtual Boy and the N64, Sony completely botched the first half of the PS3's lifetime, and then Nintendo and Microsoft both practically handed the next generation to Sony after the most recent E3. At least Microsoft had the sense to slam their plans into reverse gear once they realized what was going to happen. With Nintendo it's either too late or they're too scared/embarrassed to do that.

Nintendo's attitude to perceptions about the various console makers seems to be stuck in 2006, like they really imagined that Sony wasn't going to walk away with the new gen because they thought maybe people would still be sore with them over "599.99 US DOLLARS" and thought the success of the Wii would transfer over by giving the Wii U a loving horrible name. I contend the name more than anything hosed this console good.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Sir John Feelgood posted:

I think Nintendo makes beautiful home console games, so I hope they don't do that.

I played New Super Mario Bros. U, and I thought it looked great. I think Mario Kart 8 looks great too. I can't wait to play Wind Waker in HD.

It's kind of telling that all three experiences you named are essentially HD remakes of older titles, with only small tweaks to the gameplay. I'm not denying that all of these experiences are fun, but they're not worth $350 + tax + the time it takes to set up the hardware + the time it takes to set up the software.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Geek U.S.A. posted:

That's worse than my most pessimistic prediction. At this point they need to slash the price by a good 40~50%. Those sales are abysmal.

Shipment, not sales. Wii U was overshipped during the 2012 holiday season.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Cultisto posted:

Thing is, with the PS3 & 360 having been out & successful for so long they should have had a pretty good idea of what's popular.
Yes. Yes, they should have.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Strange Matter posted:

If Nintendo didn't abandon consoles after getting squashed two generations in a row with the N64 and the Gamecube, why would they do so after the WiiU?

The N64 and Gamecube did better than the Wii U. No business can repeatedly get squashed without either ceasing to exist or ceasing unprofitable behavior. I think they have at least one more home console in them, and their decision to continue making home consoles will hinge on its success.

Mr. Met
Jan 14, 2008

Personally I preferred the mixed nuts caper!
Speaking only for myself, I would never consider picking up a WiiU until there is a Mario game in the vein of Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy released for it. I own a Wii, along with very few games (Galaxy 1 and 2, Mario Kart, Smash, and Twilight Princess/Skyward Sword). I'd say buying the Wii was a complete mistake, except that the two Galaxy games might be my favorite games of all time. Depending on my finances, I might buy a console solely for a new version of that. But New Super Mario Bros. Wii and its ilk never interested me. I might be an anomaly, though.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

greatn posted:

When I bought my 3DS and saw it had the same basic interface I was prepared for the worst, but I was absolutely shocked at how snappy and responsive everything was. I have no idea how or why the WiiU operating system its so slow. And for the love of god add folders. My software is splayed out over like four pages.

It's slow because Nintendo probably rushed it and sucks at coding. There should be enough RAM in place to keep things peppy (as the recent OS patch shows) but it makes you ask what the hell they were doing with all the extra time they had.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Cultisto posted:

Thing is, with the PS3 & 360 having been out & successful for so long they should have had a pretty good idea of what's popular. They took a look at two big consoles that have sold millions of units which have the ability to stream media over the network, fairly easy to use interfaces and great storage capacity (The PS3 launched initially with what, 20 or 40GB?) and decided that to innovate they'll launch a console with 8GB of storage which can't stream or even play a DVD, coupled with an OS that despite getting better is still excruciatingly slow compared to its counterparts.

You see what's funny about this, is their stupid underpowered console outsold both of these, so why would they pay attention to them? Both of those companies threw money down a hole to get those sales, while the Wii made profit from day 1.

And what's popular now, is dumb CoD tinted bullshit. Nintendo is slowing getting their poo poo together, but everyone acts like they just say the name of a game and poof it's made.

They can't even buy proper 3rd party support, because no one is playing online, even though there are maybe 3 games with actual online play to begin with, all of which have bigger and better communities on other systems.

quote:

I'd love for Nintendo to go 3rd party

Why, so we can get a new Game&Mario every year? Nintendo was the only company making money last generation, but now suddenly they need to go, so my kids can play their games on iOS and I can't be seen as a babby if I hold a stupid gamepad.

And why are Nintendo "fans" so dumb and stupid they alone must buy every piece of poo poo that drops to them, in hopes the devs will graciously drop another dollop on them later. Ubisoft and EA proved all that would happen is the devs will figure out how little work they can do to make a profit, until they find the threshold. Then the myth evolves from, Nintendo fans only buy Nintendo games to consumers don't trust 3rd party on Nintendo consoles.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Toady posted:

The N64 and Gamecube did better than the Wii U. No business can repeatedly get squashed without either ceasing to exist or ceasing unprofitable behavior. I think they have at least one more home console in them, and their decision to continue making home consoles will hinge on its success.

N64 and Gamecube still made money. Wii U is the first that seems to be a failure in both sales and profits. Anyone acting as though this is the end of home console Nintendo because of one current failure is reactionary and living in their Mario on Playstation fantasy world. Especially when Sony is in its fourth year of losses and Nintendo is experiencing its first loss in the history of the company.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Louisgod posted:

It's slow because Nintendo probably rushed it and sucks at coding. There should be enough RAM in place to keep things peppy (as the recent OS patch shows) but it makes you ask what the hell they were doing with all the extra time they had.

They were realizing there was no actual "switch to HD" button.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Especially when Sony is in its fourth year of losses and Nintendo is experiencing its first loss in the history of the company.

Not sure if you saw but their Q1 earnings report from today detailed that they were profitable despite the poor WiiU sales, so they're not currently experiencing the continued decline in profit they saw prior.

bushisms.txt posted:

They were realizing there was no actual "switch to HD" button.

Yeah, from what they've said, it sounds like they didn't anticipate how much work it would be to transition from SD to HD since they had to bring in 3rd party consultation. Really they should offset as many of their IPs to other devs like Capcom and Sega so they can pump out as much software as possible. God knows they can afford it.

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 31, 2013

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

Fun Shoe

bushisms.txt posted:

They can't even buy proper 3rd party support, because no one is playing online, even though there are maybe 3 games with actual online play to begin with, all of which have bigger and better communities on other systems.

I bought Sonic All Stars Racing for the Wii U a few weeks ago because it was on "sale" for $30, even though I think I could have grabbed it on Steam for about $10 at the same time. This past weekend I decided to try playing online, there were 0 games/lobbies active so I was in an empty room for about 15 minutes before one other person showed up. We raced once, he quit, and I idled for another 15 minutes waiting for another soul before giving up. Sure it's an older game, but it's a perfect title for multiplayer and apparently there were two people on a Saturday afternoon on the entire internet who wanted to do it. It was depressing, especially when I check Steam right now and see about 480 people are playing it on PC.

I wouldn't fault a studio for skipping MP on a Wii U port to save development costs, they're probably not going to anger a lot of people.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Louisgod posted:

Not sure if you saw but their Q1 earnings report from today detailed that they were profitable despite the poor WiiU sales, so they're not currently experiencing the continued decline in profit they saw prior.

Should have corrected myself that it was an operational loss but they made an overall profit. I believe it might have been their first ever operational loss too. Nobody is really doing that well in Japan right now but Nintendo skimming through due to a net profit.

Louisgod posted:

God knows they can afford it.

I think this is a major point people miss out on. Nintendo is extremely profitable, has been forever and haa a lot of money just sitting in case of emergency. The Pokémon series alone has made more money than some third party AAA companies have made ever and that's one series alone. The only issue to all that is they do work with shareholders and shareholders get ansy when you're not making money every day. I'm not saying Nintendo should rest on their laurels because their handheld market is still absolutely dominant but this poo poo about Nintendo needing to pack it up for consoles because the Wii U is lacking games and the system is $100 too much always sounds like bitter resentment towards Nintendo to me.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Cultisto posted:

I bought Sonic All Stars Racing for the Wii U a few weeks ago because it was on "sale" for $30, even though I think I could have grabbed it on Steam for about $10 at the same time. This past weekend I decided to try playing online, there were 0 games/lobbies active so I was in an empty room for about 15 minutes before one other person showed up. We raced once, he quit, and I idled for another 15 minutes waiting for another soul before giving up. Sure it's an older game, but it's a perfect title for multiplayer and apparently there were two people on a Saturday afternoon on the entire internet who wanted to do it. It was depressing, especially when I check Steam right now and see about 480 people are playing it on PC.

I wouldn't fault a studio for skipping MP on a Wii U port to save development costs, they're probably not going to anger a lot of people.

You have to remember, that game as well as all the others with multiplayer, came out on other more popular systems. Of course they aren't going to have an online community. The Wii-U is the first system of next-gen and yet they aren't even trying to foster the community, and instead want to act like it's 8 years old and on it's way out, which is half right.

Why would I play my Blops2 online with 500 screaming kids, when I can turn on my ps3 and play with a million of them?

Developers are supposed to give me a reason to get a certain version of their game. Instead of hyping how cool what ever useless bullshit they did with the gamepad, they will show a thousand trailers of the PC version and never mention it. Then they will blame Nintendo for not doing their advertising for them.

The only game pimping the controls right now is Splinter Cell, and that game will be DoA for every system. Where the gently caress is the Watch Dogs U trailer Ubi?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

bushisms.txt posted:

You have to remember, that game as well as all the others with multiplayer, came out on other more popular systems. Of course they aren't going to have an online community. The Wii-U is the first system of next-gen and yet they aren't even trying to foster the community, and instead want to act like it's 8 years old and on it's way out, which is half right.

Why would I play my Blops2 online with 500 screaming kids, when I can turn on my ps3 and play with a million of them?

If I remember correctly, All-Stars sold best on the Wii U. Sega was very happy with it.

My friend plays Blops2 on Wii U and loves it because everyone is pretty calm and respectful. Like online should be. Hasn't heard someone say a racial slur once. Pretty sure every time someone hits the A button playing it on the 360 you hear a slur.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Louisgod posted:

And they have 5 Billion in cash laying around... I think things are going to be alright.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

bushisms.txt posted:

Developers are supposed to give me a reason to get a certain version of their game. Instead of hyping how cool what ever useless bullshit they did with the gamepad, they will show a thousand trailers of the PC version and never mention it. Then they will blame Nintendo for not doing their advertising for them.

The only game pimping the controls right now is Splinter Cell, and that game will be DoA for every system. Where the gently caress is the Watch Dogs U trailer Ubi?
I like you bushisms.txt, and I like your style.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

If I remember correctly, All-Stars sold best on the Wii U. Sega was very happy with it.

My friend plays Blops2 on Wii U and loves it because everyone is pretty calm and respectful. Like online should be. Hasn't heard someone say a racial slur once. Pretty sure every time someone hits the A button playing it on the 360 you hear a slur.

Sonic Racing probably only has a community on Steam, because it's Sonic Racing.

I have Blops2 on WiiU, not by choice, but I've only ever heard literal children on it. The reason the community is better on the other systems, is I have a better choice of which people I want to play with. That means, if I hear those screaming kids, I can confidently drop from the game, and join one with out them. On the Wii U version, you'll probably refill your old spot and keep your old score sometimes, gotta love old quake engine bugs.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

bushisms.txt posted:

Funny you should mention Black Ops 2, everyone I've talked to who played it on the Wii U actually prefers the MP community they've found over the PC/360/PS3. It doesn't have a ton of people mind you, but it's enough to play TDM with no issues.

Lack of DLC is the only fault I've heard the same people complain about.

Edit: Wrote this before I saw your post above. I guess opinions vary on the community but I was tempted to buy a copy despite owning the PC version when it was 20 bucks last weekend.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Strange Matter posted:

I like you bushisms.txt, and I like your style.

It's just really sad seeing the Wii U getting poo poo on, when it's not a bad machine. The gamepad with proper love can be the future.

Nintendo is getting yelled at by everyone, and it's ridiculous to think, they're just high fiving and talking about what's the next Mario. I mean, that's probably an everyday occurence, but it's not all they're doing.

Go look at the E3 coverage from Gametrailers, when Sakurai announced the Wii Fit Trainer. Everyone who just heard Nintendo is about to announce something, started getting all happy saying it was gonna be a Metroid game. Then after the announcement, everyone got all butt hurt, and started talking about how Nintendo isn't serious, and Iwata knows they are bombing and didn't show up to E3 because of it, even though they claimed to have watched the Nintendo Direct with him walking the show floor.

The main reason I've decided to keep my Wii U is for the indie support. They are becoming the new middleware, and Nintendo is trying to set up a groundwork to have great developer support for the next generations to come, because they are irrelevant now to kids. The only people who want Nintendo to fail are scorned former fans, and kids who don't know any better than what SpikeTV is saying.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Funny you should mention Black Ops 2, everyone I've talked to who played it on the Wii U actually prefers the MP community they've found over the PC/360/PS3. It doesn't have a ton of people mind you, but it's enough to play TDM with no issues.

Lack of DLC is the only fault I've heard the same people complain about.

Edit: Wrote this before I saw your post above. I guess opinions vary on the community but I was tempted to buy a copy despite owning the PC version when it was 20 bucks last weekend.

It's either literal kids or silence, which I think everyone would prefer over kids arguing over who pwned who. I was raised on objective game types by MoHAA, so I'm sad I can't play search and destroy. Come join the thousand or so of us that play, until their bed time, when the servers literally die.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 31, 2013

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bushisms.txt posted:

It's just really sad seeing the Wii U getting poo poo on, when it's not a bad machine. The gamepad with proper love can be the future.

Nintendo is getting yelled at by everyone, and it's ridiculous to think, they're just high fiving and talking about what's the next Mario. I mean, that's probably an everyday occurence, but it's not all they're doing.

Go look at the E3 coverage from Gametrailers, when Sakurai announced the Wii Fit Trainer. Everyone who just heard Nintendo is about to announce something, started getting all happy saying it was gonna be a Metroid game. Then after the announcement, everyone got all butt hurt, and started talking about how Nintendo isn't serious, and Iwata knows they are bombing and didn't show up to E3 because of it, even though they claimed to have watched the Nintendo Direct with him walking the show floor.

The main reason I've decided to keep my Wii U is for the indie support. They are becoming the new middleware, and Nintendo is trying to set up a groundwork to have great developer support for the next generations to come, because they are irrelevant now to kids. The only people who want Nintendo to fail are scorned former fans, and kids who don't know any better than what SpikeTV is saying.

It's either literal kids or silence, which I think everyone would prefer over kids arguing over who pwned who. I was raised on objective game types by MoHAA, so I'm sad I can't play search and destroy. Come join the thousand or so of us that play, until their bed time, when the servers literally die.

It's a lovely machine with inferior hardware and a horrible operating system that shouldn't have been released in 2012 and the Gamepad's 3 hour battery life is plain inexcusable for what it really is. I'm sorry that people are legitimately making GBS threads over a companies policies and practices especially when it's 100% their own loving fault.

As for the indie support stuff. There is another console that is swooning indie developers and even had a huge collection of them on during their E3 press conference. I feel like I'd go for that console .

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Zomodok posted:

It's a lovely machine with inferior hardware and a horrible operating system that shouldn't have been released in 2012 and the Gamepad's 3 hour battery life is plain inexcusable for what it really is. I'm sorry that people are legitimately making GBS threads over a companies policies and practices especially when it's 100% their own loving fault.

As for the indie support stuff. There is another console that is swooning indie developers and even had a huge collection of them on during their E3 press conference. I feel like I'd go for that console .

Nintendo doesn't toot their own horn for some reason when it comes to indie development, and even included all the indie games we know are releasing soon in their 3rd party games trailer.

The PS4 and Xbone are also underpowered, speaking as a PC gamer, and gently caress them for holding back PC games a whole loving generation.

The gamepad's 3 hour life sucks if I had to put batteries in it, but I don't mind being "tethered" for 30 minutes, which is all it takes for a full charge. The OS is fine, but it is slow as hell in some parts, but they say they're working on it.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Zomodok posted:

and the Gamepad's 3 hour battery life is plain inexcusable for what it really is.

I crack up every time someone says this. I rarely get three hours on my cell phone if I'm playing a mobile game that uses Wi-Fi and that thing cost $600 new but my Gamepad should be able to transmit a wireless signal between the Wii U console and Gamepad while displaying a game at a comfortable framerate and allow me to go online all at the same time, sometimes even putting a played game on pause so I can go look up stuff on the Internet browser. But it should clearly have the same battery life as a 360 or PS3 controller damnit :argh:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I crack up every time someone says this. I rarely get three hours on my cell phone if I'm playing a mobile game that uses Wi-Fi and that thing cost $600 new but my Gamepad should be able to transmit a wireless signal between the Wii U console and Gamepad while displaying a game at a comfortable framerate and allow me to go online all at the same time, sometimes even putting a played game on pause so I can go look up stuff on the Internet browser. But it should clearly have the same battery life as a 360 or PS3 controller damnit :argh:

Heaven forbid you have to actual plug in the charger on it, then it will work for as long as you want. It's like we're back to batteries vs. cable again.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

bushisms.txt posted:

The Wii U is about equal with current gen consoles and will be hilariously outclassed in three months. And bullshit to the gamepad being the future. Name one good goddamn reason I should be looking away from the TV while I'm playing a game. Just one. One thing that couldn't be done equally as well or better with an overlay. If you can clear that hurdle we can talk about how the gamepad itself is an inferior touch device compared to a smartphone, let alone a tablet.

Zomodok posted:

There's also the PC. The idea of indie devs lining up to fall all over each other to develop on the Wii U is very, very silly. They're indie devs. They have no money. Why waste what little they have develping for a platform with no customers?

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 31, 2013

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I crack up every time someone says this. I rarely get three hours on my cell phone if I'm playing a mobile game that uses Wi-Fi and that thing cost $600 new

Yeah, but my cellphone serves a significantly more useful purpose of being my contact with friends, family, and work. The work bit is especially important. And my phone doesn't need to be tethered to a console to play a videogame, if I even wanted to play games on my phone.

The phone is infinitely more useful than the GamePad and more portable.

bushisms.txt posted:

There's enough fanboy in this statement for the whole thread :allears:

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
April-June the Wii U sold 60k units in America.

In April and May of 2000 alone, the Dreamcast sold 77k units.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

There's also the PC. The idea of indie devs lining up to fall all over each other to develop on the Wii U is very, very silly. They're indie devs. They have no money. Why waste what little they have develping for a platform with no customers?

Hey, what are they gonna do, develop for the OUYA?

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The Wii U tablet doesn't do anything but mirror the output that is coming out from the Wii U itself. So your argument about the cell phone is absolutely in shambles because the cell phone actually renders what is being displayed on the screen while on top of being an actual phone. Also I don't know what phone you have but I can get consistently 7-8 hours out of mine if all I'm doing is playing stupid mobile games and surfing the internet. The Wii U is considered a "tablet" though even it still doesn't actually render anything on itself and still only gets 3-4 hours while the iPad, Nexus 7 and the smaller tablets get more while handling the heavy part of the lifting.

Are you just ignorant or do you not know how technology works in 2013

edit; like literally the only communication the tablet handles is to the Wii U which does EVERYTHING from rendering to wireless communications online. Holy gently caress I can't believe you just compared a 3 hour touch screen 'tablet' that must be paired to a console that does everything for it to a loving cell phone.

Zomodok fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 31, 2013

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

abagofcheetos posted:

April-June the Wii U sold 60k units in America.

In April and May of 2000 alone, the Dreamcast sold 77k units.

To be fair, the Dreamcast launched at 199, and didn't release at the tail end of a recession (yes I realize the numbers the DC sold back then weren't great either, I'm just putting perspective on why that system sold more units when it did).

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Handsome Ralph posted:

To be fair, the Dreamcast launched at 199, and didn't release at the tail end of a recession (yes I realize the numbers the DC sold back then weren't great either, I'm just putting perspective on why that system sold more units when it did).

There is no reason the Wii U shouldn't have launched at $199 either (oh wait, stupid tablet).

The Dreamcast is probably closer to the PS2 hardware wise than the Wii U is to the PS4.

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

Fun Shoe
My beef with the Gamepad is that 99% of the time, after I've used the thing to launch a game I don't pay attention to that 2nd screen at all. Using Sonic as an example again, I probably played the game for an hour before realizing that a rear view was being displayed on my gamepad because I'm trying to actually pay attention to a race & I can push a button to look behind me if I really want to. I don't know if Nintendo is telling developers that they HAVE to use the screen for something, because it's there, but I imagine if I could just turn off all of that streaming and disable the screen I'd get much more battery life out of the thing.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

The Wii U is objectively underpowered compared to current gen consoles and will be hilariously outclassed in three months.

This is wrong, and is another example of FUD spread by the media. The CPU is a little bit less, but the GPU and other parts make up for it, and the Wii U is actually not that far behind the Xbone.

Go look at NFSMW, the Wii U was superior in every way except car count in multiplayer, and that was because of lovely dev tools, Nintendo's fault, and it was a quick and dirty port to get the game done.

quote:

And bullshit to the gamepad being the future. Name one good goddamn reason I should be looking away from the TV while I'm playing a game. Just one. One thing that couldn't be done equally as well or better with an overlay.

It's almost like there are different types of games you can use that for. RTS and adventure come to mind, with resource management, and hudless gameplay. FPS use it for off-tv co-op which is better than splitting a TV. Puzzle and party games you play with the family where one holds the pad and others look at the TV. gently caress maybe I should work for Nintendo.

quote:

If you can clear that hurdle we can talk about how the gamepad itself is an inferior touch device compared to a smartphone, let alone a tablet.
You mean a tablet with no buttons that uses multi touch to compensate, is better than a tablet with accuracy and hardware buttons and analogs? More FUD from the mdeia: "It doesn't have multi-touch means it's inferior."

quote:

Because consoles make up a larger demographic than the PC gaming community, and PC gaming sufferes from Steam-itis. If it's going to come out on PC I can expect it to be 2 dollars or free with in a month. Consoles give a better pricing stability for developers. Why do you think games still cost $60+ on consoles, when the obviously superior PC version is $40?

Zomodok posted:

actually renders what is being displayed on the screen
This is funny, like the Wii U isn't doing this, and in the case of a game like CoD isn't doing this twice. But it's underpowered crap.

fivegears4reverse posted:

There's enough fanboy in this statement for the whole thread :allears:

Obviously a fanboy, when I wouldn't have even bought a Wii U til December, if one wasn't given to me. Totally.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Barudak posted:

Hey, what are they gonna do, develop for the OUYA?

Well I think technically it sold more in June.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Cultisto posted:

My beef with the Gamepad is that 99% of the time, after I've used the thing to launch a game I don't pay attention to that 2nd screen at all. Using Sonic as an example again, I probably played the game for an hour before realizing that a rear view was being displayed on my gamepad because I'm trying to actually pay attention to a race & I can push a button to look behind me if I really want to. I don't know if Nintendo is telling developers that they HAVE to use the screen for something, because it's there, but I imagine if I could just turn off all of that streaming and disable the screen I'd get much more battery life out of the thing.

This like complaing that Nintendo didn't use the waggle for more than rolls in DKCReturns.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bushisms.txt posted:

This is funny, like the Wii U isn't doing this, and in the case of a game like CoD isn't doing this twice. But it's underpowered crap.

edit: this isn't worth it

vvvv this especially isn't worth it vvvvvv

Zomodok fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 31, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

fivegears4reverse posted:

Yeah, but my cellphone serves a significantly more useful purpose of being my contact with friends, family, and work. The work bit is especially important. And my phone doesn't need to be tethered to a console to play a videogame, if I even wanted to play games on my phone.

The phone is infinitely more useful than the GamePad and more portable.

You missed the whole point. When I'm using my cell phone to play a mobile videogame that hardly presents the same power as a Wii U game and it uses Wi-Fi I don't even get three hours (Samsung Galaxy SIII). It has nothing to do with your phone working for texting and business. When specifically using a cell phone for video game entertainment, it's usually worse than a Gamepad playing an HD modern game. I'm not arguing mobile gaming vs. console gaming here, I'm making the point that having a screen like that is an energy suck. Hence why the Wii U Pro gets you the sort of battery life you'd get out of a 360 or PS3 controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

bushisms.txt posted:

The CPU is a little bit less, but the GPU and other parts make up for it, and the Wii U is actually not that far behind the Xbone.

Bullshit. Link whatever you read that from because I find that really hard to believe.

• Locked thread