Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

abagofcheetos posted:

There is no reason the Wii U shouldn't have launched at $199 either (oh wait, stupid tablet).

The Dreamcast is probably closer to the PS2 hardware wise than the Wii U is to the PS4.

I think even if Nintendo had withheld the tablet and just launched a more powerful HD next gen system to compete with MS and Sony, the lowest the system would have sold for is 250 (and that's being extremely generous) in order for them to make any kind of a return on it.

The days of next-gen systems launching for under 300 dollars are long gone. The only reason the Wii launched for the price it did was because it was Gamecube Hardware with motion controls which most people in this thread know already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

You missed the whole point. When I'm using my cell phone to play a mobile videogame that hardly presents the same power as a Wii U game and it uses Wi-Fi I don't even get three hours (Samsung Galaxy SIII).

That's actually pretty garbage battery life for a cell phone.

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe

bushisms.txt posted:

This like complaing that Nintendo didn't use the waggle for more than rolls in DKCReturns.

Why's that? All I'm saying is give me the option to disable "features" I don't really bother with to reduce battery drain caused by powering a screen I'm not looking at.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Zomodok posted:

You just reaffirmed what I said what the Wii U was doing? Yes the Wii U is doing it, Yes the console itself is doing all the rendering and then transmitting it to the tablet's screen.

Comparing a Cell Phone that is doing the same thing that the Wii U to the tablet is absolutely insane. Congratulations for both missing the argument while proving mine. The 3 hour battery life on that tablet would be okay if it was 2006 but it's not, and current technology demands better battery life and for the most part reaches it.

So pretty much you're complaining Nintendo tried to save money, with the size of battery they used. I can get that.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

You missed the whole point. When I'm using my cell phone to play a mobile videogame that hardly presents the same power as a Wii U game and it uses Wi-Fi I don't even get three hours (Samsung Galaxy SIII). It has nothing to do with your phone working for texting and business. When specifically using a cell phone for video game entertainment, it's usually worse than a Gamepad playing an HD modern game. I'm not arguing mobile gaming vs. console gaming here, I'm making the point that having a screen like that is an energy suck. Hence why the Wii U Pro gets you the sort of battery life you'd get out of a 360 or PS3 controller.

The screen on a GamePad is DECIDEDLY WORSE than anything found on a modern high-end smartphone. Like its not even close.

And not one thing you posted justifies the very weak battery life on a device that is several times larger than your Galaxy S3 (which you should really change the battery out of if you're having that many issues, as well as plug the stupid thing in if you're playing games that much), and with only a slight physical revision could carry a better, longer lasting battery right out the door, without sacrificing the form factor of the thing.

If you're insistent on killing the conversation through sheer idiocy, feel free to continue though.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think the issue with complaining about the internal specs of the console itself (Gamepad aside) is that it's not hard to imagine an alternate universe where Nintendo invested in PS4/XBone-level specs and still had difficulty moving units. From a financial perspective, Nintendo's become extremely cautious about investing in powerful hardware because they don't envision a strong ROI from it within casual market they want to hang on to.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think the issue with complaining about the internal specs of the console itself (Gamepad aside) is that it's not hard to imagine an alternate universe where Nintendo invested in PS4/XBone-level specs and still had difficulty moving units. From a financial perspective, Nintendo's become extremely cautious about investing in powerful hardware because they don't envision a strong ROI from it within casual market they want to hang on to.
They were probably also being realistic and assuming that they were not going to have strong third party support either, which would lead to a situation where Nintendo has the exact same number of games available in this twilight zone universe as they do in ours, but their console costs 50% more to produce, meaning it either costs as much as the Xbone or they incur an even bigger loss on every unit, requiring people to buy more games that don't exist.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

You missed the whole point. When I'm using my cell phone to play a mobile videogame that hardly presents the same power as a Wii U game and it uses Wi-Fi I don't even get three hours (Samsung Galaxy SIII). It has nothing to do with your phone working for texting and business. When specifically using a cell phone for video game entertainment, it's usually worse than a Gamepad playing an HD modern game. I'm not arguing mobile gaming vs. console gaming here, I'm making the point that having a screen like that is an energy suck. Hence why the Wii U Pro gets you the sort of battery life you'd get out of a 360 or PS3 controller.

The gamepad does not do any rendering or processing however. It just streams a video/audio signal in, and a control signal out.

I don't really think it has a bad battery life though, maybe because I can't think of any opportunity in years I've had to play five hours of games at a time, or anytime I would even want to.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Cultisto posted:

Why's that? All I'm saying is give me the option to disable "features" I don't really bother with to reduce battery drain caused by powering a screen I'm not looking at.

The tablet is the system unfortunately.

People talk about how Nintendo hasn't shown why the tablet is great. Nintendo has already shown the main purpose is to be off-tv play. Watch the reveal trailer, it's all about socializing with others even if/when you're playing a single player game.

People cry that Mario Kart8 is only going to have a horn. But they would also cry if Nintendo forced you to do things counter intuitive to a family kart game.

People forget but then remember when a new release is out, that Nintendo has been making the same games for 30 loving years. They need new ways to do things. The gamepad is a tool for developers to come up with new ideas, if a game uses every part of the controller, it will either be a master class or disaster.

IF Nintendo had put out a simliar specced console, they would still get little to no support, from the same people they've already been getting support. The GameCube had 4 Nintendo games and a ton of mediocre third party support at launch, but still bombed.

Hardware is not the problem. Nintendo used to hate gently caress these developers into working for them, and now those companies are just going to forget? It's like when Fish and Blow talk poo poo about MSFT, why would they want to even tempt the same experience.

Think about EA, they used to have the best selling Madden on Wii, but slowly they pulled more and more support to see what they could get away with, and they found they could get away with not putting games on the system. CoD was also a a great seller on Wii.

So yes, it is Nintendo's fault.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 31, 2013

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bushisms.txt posted:

The CPU is a little bit less, but the GPU and other parts make up for it, and the Wii U is actually not that far behind the Xbone.

You still haven't cited your sources or answered the question to prove this.

bushisms.txt posted:

Go look at NFSMW, the Wii U was superior in every way except car count in multiplayer, and that was because of lovely dev tools, Nintendo's fault, and it was a quick and dirty port to get the game done.

Nobody has mentioned this but I would hope that an upgraded console released in 2012 would be superior than those released from 2005-2006

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

greatn posted:

The gamepad does not do any rendering or processing however. It just streams a video/audio signal in, and a control signal out.

I don't really think it has a bad battery life though, maybe because I can't think of any opportunity in years I've had to play five hours of games at a time, or anytime I would even want to.

You have remember that in between draining the battery with actual playing it'll also lose charge while just lying around.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

bushisms.txt posted:

IF Nintendo had put out a simliar specced console,

bushisms.txt posted:

The CPU is a little bit less, but the GPU and other parts make up for it, and the Wii U is actually not that far behind the Xbone.

Which is it? Weak console performance or close enough to xbone next gen performance?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 31, 2013

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
I'm still trying to figure out why the went with the gamepad to begin with, when they could cram stuff like HUDs and a second viewpoint on the 3DS systems that are already out in the wild. It's also a second screen that's useful outside your house :v: Granted, I don't think it can encode the video output from the Wii U, but how many people honestly lose access to the TV they use for games on a regular basis?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

bushisms.txt posted:

People talk about how Nintendo hasn't shown why the tablet is great. Nintendo has already shown the main purpose is to be off-tv play. Watch the reveal trailer, it's all about socializing with others even if/when you're playing a single player game.

This was a pretty terrible premise on Nintendo's part. Anyone with a wife or kid knows, you can't have healthy or meaningful social interaction with someone while you have a screen in front of your face doing something they are not a part of. In a way it's worse than taking up the TV because now you're all experiencing different things. It's like having a conversation with someone browsing Facebook on their phone.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Which is it? Weaker console performance or close enough to xbone next gen performance?

Those two aren't exclusive.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Zomodok posted:

You still haven't cited your sources or answered the question to prove this.
Sorry, but there is a whole 150+ page thread in NeoGaf with actual chipset and die blown up, and they are still trying to figure out what the Wii U does.

quote:

Nobody has mentioned this but I would hope that an upgraded console released in 2012 would be superior than those released from 2005-2006

And yet, I was quoting someone who says it's not as powerful as boxes from 2005, so you see the catch-22 of logic I'm in, and how hard it is for me not to get nauseous from all the eye rolling I'm doing from reading that.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Boiled Water posted:

You have remember that in between draining the battery with actual playing it'll also lose charge while just lying around.

Oh, I always put mine on the charging cradle when I'm done.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

greatn posted:

It's like having a conversation with someone browsing Facebook on their phone.

Have you not talked to a teenager in the last 5 years?

Kurtofan posted:

This. Also take in to account, MSFT won't release official specs because they know they are underpowered, and the fact that they used to trumpet the system as the most powerful console of the upcoming generation.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bushisms.txt posted:

Sorry, but there is a whole 150+ page thread in NeoGaf with actual chipset and die blown up, and they are still trying to figure out what the Wii U does.

So you can't source your claim, but here is a small talk about the hardware specs for you so you can make your own conclusion

Wii U: PowerPC 1.24 CPU, 2GB of DDR3 RAM, GPU "Latte" clocked at 550 Mhz for a theoretical peak of 352 GFLOPS.

Here is what we know about the XB1:

An x86 APU based on Jaguar architecture with 8GB of DDR3 Ram for a theoretical peak of 1.23 TFLOPS.

Here is what we know about the PS4:

An x86 APU based on Jaguar architecture with 8GB of GDDR5 Ram for a theretical peak of 1.84 TFLOPS

In short:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

bushisms.txt posted:

This is wrong, and is another example of FUD spread by the media.
Hahahahaha aaaaaaaand... scene

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kurtofan posted:

What I meant was the wii u is closer to current gen systems than it is to next gen consoles. Yea the wii u is much faster than the ps3 and xbox360, but the gap between those two is smaller than wii u vs ps4/xbone. bushism.txt said the wii u was closer to the xbone, so I was trying to get a source on that.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Hahahahaha aaaaaaaand... scene

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=513471

Oh, this is the second thread, and they have links to the first in the OP.

How about you read this. You too Zomodok.

It doesnt even get good til page 100 or so.

People really don't know how powerful the Wii U is.

The WiiU's custom GPU is the secret sauce.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

bushisms.txt posted:

Have you not talked to a teenager in the last 5 years?

Teenagers have always been disconnected like that long before mobile gaming and smartphones came along. I know I was and I didn't need a cell phone to do it.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

bushisms.txt posted:

The WiiU's custom GPU is the secret sauce.

Even if the custom GPU is, in fact, some good secret sauce, it is only in comparison to consoles that came out almost a decade ago, at this point.

Think about that before you keep citing NeoGaf, of all places.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Justin Godscock posted:

Teenagers have always been disconnected like that long before mobile gaming and smartphones came along. I know I was and I didn't need a cell phone to do it.

How about adults? A ton of people have tablets today and doing other things while holding a conversation s becoming increasingly common. (Not that the Gamepad is the same thing, mind you.)

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

fivegears4reverse posted:

Even if the custom GPU is, in fact, some good secret sauce, it is only in comparison to consoles that came out almost a decade ago, at this point.

Think about that before you keep citing NeoGaf, of all places.

Please actually read what I linked at least.

I'm not saying the Wii U is some world beater, just simply it's not as bad as everyone is making it out to be.

Justin Godscock posted:

Do you have friends come over? How about a significant other? You don't do something with them while looking at your phone?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Do you want to make a bet Bushisms because I say that in 3 years that the problem that happened between PS3/360 and the Wii will arise once again between PS4/XB1 and the WiiU and I'm willing to throw down like $100 to a charity if I'm wrong

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Zomodok posted:

Do you want to make a bet Bushisms because I say that in 3 years that the problem that happened between PS3/360 and the Wii will arise once again between PS4/XB1 and the WiiU

I know the ram is a problem in a few years. Nintendo in their infinite wisdom, deemed that not necessary for some reason. But Nintendo isn't looking for ports. When they look for ports, they get poo poo like Arkham Origins only developing half the game, because reasons. They made their bed the gamepad and they were probably hoping devs would make something new and different. Like how Ubisoft is taking the second screen concept and making games not for Nintendo.

I'd make a bet that in 4 years, the ram will be used for nothing but better graphics, and while that is fine, it's not why I play a console game. I play console games, because I can't play them on PC.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Guys he's unironically using "FUD" and talking about a vast media conspiracy against his console of choice like it's self-evident fact. Just walk away.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Guys he's unironically using "FUD" and talking about a vast media conspiracy against his console of choice like it's self-evident fact. Just walk away.

Andy go watch the e3 stuff from gametrailers. You have Geoff Keighly looking like Tobias Funke begging Mattrick to tell him his vision for DRM, and then ripping Reggie a new one over sales. When Mega64 showed up during the Nintendo hour, they told them to pick their allegiance between Sony and MSFT and cut off any talk about Nintendo.

It's not a conspiracy.

Go read a Pikmin 3 review or hell read this:
http://www.nowgamer.com/features/2015689/how_pikmin_3_proves_the_wii_u_was_a_mistake.html

They rip Nintendo for making a great game, but not the greatest game by not forcing more feature down our throats.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Zomodok posted:

Do you want to make a bet Bushisms because I say that in 3 years that the problem that happened between PS3/360 and the Wii will arise once again between PS4/XB1 and the WiiU and I'm willing to throw down like $100 to a charity if I'm wrong

poo poo, that is an easy bet. I'd practically feel confident that the Wii U won't sell as much as the Dreamcast worldwide.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Yeah, not that Nintendo isn't deserving of any criticism, but games "journalism" for the most part is pretty shitastic.

Watching coverage of E3 this year was extremely indicative of this like Bushisms pointed out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair, what I would argue is that Nintendo doesn't deserve less criticism but that other companies deserve more. I don't really think anyone would be benefited by the soft hand.

wiregrind
Jun 26, 2013

Crowbear posted:

Man this thread got really aggressive while I was asleep :stare:

Anyway, Nintendo's Q1 report is out. The Wii U somehow managed to defy all expectations and ship only 160k units worldwide over 3 months, bringing it's total up to 3.61 million units shipped. Even the most pessimistic predictions I was seeing thought it would get up to 4 million, but it seems they still haven't sold through their launch quarter shipments.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=639998

I'm sorry for not being used to sales numbers, I see all this and all I know is that it's supposed to mean they are doing badly, even though, could anyone who knows about this subject explain to me: How much was expected to be sold? how much did previous nintendo (or other successful consoles) sell in their first year? Are sales numbers growing or decreasing?

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

wiregrind posted:

I'm sorry for not being used to sales numbers, I see all this and all I know is that it's supposed to mean they are doing badly, even though, could anyone who knows about this subject explain to me: How much was expected to be sold? how much did previous nintendo (or other successful consoles) sell in their first year? Are sales numbers growing or decreasing?
A quick Google search says the Xbox 360 sold 1.8 million in the same quarter, at the same time in its life. Just to give you an idea.

Sir John Feelgood fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 31, 2013

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
I thought Geoff Keighley was being really sarcastic with Mattrick in their interview :confused: I guess it's easy to blame Pope Dewritos for everything when Nintendo couldn't be bothered to hold a presser this year.

Brand awareness? What the hell is that?

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3
Jesus. With a few more AAA games and a price cut, this system will do just-fine, NGC-level sales.

(This thread is pretty hilarious btw.)

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Bovineicide posted:

I thought Geoff Keighley was being really sarcastic with Mattrick in their interview :confused: I guess it's easy to blame Pope Dewritos for everything when Nintendo couldn't be bothered to hold a presser this year.

Brand awareness? What the hell is that?

Dude he leaned over and touched his knee while saying, "We just don't understand your vision."

Then talked poo poo to Reggie about how bad sales were, then sucked up to Miyamato, then went and talked about how great Nintendo games are but Nintendo has no games and how they should go to iOS so Jason Rubin's kid will know who Mario is.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Before the E3 conference Keighley was doing the same poo poo with Jack Tritton and the PS4. Though a lot of the 'gaming press' were pissed that Nintendo cancelled their press conference but Keighley has always been a loving moron period.

But that doesn't mean that the media is out to hurt poor little old Nintendo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

Jesus. With a few more AAA games and a price cut, this system will do just-fine, NGC-level sales.

(This thread is pretty hilarious btw.)
I agree. It may not match the GameCube's sales, since it's dealing with problems the GameCube didn't, like widespread confusion. But it's also sitting on store shelves with only one big Nintendo franchise, and it's one a lot of people are tired of (NSMB). When Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros. come out, you'll see the Wii U start to sell like (or almost as well as) a normal, post-PlayStation Nintendo console does.

• Locked thread