Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

thrawn527 posted:

First off, Dinklage is incredible and verbally spars opposite amazing (and tall) actors all the time. As far as physically sparring, he has massive sentinels backing him up. Why would he "go up" against anyone himself?

Secondly...why does his height matter? Like, at all? Sure, Oldman would do great. You know who else would do great? Peter Dinklage.
The point I was making is that I would have preferred someone with a commanding screen presence to assume the role. Dinklage just doesn't have that, in villainous roles or especially when competing with the likes of Mckellen & Stewart on screen. Given this, the eventual confrontation with Dinklage's character onscreen with said actors will probably fall flat, in terms of tension. We'll see how it turns out, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Can't wait to see if your dumb opinion comes to fruition.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Very well, to pose a physical challenge, Dinklage will hop into a Sentinel and drive it like an Iron Man suit or Mecha. Dinkinel vs the X-Men.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Devour posted:

The point I was making is that I would have preferred someone with a commanding screen presence to assume the role.

Watch The Station Agent.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

God drat, Devour just suddenly came out of nowhere to make endless awful posts in movie threads this week.

Of course Dinklage has a commanding presence, holy crumbs!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I find it hard to believe anybody who's actually watched an episode of GoT thinks Dinklage doesn't have a commanding screen presence.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Plus Gary Oldman has been exclusively terrible lately so that's a bad suggestion.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Devour posted:

Bolivar Trask wasn't a midget in the comics was he? He sounds like an interesting character in the same vain as William Stryker. I would've liked to have seen someone like Gary Oldman perhaps play him, not some dwarf.

:fuckoff:

Oldman is great, but Peter Dinklage is far from just "some dwarf" - he's probably one of the most talented actors working right now. I have serious, serious doubts about Days of the Future Past, but he's one of the reasons I may give it a shot.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

Plus Gary Oldman has been exclusively terrible lately so that's a bad suggestion.

His all-time best performance was only two years ago.

edit: just clarifying that I do not agree with Devour in any way though.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Travis343 posted:

I find it hard to believe anybody who's actually watched an episode of GoT thinks Dinklage doesn't have a commanding screen presence.

Pretty much this - Dinklage steals every scene he is in. The guy is legit and Devour is a loving moron.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

His all-time best performance was only two years ago.

But Tiptoes was ten years ago not two:confused:

Umpire Weekend
Apr 10, 2006

I backed my car into a cop car the other day
Well he just drove off sometimes life's OK

Alhazred posted:

But Tiptoes was ten years ago not two:confused:
We all know this was Gary Oldmans best performance

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Devour posted:

The point I was making is that I would have preferred someone with a commanding screen presence to assume the role. Dinklage just doesn't have that, in villainous roles or especially when competing with the likes of Mckellen & Stewart on screen. Given this, the eventual confrontation with Dinklage's character onscreen with said actors will probably fall flat, in terms of tension. We'll see how it turns out, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Roger Ebert posted:

The bar contains a fair number of people so witless and cruel that they must point and laugh, as if Finbar has somehow chosen his height in order to invite their moronic behavior. Finally he climbs up on a table and shouts, "Here I am! Take a look!" And that is the moment you realize there is no good reason why Peter Dinklage could not play Braveheart.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Devour posted:

This is the most :psyduck: post I have read in CD in a long, long time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus Christ. I make an offhand comment about a fictional dwarf and I get probated over in BSS. Here we have a page long conversation about how Peter loving Dinklage can't possibly have any screen presence and it's all hunky dory, no big deal.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Jesus Christ. I make an offhand comment about a fictional dwarf and I get probated over in BSS. Here we have a page long conversation about how Peter loving Dinklage can't possibly have any screen presence and it's all hunky dory, no big deal.

If he weren't desperately trolling or begging for a probation, I'd have bought him a Dinklage avatar by now.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Travis343 posted:

Hell, he rocked it on 30 Rock, and that's just one episode in a network comedy show. (albeit, really, one of the good ones) Even the people who don't like GoT have to admit he's good, right?

Though the upside is this thread is now prompting me to watch The Station Agent, because Dinklage is easily the man.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
If you haven't seen The Station Agent and you're a Dinklage fan, then

Dan Didio posted:

Watch The Station Agent.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
If Dinklage is 'some dwarf', Oldman is just some dude. You don't have to be tall or hulking to command a scene. Jesus christ, do you just nod along sternly when people demean his stature in GoT? "Some dwarf." That says it all.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Devour posted:

If there was any correlation between "commanding screen presence" and physical stature, then Dustin Hoffman would be an extra and Andre the Giant would be an Oscar winner.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I don't give a poo poo about how tall Dinklage is or why it's an issue at all when the REAL topic should be the bitching 'stache he's rocking for the movie.

I mean,

drat.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 31, 2013

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

He can have cocks for hands it won't matter when the Sentinels gently caress everything up.

Hilarious twist to this thread though.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

The Dave posted:

He can have cocks for hands

Peter Dicklimbs?

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I don't give a poo poo about how tall Dinklage is or why it's an issue at all when the REAL topic should be the bitching 'stache he's rocking for the movie.

I mean,

drat.

He looks like Biggs from StarWars.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Sorry guys, it's plain to see that a dude of short stature making 5 story tall humanoid killer robots has no dramatic potential whatsoever.

Why couldn't Triple H, Chris Benoit or John Cena play this part?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Sorry guys, it's plain to see that a dude of short stature making 5 story tall humanoid killer robots has no dramatic potential whatsoever.

Chris Benoit would have been a pretty interesting choice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jamesman posted:

Would love to see how the Sentinels would deal with mutants under his direction.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Jamesman posted:

Wouldn't be the first corpse they propped up in a comic book movie. Speaking of, any bets on Stan Lee's cameo in this one?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Those are the people playing the Sentinels.

Also, if there's any guy from wrestling that should be a villain it's Vince McMahon.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Wouldn't be the first corpse they propped up in a comic book movie. Speaking of, any bets on Stan Lee's cameo in this one?

Stan never has a cameo in any of the Fox films.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

jscolon2.0 posted:

What? He was in Xmen, Daredevil and X3 off the top of my head...

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

What? He was in Xmen, Daredevil and X3 off the top of my head...

Wow, I was totally wrong about this. Somehow my brain just pieced him not being in Wolverine or First Class as a trend.

jscolon2.0 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 1, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jscolon2.0 posted:

Look how absolutely wrong you are.

http://www.listal.com/list/stan-lees-marvel-movie-cameos

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I believe Stan only cameos in movies for characters he created (or co-created). Of course, his best 'cameo' is playable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9vVCyF4tTo

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The MSJ posted:

I believe Stan only cameos in movies for characters he created (or co-created). Of course, his best 'cameo' is playable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9vVCyF4tTo

Nope, he's in the Captain America movie. I'm pretty sure it's just his availability and how much effort whoever is making the film is willing to put in. Since he didn't cameo in First Class or either of the Wolverine movies, I doubt he's going to be in the new X-Men, but who knows.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think the reason he wasn't in the Wolverine movies is he didn't create Wolverine.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FabioClone posted:

I think the reason he wasn't in the Wolverine movies is he didn't create Wolverine.

And they couldn't have Len Wein do a cameo because then they'd have to admit that he deserves royalties from the movie.

Pugnac
Mar 7, 2006
So they made a follow up to The Punisher: #DIRTYLAUNDRY short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YDYL6oECjU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Pugnac posted:

So they made a follow up to The Punisher: #DIRTYLAUNDRY short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YDYL6oECjU

Just watched this, it's actually pretty damned funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

omg chael crash posted:

Just watched this, it's actually pretty damned funny.

It doesn't hurt that Ryan Kwanten is loving awesome and has amazing comedic timing.

• Locked thread