Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
Gear was probably the worst part of chargen for me. A whole lot of effects tags that you have to look up, mods, the way armor stacking does and doesn't work, encumbrance, etc. Add in some of the other rules questions that relate to it like dual wielding or crits, and it becomes a real pain in the rear end.

After that, our biggest hiccup was game play and figuring out what the gently caress various levels of Threat and Advantage do or mean. I know there's a chart in the book, our GM just wasn't aware of it. Don't be that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Bularin posted:

Gear was probably the worst part of chargen for me. A whole lot of effects tags that you have to look up, mods, the way armor stacking does and doesn't work, encumbrance, etc. Add in some of the other rules questions that relate to it like dual wielding or crits, and it becomes a real pain in the rear end.

After that, our biggest hiccup was game play and figuring out what the gently caress various levels of Threat and Advantage do or mean. I know there's a chart in the book, our GM just wasn't aware of it. Don't be that guy.

Would it be helpful to make a quick list/cheatsheet of shorthand answers to various weapon mods? I like frontloading the work that way so my players can just quick-reference stuff without needing to flip back and forth.

EDIT: Well, I did it anyway

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 1, 2013

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

Tharizdun posted:

Would it be helpful to make a quick list/cheatsheet of shorthand answers to various weapon mods? I like frontloading the work that way so my players can just quick-reference stuff without needing to flip back and forth.

Also, I'm happy to share my "quickstart chargen sheet" if you guys are interested.

I'd have preferred a pure and simple equipment list, broken down ranged/melee/armor/gear/drugs and so on, with page references if I need more information. It mostly would have been nice not to memorize that my lightsaber has pierce 1, sunder, and vicious 2 before flipping to find the 2-3 pages that actually tell me what that means.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Bularin posted:

I barely had enough money to afford a weapon, mediocre armor and a handful of other gear (and all I got was a simple Blaster Pistol). I didn't really have to worry about tags/mods/etc until I had some money under my belt.

Kynazeras
Dec 20, 2012
I have been GMing this game for three weeks now and I have to say that I absolutely love it. It is the most fun RPG system I have ever played and my group seems to agree. They love character creation and we have a diverse group. The only problem we are having is understanding how the Force works in this game. The chapter seems to short and not very reader-friendly (unlike the rest of the book). Can anyone give me a quick rundown of how to force is used and operated in this game? Because I have a couple of characters who are interested Force-users

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I haven't gotten to the chapter on the Force yet in my reading, but I know it's very minimal in this game. A lot of the big Force stuff is being saved for the 3rd core book they're gonna put out.

Think "what Obi-Wan does in ANH" more than "what Yoda does in episodes 2 and 3".

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Is is the sort of thing where there's a basis from which house ruling can happen, or were FFG really anvilicious about "outside the scope of what's supposed to be roleplayed with this system" like some of its defenders seem to be re: Force-users? Setting adaptability was one of the pluses of Saga for me, but I get the sense that FFG's intent was for "character proficiency in other fields" and "capacity for using the Force" to be something of a zero-sum equation, that one must necessarily be at the other, which I wasn't fond of in Saga, but there it was seemingly more due to the constraints of the d20 system whereas here it's by design specifically because of long-standing problems with Jedi/Force-using characters in earlier roleplaying games.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 2, 2013

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Basically, this just isn't the setting for Jedi: they don't exist anymore. Force sensitive types, yes, but no one is running around training young Jedi, and the only people that can use the Force have self taught, making their skills limited.

In later books they will develop the Force more, as I'm sure you are aware, but this source book is all about it's name sake: living at the edge of the empire. The gameplay system will support it, but unless you want to completely write and balance your own system, you are just going to have to wait it out.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Chortles posted:

Is is the sort of thing where there's a basis from which house ruling can happen, or were FFG really anvilicious about "outside the scope of what's supposed to be roleplayed with this system" like some of its defenders seem to be re: Force-users? Setting adaptability was one of the pluses of Saga for me, but I get the sense that FFG's intent was for "character proficiency in other fields" and "capacity for using the Force" to be something of a zero-sum equation, that one must necessarily be at the other, which I wasn't fond of in Saga, but there it was seemingly more due to the constraints of the d20 system whereas here it's by design specifically because of long-standing problems with Jedi/Force-using characters in earlier roleplaying games.

Force usage is not zero-sum with other specializations unless your campaign is a zero sum XP campaign. You just buy it as a specialization, akin to any other career specialization, and spend points on it. Unless you're a droid.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

homullus posted:

Force usage is not zero-sum with other specializations unless your campaign is a zero sum XP campaign. You just buy it as a specialization, akin to any other career specialization, and spend points on it. Unless you're a droid.
I thought that the supposed-to-be XP payouts per sessions are so low that it would be zero sum in practice?

Carteret posted:

Basically, this just isn't the setting for Jedi: they don't exist anymore. Force sensitive types, yes, but no one is running around training young Jedi, and the only people that can use the Force have self taught, making their skills limited.
Pretty much along the lines of what the defenders were saying then, but as such I suppose the only thing to do for more than what you describe is to house-rule as you said. I'm mainly bringing this up since there's other Force traditions that don't seem like they'd be out of place in the setting, though they're all EU if you're defining "the setting" as essentially just Episodes IV-V (I recall that the game is supposed to be set after Episode IV, though nothing about the rules strikes me as preventing it from working for the Dark Times without any needed rules changes).

Admittedly this is more about NPC building than about PCs to me, though I suppose that for Force-sensitive NPCs I can or should just house-rule with the Forsaken Jedi as a guideline for how to build one, and treat them as Nemesis-level?

Chortles fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 2, 2013

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I view using destiny points as using the force (for instance to improve your dice pool when you do a skill check). Although this means droids could channel the force. But whatever. It's just a game.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Chortles posted:

I thought that the supposed-to-be XP payouts per sessions are so low that it would be zero sum in practice?

I don't know where you got this. You're getting 10-20XP per session (based on incentives).

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
That's definitely higher payouts than what I saw previously (as low as 5?) although that may have just been a particularly stingy GM (which incentives?).

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?
My group has been doing a flat 10XP per session with +5 for settling an obligation or for doing something ridiculously cool and it seems to be working fine so far.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Does the Core Rulebook give guidelines on the amount of payout that you're basing this off of?

Considering nelson's suggestion, I think that it makes sense to treat the Force in a similar way -- or rather, that sometimes for narrative purposes the power of the Force can just be treated as being behind 'improbable' successes such as supposedly "blind" or "lucky" shots (or what I'll jokingly call combat multitasking like dual-wielding) while the system we have can suit "overt" Force use like telekinesis.

(Call Weapon: Still one of my favorite talents from Saga Edition's Jedi Academy Training Manual for the hilarity of its more generous interpretation.)

Chortles fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Aug 3, 2013

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Chortles posted:

Does the Core Rulebook give guidelines on the amount of payout that you're basing this off of?

Core Rulebook, pg. 301 posted:

The amount awarded is typically 10 to 20 XP per character for a session of two or three major encounters and a handful of minor ones. An additional 5 XP bonus may be granted for reaching key milestones or completing story arcs. Playing to a character's Motivation also grants 5 XP per session at the GM's option. The GM may consider awarding an extra point or two of XP for exceptional roleplaying or highly clever thinking.

For me, 2-3 major encounters and a handful of minor ones is more like two sessions, so that 10-20 becomes 5-10 per session, with the extras bumping it up.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Couple pages back but thank you so much for this, my printer ink is fading and the HC sheet was perfect. One thing I noticed though, the Talents & Special Abilities on page 2 are link to the ones on page 3. So anything you enter in on shows up on the other, I wasn't sure if that was deliberate.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

robziel posted:

Couple pages back but thank you so much for this, my printer ink is fading and the HC sheet was perfect. One thing I noticed though, the Talents & Special Abilities on page 2 are link to the ones on page 3. So anything you enter in on shows up on the other, I wasn't sure if that was deliberate.

try downloading it again, someone pointed that out and i fixed it (the link you quoted should be fine)

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

treeboy posted:

try downloading it again, someone pointed that out and i fixed it (the link you quoted should be fine)

So it is, thank you!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Map pack with EotE stuff:

http://www.mediafire.com/?fpy06sftptpj7sl

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Just picked up the beginner game. Looking to organize my first run this weekend and this will literally be my first pen & paper RPG, so how long will this realistically take for planning purposes?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Springfield Fatts posted:

Just picked up the beginner game. Looking to organize my first run this weekend and this will literally be my first pen & paper RPG, so how long will this realistically take for planning purposes?

It's a really easy system to pick up, even if you've never played an RPG before and the beginner adventure does a really, really good job of easing you into the system. Take about an hour to browse through the adventure just so you see how it should flow, don't worry about learning the rules too much before hand. The actual session will probably take you a couple hours. It probably took my group about 3 or 4. We've all played RPGs before but never this system and it was my first time GMing. I wouldn't imagine it would take a group who was brand new to RPGs any longer though.

The only thing that might slow down gameplay is the starship encounter at the end, the rules for that are more obtuse than any other bit. It's the very last thing in the adventure though so don't stress it, just fudge it.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Cool, thanks for the heads up.

Amish Retard
Jan 27, 2004
Taking the short wagon since 1885

Springfield Fatts posted:

If you're even remotely familiar with the Star Wars universe, once you get a couple of games under your belt you'll realize it's really easy to throw together encounters and such. Unless my group runs into something massive at the end of a session, I usually don't even plan much anymore. I have a couple random ideas in my head but it's very simple to just add enemies, areas, etc. on the fly.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The Age of Rebellion beta is dropping soon!

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4291

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

yes YES YES

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

I just skimmed cause I'm at work, but where do you get a Beta book? I wasn't aware of the original beta book, and I'm sure my playgroup would be itching to get a taste of the next expansion. Do I just ask around my LGS? Or is this something I might be able to get through Amazon/etc?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

TheTofuShop posted:

I just skimmed cause I'm at work, but where do you get a Beta book? I wasn't aware of the original beta book, and I'm sure my playgroup would be itching to get a taste of the next expansion. Do I just ask around my LGS? Or is this something I might be able to get through Amazon/etc?
That was my question too, but after reading a little more closely it looks like it's either direct from the FFG web store or "participating retailers". Whatever that means.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I bought the Edge of the Empire book straight off the FFG website, the Age of Rebellion book just isn't on sale yet.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Beta feedback is due in October of 2013. I wonder if they have fastracked this book for winter release?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

alg posted:

Beta feedback is due in October of 2013. I wonder if they have fastracked this book for winter release?
Yeah, that's a really short window, especially when the books is listed as "in development" with a projected Q3 2013 release.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

alg posted:

Considering the size difference between the Edge of the Empire Beta and the Core Book (the core book being almost twice the size), I'd say no.

The sequence Writers -> Editors -> IP owner -> Layout -> Proofreaders alone takes months. After that is still all the good times with proofs, printing, and distribution.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say there's no way the full game is out this year both because it's a Fantasy Flight game and because their earlier announcements for the line indicated a yearly core release at best.

But honestly given their track record at hitting deadlines they could put out a press release that says "no really it's going to be out in January 2014" and I'd peg it to like April.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, yeah. Fantasy Flight. Wishful thinking :( I wish they had released Rebels first.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

alg posted:

In theory the core of the system is is the same as EotE so they might just be looking for the interaction of the new classes within the book and the interaction with the EotE classes. That couldn't take that long, could it?

Swagger Dagger posted:

But honestly given their track record at hitting deadlines they could put out a press release that says "no really it's going to be out in January 2014" and I'd peg it to like April. July. GenCon
Knowing Fantasy Flight, I've adjusted your estimate a bit.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 9, 2013

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

8one6 posted:

In theory the core of the system is is the same as EotE so they might just be looking for the interaction of the new classes within the book and the interaction with the EotE classes. That couldn't take that long, could it?

Even if some of the content is exactly the same, LucasFilm's review, layout, proofreading, printing, and distribution would still take the same amount of time.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I find myself inordinately excited for Age of Rebellion and I don't know why. Of the 3 'playstyles' (Fringers, Troopers, Force Users) they're catering the books too, Troopers are probably my least favorite, but I think Edge of the Empire won me over enough to really want all 3 books.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I'm still not confident the books will be compatible. I mean I'm sure they'll be compatible in a literal sense, since the systems are exactly the same, but I feel like there will be a world of darkness style problem where the systems, while compatible, have such a power difference you do not wanna put PCs of different types in the same party.

But I'm sure bits and pieces could still be put together.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Nothing is stopping your EotE character's from a)picking up a new specialization or b)enlisting in the Rebel Alliance. I feel like it's going to be amazing as a suppliment for EotE, and a fun setting for a new campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I figure if there's a real power level difference it'll just be like in the 40k games where you can dump XP into a lower-end character to bring it more or less up to par with the higher end ones.

Honestly I don't see why there'd be a huge jump in power levels, though.

• Locked thread