Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Zero One posted:

Thought you guys would like this:

The history and future of highways... as seen in 1958 by Walt Disney:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0q_oP9TPD4

It's amazing how those freeway interchanges look like they were already traffic clusterfucks 50 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The future section is the best. It gets some things right: suburbanization, standardized shipping containers, GPS/traffic maps, rear view cameras, and even automated cars. But other things are way out there: atomic cars, flying cars :argh:, undersea highways, some crazy parking garages, and my favorite: putting trucks into ROCKETSHIPS!

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Zero One posted:

The future section is the best. It gets some things right: suburbanization, standardized shipping containers, GPS/traffic maps, rear view cameras, and even automated cars. But other things are way out there: atomic cars, flying cars :argh:, undersea highways, some crazy parking garages, and my favorite: putting trucks into ROCKETSHIPS!
He got the public garage right, too. The automated parking garage is a thing.

Varance fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 30, 2013

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Where's my solar-powered electro-suspension car?

Varance posted:

He got the garages right, too. The automated parking garage is a thing.
They've got those all over Japan. Bizarre as hell to see in action.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Hmmm yeah... but I still can't drive up the side of my building and park in the office.

grover posted:

Where's my solar-powered electro-suspension car?

And nuclear mountain melting machine?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Zero One posted:

And nuclear mountain melting machine?
Gotta admit the similarity between that and TBMs, though. Well, aside from not melting through the mountain with nuclear energy, I guess.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Something interesting to note: They greatly underestimated the growth of car manufacturing. That traffic engineer predicted an increase from 75 million cars to 100 million between 1958 and 1975 - it actually ended up being 133 million.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

I would not put signals on freeways. You open yourself up to the risk of high speed rear-end collisions, and frequent ones, at that. Ramp metering is decent, but it can only do so much. It'll also tend to push traffic onto local roads, which will get a lot of pushback from those communities. If you're not going to do geometric improvements to reduce bottlenecks (removing those closely spaced ramps and putting in frontage roads, for example), you will need to do demand management.

There are a few ways to do that. Reducing overall demand is one, asking people to cut back on trips. When gas prices go up, this happens by itself. Unfortunately, that mostly cuts down on off-peak travel, as people aren't going to stop commuting to work. Another way is to get people over to higher occupancy, whether it's carpools or buses. This is a bit trickier, but it can be done. A third way is spreading out those peaks by encouraging businesses to adopt more flexible starting and ending times. Number four is shifting people over to other modes, and that's the hardest way, because Americans are loth to leave their cars behind. It also requires people to move en masse, or a tremendous amount of money to be spent for new infrastructure (light rail, for example.)
The trouble with this area is that everything is so scattered that there really is no feasible alternative to driving for 90% of people, and the roads are laid out so that almost every trip you will take (shopping, commuting, visiting friends) involves a freeway.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

I would not put signals on freeways. You open yourself up to the risk of high speed rear-end collisions, and frequent ones, at that. Ramp metering is decent, but it can only do so much. It'll also tend to push traffic onto local roads, which will get a lot of pushback from those communities.
To be clear, I'm talking about freeway-freeway interchanges which consistently bog down to sub-15 mph during rush hour because of merging. For example northbound CA 85 and northbound US 101, or US 101 and CA 92. It also seems like minor accidents occur at these interchanges on a daily basis due to people fighting over merge position, which of course makes the situation even worse. I was thinking it might make sense to just signalize these interchanges during rush hour only and have them be free-flowing at other times.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
If I recall my hobbyist forays into TE correctly the negative effects of having traffic come to a complete stop on a multilane carriageway in order to free up capacity for merging traffic would far outweigh potential benefits.

Cichlidae can probably back this up with actual models or theory but passenger cars (equivalents) per hour per lane should be way less with mainline signals installed, even compared to really bad levels of service on a freeway. There's a reason roads eventually got newly built as, or upgraded into, limited access, grade-separated, multilane ones: they're just that much more volume-efficient

(Did I get the US terminology right?)

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

I don't disbelieve you, but I have trouble understanding why that is. Do the models take frequency of collisions into account?

Also, I don't know if this is recommended practice, but California does often use ramp meters on freeway-freeway merges--just only on some of the movements.

Socket Ryanist fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 30, 2013

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Hedera Helix posted:

If anybody from the Philadelphia area is reading this thread, it looks like you're going to be hearing all types of LOOT RAIL CRIME TRAIN :bahgawd: comments from folks in the near future. I am sorry.

We have a train running from Philadelphia through Camden to other parts of South Jersey. There are no "city people" here. I have actively turned down jobs on the PA side of Philadelphia because traffic is so miserable and there is no other transportation options. The Schuylkill is never going to be expanded ever. PA needs as much public transportation coming out of Philadelphia as it can get.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Socket Ryanist posted:

I don't disbelieve you, but I have trouble understanding why that is. Do the models take frequency of collisions into account?

Also, I don't know if this is recommended practice, but California does often use ramp meters on freeway-freeway merges--just only on some of the movements.

Here's a recent example, built in the last twenty odd years (I circled the freeway merge meter, and you can see the actual backlog being caused by freeway-freeway traffic):

e: thumbnailed

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

Mandalay posted:

Here's a recent example, built in the last twenty odd years (I circled the freeway merge meter, and you can see the actual backlog being caused by freeway-freeway traffic):

If you're talking about ramp meters on freeway-freeway interchanges, Minnesota has a whole bunch of them. It might have something to do with our abundant cloverleafs though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Holy gently caress that's terrible, it looks like a still from DREAD. Add some mega-blocks and a wall and you've got mega city one.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

it looks like los angeles to me? :confused: what's so terrible about it?

fake edit: holy poo poo I can't believe I wild guessed that

Socket Ryanist fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 31, 2013

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Both the interchange and the backdrop are super distinctive though :)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Socket Ryanist posted:

It's Los Angeles.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Socket Ryanist posted:

fake edit: holy poo poo I can't believe I wild guessed that

I think, for those of us from outside the United States, we're not used to seeing poo poo like that outside of sci fi dystopias?

Anyway, on the topic of the LA Freeway system, some crazy urban planner in Boston has rendered it as a London Underground style subway map:

http://www.stonebrowndesign.com/los-angeles-freeways.html

And on the topic of the Vancouver bike lane I was talking about earlier, it passed in City Council last night. Cue wailing and gnashing of teeth, then everyone getting back to their lives and completely forgetting about it by this time next year (when the slightly more conservative party running for Council will doubtless try unsuccessfully to resurrect the issue, like they did the last major cycling infrastructure upgrade.)

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
That bus accident in Italy where a bus crashed and fell into a ravine -- How much punishment are the guard rails usually designed to take?

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Mandalay posted:

e: thumbnailed
Judge Harry Pregerson Interchange best interchange. Named after the judge who squashed the lawsuit(s). :smug:

Regarding lights on freeways: see this other 105 interchange. Lights on literally inter-freeway movement, though there's hella space for traffic to back up. It isn't out of the norm for the entire flyover from 405S to 105E to fill up at rush hour. I always saw these as glorified onramps, though. No big deal. :shrug:

edit:

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I think, for those of us from outside the United States, we're not used to seeing poo poo like that outside of sci fi dystopias?
Oh you should see it at night; it's basically the Blade Runner intro sequence minus the fire. Incidentally, those 110-105 diamond-lane flyovers on the Judge Harry Pregerson interchange provide some of the best views of the basin. Looking in or down from a hill or airplane can't compare to being down IN it.

Normal Barbarian fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 31, 2013

Dutch Engineer
Aug 7, 2010

Varance posted:

He got the public garage right, too. The automated parking garage is a thing.

We are building one right now :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CEGhMv_ROM

We're in the process of restoring a lot of old embankments in the Hague. The loss of parking spaces has to be compensated, so we designed a automatic parking garage for the residents who live nearby. It's fully underground except for the entrance, and under the water of the city canal to save space.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Dutch Engineer posted:

We're in the process of restoring a lot of old embankments in the Hague. The loss of parking spaces has to be compensated, so we designed a automatic parking garage for the residents who live nearby. It's fully underground except for the entrance, and under the water of the city canal to save space.

So at what point do you exit the car? The video kinda glossed over it.

What kind of difficulties do canals bring with construction? I think I heard a rumor that one of the biggest problems that the Amsterdam Centraal works were due to the canals somehow?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Dutch Engineer posted:

The benefit of Japanese-style automated garages is they can be vertical with a very small footprint. With as much space as the arm and horizontal storage is taking up, why not just build a conventional underground garage and have people drive in?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Fragrag posted:

I would guess you exit the car after parking it in the above-ground entrance, then punch in your code or swipe your credit card or whatever, before it will accept the car.

grover posted:

With as much space as the arm and horizontal storage is taking up, why not just build a conventional underground garage and have people drive in?

It looks like a pretty small garage. The down- and up ramps would probably take up a huge percentage of the available area, and take more space on the surface. Like all automated garages, it doesn't make sense unless land is hugely expensive, like in Tokyo or Amsterdam.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 31, 2013

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Fragrag posted:

You stay in it to take Instagram photos from the future.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Terminal Entropy posted:

You stay in it to take Instagram photos from the future.

And the awful realisation that a car can only be called up from the surface and there's no cellphone reception underground.

Dutch Engineer
Aug 7, 2010

Fragrag posted:

What kind of difficulties do canals bring with construction? I think I heard a rumor that one of the biggest problems that the Amsterdam Centraal works were due to the canals somehow?

You exit the car after driving it in the elevator building above ground. Motion sensors check for any movement in the car before parking it, to check for any remaining passengers, animal or human.

Most of the times, the problem isn't the canals, but the buildings around them. They tend to be very fragile and susceptible to damages due to soil settlement. We have to remain within a 1:1200 value of angular rotation to prevent cosmetic cracks in the buildings.

grover posted:

The benefit of Japanese-style automated garages is they can be vertical with a very small footprint. With as much space as the arm and horizontal storage is taking up, why not just build a conventional underground garage and have people drive in?

We'd never be able to fit 160 cars in such a small space with a conventional garage. The available space is very rectangular, which leaves little room for traditional ramps.

For those of you who are interested, here are some pictures:

http://www.denhaag.nl/home/bewoners/verkeer-en-vervoer/verkeersprojecten/foto/Bouwfasering-NoordwalVeenkade.htm

http://www.denhaag.nl/home/bewoners/foto/Fotoalbum-voortgang-project-NoordwalVeenkade-2013.htm

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Koesj posted:

If I recall my hobbyist forays into TE correctly the negative effects of having traffic come to a complete stop on a multilane carriageway in order to free up capacity for merging traffic would far outweigh potential benefits.

Cichlidae can probably back this up with actual models or theory but passenger cars (equivalents) per hour per lane should be way less with mainline signals installed, even compared to really bad levels of service on a freeway. There's a reason roads eventually got newly built as, or upgraded into, limited access, grade-separated, multilane ones: they're just that much more volume-efficient

(Did I get the US terminology right?)

Essentially, yes. Queue departure flow varies from region to region, but is typically around 1800-1900 veh/ln/hr. Capacity at LOS E is closer to 2200 veh/ln/hr. Once you hit LOS F, you're back down to queue departure flow. The point of ramp meters is to limit entering traffic and keep the mainline at about LOS E. In theory, this results in better capacity for everyone. Putting it across high-speed traffic, though, is going to result in a string of fatalities.

Anyway, on the topic of the LA Freeway system, some crazy urban planner in Boston has rendered it as a London Underground style subway map:

http://www.stonebrowndesign.com/los-angeles-freeways.html

Ahh, that's wonderful. I should do something similar when I have some free time. (Did I mention I have absolutely no free time these days?)

And on the topic of the Vancouver bike lane I was talking about earlier, it passed in City Council last night. Cue wailing and gnashing of teeth, then everyone getting back to their lives and completely forgetting about it by this time next year (when the slightly more conservative party running for Council will doubtless try unsuccessfully to resurrect the issue, like they did the last major cycling infrastructure upgrade.)

It drives me batty when politicians revisit a good idea and smack it down. "Here's ten grand to design your project, and... now throw it in the trash because we decided not to fund it."

mamosodiumku posted:

That bus accident in Italy where a bus crashed and fell into a ravine -- How much punishment are the guard rails usually designed to take?

We call them "guide rails" here, because someone successfully sued after they failed to 'guard' them from injury. Guide rails have different degrees of deflection, but a high-speed bus is probably going to roll right over the top of them. In cases where we need zero deflection, even with large vehicles, we use tall concrete barriers instead.

-----

Anyone interested in automated parking garages, VISSIM has an excellent simulation...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1QSSWe8pV8

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

heythisguyhere posted:

Judge Harry Pregerson Interchange best interchange. Named after the judge who squashed the lawsuit(s). :smug:

Ahahaha it really is straight out of Judge Dredd.

Cichlidae posted:

It drives me batty when politicians revisit a good idea and smack it down. "Here's ten grand to design your project, and... now throw it in the trash because we decided not to fund it."

Oh, we're good. The infrastructure is scheduled to be built before the next Council election. :smug:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

"Don't go yet, I need to take a picture of that Stop sign for the Traffic Engineer thread."
Something seems a little bit off.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.
So it looks like not everyone is keen on one of our favorite intersections, the roundabout :

Wisconsin GOP Discovers New Threat: Roundabouts

If we don't act now, Wisconsinites might wake up one day in a Milton Keynesian nightmare!

Seriously, though, I'm interested in the WisDOT statistic quoted, stating that roundabouts reduce accidents by 9%. I wonder if that is a comparison of new roundabouts vs. the old intersections they replaced or if it's a comparison of roundabouts vs. other intersections. I would have expected a higher accident reduction rate, but there is very little info on where these statistics came from.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

We put a little roundabout in our small city of 50,000 or so. It reduced vehicular accidents to nearly nothing, but moderately increased the pedestrian and bicycle accident rate (because people felt safer about using that road to walk and bike). The community hated it though, and ended up voting to remove it in spite of every traffic safety commission and engineering council in the state. It was pretty depressing, since the town is otherwise pretty liberal and educated. But our conservative paper put out an all-hands-on-deck effort to kill the roundabout.

http://www.gazettetimes.com/news/lo...1a4bcf887a.html
http://www.gazettetimes.com/news/lo...19bb2963f4.html

Kaal fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 2, 2013

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Gods, how the hell can people hate traffic circles? You do a hell of a lot less stopping than you do for traffic lights.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Kaal posted:

We put a little roundabout in our small city of 50,000 or so. It reduced vehicular accidents to nearly nothing, but moderately increased the pedestrian and bicycle accident rate (because people felt safer about using that road to walk and bike). The community hated it though, and ended up voting to remove it in spite of every traffic safety commission and engineering council in the state. It was pretty depressing, since the town is otherwise pretty liberal and educated. But our conservative paper put out an all-hands-on-deck effort to kill the roundabout.

http://www.gazettetimes.com/news/lo...1a4bcf887a.html

Just another amateur opinion but I'm not really surprised that there were more pedestrian accidents there - there's not really any provision for their crossing at all. I used google to look at as many roundabouts as I could think of in my home of New Zealand and they all have entry traffic islands with a low part for the peds to use. I think on any reasonably busy intersection the pedestrian crossings should be further back from the intersection for a roundabout. I did find one that was like your one, but it was on a tiny residential intersection that will never even have enough traffic to build queues. And shouldn't they also have a yield stripe across the entrances?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Jaguars! posted:

I think on any reasonably busy intersection the pedestrian crossings should be further back from the intersection for a roundabout. I did find one that was like your one, but it was on a tiny residential intersection that will never even have enough traffic to build queues. And shouldn't they also have a yield stripe across the entrances?

Yeah, I don't think that was ever remade properly, looks like they just plopped an island in the middle of the intersection and called it a day.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

PittTheElder posted:

Gods, how the hell can people hate traffic circles? You do a hell of a lot less stopping than you do for traffic lights.

It's new and different, at least in the US. People are bound to complain. Also, for many Americans their first (and often only) impression of roundabouts comes from National Lampoon's European Vacation or some similar farcical example.

I'm just proud I came up with the term "Milton Keynesian"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Round-abouts are european and thus leftist and anti-american and anti-car and part of agenda 21.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Kakairo posted:

Seriously, though, I'm interested in the WisDOT statistic quoted, stating that roundabouts reduce accidents by 9%. I wonder if that is a comparison of new roundabouts vs. the old intersections they replaced or if it's a comparison of roundabouts vs. other intersections. I would have expected a higher accident reduction rate, but there is very little info on where these statistics came from.

I imagine that some accidents are happening because people aren't yet used to the intersections, and that once people become more comfortable with them the statistics will improve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Baronjutter posted:

Round-abouts are european and thus leftist and anti-american and anti-car and part of agenda 21.
Also "other drivers(not me, oh no) don't know how to use them and they'll just cause more problems and :bahgawd:". (ignoring the fact that "other drivers" are often baffled by things as simple as turning without coming to a complete stop, and that people need to use roundabouts if they ever hope to know how to use them)