Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
This last scenario really needs to be pitched to the powers that be and made into an officially sold product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Perhaps Mechs function in Battletech due to the sheer amount of belief that they do work? Mechs are basically worshipped by everyone, so why not go with the explanation that they work because like magic because Mechs as a whole function like some fantasy settings' gods?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Trundel posted:

Perhaps Mechs function in Battletech due to the sheer amount of belief that they do work? Mechs are basically worshipped by everyone, so why not go with the explanation that they work because like magic because Mechs as a whole function like some fantasy settings' gods?

Does that mean red mechs have more firepower and yellow mechs go faster? :orks:

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

Does that mean red mechs have more firepower and yellow mechs go faster? :orks:

Wrong way round there, Soylent.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

apostateCourier posted:

Wrong way round there, Soylent.

I can never remember. I make a horrible ork.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Soylent Pudding posted:

I can never remember. I make a horrible ork.

How can you not remember RED GO FASTA? I haven't even played the game and I know that. RED WUNZ GO FASTA.

It helps that our game store, when it existed, stocked GW paints and I was always delighted by the existence of bottoles of "Go Fasta Red".

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Trundel posted:

Because that's dumb.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Because if you need to explain things like mech fusion reactors or warp drive in physics terms, you have autism.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

How can you not remember RED GO FASTA? I haven't even played the game and I know that. RED WUNZ GO FASTA.

It helps that our game store, when it existed, stocked GW paints and I was always delighted by the existence of bottoles of "Go Fasta Red".

I've never played 40K. Everything I know about it is from watching an LP of that space marine game.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Soylent Pudding posted:

I've never played 40K. Everything I know about it is from watching an LP of that space marine game.

It's okay, neither have I. All you need to remember is Da Red Wunz Go Fasta and that everything, everything, Needs More Dakka.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I don't know much, but I know all my critseeker 'mechs are painted blue. 'cos blue iz lucky.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

- a sound investment!

Cease to Hope posted:

Because that's dumb.

Perfect!

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Trundel posted:

"Clap your hands if you believe in Amaris!"

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

Trast posted:

This last scenario really needs to be pitched to the powers that be and made into an officially sold product.

It's not quite the same thing, but Chroma Squad is sort of getting at the 'superteam fighting evil'-as-TV show theme.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Cease to Hope posted:

Because that's dumb.

Well, so is 40K and yet here we have people suggesting painting mechs red, sooooooooooo

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Maybe they want them red so that they're three times faster. A bright red Atlas doing 9/14 would be terrifying.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Psion posted:

Well, so is 40K and yet here we have people suggesting painting mechs red, sooooooooooo

In fairness, the reason red things go faster for Orks is because they're psychic and their entire race believing it to be true makes it true. It is magic in-universe.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Didn't that turn out to just be the word of a frustrated techpriest who was mad about not being able to figure out how ork shootaz work?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

dis astranagant posted:

Didn't that turn out to just be the word of a frustrated techpriest who was mad about not being able to figure out how ork shootaz work?

That's the in-universe explanation for why stuff doesn't work for the Imperium that way. As far as I'm aware, Ork fluff goes with the same general idea.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Edit: never mind, it's four in the morning, I am in no condition to be trying to apply reason to WH40K.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 31, 2013

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

So the only reason the universe doesn't work like that for the Imperium is... they believe it doesn't, so it doesn't? :psyduck:

Nah, I think the Orks were genetically engineered that way, so that their gigantic psychic gestalt makes whatever they believe in true. The power of the WAAAAGH! is so massive because the Orks are the most populous species in the universe, and since all of them believe that, for example, red wuns go fasta, the WAAAGH! makes it actually happen. Or something like that.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

GhostStalker posted:

Nah, I think the Orks were genetically engineered that way, so that their gigantic psychic gestalt makes whatever they believe in true. The power of the WAAAAGH! is so massive because the Orks are the most populous species in the universe, and since all of them believe that, for example, red wuns go fasta, the WAAAGH! makes it actually happen. Or something like that.

Basically this. They were created by the Old Ones to be living weapons, and powerfully psychic ones at that. For whatever reason, orks end up passively channeling their psychic energy into making their 'tech' work. The few orks that can actively use their psychic potential, well, they end up overloading on the stuff pretty quickly.

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

Pussy Cartel posted:

...they end up overloading on the stuff pretty quickly.
This is the general theme for 40k, right?

Pussy Cartel posted:

They were created... to be living weapons, and powerfully psychic ones at that
Does this also apply to the Tyranid? Quite possibly a bunch of other 40k races too - the Necron spring to mind.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Pussy Cartel posted:

Basically this. They were created by the Old Ones to be living weapons, and powerfully psychic ones at that. For whatever reason, orks end up passively channeling their psychic energy into making their 'tech' work. The few orks that can actively use their psychic potential, well, they end up overloading on the stuff pretty quickly.

And the ones who don't overload become the scariest orks, because they start learning how to think, plan, and plot

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Endomorphic posted:

Does this also apply to the Tyranid? Quite possibly a bunch of other 40k races too - the Necron spring to mind.

Tyranids are from outside of the galaxy, so :shrug:, but the Necron are 'living' weapons of the star gods; the orks were created to fight them.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Endomorphic posted:

This is the general theme for 40k, right?

The Tyranids apparently evolved to eat everything in the universe, and the Necrons (at least post-retcon) made themselves into robots to live forever, but the process was flawed and they took revenge on the beings that taught them how to do it.

fool_of_sound posted:

Tyranids are from outside of the galaxy, so :shrug:, but the Necron are 'living' weapons of the star gods; the orks were created to fight them.

Yeah, pre-retcon the Necrons were just living weapons made by the C'tan, but with the latest codex they've been retconned to still have free will and to have blasted the C'Tan to pieces, literally. Now the star gods (or what's left of them) are -their- living weapons.

Pussy Cartel fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 1, 2013

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Hey, let's get back to the awesome stompy robots.

whatever universe they're from

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

e: this is not the 40k thread what on earth was this doing here

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 1, 2013

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Teledahn posted:

I was sure this was the 40k thread..

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Teledahn posted:

Technically necrons are awesome stompy robots :colbert:

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

- a sound investment!

Affi posted:

I was sure this was the 40k thread..

It's all my fault, I brought up something dumb and it spiralled into ork discussion.

So let's get this feebly back on track! How 'bout them Taurian fellas? Think we'll get another shot at playing as the space texans?

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Trundel posted:

It's all my fault, I brought up something dumb and it spiralled into ork discussion.

So let's get this feebly back on track! How 'bout them Taurian fellas? Think we'll get another shot at playing as the space texans?

What this LP needs is more Amaris. :colbert:

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Trundel posted:

Bah, the most memorable Taurian stuff is just them acting like Death Commandos atrocity-wise but not being nearly as cool (especially since they do it out of paranoia; what's cool about terrified lunatics?). Sure, they aren't always like that, but isn't this during the reign of one of the more paranoid Protectors? Or did he get knocked out already; can't remember this thread's BT canon too well on the Periphery.

Pussy Cartel posted:

What this LP needs is more Amaris. :colbert:

See, now THERE'S a name if you want BT atrocities with style. If he murders a friend to gain power, he has the awesomeness to shoot them in the head himself.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'd like to see Canopians and their Ebon Magistrate even more, but apparently the new RWR replaced them in this timeline so I'm gonna take what I can get.

More evil space communist dictatorship would also be nice.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Seeing as how I think I'm up next this is an official request to Vote FWL often.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I think it is about time we vote Draconis Suns. Unleash the Mackie.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Clan Death Race. Insanely fast 'mechs ramming into each other at top speed.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

KnoxZone posted:

I think it is about time we vote Draconis Suns. Unleash the Mackie.

Going Davion is going Full Retard. You just never do it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Defiance Industries posted:

Going Davion is going Full Retard. You just never do it.

AH, but when going Davion is also going Kurita? With ADVANCED MACKIES? I think you need to reconsider that opinion, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Defiance Industries posted:

going Full Retard

Clan Jade Falcon.

• Locked thread