Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dazat
Nov 23, 2007

tooooooo bad posted:

Yeah I dunno I played Drakengard pretty recently and they're about as direct as they can be about Furiae wanting to get with her brother without fully coming out and saying it. In at least one stage suddenly, and for no apparent reason, the only thing anyone in your party is interested in talking about is how much she wants to jump Caim's bones.

Huh! I guess I forgot about that stage, thanks for the refresher. Interesting how generally tolerant the rest of the cast is about incest (I guess a dragon really wouldn't care). I still think she's not as developed as she could/they probably wanted her to be, though.

As long as I'm posting, here are some of the interesting Drakengard tid-bits from the various Dengeki Online interviews. Nothing too important, but I found them entertaining:

-The amount of dialogue in Drakengard 3 is twice that of the original, so basically the characters will be chatting nonstop through the stages. Apparently Dito and Decard have some especially funny banter, the former being an unabashed sadist and the latter a covert masochist…

-Apparently Dito is Leonard's Fairy-level in terms of being a troll. I just hope he's not quite as annoying.

-As if it weren't obvious, the producer confirmed sexuality as being a major theme in the story.

-For anyone familiar with/interested in Japanese voice talent, the initial cast has been confirmed. It's a good mix of newcomers and established veterans:
Zero: Maaya Uchida
One: Rie Tanaka
Mikhail: Nao Toyama
Dito: Mitsuki Saiga
Decard: Kazuhiko Inoue
Octa: Chafurin
Cent: Ryoutaro Okiayu
Japanese fans are wondering if professional actor and series mainstay Peter (who voiced Caim/Angelus in Drakengard and Weiss in Nier) is going to have a role.

-Aoi Eir, lead singer on the soundtrack, was selected in part due to being an extremely vocal Drakengard fan. Her favorite character is Angelus and she stated that having to fight her in Drakengard 2 gave her a burning hatred of Nowe.

-Apparently the romance? between Caim and Angelus was conceptualized as one between a young man and an elderly woman.

-Speaking of Furiae, in an interview Taro Yokoo mentioned she was inspired by the kind of women he dislikes the most (I'm assuming he means gloomy and submissive and not into their siblings).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

dazat posted:

-The amount of dialogue in Drakengard 3 is twice that of the original, so basically the characters will be chatting nonstop through the stages. Apparently Dito and Decard have some especially funny banter, the former being an unabashed sadist and the latter a covert masochist…

Oh my god. This makes me hope even more that this gets localized, and that they have the same kind of voice direction they had with NIER. The banter between characters made otherwise plain or even dull gameplay actually entertaining at worst, and made the genuinely cool moments truly shine. I'm imagining this same kind of approach to something that's pretty much 100% KILL MAIM BURN, and the opportunities for depraved humor are just through the roof.

dazat posted:

-Aoi Eir, lead singer on the soundtrack, was selected in part due to being an extremely vocal Drakengard fan. Her favorite character is Angelus and she stated that having to fight her in Drakengard 2 gave her a burning hatred of Nowe.

She ain't Emi Evans, but...you know, she's probably alright, going by this. :allears:

quote:

-Speaking of Furiae, in an interview Taro Yokoo mentioned she was inspired by the kind of women he dislikes the most (I'm assuming he means gloomy and submissive and not into their siblings).

It says something about Yoko Taro that he'd be so forthright in describing a character that we were apparently meant to hate. Where can these interviews be found, anyway?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Mazed posted:

In rereading the Drakengard LP, I figured I'd choke down my initial revulsion for the music and sit and listen to it for a while, while working.

poo poo, this kind of thing is actually starting to grow on me. :shepface:
This song will always be a favorite of mine because of the first time I heard it, I started freaking out because I thought something had happened to my computer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc92-FoimhU

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Mazed posted:

It says something about Yoko Taro that he'd be so forthright in describing a character that we were apparently meant to hate. Where can these interviews be found, anyway?

On Dengeki Online's big Drakengard 3 page: http://news.dengeki.com/sp/dod3/?rside

Another story was posted on the main site, this time about Four. It's kind of like a comedy, with her being terrorized by Five (who can't stop talking about her breasts), Three (a narcoleptic who keeps cutting her hair with scissors getting strands everywhere) and Two (who Four hates for being cute and tomboyish at the same time). Four has got a severe case of Jan Brady going on, jealous of all her sister's attributes and very down on herself. She seems like the straight man until her frustrations make her go completely crazy and wreck the entire room she's in. The only one she looks up to is One... and Zero, who she longs to be with again, even if it means sacrificing the rest of her sisters.

Also have the contents of the 10th Anniversary Box Set been discussed yet? It sounds truly pimping:
-One copy of the Drakengard 3 Game Software
-Commemorative Book "Inside the World of Drakengard". Will include creator commentary, chronology spanning all four games in the series, illustration collection and brand new stories. 336 pages, comes with pull-out poster.
-Drakengard Remix CD "Chips". Features remixed tracks from Drakengard 1&2 + Nier. Contains 24 tracks + bonus ones. Will NOT be sold separately.
-Blu-ray DVD containing all cutscenes from earlier titles as well as trailers and commercials. Will also contain an 8-bit parody of the first Drakengard.
-A Drakengard 3 Novel that will collect the short stories that have been published on the website plus extra ones. Will feature full-color illustration inserts. 178 pages.
-Postcard book.
-2 Volume, Hard-cover Compilation of the original Drakengard script. Will include dialogue that was cut or edited. 32 pages.
-DLC Code for Kaine's costume.

Will retail for 19800 yen… or about $250. For the time being it is only available for preorder from the Japanese Square-Enix store. If I could find a way to buy it, I totally would; $250 doesn't seem so bad for all the stuff you'd be getting.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Of all the game series I would expect to get a lavish anniversary edition, Drakengard isn't even in the top 500. drat if I don't want it though...

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Of all the game series I would expect to get a lavish anniversary edition, Drakengard isn't even in the top 500. drat if I don't want it though...
Yeah its pretty baffling that Drakengard of all games is popular enough to warrant something like all this.

I really wish Shadows Hearts was as lucky. :smith:

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah its pretty baffling that Drakengard of all games is popular enough to warrant something like all this.

I really wish Shadows Hearts was as lucky. :smith:

A Shadow Hearts 4 would single-handedly revive my faith in the jRPG genre.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Azure_Horizon posted:

Which is a bit strange considering the series turned into almost straight parody of jRPGs in the last game.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

BioMe posted:

Which is a bit strange considering the series turned into almost straight parody of jRPGs in the last game.

We could use more jRPG parody games that are actually funny, like the SH games were.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Azure_Horizon posted:

Nier and Persona 4 already did that for me, but drat it there was still so much they could have done with Shadow Hearts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't know, I think SH2 worked as a better parody. SH3 felt like they were mostly repeating jokes from the last one in a lot of places.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I regret not finishing Shadow Hearts 3.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
The only thing stopping me from buying the anniversary edition is that it is in japanese. I would have pre ordered it, if it was in english.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Here's an image of the fold-out poster:

Although Kaine won the vote, when asked, the producer said if there is enough demand from the fans there's a definite possibility of more DLC costumes.
So maybe we will see Caim after all!

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know, I think SH2 worked as a better parody. SH3 felt like they were mostly repeating jokes from the last one in a lot of places.

Well, yeah, but SH3's gameplay is one of the few perfectly-executed examples in the genre. They took the Judgment Ring system and tweaked it into something masterful.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I was thinking about the story to Drakengard 3 and it could actually be pretty good if they can do subtlety. I'm worried that they cannot. All the material shown makes it look like they're just gonna throw crazy everywhere when they need to reign it in and be smart about it :(

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

The official 8-bit parody has been posted on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPXtjkC5VQY&feature=youtu.be
It's in Japanese but you can easily get the gist. :)

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

It's still great how the ending that the fewest people reach is still the one that everyone remembers most.

I wonder if Drakengard 3 is going to try and top that, maybe throw in some NIER tie-in in the process.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

To be fair, it is one of the biggest "gently caress You, Player" moments in gaming ever devised. I didn't even play it and I felt like I got slapped in the face when I got to the end of the Drakengard LP.

But Drakengard 3 is a prequel to Drakengard 1 so there probably won't be any direct references to Nier, it does look like we might get a better explanation of what the Watchers are and with it some stuff from Grimoire Nier like the Red Eyes though.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Three has been introduced:

More info here: http://gematsu.com/2013/07/drakengard-3-introduces-utautai-sister-three
No word yet on her creepy sex fetishes!

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

dazat posted:

If I had to guess, she's into scissoring.

:downsrim:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

dazat posted:

Three has been introduced:

More info here: http://gematsu.com/2013/07/drakengard-3-introduces-utautai-sister-three

It's like they know The Dark Id is going to LP this game. Ten bucks says she has a twin brother/lover and they live in a giant clock tower with a cackling pirate.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Despite there only being six sisters their dominant personality traits seem to be skittering close to the seven deadly sins, Zero being wrath, One pride, Three sloth, Four envy, etc.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Monomythian posted:

Despite there only being six sisters their dominant personality traits seem to be skittering close to the seven deadly sins, Zero being wrath, One pride, Three sloth, Four envy, etc.

They were going to make a seventh one representing Lust but then they realized they didn't have to bother.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hey if y'all are curious, recently a bunch of speedrunners did a charity marathon and Nier was one of the games.

http://www.twitch.tv/speeddemosarchivesda/b/436141353?t=2h38m20s

Here's the VoD if you wanna watch, final time was 3:23:22

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Monomythian posted:

Could you not decide if Five was Gluttony or Greed?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

dazat posted:

The official 8-bit parody has been posted on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPXtjkC5VQY&feature=youtu.be

Trolled by Cavia Square Enix.

dazat posted:

Three

Slightly crisper image from website.

TurnipFritter posted:

Could you not decide if Five was Gluttony or Greed?

I don't think Five knows either :v:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 1, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Siliconera translated Four's story: http://www.siliconera.com/2013/08/02/drakengard-3s-four-is-a-caring-sister-who-also-has-a-dark-side/. Surprise: she's crazy.

e: reminded me of the other manga going on. There are a few chapters on its website if you want to see what that's about. Despite the way it looks

...it's still Drakengard.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 3, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

tooooooo bad posted:

Siliconera translated Four's story: http://www.siliconera.com/2013/08/02/drakengard-3s-four-is-a-caring-sister-who-also-has-a-dark-side/. Surprise: she's crazy.

e: reminded me of the other manga going on. There are a few chapters on its website if you want to see what that's about. Despite the way it looks

...it's still Drakengard.

The most interesting part of that story was the part with three. Know we know what the scissors are for!

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Taro Yoko posted on Twitter that he just received a copy of Nier signed by the English voice actors of Nier, Kaine, Emil and Weiss:

I'm jealous! I want Jamieson Price's authograph too....

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I just found out there was a locally owned gaming store in my town and it even had a copy of Drakengard. Pretty lucky!

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Gaseous Snake posted:

I just found out there was a locally owned gaming store in my town and it even had a copy of Drakengard. Pretty lucky!

That is lucky. I mean, it's not everyday you can find someone seeking out Drakengard knowing full well what they'd be getting in to. :haw:

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

An astute Japanese fan made a connection between which Apostles belong to which sister based on image color and the location of their corresponding numbers on the Apostle's clothing:

I guess in place of her own apostle, Zero has Mikhail. And while it hasn't been confirmed, both of the mangas being serialized right now imply One has a dragon of her own (a black one as opposed to Mikhail's white).

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Three's story has been posted. It's very… uh… well, if you thought Five and Four were crazy…

To summarize, it's in the form of a diary in which Three writes about her favorite hobby: doll-making. At first you think she's talking about toy dolls, but as the story goes on you're given reason to believe the dolls were once human. She also talks about her love of scissors and her apostle, Octa. Here are some choice segments:

quote:

I played tea party with my dolls today. They break whenever we play war, but this should be okay. It's fun chatting with them, since they're such good listeners, and never interject with lines like "What do you mean?" or "That doesn't make any sense". I tried giving them some tea and cake, but while I was I noticed their faces were this awful color. I tried washing them, but the color didn't go away. They smelled bad too… so I threw them away. Now I have to make more. I decided not to play tea party anymore.

I love dolls, but I also love scissors. The sound they make while they're cutting, how they feel in my hands… I love everything about them. I have so much fun cutting my hair with them I sometimes forget to sleep or eat. I tried cutting Octa's hair, too. It's stiff and wiry, not like mine. But when I tried trimming his whiskers he ran away. Really, I wanted to cut all his hair off, but I guess he doesn't like scissors as much as me. I wonder why not? He doesn't like my dolls, either…

Octa wears these funny shoes. I wanted to put them on one of my dolls but he wouldn't let me. Even though they seem hard to move in, he runs really fast. The time I tried to cut his hair he surprised me how quickly he was able to run away. When I tried cutting other places he was even quicker. He's funny! Why doesn't he like it? It's such fun. I don't get it. Come to think of it, I haven't played with him much lately. But that's because he hates my dolls. If he doesn't want to play with my dolls, he can just play by himself.

I want cuter dolls. But how to make them cuter? Have them wear cuter clothes? Or give them cuter haircuts? But then if I took the clothes off or cut their hair, they wouldn't be cute anymore. What to do? I thought about t a long time. I lined up all my dolls and tried to see what made one cuter than the other. I realized the dolls who had bigger heads, wider forehead, larger eyes, smaller noses and mouths and chubbier cheeks were cuter on average. Now I know!

Today I tried my hand at turning one of my dolls cute. It was much harder than I expected. Making his head bigger was tough. Doll heads are really hard, you see. You can't just blow them up like balloons. I tried various methods, but the doll ended up ruined half-way through. Still, it gave me a good idea. If changing the head is so hard, how about the body? If I modified the length of the arms and legs…

It was a success! Next I tried filling up their tummies with cotton. I had the idea looking at some pillows. I stuffed his arms and legs, even his fingers, with the stuff. Now he's so round and cute! When I put his head back on, it seemed smaller than his new body. Perfect! My cute doll was complete. But since it was my first try, the lengths of his arms were uneven. I'm sure I'll improve the more I practice. I'll make more tomorrow.

I've gotten really good at making cute dolls. The key is, I realized, to make them look like babies. I'd like to make their cheeks softer and chubbier, just like a baby's. For that, I want material that is softer than cotton. But what?

I tried cutting various things to determine their softness. My comforter, my cushions, my stuffed animals, even my cakes. When I cut my cushions, feathers flew out everywhere and I couldn't stop sneezing. While I was cutting my cakes, my scissors got covered in cream. When Octa saw me sneezing while licking the sticky cream off my scissors, he looked about to laugh, but at the same kind really fed up. It was strange. He washed me and helped me change my clothes, covered with feathers, so my sneezing stopped. But I wasn't able to find a good filling. What are baby cheeks made out of, anyway…?

In the end I decided to use bundles of yarn for the cheeks, since it's what felt the best.
It took many days, but I managed to make cheeks as soft as a baby's. With their chubby chess and pudgy tummies, my dolls are so adorable. And they're all mine.

But I'm not done. I want to make them even cuter.
How to do so? What to stuff them with? What materials to use?
I really have to think hard this time.
Octa wants to play with me, but I'm busy. If I make more dolls, I figure out how to make them cuter. What kind of doll to make next… a cute doll that I can't play with lots… hee hee… hee hee hee hee.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Octa is a very brave man, I think this is the only story so far that even mentions any of the apostles. Why are they hanging around, anyway?
Are they slaves or do they stick around by their own free will?

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Renoistic posted:

Octa is a very brave man, I think this is the only story so far that even mentions any of the apostles. Why are they hanging around, anyway?
Are they slaves or do they stick around by their own free will?

Dito is also mentioned in Five's story where she's sexually harassing him. I'm guessing being the bodyguard of women who are considered Goddesses entails a pretty cushy lifestyle? It doesn't seem like they're kept by force, but both Dito and now Octa are described as being somewhat put off by them.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
To prepare myself for Drakengard 3 I'm going to play the original to 100% completion... or at least try to. I have seen Id's LP (possibly the best thing ever) and know what I'm getting into, but I'm also a massive sucker for Dynasty Warriors-style gameplay, no matter how derivative or dull. Its just calming to me to hack away at legions of foes. I may try to do Nier and DoD2 if possible.

In any case, there is something delightfully camp about What the gently caress Drakengard. Its as if the designers realised the only person who could actually suit the dynasty warriors murderthon would be a wanton psychopath and just built the game around that. Attack on Titan is kind of the same deal, though I'd love to see Caim fight the Titans. So much blood.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

The developers have just announced pushing back Drakengard 3's release date two months from October to December. The reason stated was to give them more time to improve the game's overall quality. This is a bummer since I was looking forward to playing it ASAP, but considering how choppy some of the gameplay looked in the official trailer it's probably a good thing.

In other news, Two has been revealed:

Unlike the other sisters she seems perfectly pleasant, being described as very cheerful and friendly. It's also mentioned that she has a man she's in love with (presumably Cent), and that the two are extremely lovey-dovey.

The other apostles seem to have at least some reason for betraying the sisters they serve (Dito is described as being uncomfortable with Five's voracity, Four is a virgin and probably doesn't indulge Decad's, err, 'interests', and Octa has reason to fear for his life in Three's company), but it'll be interesting to see what drives Two and Cent apart.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
It's Drakengard, so probably one of them is secretly horribly bitter and is perpetrating a loveless sham of a relationship for the opportunity to crush the other at the worst possible time.

Alternatively; Zero threatens to crush an orphanage unless Cent joins her crusade to advance the great and terrible Plot

(the real joke is that those orphans would've been off better merely being crushed to death, and then Cent will cry really hard, and Zero won't care because she is a Cavia protagonist)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyagato
Apr 6, 2009

dazat posted:

The developers have just announced pushing back Drakengard 3's release date two months from October to December. The reason stated was to give them more time to improve the game's overall quality. This is a bummer since I was looking forward to playing it ASAP, but considering how choppy some of the gameplay looked in the official trailer it's probably a good thing.

In other news, Two has been revealed:

Unlike the other sisters she seems perfectly pleasant, being described as very cheerful and friendly. It's also mentioned that she has a man she's in love with (presumably Cent), and that the two are extremely lovey-dovey.

The other apostles seem to have at least some reason for betraying the sisters they serve (Dito is described as being uncomfortable with Five's voracity, Four is a virgin and probably doesn't indulge Decad's, err, 'interests', and Octa has reason to fear for his life in Three's company), but it'll be interesting to see what drives Two and Cent apart.

Huh, I just read an article on famitsu that said the release date was the 19th of December but this image says 30th october.

• Locked thread