Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

I may need some 10G CWDM SFPs soon. Cisco doesn't make any, does anyone have a brand recommendation? There seem to be a few brands out there and they all look the same to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

CrazyLittle posted:

What are you guys doing for 10gig switches?

We're buying Arista 7150's now. I have been really impressed with Arista right now especially with their support. We had a NAT configuration issue and the first person that responded to my support email actually knew what they were talking about. Since Dell acquired Force10, they have been pissing me a lot off lately. The latest fight I am having with them is that they decided to covert the Force10 serial numbers to Dell Service tags. That's great and all, but there is no way to remotely pull the service tag from the switch (it only shows the Force10 serial). Even with the Dell-branded Force10 switches the only way to retrieve the service tag is to look at the sticker on the chassis. :psyduck:

Pricewise, Arista is pretty competitive with Force10 so it's a no brainer for us.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
For what kind of environment? We're using n3k's but they suck so we're moving to 9922's (weird placement but we need the 2 million mac table)

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Herv posted:

Huh, I'm trying to bring up a GRE tunnel on a 6500 that once had a VPN module, now removed, and getting ISAKMP errors.

All the old config for the VPN module was removed before pulling it. This switch was doing software engine before the VPN module was used. I... I am at a total loss.

code:

Debugging shows:
Jul 31 19:16:18: ISAKMP: Unable to allocate IKE SA

IKE is complaining about no crypto engine looks like, 
but the software engine is there as I would expect:
c6506#sh cry engine conf

crypto engine name:  Cisco VPN Software Implementation
        crypto engine type:  software
             serial number:  0044AD57
       crypto engine state:  installed
     crypto engine in slot:  N/A
                  platform:  Cisco Software Crypto Engine

Crypto Adjacency Counts:
                Lock Count:  0
              Unlock Count:  0
        crypto lib version:  18.0.0

So far I have toggled the 'crypto engine software ipsec' global setting, shows up when disabled.

Stopped and started ISAKMP.

Changed IOS versions, even though the original one was using the software engine prior to the VPN module usage.

Currently running 'Cisco IOS Software, s72033_rp Software (s72033_rp-ADVENTERPRISEK9_WAN-M), Version 12.2(33)SXI1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)' for IOS.

Doing a show run | inc crypto brings back no surprises, with an | inc slot coming back null (VPN module configs).

I really want to avoid booting a default config, what am I missing here?

I hope its something stupid, thanks.

For what's it worth that's the same debug message you get from a 7600 with no crypto card because it can't do crypto in software. I think the 6500 *should* be able to do it without a card but I'm not sure. I'll try to look into it and see what I can find out tomorrow. That said, I hope you're not expecting any specular (or even mediocre) performance from that thing for crypto.

Any chance we can get a full set of debugs (guessing it fails at end of main mode) and a show run | sec isakmp?

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite

Sepist posted:

For what kind of environment? We're using n3k's but they suck so we're moving to 9922's (weird placement but we need the 2 million mac table)

And now you can use PBB and won't need it. What a wonderful catch 22

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite

ruro posted:

Optics

I'd recommend either http://www.networkhardware.com/ or http://www.surplusswitching.com/

Either way, make sure whoever is doing it actually flashes the EEPROM and get DOM.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

CrazyLittle posted:

Force10 S4810s. Some of them rock and a few of them don't and fail like Dell devices will. Serious pros, though: any Cisco guy can configure them, and when I bought 'em they were half the cost of the Nexus port-to-port. Wirespeed, reversible airflow. Declining support quality. But rockin' switches if you can buy a bunch of them and don't have to call them.

I would buy Arista if I were buying, but I'm about to get swallowed by a big Cisco fish and all my dreams of opensystem multi-vendor hippie flowers will shatter just as they'd shimmered into view...

everything is really Finisar optics in sleeves, no?

edit: seconding service tag nonsense (your databases are my problem :confused:). One other problem with Dell support: Dell Europe, Asia, Australia and North America all seem to be different companies. That's four vendors sending you invoices, four sales reps to badger when Irish support is dragging rear end, and you'd think that because I have Dell switching, I could get less finger-pointing from Dell Storage or vice-versa. Not really.

edit2: also Network Hardware Resale. Not if you need it now, then you go to your serious VAR. Not if you're loving over a channel partner who sells directly to you. But if you need it kinda soon and a bunch of it cheap (maybe smartnet it later :ssh:), they're awesome. Good RMAs, all that. Sales guys love you for buying.

bort fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 1, 2013

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

tortilla_chip posted:

I'd recommend either http://www.networkhardware.com/ or http://www.surplusswitching.com/

Either way, make sure whoever is doing it actually flashes the EEPROM and get DOM.

My googlefu is failing me; is this something I can do after plugging it into a switch, or something I need the vendor or a third party to do?

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
This is something the vendor will handle. The EEPROM in the optic stores the serial number and other identifying information. Good third party optics vendors will reverse engineer this so that the optics appear to be authentic Cisco gear. Then there's no need for service unsupported transceiver/transceiver permit pid all. In the early days of third party optics you'd run into issues where the vendor would assign the same serial number to multiple optics. Turns out that causes bad things (like a card reboot on a 6500).

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Bluecobra posted:

We had a NAT configuration issue and the first person that responded to my support email actually knew what they were talking about.

Yeah, I'm looking at Arista based on the feedback here, but can you expand a little bit on this? (I mean, why would you NAT on a switch?)

Sepist posted:

Simple VLAN switching and trunking, aggregation for 10-20gb/sec worth of colo-to-internet traffic among web servers, and etherchannel would be unwise.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

CrazyLittle posted:

4500X

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

4500s because we're dumb and management things that Cisco is the only network vendor ever.

World z0r Z
May 26, 2013

CrazyLittle posted:

Juniper EX 4500, 4550
Nexus 5500 (they suck in some ways)
Nexus 7000 (better)
good old 6708's on 6500's

we were looking at Arista last year but their demo sucked so we passed.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

psydude posted:

4500s because we're dumb and management things that Cisco is the only network vendor ever.

I noticed this at my new place. They're all 4500's.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

GOOCHY posted:

I noticed this at my new place. They're all 4500's.

I don't even want to know how long it took to convince them to buy F5s.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

psydude posted:

Honestly I'm ok with a 100% cisco network, assuming by network you mean routers and switches. gently caress Cisco loadbalancers/wan accelerators/NMS/software packages etc.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Currently have a L2 switch acting as a L3 switch. Issue is that it isn't redistributing static routes correctly. We've made a bunch of changes to BGP AD and the like. Tonight I'm replacing the L2 with an actual L3 3560.

Under the routing statements for EIGRP, what do I need for a stub to properly advertise both static ranges/ip routes and actual ranges on an interface? It was an either/or situation last time we fooled with it and I assumed that was due to it being a L2 switch only.

"Redistribute static"?

"EIGRP stub connected" is on the production switch and we thought this may be why our Core's were not loading the static entries correctly. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the stub command would keep the Core's from polling the switch for the routes, correct? Trying to remove that command results in the error: "EIGRP is restricted to stub configurations only on this platform."

We tried "eigrp stub static" but it killed all traffic IIRC.

I don't think I'll need any as AFAIK no other switch with a similar concept requires any statements like the above.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 1, 2013

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
A 3560 can do full EIGRP, but from that error message it sounds like you don't have the right code loaded on to that switch. I believe you need IP-services.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Yeha, I'm replacing a L2 3750 that we rigged as a L3 switch in an emergency with a full/licensed L3 3560.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

ruro posted:

I may need some 10G CWDM SFPs soon. Cisco doesn't make any, does anyone have a brand recommendation? There seem to be a few brands out there and they all look the same to me.

Fiberstore.com. if not comfortable sending your money to China I can hook you up with someone who resells stuff in the states, pm me if curious.

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

We tried "eigrp stub static" but it killed all traffic IIRC.

I don't think I'll need any as AFAIK no other switch with a similar concept requires any statements like the above.

Try eigrp stub connected static(you aren't limited to one of connected/static/summary/receive-only, they are all usable at the same time). Stub will only advertise what it knows about locally, so anything it learns from neighbours won't be advertised.

ruro fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 1, 2013

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

CrazyLittle posted:

Yeah, I'm looking at Arista based on the feedback here, but can you expand a little bit on this? (I mean, why would you NAT on a switch?)
In the wonderful finance you have to make connections with lots of outside vendors and they want to see traffic come in from a specific range that they define. For a long time we were tied down to 6500's since it was AFAIK the only platform that would do hardware NAT at the time. Now that Arista can do dynamic hardware NAT, we can start ripping out 6500's and reduce latency (from 10 microseconds to 380ns), save a shitton of power, reduce maintenance costs significantly, and don't have to worry about stuff like 10GbE over-subscription.

edit: The Cisco Nexus 3548 can finally do hardware dynamic NAT as well, but they are almost double the price of a comparable Arista switch.

Bluecobra fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 1, 2013

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Finance NAT = sNAT 4 times over radianz, or sNAT/dNAT twice for VPN/direct connect, or policy NAT because JPMorgan takes weeks to approve an addition to the VPN. That poo poo was the worst.

^^^ Also the Nexus 3548 sucks rear end in a high packet environment, igmp snooping and ntp have some cpu leak bugs that cisco has been trying to figure out for a few months now. Not sure if Arista has the same problem since they share some common hardware

edit: I'm thinking of the 3064 with broadcom ASIC's

Sepist fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 2, 2013

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Wasn't nexus 3548 built almost specifically for high pps low latency?

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

Sepist posted:

^^^ Also the Nexus 3548 sucks rear end in a high packet environment, igmp snooping and ntp have some cpu leak bugs that cisco has been trying to figure out for a few months now. Not sure if Arista has the same problem since they share some common hardware

I am pretty sure Cisco is using their own ASICs for the Nexus 3548.

jwh posted:

Wasn't nexus 3548 built almost specifically for high pps low latency?

Yes, and I will leave you with this silly flowchart from their marketing department:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
You're right, looks like they moved away from Broadcom to an in house silicon.

edit: I may have been thinking of the 3048 which I believe still uses broadcom

Sepist fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 2, 2013

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Rofl. That reminds me of when the ISP I used to work for sent out a marketing mailer with how fast our packets traveled in miles per hour. IIRC they literally pinged a server in another state, then took the distance from our city to there and half the round-trip time to come up with a speed. It was glorious.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

So Cisco is selling race cars? :psyduck:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

jwh posted:

So Cisco is selling race cars? :psyduck:

The current software version has a bug where the brakes stop working after 10 uses. You can use the previous one but you need to restart the engine every 20 laps.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
For 10gig switching:

Juniper EX4500
Extreme X650
HP 6120XG (chassis)

Also, NHR (Network Hardware Resale) is the best, they're a friend in town and have a great environment/staff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_80CCVhz9b8&feature=share&list=UU_HHHajGwg0BUFppqxu0l4Q

madsushi fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 2, 2013

World z0r Z
May 26, 2013

madsushi posted:

For 10gig switching:

Juniper EX4500

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
10G Switching

ToR - Juniper EX4500
Dist / Core - Juniper EX8200 / EX9200

World z0r Z
May 26, 2013

I was this close *holds fingers 1mm apart* from deploying a 65 Tor Juniper QFabric last year. Funding fell through though :cry:

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

madsushi posted:

Also, NHR (Network Hardware Resale) is the best, they're a friend in town and have a great environment/staff.

Yeah, we got our redundant 7604/rsp720-3cxl-10ge pair from them :)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Man all y'all talking about your super cool datacenter switches is making me jealous. Although to be honest, given the fact that we run 3560s at our edge (supporting 2 or 3 machines in some cases), I'm kind of surprised we don't have Nexuses running in our DC.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

psydude posted:

Man all y'all talking about your super cool datacenter switches is making me jealous. Although to be honest, given the fact that we run 3560s at our edge (supporting 2 or 3 machines in some cases), I'm kind of surprised we don't have Nexuses running in our DC.

Don't feel too bad, the coolest gear I get to work with is a few 2911's, 1921's and a shitload of Fortigate endpoints. And a bunch of linux based value added stuff :( YOJB next year. Still, I feel like I deliver cool functionality to our customers on very slow, per kilobyte billed satellite equipment.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

World z0r Z posted:

I was this close *holds fingers 1mm apart* from deploying a 65 Tor Juniper QFabric last year. Funding fell through though :cry:

I was involved a bit in the bake off for DCB deployment for DoD between QFabric / Nexus / Brocade........was fun.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

psydude posted:

Man all y'all talking about your super cool datacenter switches is making me jealous.

Eh, be careful what you wish for. It's a bit like asking yourself which chronic illness you'd rather have, herpes or shingles.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
With great switches comes great responsibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Can we talk about how annoying it is that Cisco's TFTP only supports transfers for files up to 16MB and IOS 15.0 is over that limit?