Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

hobbesmaster posted:

2 catalinas vs a heavy bomber, that must have been an interesting "dogfight".

Reminds me of the story I read a long time ago about a "dogfight" wherein a B-17 shot down a Japanese H8K four-engine flying boat.

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Picnic Princess posted:

Hey aircraft goons, I saw this at the Kuching airport in Borneo. Anybody know what it is?

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm going to say a DHC-4 Caribou :canada:

Yeah, that's a Caribou. They're pretty much unmistakable.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Awesome, thanks! Kind of funny that I saw a Canadian plane as a Canadian travelling so far from home.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Nebakenezzer posted:

In Norway, KG 40/I Fw 200s reverted to it's original mission of scouting the seas, and did very little attacking. For a time, flights were made to recon Reykjavik harbor and its regular convoy departures. Predictably, this didn't take long to go wrong - a Fw 200 became the first plane shot down by the USAAF during World War 2, when a C-3 on the Reykjavik run was intercepted and shot down by a P-38 and a P-39.

I love these post, Neb--your German LTA posts were fantastic, and I'm looking forward to whatever's next. I suggest a fact-check on the Airacobra; I'm pretty sure the first USAAF kill was a P-40 setting alight a Condor's engine, with a P-38 finishing her off.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Leviathor posted:

I love these post, Neb--your German LTA posts were fantastic, and I'm looking forward to whatever's next. I suggest a fact-check on the Airacobra; I'm pretty sure the first USAAF kill was a P-40 setting alight a Condor's engine, with a P-38 finishing her off.

You mean the first USAAF kill in Europe, right?

But yeah, you're remembering right:

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 1, 2013

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

StandardVC10 posted:

Is there any pattern to activity at a military airfield? One time I was down in San Diego, and I tried hanging out at a beach near NAS North Island to watch some jets, and spent quite some time there without seeing anything flying except one Customs/Border Patrol helicopter. I figure I just happened to go there on a slow day, since there are photographers who have lots of images from there, and so on.

There are no jets flying based out of NAS North Island any more which might have something to do with it. ;)

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Leviathor posted:

Thanks. Fact checking is always appreciated. Side note: despite it being both Nazi and WW2, figuring out when the Fw 200 got the engine upgrade was surprisingly bitchy. Sources either were vague about when it happened, or disagreed.

Also, thanks for the kind words. I was a little embarrassed about this one. When I was a teenager reading books about world war 2, I always found the Condor very interesting, because it was always mentioned, but rarely talked about in any detail. So as a kid knowing that it was both really atypical for a Luftwaffe aircraft (being four engined and really long range) and knowing how many problems the 'no long-range bomber' thing caused Germany, I always wanted more detail then I was finding. Many years later, I built that 1/72 model of the Fw 200 some of you may remember. And being me, I read a metric ton of stuff around the Condor while building it. And then, of course, I had to tell all this to other people...

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Went to Ohskosh and had a great time. I've been going every year since I was born, but this was the first year I paid for a Ford Tri-motor ride. I also managed to get to hang out with some really amazing photographers. Next year I will be most likely volunteering on the photo staff.

Not my image, but an example of some of the great work that gets done there.

Lightbulb Out fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 1, 2013

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I'm going Oshkosh on saturday. Is there anything i should look for? Anything I should try to do? any talks I should make time for?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

Reminds me of the story I read a long time ago about a "dogfight" wherein a B-17 shot down a Japanese H8K four-engine flying boat.

I'm imagining some good ole fashion age of sail broad sides.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You mean the first USAAF kill in Europe, right?

Like we fought in any other theater... But now I'm curious, what was the first AAF aerial victory after 7 Dec 41? Even considering Pearl, those units were technically part of the Reserves.

According to information from AFHRA, Boyd Wagner had a couple firsts in the PTO (first ace of the USAAF (12/16/41, with four kills on 12/13/41), first Distinguished Service Cross), but I don't see him having the first USAAF aerial victory. The handful of other contenders are fairly obscure, and finding information about them is difficult.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Thanks. Fact checking is always appreciated. Side note: despite it being both Nazi and WW2, figuring out when the Fw 200 got the engine upgrade was surprisingly bitchy. Sources either were vague about when it happened, or disagreed.

Also, thanks for the kind words. I was a little embarrassed about this one. When I was a teenager reading books about world war 2, I always found the Condor very interesting, because it was always mentioned, but rarely talked about in any detail. So as a kid knowing that it was both really atypical for a Luftwaffe aircraft (being four engined and really long range) and knowing how many problems the 'no long-range bomber' thing caused Germany, I always wanted more detail then I was finding. Many years later, I built that 1/72 model of the Fw 200 some of you may remember. And being me, I read a metric ton of stuff around the Condor while building it. And then, of course, I had to tell all this to other people...

No man, we enjoy reading the manifestations of your perverse neuroses. Keep it comin'.

Lightbulb Out posted:

Went to Ohskosh and had a great time. I've been going every year since I was born, but this was the first year I paid for a Ford Tri-motor ride. I also managed to get to hang out with some really amazing photographers. Next year I will be most likely volunteering on the photo staff.

Not my image, but an example of some of the great work that gets done there.

There are a few people there from the Fred Miranda forums who are passionate about aircraft. Chances are you met a few of them.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Nerobro posted:

I'm going Oshkosh on saturday. Is there anything i should look for? Anything I should try to do? any talks I should make time for?

Have you been before? Just bring sun screen, and try to have a good time. There is so much to see and do that it's really hard to say just one thing. I prefer just hanging out in warbirds. And definitely don't be afraid to talk to people.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Nerobro posted:

This is a few years back now, but I had awesome luck going to talks opposite Rutan. So, find out when he is speaking then go to the second most interesting thing. Because you won't be able to get close enough to hear Rutan anyway, and you'll have whoever else is speaking in that timeslot all to yourself.

I always get a kick out of the seaplane base. It is a busride away, which will chew in to your total time, but is interesting, with friendly people and a nice change of pace. Plus, it is shaded.

But yeah, the warbirds area, and the ultralight area are both good times as well.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Lightbulb Out posted:

Have you been before? Just bring sun screen, and try to have a good time. There is so much to see and do that it's really hard to say just one thing. I prefer just hanging out in warbirds. And definitely don't be afraid to talk to people.

Yeah... I don't do well in the sun. It's not like there's trees in the middle of an airport. Sunscreen and long sleeves will be in the cards.

I have "an actual goal" in that I want to find someone who owns, or has built a DA-2. There's supposed to be a yellow one there, last year at least two showed up.

Slo-Tek posted:

This is a few years back now, but I had awesome luck going to talks opposite Rutan. So, find out when he is speaking then go to the second most interesting thing. Because you won't be able to get close enough to hear Rutan anyway, and you'll have whoever else is speaking in that timeslot all to yourself.

I always get a kick out of the seaplane base. It is a busride away, which will chew in to your total time, but is interesting, with friendly people and a nice change of pace. Plus, it is shaded.

But yeah, the warbirds area, and the ultralight area are both good times as well.

Hmm... I wonder if Rutan is talking this year. That's a good system. And his talks will end up on youtubers soon anyway.

I'll see if I can get to the seaplane base, and I really do intend on wandering through the ultralights.

So... what's the interest in the warbirds area? Old men with fun stories? or do you just like looking at the war year planes?

Thanks to both of you.

And... https://www.barnstormers.com/classified_788900_Davis+DA-2A.html That's the one that "I am pretty sure" will still be there. He says he got there wednesday.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Nerobro posted:

So... what's the interest in the warbirds area? Old men with fun stories? or do you just like looking at the war year planes?

Mostly, the subject is good, they are going to be the biggest engines, and the most money, and anybody who has the kind of money it takes to restore a warbird has some interesting other stuff going on. I'm completely blanking on the name, but about 10 years back I ended up talking to a guy who owned (maybe still owns) the only still flying FJ-4, both about that aircraft, and the aircraft he bought on his way to owning that one, and about where he made his first few millions to be able to poo poo it away on warbirds. Was a good and interesting time with a guy who had some poo poo going on, and was excited to talk for an hour with a guy who walked up and said "wow, don't imagine there are a lot of those still flying".

Could definately have every bit as interesting a conversation with a guy who hand built something weird, and flew it to Osh from Alaska, or whichever. I just fondly remember that conversation.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 1, 2013

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I believe I saw a couple Diamond aircraft there, but don't recall seeing a yellow one. I didn't spend a ton of time looking at those airplanes, although I wanted to. I unfortunately wasn't there that long, and was backing up my father.

In regards to the warbirds area, exactly what Slo-tek said. It's amazing some of the people you'll talk to. I've gotten to know some L-39 pilots and mechanics, gotten to climb around and talk to the owner of a B-25, a very excited 65 year old woman who told my girlfriend and I all about her husbands BT13, etc. During lunch Tuesday, I asked to sit down at a table of some older folks who happened to all have worked at the Boeing plant building Apaches. Fun stories, and interesting people for the most part.

The whole place is certainly a thing.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Lightbulb Out posted:

I believe I saw a couple Diamond aircraft there, but don't recall seeing a yellow one.

Not Diamond, I think they mean the Davis DA-2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davis_DA-2

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah, that's a Caribou. They're pretty much unmistakable.

I always wondered what the deal was with the Caribou's tail - did having it sweep up like that give it any aerodynamic advantage?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

StandardVC10 posted:

In 1943, two Condors ganged up on one of those anti-sub B-24s. The ensuing battle saw both Condors shot down, though they did enough damage that the B-24 had to ditch in the sea.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Illuminati by Nature posted:

I always wondered what the deal was with the Caribou's tail - did having it sweep up like that give it any aerodynamic advantage?

It made the rear cargo door useable.

content:
Caribou brochure
Caribou II (a/k/a/ Buffalo) brochure

joat mon fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 2, 2013

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Nebakenezzer posted:

In 1943, two Condors ganged up on one of those anti-sub B-24s. The ensuing battle saw both Condors shot down, though they did enough damage that the B-24 had to ditch in the sea.

You mean a Privateer? I didn't know those were flying in '43. Yankee Air Museum has one of those. It's certainly an awkward looking aircraft.

CroatianAlzheimers fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 2, 2013

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Very cool

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Have a video of the "Jetman" formation flying with a B-17. he starts flying about a minute in. I'd give anything to be this guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUUYuvheS3M

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

For all its faults that plane looks cool as hell in that shot.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

kill me now posted:

For all its faults that plane looks cool as hell in that shot.

You what Barry? You're right.

To the guy looking for jets at NAS North Island. They are in and out once in a great while. You'll have better luck around MCAS Miramar next time you're out.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

You mean a Privateer? I didn't know those were flying in '43. Yankee Air Museum has one of those. It's certainly an awkward looking aircraft.

It's possible; though the source I got it from said they were B-24Ds. B-24s were used for long range naval patrol throughout WW2; hell, they even used 'em as transports. (Not the D that is, but, y'know.)

Random fact I learned when researching Condors:

Everybody in this thread knows the DC-3/C-47. You probably also know that the Soviets got a license to produce the C-47 which they called the Lisunov Li-2. What I didn't know (you might've) was that Imperial Japan also licensed the design. Called the Showa/Nakajima L2D, the license was bought in 1935. In World War 2, the Allies gave it the code name "Tabby." The interesting part about this is that late in the war parts of these L2Ds (like rudders and stabilizers) had to be made out of wood - which lead to a design to build a L2D/Dc-3 *entirely* out of wood. Unfortunately the war ended before it entered series production, and the Americans recycled all existing L2Ds.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Nebakenezzer posted:

Everybody in this thread knows the DC-3/C-47. You probably also know that the Soviets got a license to produce the C-47 which they called the Lisunov Li-2. What I didn't know (you might've) was that Imperial Japan also licensed the design. Called the Showa/Nakajima L2D, the license was bought in 1935. In World War 2, the Allies gave it the code name "Tabby." The interesting part about this is that late in the war parts of these L2Ds (like rudders and stabilizers) had to be made out of wood - which lead to a design to build a L2D/Dc-3 *entirely* out of wood. Unfortunately the war ended before it entered series production, and the Americans recycled all existing L2Ds.

Funny you should bring this up, I was just reading about those. Hard as hell to find information or pictures- probably because they had so little of a postwar career.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Is it launching something? Is that a bomb / missile bay door open?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Looks like its firing an AMRAAM or similar.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
One more interesting piece of Asiana 214 stuff. I don't recall seeing this posted before, but someone's put together a CG video of Asiana 214's actual approach overlaid with the proper approach they should have taken. Not sure what data it's taken from, but still an nteresting video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shF_2neUyFM

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ctishman posted:

One more interesting piece of Asiana 214 stuff. I don't recall seeing this posted before, but someone's put together a CG video of Asiana 214's actual approach overlaid with the proper approach they should have taken. Not sure what data it's taken from, but still an nteresting video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shF_2neUyFM

This out this updated version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXCwI6a1DqI

Would the left engine really fly off like that when separated from the wing? I guess it'd still be producing thrust for a few seconds and with only its own weight...

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Jealous Cow posted:

This out this updated version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXCwI6a1DqI

Would the left engine really fly off like that when separated from the wing? I guess it'd still be producing thrust for a few seconds and with only its own weight...

Yeah, when AA 191's engine and pylon seperated, it propelled itself up over the wing.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What is it that the pilot is saying? Can anyone tell from that audio? It just sounds like HELLO I lost ... ?
Just curious about that. It can't be synced though because he says he's 7 miles out at the beginning of the video, so it must be shortened.
Also who is saying to go around?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

CharlesM posted:

What is it that the pilot is saying? Can anyone tell from that audio? It just sounds like HELLO I lost ... ?
Just curious about that. It can't be synced though because he says he's 7 miles out at the beginning of the video, so it must be shortened.

Go around sounds like tower to another aircraft.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That's SFO tower shutting down the airport and vectoring everyone away.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

CharlesM posted:

Skyhawk 737 announces they are going around, SFO directs Skywest 6387 to maintain 3000ft and tells some Cessna to stay out of the SFO Bravo airspace and to contact San Carlos tower. There's some other stuff in there too but it's really not important to the story. Also that audio is definitely not synced with the video for the exact reason you mentioned.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Looks like its firing an AMRAAM or similar.

Actual firing depends on where the program stands with regards to high-G weapons separation but it does look like a bay door airflow test at the very least.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

CharlesM posted:

It's not synced up at first, the beginning audio is moved more closely to the start of the accident sequence due to the video's length.

Here's what I heard, I could be off on a few things.

AAR214:
"Tower good morning, Asiana 214 final 7 miles out 28 left."
Tower: "Asiana 214 heavy, San Fransisco tower runway 28L cleared to land."
AAR214: "Runway 28L Cleared to land Asiana 214" (super fast readback)
<impact>
N737JD: "San Fransisco Tower, Skyhawk 737....." <radio tones out from a simultaneous transmission> "...500 feett please over <some landmark I can't understand>"
Unintelligible: "...go around." overlapping the middle of the above transmission^^^
Tower: "Skywest 5389 <skip> maintain 3000" Sounds like a descent instruction but surely he's climbing Skywest on a go around.
SKW5389: "280, 3000, Skywest 5389"
AAR214: "Tower....asiana 214" <tone>
Tower: "Asian 214 heavy emergency vehicles are responding."
AAR214: "Asiana 214."
Tower: "Emergency <skip> responding"
AAR213: "Ok... uh... <unintelligble> open the stairs"
Tower: "Cessna 737JD, San Fransisco Tower, remain clear of the class bravo airspace, contact San Carlos tower."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Was listening to Portland Approach last night on my drive home and heard the controller call traffic for a 'D17'. At first everyone (including me) thought he said "B-17" and some confusion ensued, but it turned out to be a Beech Staggerwing - found a pic of the plane:

How come all my traffic pointouts are always 172s :(