Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neurobasalmedium
Sep 12, 2012
Here's some maps that came up in a class of mine a while back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Just be a shakta and throw the whole drat caste thing out the window while maintaining that you're a member of the third largest Hindu sect!

Hinduism has just about enough of an organized pantheon structure that you can squint and squash in all the smaller variations and unusual quirks pretty easily. Also, the overwhelming majority of Hindus are Vaishnavite-ish or Shaivite-ish.

Admittedly, I haven't read Why I Am Not A Hindu but this sounds like you're pushing together people that we (I imagine you're a westerner? sorry if you aren't) as outsiders see as one group when they may not want to be considered part of that group.

Relating back to maps, it'd be interesting to see how different people of India (including Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, etc, "Cultural India?") see other ethnic groups and how they would define them.

Not really related but it reminds me of a Dave Chapelle skit where he talks about DC in the 70s and says something like "and white people were looking from Virginia with binoculars into DC like drat, that's crazy."

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

ShinyBirdTeeth
Nov 7, 2011

sparkle sparkle sparkle

Is that Atlantropa, the love child of engineering and super-villainy?

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

MrMenshevik posted:

Is that Atlantropa, the love child of engineering and super-villainy?

Hey now, surely it is better to create lebensraum ex nihilo than to conquer it!

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

platedlizard posted:

Well that's what my Chinese teacher told me, I figured she's from China, she would know.
In a narrow technical sense I suppose she might be right, but have you ever met anyone who identified as a Confucist who didn't also worship ancestors, believe in an afterlife, or perform tea ceremony when getting married? If you described the cosmology, prayer, and sacrificial rites to an someone who hadn't heard of it before I think they would definitely say it's a religion.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

neurobasalmedium posted:

Why, of all the places, is Evansville Indiana correct on this map?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Basing ecology of two continents on Lake Chad sounds like a pretty great idea.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Killer robot posted:

This is one of the most perfect summations of how "The South" for so many is a magic phrase that lets them suspend their normally stated principles and say that, no, poverty really is a moral failing.

I don't know, it could be a map about why you should support deposing the corrupt governments of the South.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Surely there will be no problem in some of the most largest and important port cities in the whole world suddenly becoming landlocked!

AlexG
Jul 15, 2004
If you can't solve a problem with gaffer tape, it's probably insoluble anyway.

steinrokkan posted:

Basing ecology of two continents on Lake Chad sounds like a pretty great idea.

Part of the plan is that it's no longer Lake Chad so much as it is replacing the entirety of Chad with a giant freshly-dug lake.

And then another one for/instead of the Congo basin.

So still nuts, just differently nuts.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

AlexG posted:

Part of the plan is that it's no longer Lake Chad so much as it is replacing the entirety of Chad with a giant freshly-dug lake.

And then another one for/instead of the Congo basin.

So still nuts, just differently nuts.

At least link a map if you're going to make those claims:

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

HighClassSwankyTime posted:

The Vikings even had a name for the natives of Newfoundland, namely "Skraelings". The Vinland sagas, as the stories of Norse expeditions to North America are called, took place in the year ~1000 but written records date back to the 13th century. So it's difficult to say if disease travelled along with the vikings and if it made casulties in Newfoundland. Even in the 11th century Newfoundland was an isolated place so if disease spread, it couldn't have gone far. Fact is the vikings came to North America 492 years before Columbus but their attempts at colonization (and hostile contact with natives) were insignificant compared with the Spanish in Mexico.

Despite the lack of iron weapons, the Skraelings were able to kick the vikings out of Newfoundland. Contact between Scandinavians and the Skraelings may have continued for years, but it's difficult to tell for how long, where, and between who because there are few sources written after the Vinland Sagas that speak of Norse expeditions to Markland (Labrador), Helluland (Baffin Land) and Vinland (unknown).

The Skálholt Map.

Skraeling was also their name for the Inuit settlers of Greenland, who they didn't actually encounter until about two centuries after the Norse Greenland colony was founded. Diamond's Collapse actually had an interesting comparison between the ultimately failed European colony in Greenland and the American one that succeeded (and, for several centuries, overlapped with) it.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

DarkCrawler posted:

Surely there will be no problem in some of the most largest and important port cities in the whole world suddenly becoming landlocked!

Not to mention the lack of the Suez short-cut would force ships to go around the long way again.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Riso posted:

Not to mention the lack of the Suez short-cut would force ships to go around the long way again.

I think that if you're investing enough money to dam the Mediterranean then you probably also have a few bucks to fix the Suez Canal too.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Dr. Tough posted:

I think that if you're investing enough money to dam the Mediterranean then you probably also have a few bucks to fix the Suez Canal too.

Damming up Gibraltar makes it a lot harder to get ships into the Mediterranean, though, and lowering the water level some 330 feet would probably render existing Mediterranean port infrastructure pretty useless. But hey, it might solve Venice's sinking problem! :downs:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

For an extra bonus, combine it with draining the North Sea:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LP97S posted:

I don't know, it could be a map about why you should support deposing the corrupt governments of the South.

Except that institutional discrimination of black people is a national problem and there are Northern / non-southern states that have done just as terrible things in the last few years (Rodney King, Stop & Frisk, Michigan's emergency manager system, etc).

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

computer parts posted:

Except that institutional discrimination of black people is a national problem and there are Northern / non-southern states that have done just as terrible things in the last few years (Rodney King, Stop & Frisk, Michigan's emergency manager system, etc).

Well I already made a joke about wiping the US out earlier in the thread, sorry for trying to make a light heated joke about how loving awful this goddamned country is, person who freaked out over the word 'parliament'.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Gen. Ripper posted:

Bugs Bunny over Eastern Libya? :confused:

Gadaffy.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LP97S posted:

Well I already made a joke about wiping the US out earlier in the thread, sorry for trying to make a light heated joke about how loving awful this goddamned country is, person who freaked out over the word 'parliament'.

What's the joke? I agree that deposing governments of southern states are good, just that focusing on then as the specific issue is naive at best and ignorant of systemic issues at worst.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Killer robot posted:

For an extra bonus, combine it with draining the North Sea:

...so, just floating the idea of something like this would pretty much be taken as a casus belli for a first nuclear strike in Britain, right?

neurobasalmedium
Sep 12, 2012

Peanut President posted:

Why, of all the places, is Evansville Indiana correct on this map?

On the Ohio River and a big industrial city at the time this map was made would be my guess

neurobasalmedium fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 1, 2013

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

A Chinese map of the world, dated from around 1532. On the western edge of the map you can see Daqin (大秦國), the ancient Chinese name for the Roman empire. While China never made contact with Rome directly, they knew of it from the tales traders on the Silk Road brought. They regarded it as sort of the China of the west, a large, civilised empire that lay on the other side of the world.

Gan Ying, an envoy sent to "Daqin" (though he probably never made it farther than Persia) gave this rather idealistic view of Roman government, as well as the goods of the far west:

quote:

Their kings are not permanent. They select and appoint the most worthy man. If there are unexpected calamities in the kingdom, such as frequent extraordinary winds or rains, he is unceremoniously rejected and replaced. The one who has been dismissed quietly accepts his demotion, and is not angry. The people of this country are all tall and honest. They resemble the people of the Middle Kingdom and that is why this kingdom is called Da Qin.

This country produces plenty of gold [and] silver, [and of] rare and precious [things] they have luminous jade, 'bright moon pearls,' Haiji rhinoceroses, coral, yellow amber, opaque glass, whitish chalcedony, red cinnabar, green gemstones, gold-thread embroideries, woven gold-threaded net, delicate polychrome silks painted with gold, and asbestos cloth.
They also have a fine cloth which some people say is made from the down of 'water sheep' [= sea silk], but which is made, in fact, from the cocoons of wild silkworms (= wild silk). They blend all sorts of fragrances, and by boiling the juice, make a compound perfume. [They have] all the precious and rare things that come from the various foreign kingdoms. They make gold and silver coins. Ten silver coins are worth one gold coin. They trade with Anxi [Parthia] and Tianzhu [North-western India] by sea. The profit margin is ten to one. . . . The king of this country always wanted to send envoys to the Han, but Anxi [Parthia], wishing to control the trade in multi-coloured Chinese silks, blocked the route to prevent [the Romans] getting through [to China].

As a bonus, this it what the Chinese thought the people of "Daqin" looked like:

I really find it interesting to see what China thought of the West in the time before the Age of Discovery and trade routes being established. I mean, in the West you always hear what the West thought of China, for obvious reasons, but you never really hear the opposite. Of course, I can't read Chinese, so unless there are some translated sources there's no way I'd know anyway.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I wish billowing silk robes and bowls of coral were still in fashion.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DarkCrawler posted:

...so, just floating the idea of something like this would pretty much be taken as a casus belli for a first nuclear strike in Britain, right?
I doubt anyone would object to a British nuclear first strike, considering it would be on England in this case. ;)

(The illustration is really Anglo-centric, and I would not be surprised if the people behind this idea figured the English should get most that.)

Bishop Rodan posted:

I really find it interesting to see what China thought of the West in the time before the Age of Discovery and trade routes being established. I mean, in the West you always hear what the West thought of China, for obvious reasons, but you never really hear the opposite. Of course, I can't read Chinese, so unless there are some translated sources there's no way I'd know anyway.
The funny thing is, these ideas were basically mirrored by some people in the West some centuries later. The obvious explanation of course being that they were basically made up as a safe way to criticize the system by telling tales of a magical wonderland where everything was somehow exactly what the author wanted. Something we of course still see today, despite there being a wealth of information around to disabuse people of their strange notions.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Bishop Rodan posted:

As a bonus, this it what the Chinese thought the people of "Daqin" looked like:

You know, that's probably not far off the map. That's fairly plausibly what a high-status priest/Bishop in the Christian (at least Catholic, I assume also Orthodox) church would have looked like. Minus the bowl of coral.

rzeszowianin 44
Feb 21, 2006

neurobasalmedium posted:

The Economist published a Chinese version of this in 2009.

PittTheElder posted:

You know, that's probably not far off the map. That's fairly plausibly what a high-status priest/Bishop in the Christian (at least Catholic, I assume also Orthodox) church would have looked like. Minus the bowl of coral.

If the sketch is also from 1532 AD, it's actually fairly accurate. Painting of nobleman (1652-1710 AD) (source):

rzeszowianin 44 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 2, 2013

John Nance Garner
Aug 16, 2012

Bring your bourbon and cigars to the "Bureau of Education".
First ballot at the 1920 Republican Nominating Convention:

And the 10th ballot, after shifts, which officially nominated one Warren Gamaliel Harding, for President:

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

John Nance Garner posted:

And the 10th ballot, after shifts, which officially nominated one Warren Gamaliel Harding, for President:

Somebody should do a 1924 DNC version of this.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Wyoming was one of the few places onto Harding from the start. Was the Teapot Dome scandal already brewing at this time or was it a way of paying back his friends there.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Now I know the guy was a cold hearted imperialist, but at the smae time I can't help but think this country would be better if Wood had won.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Bishop Rodan posted:

While China never made contact with Rome directly, they knew of it from the tales traders on the Silk Road brought.

This actually isn't true. As far as we know no Chinese ever got to the Roman Empire, but the first Roman embassy arrived in the Chinese court in 166 AD, and the two empires maintained regular contact from then on. Several more embassies were sent from Rome during the classical period, and they maintained relations throughout the Middle Ages as well. Roman merchants were also around, though they obviously didn't make it into the Chinese imperial records the way the diplomatic missions did.

Unfortunately there are no Roman records and the Chinese records haven't been translated, and I don't read Classical Chinese, so I've never seen full texts. Summaries only.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Yeah direct contact between the Chinese and the Romans was definitely a thing. I have noticed in the Ask/Tell thread about Roman history that for some reason, a lot of people who post on the Something Awful Forums have a really really special and particular interest in learning about China-Ancient Rome contacts. I've wondered why that is for months now and I've come up completely empty as to a reason.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

cheerfullydrab posted:

Yeah direct contact between the Chinese and the Romans was definitely a thing. I have noticed in the Ask/Tell thread about Roman history that for some reason, a lot of people who post on the Something Awful Forums have a really really special and particular interest in learning about China-Ancient Rome contacts. I've wondered why that is for months now and I've come up completely empty as to a reason.

Interest on whether the two dominant world powers of the age had contact? I wonder why!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

GreenCard78 posted:

Admittedly, I haven't read Why I Am Not A Hindu but this sounds like you're pushing together people that we (I imagine you're a westerner? sorry if you aren't) as outsiders see as one group when they may not want to be considered part of that group.

I'm vastly oversimplifying, but it's not much more ridiculous than calling some of the weirder (and mostly gone, these days) Christian-local syncretic faiths Christianity. Hinduism swallowed local deities whole in a manner that I can probably best compare to Roman religious practice - Kali-worship is the subset I'm most familiar with, and is one of the more obvious "ehh gently caress it, let's staple this major regional goddess into the Vedic pantheon and hope nobody notices" - and quite a lot of adherents of what are basically local faiths tack Vishnu (or syncretic versions thereof; I know there's at least one major one in Kerala) on in a vaguely topward location.

There's definitely an argument that "Hinduism" as a classification is imposed as gently caress and carries all sorts of social implications that won't really hold in the many, many places that retained some or a lot of their older traditions, but it's not a totally useless shorthand. Mostly.

Minor caveat: I know a reasonable shitload about modern-ish Bengali Hinduism, broad strokes of the religious history of the Indian subcontinent in general and Kerala (and Sri Lanka) in particular, virtually fuckall about nearby non-Indian locales that aren't Nepal, and precisely fuckall about the evolution of Hindu/Vedic populations in points farther.

I am also using the term Hinduism to refer, tautologically, to all of the various faiths that got adapted into the general framework that today likes to think it's as simple as my first post might have made it sound. I would actually include Nepal here-ish, since their very interesting several traditions have pretty similar roots to Bengali goddess-worship.

Also, yes, there are (quite a lot of) more 'standard' Hindus in Bengal, but I'm skipping over them because they're boring and I'm always much more interested in, well, the same syncretic regional faiths the book in question discusses.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Grand Fromage posted:

Unfortunately there are no Roman records and the Chinese records haven't been translated, and I don't read Classical Chinese, so I've never seen full texts. Summaries only.

Why has that not been translated that is like the first thing I would translate. How extensive are the texts? I bet there are some goons that could help.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The romans tried to steal the secret of silk but it took them a really long time to realize that it was worms.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Koramei posted:

Why has that not been translated that is like the first thing I would translate. How extensive are the texts? I bet there are some goons that could help.

Imagine a modern English speaker trying to read Shakespeare. Now imagine that it's written in an archaic form of a logographic writing system where half the characters look nothing like the modern forms and none of his made up words actually stuck around until modern times, and it's all written on bamboo and rice paper.

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Koramei posted:

You'll be waiting a long time. Even the Records of the Grand Historian, one of the most comprehensive early histories of China by Sima Qian, hasn't been translated fully into English. The undertaking is really too massive for any one scholar to perform, even with a team of grad student slaves. You'd need an organized effort by a big institution with lots of money behind it, and no other goals but translating Chinese sources into English ones.