Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'd imagine a lot of people have heard of it, but The Adventures of Duane and Brando have done some of/are doing more of an Earthbound album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPiT5knJgdc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1B22H4Lx8w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOdvEqNeUuo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZgkokDSuVE

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Same here. It was indeed a fine game and from the same place, but it simply couldn't live up to the heart of EB. It does sport an impressive level of pathos and emotional depth, but it simply falls short of the legend in all respects. That said, I was still glad to play it with its excellent non-profit translation.

I like Mother 3 much more then Earthbound, but I suppose it has something to do with when I played it. I never played a physical copy of EB, too.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Is there any other media out there that has a similar look/feel to Earthbound? I've heard that MSPA can be Earthbound-like but gently caress that. Probably the closest thing I can think of is that is currently running is the cartoon Gravity Falls, which is about two 12 year-old twins who spend the summer at a roadside attraction where supernatural stuff is always happening.

Anodyne.

It's Earthbound's hateful sibling. :v:

Still playing those nintendos, yon?

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I think the games I have played that have come closest to the feel (or any part of the fell of) Earthbound would be Contact for the DS and Secret of Evermore for SNES. Perhaps also Robotrek for SNES on a more lighthearted level.

Seriously needs to be more modern day RPGs.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
I remember Contact. Everyone thought it was Nintendo teasing Mother 3 because the first shot we saw was of the white-haired scientist... which everyone naturally jumped to the conclusion of Dr. Andonuts.

What we got was a mediocre action RPG with some charm.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
It certainly was charming, but "mediocre" might actually be a compliment to its quality. I did not expect another EB... but, well, I expected playable.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mother 3 is a very good game in its own right. The storyline is better than Earthbound's simple "four kids save the world" plot, and it explores some deep themes. In my opinion, it also adds a big dimension to Pokey/Porky- he's more than just an rear end in a top hat kid now. In the various peeks into his mind, we can see that he sees Ness as the only person he ever considered his friend, even when he's built an entire city dedicated to him and has brainwashed an entire army to love him. I also like the combo system even though it's very difficult to master. And I'm not gonna lie, the final battle made me cry the first time I finished it. Don't judge, yall.

What makes it not as good as Earthbound is that it's linear and shorter than Earthbound. Also, the music outside of the battle themes, while very good, is very same-y. I guess why I don't go back to play Mother 3 as often as I do Earthbound is the difference in tone- Earthbound is very lighthearted and filled with wonder, while Mother 3 is very heavy.

Aphtonites
Dec 25, 2012

Sure, Jailbot was broken, but
weren't we all at some point? :(
Do any one of you remember the Ultimate Chimera Hunt gamemode for Garry's Mod? I made a map based on Threed for it a while ago:

I made some pretty neat custom models for it, too:

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Aphtonites posted:

Do any one of you remember the Ultimate Chimera Hunt gamemode for Garry's Mod? I made a map based on Threed for it a while ago:

I made some pretty neat custom models for it, too:

This is amazing and I love you.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Y-Hat posted:

And I'm not gonna lie, the final battle made me cry the first time I finished it. Don't judge, yall.

:cry::respek::cry:

I love Mother 3. It's no EarthBound, but it's still a fantastic game.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I have a hard time replaying Mother 3 because I hate the chapter with Duster and the haunted castle so much. Maybe it's just me? I hate the dungeon and the entire chapter revolves around it and has you go in there like three/four times.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kongming posted:

I have a hard time replaying Mother 3 because I hate the chapter with Duster and the haunted castle so much. Maybe it's just me? I hate the dungeon and the entire chapter revolves around it and has you go in there like three/four times.

I dislike the Salsa chapter more. But yeah, all chapters before 5 are kinda "bleh" since they're basically all prologue.

Y-Hat posted:

Mother 3 is a very good game in its own right. The storyline is better than Earthbound's simple "four kids save the world" plot, and it explores some deep themes. In my opinion, it also adds a big dimension to Pokey/Porky- he's more than just an rear end in a top hat kid now. In the various peeks into his mind, we can see that he sees Ness as the only person he ever considered his friend, even when he's built an entire city dedicated to him and has brainwashed an entire army to love him. I also like the combo system even though it's very difficult to master. And I'm not gonna lie, the final battle made me cry the first time I finished it. Don't judge, yall.

What makes it not as good as Earthbound is that it's linear and shorter than Earthbound. Also, the music outside of the battle themes, while very good, is very same-y. I guess why I don't go back to play Mother 3 as often as I do Earthbound is the difference in tone- Earthbound is very lighthearted and filled with wonder, while Mother 3 is very heavy.

I don't really think Mother 3 is all that much shorter. And I find Mother 3 to be a much better game. It may not be as whimsical, but it has a much better combat system.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Genocyber posted:

I dislike the Salsa chapter more. But yeah, all chapters before 5 are kinda "bleh" since they're basically all prologue.

I don't really think Mother 3 is all that much shorter. And I find Mother 3 to be a much better game. It may not be as whimsical, but it has a much better combat system.

Mother 3's combat system is goddamn genius. What really made it click for me was realizing that some later fights and bosses would use music from earlier in the game but with slightly different rhythms and with added syncopation just to trip up your combos.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Genocyber posted:

Having just played them in sequence, it's a lot shorter.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Mother 3 is about 30 hours long. I don't feel like the other games in the series are longer then that. Then again they don't keep track of playtime like Mother 3 does. :argh:

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Last year I did Earthbound in one day, I would say about 18 hours total, but I've played it nearly every year since its release, and I was pushing to get it done quickly.
My second run of Mother 3 took me around 20 hours, and that was making sure to talk to everyone at every opportunity, but I didn't try to get rare items or fill the encyclopedia.

They're close in length in terms of things you have to do, but Mother 3 is a much tighter experience. Earthbound allows you to wander and explore a lot more. If you didn't know where to go or wanted to explore and get the full experience, Earthbound will definitely take longer.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Mill Village posted:

Mother 3 is about 30 hours long. I don't feel like the other games in the series are longer then that. Then again they don't keep track of playtime like Mother 3 does. :argh:

Earthbound is about 30 hours long, and definitely feels longer just because of the pacing and how loving slowly you walk. But until the last 2-3 sanctuaries, dungeons are pretty much 2-3 rooms long (if even that) and like ten of those hours are spent talking to people and doing stuff to advance the plot.

Mother 3 lasts around 20 hours, which is shorter, but it's also (supposed to be) a handheld game. The pacing is also a lot faster and the action pretty much never lets up, which makes it fly by a lot quicker.

I love the idea of the combo system but requiring the timing to be frame-by-frame perfect is ridiculous. It feels amazing when you finally get those big combos because it's so difficult to pull off, but the damage isn't enough to warrant it being that loving picky about your button presses.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Genocyber posted:

I dislike the Salsa chapter more.

It might not be a fun chapter to play, but by god is Salsa's chapter effective at making you absolutely loathe that motherfucker Fassad.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Mill Village posted:

I beat Mother 3 for the first time at 18:30, and that's with a lot of grinding. EB it's impossible to say since it doesn't have a timer but I think 30hrs is pushing it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Y-Hat posted:

And I'm not gonna lie, the final battle made me cry the first time I finished it. Don't judge, yall.

I bawled like a big stupid baby through almost that entire fight, pretty much as soon as the first mid-combat flashback wrapped up. It dredged up a lot of pretty brutal memories of loss from my childhood.

You did good, Mother 3 :unsmith:

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

I actually thought most of the "mom" stuff after the first chapter was overdone and melodramatic.

Like, I appreciate the ripple-effect she had on the entire game, and watching those ripples (that is, seeing the changes in everyone around her) is really interesting. But during the parts that touch on her directly (both the end boss flashbacks as well as the flower field) I was just begging the game to get on with it already.

In my opinion, the effects of mom in chapter 1, 2, and on, are vastly more interesting than in chapter 8.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I think Mother 3 is hurt by not getting to the "modern era" sooner. That's basically what I liked about Earthbound the most, and having to slog through more traditional RPG stuff to get to it bored me.

Granted, I've come to realize that most of my complaints about M3 are unreasonable. I basically wanted M3 to follow the Call of Duty sequel model: give me the exact same game, but just slightly different enough to feel like I'm playing a new game.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I thought Mother 3 took itself way too seriously, tried way too hard, and wasn't nearly as memorable. It was fun to play through though.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I thought Mother 3 took itself way too seriously, tried way too hard, and wasn't nearly as memorable. It was fun to play through though.

Did you play it in Japanese? or did you play it by the fan translation? As fan translations go that one was maybe the best in history, but at the end of the day they played it safe and literally translated most things more or less instead of earthbound which wasn't just translated, but localized.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I'm just glad that we got in on the GBA. It sucked being an RPG-loving kid stuck with an N64 with no RPGs, but in retrospect the last thing Earthbound needs is blurry low-poly 3d graphics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pcd9VnnXSQ

The attempt at mimicking Earthbound's psychedelic battle backgrounds at 0:30 :barf:

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Earthbound is about 30 hours long, and definitely feels longer just because of the pacing and how loving slowly you walk. But until the last 2-3 sanctuaries, dungeons are pretty much 2-3 rooms long (if even that) and like ten of those hours are spent talking to people and doing stuff to advance the plot.
Earthbound is really poorly designed as an RPG. Horrible dungeon design, the ability to accidentally skip entire boss battles, the item management system, the clumsiness of the buying and selling at shops...

It makes up for it in charm, uniqueness, and personality.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Speaking of dungeon design, I would like to nominate the Milky Well as the most annoying sanctuary dungeon. It's super short, but good luck getting to the boss without mushrooms on everyone's head, which can't be removed with traditional healing PSI.

Magnet Hill can be a slog, too, because of all the slow-walking.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I'm just glad that we got in on the GBA. It sucked being an RPG-loving kid stuck with an N64 with no RPGs, but in retrospect the last thing Earthbound needs is blurry low-poly 3d graphics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pcd9VnnXSQ

The attempt at mimicking Earthbound's psychedelic battle backgrounds at 0:30 :barf:

The one thing I loved most about Mother 3 was how it wasn't a different game at all from the cancelled one, I didn't even know that until I played it. I thought they actually scrapped the whole thing and started over. :allears:

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
EarthBound has officially beaten out Donkey Kong as the #1 top seller on the Wii U's Recent Best Sellers and #10 of all time.

Keeping in mind Donkey Kong is only 30 cents right now.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Every friend I have except two who own a Wii U now own Earthbound.

I have been very gruff with the two that choose not to buy it.

:colbert:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Every friend I have except two who own a Wii U now own Earthbound.

I have been very gruff with the two that choose not to buy it.

Is it bad that I still own the SNES cart, and my SNES is still hooked up, and that's why I haven't bought the WiiU version?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Leofish posted:

Is it bad that I still own the SNES cart, and my SNES is still hooked up, and that's why I haven't bought the WiiU version?

If you love the game, buy it again. Or else.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Leofish posted:

I own the original cart and an SNES and bought it on the Wii U on my lunch break the day of it's digital release because it needed to be on my system by the time I got home.

Buy that poo poo already.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Yay for sales being good! That's always quite the positive reinforcement for Nintendo. :)

For Mother 3, I do like the gradual almost "loss of innocence" vibe that happens as Fassad brings modernity to Tazmily. Just seeing things like the store being essentially a co-op to things costing money, along with everybody becoming more focused on material goods instead of relationships, was really :smith: and got me pretty hard.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chieves posted:

Just seeing things like the store being essentially a co-op to things costing money, along with everybody becoming more focused on material goods instead of relationships, was really :smith: and got me pretty hard.

:frogon:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Chieves posted:

For Mother 3, I do like the gradual almost "loss of innocence" vibe that happens as Fassad brings modernity to Tazmily. Just seeing things like the store being essentially a co-op to things costing money, along with everybody becoming more focused on material goods instead of relationships, was really :smith: and got me pretty hard.

Yeah it was a great story, just not necessarily what I wanted from the "sequel" to Earthbound.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Leofish posted:

EarthBound is in my SNES right now, but I still bought it on Wii U. (I also imported Mother 1+2 on GBA and almost imported a Mother 2 cart even though I don't have a Super Famicom to play it on, so maybe I'm a crazy person.)

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

DarkHamsterlord posted:

(almost imported a Mother 2 cart even though I don't have a Super Famicom to play it on, so maybe I'm a crazy person.)

A friend of mine brought me a SFC Mother 2 boxed copy back from Japan and it is awesome.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Leofish posted:

Yes.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
FWIW my roommate is playing through EB on the super nintendo and I prefer it on the Wii U because the graphics were sharper v:shobon:v

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

robodex posted:

FWIW my roommate is playing through EB on the super nintendo and I prefer it on the Wii U because the graphics were sharper v:shobon:v

Yeah, unless you've got your SNES hooked up to a CRT, EarthBound (or any game) is going to look like rear end. And even if you are using a CRT, it probably still looks sharper on the Wii U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Country_Blumpkin
Aug 6, 2011

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Is there any other media out there that has a similar look/feel to Earthbound? I've heard that MSPA can be Earthbound-like but gently caress that. Probably the closest thing I can think of is that is currently running is the cartoon Gravity Falls, which is about two 12 year-old twins who spend the summer at a roadside attraction where supernatural stuff is always happening.

In terms of sheer light-hearted, trippy goofiness with some underlying, darker themes, I've always thought Adventure Time was pretty similar to EB.

Country_Blumpkin fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 1, 2013

• Locked thread