Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Buy an unlock off eBay?

The point is I have a feeling it can't be unlocked unless it's been activated for 90 days, I think. It sounds like it won't work... or are they just saying that? That's the question I guess...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

corkskroo posted:

The point is I have a feeling it can't be unlocked unless it's been activated for 90 days, I think. It sounds like it won't work... or are they just saying that? That's the question I guess...

They are saying they won'y give you an unlock.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

They are saying they won'y give you an unlock.

Right. I'm sorry, maybe I'm thick but are they saying THEY won't GIVE me an unlock or that an unlock CANNOT work? Ie, if the ebay people give me one will it work? Or is the whole ebay thing based on someone basically going and doing the exact same thing that I just tried to do?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

corkskroo posted:

Right. I'm sorry, maybe I'm thick but are they saying THEY won't GIVE me an unlock or that an unlock CANNOT work? Ie, if the ebay people give me one will it work? Or is the whole ebay thing based on someone basically going and doing the exact same thing that I just tried to do?

If you get a code off eBay it should unlock it. Never a guarantee, but eBay has purchase protection so I'd say it's a pretty safe way to go.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Does buying an ebay unlock code for an AT&T phone unlock it for use with other domestic carriers like T-mobile, or is that strictly for international travel unlocking?

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

Turnquiet posted:

Does buying an ebay unlock code for an AT&T phone unlock it for use with other domestic carriers like T-mobile, or is that strictly for international travel unlocking?

It unlocks it for whatever service its able to be used on. You need to check that your phone has the right frequency band's for whatever service you are using.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Oh lookee my old dumb phone has a full sized sim card that doesn't fit into the new smart phone so I can't use the unlock code I bought on ebay yet. I am a phone idiot.

Bolt
Dec 14, 2004
k

corkskroo posted:

Oh lookee my old dumb phone has a full sized sim card that doesn't fit into the new smart phone so I can't use the unlock code I bought on ebay yet. I am a phone idiot.

You can cut the sim card to micro size yourself.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Ugh never mind, even the guy off ebay couldn't get an unlock code so he gave me a refund. I guess it really is that the phone can't be unlocked without having been activated for 90 days. Oh well, I guess I'll switch to AT&T.

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath
I went to an AT&T Store a few days ago and was disappointed to discover I couldn't stack discounts on top of each other. So I'm just taking the bigger discount instead.

On the bright side, the Stores do a great job organizing the phones on display for the most part. I got to try out the Lumia 1020, which is actually very nice. And all the phones were working except for the Blackberry Z10, which seemed to be dying of poor battery and a likely broken USB cable.

SirSigma fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 28, 2013

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SirSigma posted:

And all the phones were working except for the Blackberry Z10, which seemed to be dying of poor sales and no one wanting it.

Fixed.

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

So a question regarding upgrades and Next, the fine print says you are not eligible for next until you are eligible for a standard upgrade, and standard upgrades are no longer being offered until 24 months, correct? I ask because the only reason I'm still with ATT is because I've received upgrades at 18 months, my last one being in august of last year, and if I have to wait until my contract expires to be eligible for any substantial upgrade (thus no etf) I'll be cancelling for sure.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yoda posted:

So a question regarding upgrades and Next, the fine print says you are not eligible for next until you are eligible for a standard upgrade, and standard upgrades are no longer being offered until 24 months, correct? I ask because the only reason I'm still with ATT is because I've received upgrades at 18 months, my last one being in august of last year, and if I have to wait until my contract expires to be eligible for any substantial upgrade (thus no etf) I'll be cancelling for sure.

Looks like you will be cancelling, if you upgraded a year ago you will have to wait the full 24 months.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
I'm researching Uverse for my Mom. Does the service come in through the phone wire? The AT&T store said our area is already wired for fiber. Does the AT&T guy just plug it into a phone cord, make sure it works with a device, then leave?

Do they ever have any deals to decrease the $200 installation fee?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Siroc posted:

I'm researching Uverse for my Mom. Does the service come in through the phone wire? The AT&T store said our area is already wired for fiber. Does the AT&T guy just plug it into a phone cord, make sure it works with a device, then leave?

They occasionally have installation fee deals. But I'll let someone in a wired market answer.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
AT&T has charged me $90 for 4.5MB (seriously) of data roaming in the UK. This is most odd as data roaming is disabled on my phone and I took my SIM out as soon as I landed.

Is there any way to have this erased if I ask nicely? Why is it even possible for this to happen without opting in?

Double odd as the other two people on this account also had their phones with them and I don't think either of them even took their SIMs out, but there are no roaming charges on their lines.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kaluza-Klein posted:

AT&T has charged me $90 for 4.5MB (seriously) of data roaming in the UK. This is most odd as data roaming is disabled on my phone and I took my SIM out as soon as I landed.

Is there any way to have this erased if I ask nicely? Why is it even possible for this to happen without opting in?

Double odd as the other two people on this account also had their phones with them and I don't think either of them even took their SIMs out, but there are no roaming charges on their lines.

AT&T is having issues with international for some reason. No idea why, and it isn't official, I have just noticed issues.

That being said, ATT is honestly very good at fixing this issue. Calling in and asking should do it, stopping by s corporate store should as well (although they would have to call in anyway, so calling customer care is the better option).

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Siroc posted:

I've PMed you.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Duckman2008 posted:

AT&T is having issues with international for some reason. No idea why, and it isn't official, I have just noticed issues.

That being said, ATT is honestly very good at fixing this issue. Calling in and asking should do it, stopping by s corporate store should as well (although they would have to call in anyway, so calling customer care is the better option).

I had an oddly quick and friendly call and the charges are gone. I am a bit shocked, but happy.

The poor guy insisted it was a mistake that can happen when you are near a border and connect to a tower in another country. I tried to explain I was definitely in the UK and not just inside some theoretical US border with the UK, but oh well. :p

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I had an oddly quick and friendly call and the charges are gone. I am a bit shocked, but happy.

The poor guy insisted it was a mistake that can happen when you are near a border and connect to a tower in another country. I tried to explain I was definitely in the UK and not just inside some theoretical US border with the UK, but oh well. :p

He is reading a script as most people in your situation are complaining about Canada roaming. But I'm glad he took care of it.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I tried to explain I was definitely in the UK and not just inside some theoretical US border with the UK, but oh well. :p

The Virgin Islands called, just to remind you they aren't theoretical and actually exist at $2.50/min :smugbert:

But seriously, glad you got it resolved painlessly!

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

SeaborneClink posted:

The Virgin Islands called, just to remind you they aren't theoretical and actually exist at $2.50/min :smugbert:

But seriously, glad you got it resolved painlessly!

Telecomically served.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

A few questions.

My wife and I are on a family plan with iPhones and have the grandfathered unlimited plan.

I'm looking at Moving to the galaxy, she's going to stay with iPhone. Would we lose out unlimited data if we did this?

Second-do we need unlimited data? We don't go out much, so most evenings were at home on wifi anyways. At work, I just use the awful app, email, Facebook, and browser.

My wife mainly uses pandora while driving, and not sure how much that effects the data.

With that info-do we really need unlimited? I guess I should look at our account online and see if there's a way to see how much data we use each month?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

nwin posted:

I'm looking at Moving to the galaxy, she's going to stay with iPhone. Would we lose out unlimited data if we did this?
No, not at this point in time.

nwin posted:

Second-do we need unlimited data? We don't go out much, so most evenings were at home on wifi anyways. At work, I just use the awful app, email, Facebook, and browser.
If you can answer yes to any of the following questions, then the answer that follows is "Probably, yes."
  1. Do you watch more than one Netflix movie a month on your phone?
  2. Do you stream more than 3 hours of Pandora/Slacker/Last.fm/etc per day on your phone?
  3. Do you use your phone as a primary internet source for your House/tablet/laptop?
  4. Can you fastball a phone right into your mouth while palming a basketball?
  5. Do you regularly use a video chat program (Skype/Google+/etc)?
  6. Do you currently, or have you ever owned a pair of jorts or a cardboard cutout of a phone you wish to purchase?

nwin posted:

My wife mainly uses pandora while driving, and not sure how much that effects the data.
Here's some anecdotal evidence, yay!

I listen to Pandora ~2hr/day 5-6 days a week while working out at the gym, because I'm a lazy scrub that doesn't want to download music, upload to my Play Music account and pin it locally and/or sync my music library to my phone. Why? Because I don't know I'm really lazy. I'm also getting super tired of the same 25 songs on Pandora while working out.

nwin posted:

With that info-do we really need unlimited? I guess I should look at our account online and see if there's a way to see how much data we use each month?
You're honestly really the only person that can 100% answer this question for yourself. I would:

A) Suggest you download the myAT&T App on your phone and check your data usage for the last month. It will give you pretty thermometer bars, like this!

B) If you want a more complete picture comb through your last few months of bills (they're online.) They're pretty boring..

I'll leave you with some advice that I from time to time bestow on customers that understand the following logic.

If you're asking "Do I need unlimited data?" The answer 9/10 times is "No."
Sure it's nice to have, but if switching to another plan would save you money, do that. $n*24mo can add up.

And yes, there is a discrepancy between Android reported usage and AT&T reported usage because I had to factory reset my phone around Jul 7th-10th, which is why you should always go by the online/myAT&T reported usage, even if they've been caught inflating reported data usage before :ssh: :argh:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I posted in the Recommend me a phone/plan thread but my question is better suited to this thread:

If I sign a family plan, do I have to immediately use the subsidy for a phone purchase? I'm signing a new contract in August but the new iPhone won't be out until September. If that subsidy can be put off for a month that'd solve my problem since I already have an iPhone 4 that can be used in the interim.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

I posted in the Recommend me a phone/plan thread but my question is better suited to this thread:

If I sign a family plan, do I have to immediately use the subsidy for a phone purchase? I'm signing a new contract in August but the new iPhone won't be out until September. If that subsidy can be put off for a month that'd solve my problem since I already have an iPhone 4 that can be used in the interim.

Just responded in the recommend thread. Pasting below. But yeah, basically you will just have two activation fees, one when you start up the plan, one when you do upgrade to the iPhone whatever.

Duckman2008 posted:

This is the better idea, and basically the only downside is a 2nd activation fee.

On ATT the account holder (person whose social it is under) is the default person who can make changes and use upgrades, and that person can also designate other people in the account as authorized to make changes.

Litmus Test
Jul 11, 2013

SeaborneClink posted:

No, not at this point in time.

I'm in a similar situation: I'm on my parents AT&T Family Plan and we have 5 or 6 iPhones on it. I'm switching to a Nexus 4 & am going to use my iPhone 4's sim on it - will I need to drop off the grandfathered unlimited iPhone plan the rest of my family is on and go to a non-iPhone plan? I've disabled iMessages on my iPhone / sim and am under the impression I won't need to drop off it.

e: I understood nwin's question as whether he and his wife would have to drop unlimited. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Litmus Test fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 30, 2013

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Litmus Test posted:

I'm in a similar situation: I'm on my parents AT&T Family Plan and we have 5 or 6 iPhones on it. I'm switching to a Nexus 4 & am going to use my iPhone 4's sim on it - will I need to drop off the grandfathered unlimited iPhone plan the rest of my family is on and go to a non-iPhone plan? I've disabled iMessages on my iPhone / sim and am under the impression I won't need to drop off it.

e: I understood nwin's question as whether he and his wife would have to drop unlimited. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Didn't really think of that tbh. But could just one of us drop it if we don't use it much (me)?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Litmus Test posted:

This question is answered in the OP. Yes it's a long OP and it's near the bottom in the FAQ section. (And also on every other page if not every)

Beefstorm posted:

I want to upgrade, but I don't want to lose unlimited data. Help!
Unlike Verizon, you are not required to give up unlimited data when you upgrade. But just make sure you ask to keep it. Also, at least hear the reps out when they offer you something like a mobile share plan without unlimited data. We don't tell you to get rid of it unless you truly don't need it.
So here's the long and short of the situation. AT&T at the time of this post is not expiring unlimited data plans when upgrading devices. Will this probably change at some point in the future? Probably. But for right now, by upgrading you're securing it for another 24 months. Nobody knows whether that policy will still be the same when it's new phone time for you again.

Here are the ways you can currently lose your unlimited data:
  1. Leave AT&T for another service provider*
  2. Flagged as a top 5% data user for multiple months (this is an automated feature migration)
  3. Ask to be moved to a different data plan. (This includes Mobile Share)
  4. A rep inadvertently moves you to a tiered plan. (Everyone makes mistakes from time to time. This is recoverable, it may just take some time to get fixed)
*I'm not sure if you would be able to get your unlimited back if you port out, but vhange your mind and end up reactivating within 14 days or not.

As for your other question, the technical explanation is, "Yes, because phones are complicated and fickle creatures at times if a line isn't provisioned with the correct feature code for data, there is a good chance that things like data, visual voicemail and MMS won't work. This is why you can't just SIM swap between LTE phone and an HSPA/HSPA+ phone. Your line would be re-provisoned with the correct feature according to the IMEI you provide them."

AT&T has something absurd like 10+ feature codes for unlimited data alone.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

So my non-goon friend wanted to share this with you AT&T goons. Welcome to Jacksonville, FL.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

cuedotcom posted:

So my non-goon friend wanted to share this with you AT&T goons. Welcome to Jacksonville, FL.

I thought 40 mbps in Pittsburgh was nice. drat!

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
I'm having consistent signal problems at home. Dropped calls, no signal. If I keep (politely) complaining to support will they offer me a better deal on that Microcell?

For the cost of the device and the service I'd come out ahead breaking my contract and moving to a new carrier.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gendo posted:

I'm having consistent signal problems at home. Dropped calls, no signal. If I keep (politely) complaining to support will they offer me a better deal on that Microcell?

For the cost of the device and the service I'd come out ahead breaking my contract and moving to a new carrier.

You can ask, but it just depends on who you get. No guarantees.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Gendo posted:

The better your tenure, the lower your history of credits, the better the chances of a lower price. Also, try a couple of cor stores. My old manager handed them out like they were candy. But now we have a new manager who is very by the book.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Thanks guys. I'll keep following the support process with them for now then and ask if we keep not getting anywhere. I'm not trying to game the system to get something I don't deserve, I just wanted to understand what their policy was so I could decide how to proceed.

I hope they can get it resolved. I'd really like to upgrade to a Lumia 1020, but it doesn't matter how nice the phone is if I get no signal.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Gendo posted:

Thanks guys. I'll keep following the support process with them for now then and ask if we keep not getting anywhere. I'm not trying to game the system to get something I don't deserve, I just wanted to understand what their policy was so I could decide how to proceed.

I hope they can get it resolved. I'd really like to upgrade to a Lumia 1020, but it doesn't matter how nice the phone is if I get no signal.

Gendo I'm surprised you have coverage issues, AT&T is solid signal everywhere I've been in Mpls-StP area.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

c0ldfuse posted:

Gendo I'm surprised you have coverage issues, AT&T is solid signal everywhere I've been in Mpls-StP area.
I'm actually in Scottsdale, AZ. Coverage here is great in some areas and non-existent in others.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Gendo posted:

I'm actually in Scottsdale, AZ. Coverage here is great in some areas and non-existent in others.

I'm all for following the system and trying not to game. But if you have been a good customer thus far, just ask for a discount. Be like, "Listen, I've been a customer for a couple of years. I like you guys but I have been having service issues. Is there anything you can do to lower the price of that microcell?"

When I said that they knocked $100 off. That seemed fair to me at the time. But if your service used to be great but then dropped, try pushing a little harder to get it free. That's what I would do IMHO.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Gendo posted:

Isn't a bit early for the Winter migration?

(Always assumed for your unabashed shameful love of MN teams you would have to live here)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Just so everyone knows.

quote:

:siren:AWWWWW poo poo SON!!!:siren:

AT&T IS OFFICIALLY BETTER THAN VERIZON!!!*in regards to a study completed by JD Power and Associates ranking Overall Customer Care Satisfaction

This is in reference to this link. http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/02/jd-power-wireless-customer-care-survey/

I'm just a little giddy.